User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:05
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > 2 xp os on one pc-different drives
Show topics

Forums
Forums
2 XP OS on one PC-different drives
  Jump to:

Posted Message
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
9. June 2014 @ 14:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You need to boot to the OS you want update or install too

Advertisement
_
__
tgunn2760
_
9. June 2014 @ 14:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Do I delete the old chipset and install the one I downloaded for Asus A8N SLI?

Regards,

tgunn2760
ddp
_
9. June 2014 @ 14:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
boot off the home drive & install the chipset onto it not the pro as that works already.
tgunn2760
_
9. June 2014 @ 15:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There is a chipset installed on the Home drive, I attached a cap screen a few messages back-do I delete that and install the one you had me download?

Regards,

tgunn2760
ddp
_
9. June 2014 @ 15:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the chipset is to get your netcard & maybe soundcard online.
tgunn2760
_
9. June 2014 @ 15:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am lost. In the ethernet folder of chipset already installed on Home Drive F there is a folder named NAM, which contains
NAMSetup.exe, what is it?

If I doubleclick on setup.exe in the WINXP chipset folder, what will it install? I would have to be booted into Drive F-XP Home to do this, but...see question below...

Do I need to delete all files on XP Home shown on the cap screen a few messages back except for WINDOWS, DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS and PROGRAM FILES, and then install the WINXP chipset I downloaded?

Regards,

tgunn2760
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
11. June 2014 @ 01:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i said it in my last post which is at top of page 2,in simpler terms both xp's you have installed are separate from one another,so if there is no chipset installed to xp home then boot into it then install the chipset file you downloaded from the web.Once unpacked if for some reason it doesn't get Ethernet working it may need to be manually executed,if it won't for whatever reason & that includes using add new hardware in control panel then do the following.

using device manager make a note of what has yellow mark next to it

reboot machine so you are now in xp pro,device manager will provide make & model of missing devices in xp home,download the drivers for them direct from asus or from original manufacturer & install into xp home by booting back to xp home & installing,you understand now ? you want to update or install something in a particular windows operating system you need to boot into it first,this goes for any OS

Advertisement
_
__

_
tgunn2760
_
11. June 2014 @ 07:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, I get it, but I seem to already have a chipset installed on XP Home and do not know where it came from. It could not be from Pro, because I formatted the drive that the Home edition is on.

I attached a screen cap a few replies back if you want to have a look, should I delete everything except Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings?

Does it matter where the chipset folder is stored before it is installed? It is now on an external drive, should I move it to Drive F, the Home XP drive, and install it there?

I am concerned because the files installed on Drive F that look like a chipset installation are from 2007, and I cannot figure out how that happened since I formatted the drive last year before installing XP Home from a disc

Regards,

tgunn2760

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > 2 xp os on one pc-different drives

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork