User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 12:24
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > does this cpu need extra cooling
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Does this cpu need extra cooling
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
27. March 2014 @ 22:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Asus saber tooth x79.
Says 64 gig max

I did change the ram sticks around and that's when I lost the other 8 gigs. My bios can see 3 of the 4 stick inserted but say total memory is 8192 mb. I installed all the drivers on the mb disc already.

Advertisement
_
__
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
now im really,really curious.what ram (brand etc) are you using? third time ive asked.hey 2old,when i looked up the motherboard specs it said it supported 64gb.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by aldan:
now im really,really curious.what ram (brand etc) are you using? third time ive asked.hey 2old,when i looked up the motherboard specs it said it supported 64gb.
Yeah, i'll stop posting, my brain is not working tonight. I looked it up and knew it was 64 but typed 32.... guess getting old
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The ram is trident x
G.skill

F3-2400C10D-16GTX

ddp
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is it compatible with your motherboard? check the motherboard manual or motherboard site.
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In one of the bios tools it says

Slot 1 nothing recognized

Slot 2 abnormal / error

Slot 3 abnormal / error

Slot 4 OK

ddp
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
take all the ram out & use ram 4 to test the other 3 slots to see if works or not. if works then try 1 of the other sticks 1 at at time in each slot to see that works or not.
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Swapped slot 1 and 4 and now both slots are recognized and say ok.

2 and 3 were still bad. Swapped 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and now it says 2 is good but 3 is still bad

Maybe I'm just not putting them in hard enough. I pushing hard enough for them to click in so I don't get it
Originally posted by ddp:
take all the ram out & use ram 4 to test the other 3 slots to see if works or not. if works then try 1 of the other sticks 1 at at time in each slot to see that works or not.

ddp
_
27. March 2014 @ 23:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
might have bad ram as have had that happened with a customer's new computer i was setting up. can also have a bad motherboard.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. March 2014 @ 23:59

AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 00:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:

2 and 3 were still bad. Swapped 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and now it says 2 is good but 3 is still bad
with this last configuration it appears that slot 3 is bad and the ram in slot 3 is bad.

check by swapping the ram in slot 1 with that in slot 3 - they should both be bad then if i'm correct..
_
28. March 2014 @ 00:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by 2oldGeek:
Quote:

with this last configuration it appears that slot 3 is bad and the ram in slot 3 is bad.

check by swapping the ram in slot 1 with that in slot 3 - they should both be bad then if i'm correct..
I just swapped 3 and 4 slots. now 1-3 are good and 4 is bad. I guess one of the sticks is for sure bad. Looks like the mobo is good to go though?

AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 00:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sure is a strange bugger. Mark that ram stick and I would jump it around to make sure since 2 & 3 both showed bad that one time. : )
ddp
_
28. March 2014 @ 00:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that is why i said try 1 stick at a time to see if that stick works ok in each slot to see if bad ram, bad motherboard or even both. a board with bad ram might not bootup at all or could be bad slot.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 00:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that is why i said try 1 stick at a time to see if that stick works ok in each slot to see if bad ram, bad motherboard or even both. a board with bad ram might not bootup at all or could be bad slot.
@ddp do you know why only middle aged folks use that method to check ram?
_
28. March 2014 @ 04:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
not being middle aged,no,i dont know.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 18:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Hi aldan,
I was just going to pull ddp?s chain because I don?t think he realized that jerecho had a new mobo and bios with a mem test tool. With that, one doesn?t have to pull all of the mem sticks and rotate them through all the sockets. It only takes 2 or 3 swaps and 2 or 3 Max boots to determine all of the bad sockets and bad mem sticks. I think maybe that?s why jerecho was ignoring ddp?s suggestion to rotate the sticks one at a time. Lol
It looked like jerecho was doing it properly but maybe having a little trouble getting the ram seated good.
Anyway, young folks don?t do the single rotate method because they don?t have the patience and the old guys have peed on enough fences to have figured out some short cuts. LOL

CUL
2oG
ddp
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
never peed on a fence but did touch an electrified cattle fence once to see what it felt & it didn't phase me at all.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
never peed on a fence

So that's why you're a little short in the experience department...
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from a LOT of bad judgement. LOL

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation;
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves...
ddp
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
can also come with common sense. my mother didn't raise no stupid kid, she raised a smart boy!
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, I was so bright my Mother called me "Sun"...
ddp
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
except with the "o" not the "u" in it.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. March 2014 @ 19:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dammit, don't bust my bubble...........
_
28. March 2014 @ 20:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
never peed on a fence but did touch an electrified cattle fence once to see what it felt & it didn't phase me at all.
try being the last one in a line of people with the first one touching the fence.anyway back to topic.to the op,have you checked if there were any bios updates that address this issue?make sure also that it isnt a case of a bios update for the board to support your cpu.seen that happen before.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
1. April 2014 @ 19:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Hi aldan,
I was just going to pull ddp?s chain because I don?t think he realized that jerecho had a new mobo and bios with a mem test tool. With that, one doesn?t have to pull all of the mem sticks and rotate them through all the sockets. It only takes 2 or 3 swaps and 2 or 3 Max boots to determine all of the bad sockets and bad mem sticks. I think maybe that?s why jerecho was ignoring ddp?s suggestion to rotate the sticks one at a time. Lol
It looked like jerecho was doing it properly but maybe having a little trouble getting the ram seated good.
Anyway, young folks don?t do the single rotate method because they don?t have the patience and the old guys have peed on enough fences to have figured out some short cuts. LOL

CUL
2oG
I just spoke with Asus support and he said that the RAM wasn't on the qualified vendor list and said it isn't compatible. If it's not compatible then why would any of it work? The part number of the RAM is F3-2400C10D-16GTX

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > does this cpu need extra cooling

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork