User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 17:45
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd / bd-rebuilder forum > bd rb beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (april 23rd, 2011)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
BD RB Beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. December 2008 @ 22:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
jdobbs just released BD RB in beta for those of you wishing to begin backing up in Blu-Ray format. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but you know it's got to be a good time. I received the beta version by email only hours ago, and fortunately I also received some new BD discs for Christmas to practice with.:D Please note that BD RB beta is publicly available for download by anyone interested in giving it a try. To download click on the link under this sentence.

CURRENT VERSION 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/BD-RBV03708.zip

Below is some setup info posted by jdobbs and re-posted here with his permission.

Quote:

Please pay close attention to the info below
!

It's important to use the same software versions that jdobbs is using to develop BD RB with to insure that all the parts are working together. This means that using the latest version of Avisynth, Matroska Splitter, or FFSHOW can or will eventually lead to problems. Below are links to the currently recommended versions for BD RB. As they are updated they will be changed, and if I forget I have no doubt that Creaky will catch it.

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/ffdshow_rev3326_20100319_clsid.exe

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/MatroskaSplitter.exe

AVISYNTH 2.57: http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/Avisynth_257.exe

BD Rebuilder Beta - Bug Reports Only

Ok. Although I don't think it's at a stable point yet, I've decided to release BD Rebuilder for some initial beta testing. Before you download it and decide to use it -- remember one thing. This is BETA SOFTWARE. It has bugs. It is NOT ready for production encoding. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you don't like it, don't use it... it is not being posted for opinions or comments, there is plenty of time for that later (after it reaches a level of stability that isn't there now). I am posting it only for testing to see where the majority of the bugs are.

If you decide to download and test -- please post any errors you find in this thread. Don't push bug resolution or keep asking for a fix. I will get to the reported bugs, but only when I can find the time. I'm pretty busy with my real life right now.

Please do not post any non-bug-related messages in this thread. I'd like to reserve it for bug reports only. If you want to start a "I wish" or "let's debate something" discussion, let's put it somewhere else, ok? If posting a bug, please identify your burner and playback device.

IF BD-RB DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU. JUST REPORT IT AS A BUG. Please leave out the "I wasted 16 hours of my time" commentary. If you don't know the risk of testing a beta you shouldn't be downloading this software.

In order to make this beta version work, you have to first install some other packages. Here's what you need to do:

1. Download and install the latest FFDSHOW and the Matroska Splitter. They are required for BD-RB to work and are free. After the install, run "Video Decoder Configuration" for FFDSHOW from the "START/Programs" menu, and make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled.

2. Download and install AVISYNTH 2.57 or above. If you are a DVD-RB user, it is compatible, so no worry. It is required for BD Rebuilder to work. AVISYNTH v2.57 can be downloaded from http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/Avisynth_257.exe or from http://www.avisynth.org.

3. Unzip the BD-RB.zip file. Put it in a directory of its own. I'd recommend putting it somewhere other than "C:\Program Files" until it has been tested more (because of Vista's virtualization).

4. It is highly recommended that you also download and install IMGBURN (see http://www.imgburn.com) on your system. You can actually burn with any software you desire (that supports UDF 2.50), but BD-RB recognizes IMGBURN and does the burn for you.

5. Read the LICENSE.TXT file found in the BD-RB directory. If you don't agree with the license. Don't use it.

6. Please don't post questions or comments on DECRYPTION or ripping methods. I have to assume you know how to do that or you wouldn't be a beta tester. I also make the assumption that you and will comply with applicable laws... I don't want to get in the middle of any of that.

7. If you decide to write to dual layer DVDs (BD-9/DVD-9), use ONLY HIGH QUALITY DUAL LAYER DISCS. I have found numerous cases where the same image works flawlessly with a quality (e.g. Verbatim) disc and fails (hangs) on a cheap one.

8. Recommended for Windows XP only: Download and install WMV11 from Microsoft, and set VC-1 decoding to "disabled" in FFDSHOW (allowing the WMV11 codec to be used). This seems to be the codec with the fewest problem on VC-1. For Vista or Windows 7 -- select "wmv9"

9. Please DO NOT replace the versions of software included in the BD-RB ZIP with other versions (e.g. replacing the 32 bit X264 with a 64 bit version). In doing so you are very likely creating a self-inflicted injury that will not be addressed as a bug.

How to use it:

1. Please note: This is NOT A DECRYPTER. It is a BD Reencoder and reauthoring package. If you are planning to back up discs that are encoded or copy protected using other software (such as AnyDVD) -- that is a decision you are making independently of BD-RB and it is assumed you are staying within the laws applicable to you. BD-RB is meant as a means of backing up copies of discs THAT YOU OWN. It is NOT meant to be used as a means for copyright infringement.

2. Either copy the disc to be backed up to your hard drive or read it from the original. You will find that BD Rebuilder will work faster from a hard drive.

3. Create a working directory somewhere in your file structure. I use a folder called "D:\WORKING".

4. Run BD Rebuilder. Select the source directory (the one containing the BDMV folder). Also select the WORKING directory.

5. Click on "BACKUP". Then find something else to do... because this is going to TAKE A LONG TIME. My system usually backs up a disc in about 12-16 hours. So you may want to consider running it overnight. Your experience will differ depending upon your computer's CPU and disc speeds. Why does it take so long? Because you are encoding at very high resolutions -- and they require a lot of work. Also, BD-RB hasn't been optimized for speed as yet... but in truth the real speed improvements will have to come with updates to X264 and faster processors.

6. After running you will find a directory in the WORKING directory that has been created. It will be named based upon the source. You must write this directory to a blank disc using UDF 2.50 format. If you have IMGBURN installed on your system, you can burn it from the FILE menu of BD-RB. Alternatively you can select "Auto-burn to Disc" from the SETTINGS/OPTIONS menu (and IMGBURN is installed on your system) and the disc will be burned automatically by BD-RB.

6. How good will it look? My experience is that rebuilding to a dual-layer DVD+R results in a backup that is virtually indistinguishable to the original. DVD-5's will work fine for movie-only encodes... and some full discs. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective. My advice is to try it and see.

I have done only limited testing on this program and all in a fairly pristine environment. My playback tests have all been on my SONY BDP-301S standalone unit and a 50" SONY LCD television. I burn using IMGBURN on a SONY BWU-200S Internal BD Burner (which also supports DVD+-R).

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. April 2011 @ 08:33

Advertisement
_
__
_
28. December 2008 @ 11:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's certainly not my cup of tea as i don't relish the thought of encoding so many gigabytes of data but i will be keeping my eye on the progress, cheers for letting us know.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. December 2008 @ 12:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So far it seems to be working quite well. The main point of interest is jdobbs attempt at not just getting the movie only but also keeping the menus as well. My first attempt turned out quite erll and 6402 has done three so far and all have worked out.

An encode does take a long time even with a rather powerful system. I can complete most reencodes in under 5 hours but that's with a Q9650 overclocked to 4 GHz. Most people are going to see 7 or more hours which means this something best done while one is sleeping.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. August 2013 @ 23:23

Vulcan94
_
29. December 2008 @ 22:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Can you describe the picture quality you're getting with your encodes for us?

Vulcan94
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
29. December 2008 @ 22:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:

I've been doing this for quite some time before BD RB was released and the picture quality is excellent. Think of it like this. X/H.264 is about 3 to 5 times more efficient than standard mpeg 2 format so in theory if it only used as much space and bitrate as a standard DVD then it should be considerably better. The bitrate even in the recorded space of a DVD/5 is still more than twice that of a standard DVD. I've been successful in backing up most 2 hour movies to a single layer DVD with 1080P, no artifacts, and no visual grain or mosquito effect.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

3 product reviews
_
30. December 2008 @ 07:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This looks like good news.
Can you use it to just remove all content but main movie, and then have the uncompressed and unencoded main movie stored as iso or files in a hdd folder.
I'm interested in doing this, so I can just stream movies from a server and keep the file size down, rather than having to take up space for extras and such or handle the original media all the time.

Also any idea of timescale to first release?

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
30. December 2008 @ 09:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Can you use it to just remove all content but main movie, and then have the uncompressed and unencoded main movie stored as iso or files in a hdd folder.

It does movie only which has always been my preference. Once the reencode is finished I use Imgburn to create an ISO before burning since Imgburn sets it up to the proper UDF file system for BD. Once the file is dropped onto my hard drive I mount it using Daemon tools and then play it before deciding to burn it.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. August 2013 @ 23:25

3 product reviews
_
30. December 2008 @ 12:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the info.

I'll certainly be getting the software when its released!

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
30. December 2008 @ 13:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I'll certainly be getting the software when its released!

No time like the present click the link below and download. Be certain to read the read-me file before setup.

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/BD-RBV01711.zip

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. August 2013 @ 23:26

3 product reviews
_
30. December 2008 @ 16:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the link, downloaded and ready to start loading and playing, just making sure I do things in the right order, as per readme.

Looks like another good excuse to upgrade my CPU soon.

My last obsession with having high end PC kit originally came from getting into rebuilding DVDs, so now I'll see how painful it is with BD, should take me back a few years to when the application was started and I had to walk away from the PC.

Do you have the link to where to leave bug reports, I saw a forum thread mentioned in the readme but didn't see a link to it.

Thanks

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
30. December 2008 @ 16:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Thanks for the link, downloaded and ready to start loading and playing, just making sure I do things in the right order, as per readme.

Looks like another good excuse to upgrade my CPU soon.

My last obsession with having high end PC kit originally came from getting into rebuilding DVDs, so now I'll see how painful it is with BD, should take me back a few years to when the application was started and I had to walk away from the PC.

I moved to a Q9650 and then overclocked it to 4.05 GHz and that seems to help but BD re-encoding is going to be an overnight venture.:D

The link below leads to the bugs thread.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

Vulcan94
_
30. December 2008 @ 17:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well, since I use DVD-RB's batch mode, letting it run overnight is a normal thing for me. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a Blu-ray burner. Any recommendations?

Vulcan94
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
30. December 2008 @ 17:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Well, since I use DVD-RB's batch mode, letting it run overnight is a normal thing for me. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a Blu-ray burner. Any recommendations?

You don't need a Blu-Ray burner just a reader. Here is one that I've been using with great success for a few months now. It even came with two copies of PowerDVD 7.0 BD edition.

Once you've ripped your movie to your hard drive and re-encoded it to a standard DVD single layer then you convert it to an ISO with Imgburn and burn it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106270

Of course I will confess to owning one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136137

3 product reviews
_
1. January 2009 @ 08:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Happy New Year to all.

Just finished playing with the software.

Backed up KungFu Panda from BD, to HDD with AnyDVD, then reworked 'main movie only' to DVD9 with BD Rebuilder, this only took about 7 hours, which I was surprised with, CPU usage was at 100% for a fair amount of time, but could still run other apps whilst processing.

Turned Output to ISO using ImgBurn and burnt to Verbatim DVD+R DL at 2.4X speed, with layer break set to auto, and book type DVD DL ROM

Haven't tried it on the TV yet, but on my 30" PC screen the results are stunning, I can't see any difference between the original and the backup using powerdvd 7.3 and GGC H20L BD drive.

Thanks for the heads-up and links, all seems to okay so far.

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2009 @ 16:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that may push me to go ahead and buy anydvd hd before the free lifetime updates are gone. the blank media and the drives will come down in price within a couple years

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit

3 product reviews
_
1. January 2009 @ 16:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Offer extended to Sunday, January 11 2009, unless it gets extended again, that will be it for lifetime upgrades.

I tend to always push people into buying AnyDVD when I do a new build for them, as it soon pays for itself, DVD rebuilder tends to be harder to get people into, as even though its simple to use for most people who've got some experience with backing up films, for new people it seems complicated (not sure why)

Blank Verbatim Double layer discs are only about a £1 each for printable, which is good for a high quality backup media. I was surprised how good the quality was, as the film was at 30% of it's original size. I don't ever think blank BD media will cheap, as its just more expensive to produce.

I've also just built a media PC and want to store selected HD movies on there, 1TB drives though are already seeming small, but now I can removed all the unwanted crap, it makes it far more feasible to do.

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
1. January 2009 @ 17:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
the blank media and the drives will come down in price within a couple years
AnyDVD is the only true hurdle left to the MPAA. BD read only drives are already down enough in price to get things going, you don't need a BD burner or BD media. I see no reason to backup a BD movie to BD media if the ones that I'm doing on single and dual layer standard DVD is so close that it looks like the original.

BigDK

Good to hear about your success. I remember when my first DVD burner cost me almost $300 and now I can get a BD burner for under $240 and a reader for a little over $100. I don't think that BD media will ever be affordable but then who cares, no one needs it.

_
1. January 2009 @ 18:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good points well made.
I never bought into Dual Layer blank media, thanks to DVD Rebuilder. Somehow i don't think Dual Layer blank media will ever catch on at this rate, never mind BD media.

edit- of course if any BD movies turn out to require Dual Layer media then so be it, but for now i'm happy watching others' progress with BD encoding :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. January 2009 @ 18:13

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
1. January 2009 @ 18:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
creaky

I've used only two dual layer discs thus far. The size of the final result is determined by the number of total frames in a movie and that can be calculated by looking at the total number of minutes divided into seconds and bits.

Quote:
You just work from the run time of the movie.

For example let's say you have a movie that has a run time of 2:10:14. That would be 7814 seconds. Now you have to determine the output size: a DVD+R (Dual Layer) holds 8,547,991,552 bytes or 68,383,932,416 bits. Divide that by the number of seconds and it means that, without any other considerations, you have a total of 8,751,463 bits per second (about 8751Kbs). If you assume a 6% overhead you will come to about 8400Kbs. Being the careful type I usually even take a little more off (because it takes lots of hours to encode, I don't want to oversize and have to do it twice). So let's round it down to 8200Kbs.

Now subtract the audio track. Let's say you are keeping one of the 640Kbs AC3 tracks... 8200 - 640 = 7560.

Quote:

3 product reviews
_
2. January 2009 @ 11:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I already have a load of double layer DVDs knocking around, as I backup Xbox360 games already, and certain films.

I will see what the playback is like on a cheaper double layer disc, as I tend to use bulkPaqs for the 360 games, as they work all the time (surprisingly) it may just be the 360 is more forgiving on media, when I backup Wii games, they tend to only work on Verbatim or Tys, and only when burnt at very low speed, otherwise its hit and miss with playback.

I presume that there are no plans to have BD rebuilder working on Linux?

I will run some tests on various versions of Windows and see what the encoding times are like on the same film.

AfterDawn Addict
_
2. January 2009 @ 12:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles, what brand of read only bd ODD did you buy?

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
2. January 2009 @ 13:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Sophocles, what brand of read only bd ODD did you buy?

I have two drives. A Lite-On OEM which I paid $119 for and an LG combo HD DVD and BD burner. I'm building a second quad core system dedicate to encoding so I grabbed a second drive.

Lite-On has another BD reader that goes for $89 but its BD read speed is only 4X vs the others 6X. That can be a factor in playback of high bitrate backups.

Edit: Forgot the link.:P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106277

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. January 2009 @ 13:58

_
3. January 2009 @ 03:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Sophocles:
Quote:

I've been doing this for quite some time before BD RB was released and the picture quality is excellent. Think of it like this. X/H.264 is about 3 to 5 times more efficient than standard mpeg 2 format so in theory if it only used as much space and bitrate as a standard DVD then it should be considerably better. The bitrate even in the recorded space of a DVD/5 is still more than twice that of a standard DVD. I've been successful in backing up most 2 hour movies to a single layer DVD with 1080P, no artifacts, and no visual grain or mosquito effect.

Question, BDs are encoded in Dolby true HD and DTS HD.
In the BD RB dvd-9 disc, how does a standard dvd player decode these audio tracts correctly ?

Life is Grand !

AfterDawn Addict
_
3. January 2009 @ 07:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bryston:
Originally posted by Sophocles:
Quote:

Question, BDs are encoded in Dolby true HD and DTS HD.
In the BD RB dvd-9 disc, how does a standard dvd player decode these audio tracts correctly ?
Originally posted by GM the wrong:
I should wait for a smarter person
...gm

hello Jo. ;)

edit: missed the answer on that baby.. ROFL. :P I never would have guessed that a DVD5 or DVD9 would be read as a BD on a BD DVD player.... man this is pretty cool....

NOW to add... see my next post in this series. :)

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. January 2009 @ 21:41

Advertisement
_
__

_

1 product review
_
3. January 2009 @ 07:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Stickied

afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd / bd-rebuilder forum > bd rb beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (april 23rd, 2011)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork