User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the official pc building thread - 4th edition
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition
  Jump to:

In case you want to ask something like "What components should I pick for my new PC?", start a new topic to our PC building forum.
Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 13:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A dozen hard drives still make less noise than one single Optical drive :P A lot less noise in fact.
There is no longevity issue with the WD20EARS, pretty much all the faults are DOA, and a lot of them are from bad packaging on newegg's part, that's a complaint that crops up against all drives on the site.

Enjoy your 15-foot printer cable, nothing else USB will work over that distance, as USB's max specification is 10 feet :P

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 14:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ha ha! No new page bug! Loving that part.

I know people who use that long a cord. It'll be fine :p USB Hubs on the other hand. I won't be doing that any more.

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 15:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bought it! The badboy is on its way. I also bought the following UV LED Bulbs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800888058
That way I can modify my secondary PC's front light. The stock blue ones are almost dead. Half of it already is dead. The other half takes 30minutes to become partially visible. I didn't look at the current style, but I'm betting that they'll work just fine. If not, well...the UV bulbs were not that expensive.

I Next day aired the lot :S

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 15:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Heh, I had a Lazer LED identical to that, but with Yellow LEDs. With UV it won't be so bad, but they're actually a single light source deflected through three LEDs, so you get a bright beam in the middle, and two weak beams out the side, it looked crap :P
I'm after a set of 4" yellow CCFLs for the front of my case. They crop up on ebay every so often, but I'm usually too tight to spend the £7 on them :P

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 16:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm dissecting that light. I just want the bulbs. I'm hoping they're a typical design, and will go right in my current setup. Just replacing bulbs.

You know what I just realized? I have one Beige Optical drive in my Black case. In essence, the ugly duckling LOL! The ugly duckling (As it were) is quite possibly the best burner in my case! *knocking on wood* LOL!!!

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 16:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For those curious, the following is my secondary PC. Of course it's been modified in just about every way ;) MSI MBOX K9N6SGM-V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167009
Had to add the glow myself, but it is relatively close to what it should look like ;)

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 18:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice shopping skills. I wouldn't have noticed it was superimposed had you not said :P

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 18:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yah, I practice everyday. Its my favorite program. Though I'm starting to fall for FL studio :D

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. September 2010 @ 18:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good stuff, I love playing around with FL Studio :P

updated 10-Dec-13
Red_Maw
_
15. September 2010 @ 18:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bigwill68:
I don't if.I'm late on this but did ya'll Boys know that CoolIt Eco came out with a new radiator style for top end cooling customer was complaining about side panel fan touching the rear radiator mounted on the back and they decided hook it up to a top side one...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/coolit-c240-alc-eco-review/
Nice find, didn't realize they finally made a 240mm rad. Might consider getting one if I ever put decent cpu in my old case if they're cheap enough.

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. September 2010 @ 21:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Russ wrote:
Will,
I saw it but it was too case limited. You almost have to have a Bottom PSU case, with the right spacing for the fans and radiator on top, otherwise you will have to drill holes, something you do not want to do with the motherboard installed! I would also prefer to have a rad that big, mounted on the back of the case! It also has to be one loud mother, with 4 fans! Dang! Those 1366 i7s do get hot, don't they!

9500GT came today from MSI. Hopefully the third one will be the charm. I'll have to wait until my motherboard gets here from GigaByte first though.

Best Regards,
Russ

Well it would work in my cases the 590 & my 690II cooler masters for the sound it would'en be no louder than what we got hooked up now to are single Rad with the push & pull with scythe pulling and factory pushing and there not loud together at all...Good Luck with that Third Charm from my luck with my AMD Board Back to Gigabyte it goes My LAN went out completely. I can't connect to the internet at all. I installed both systems Win7 & XP nothing happen my eyes veering towards another board and whole new setup and case for the AMD system...I'm back on The UD3P and The Q9550 Rig for now so the 690 II is tore down and the board is packed ready to head back to Cali again:(
Will,
I don't like huge cases at all. That and I don't have any heat issues at whatsoever. The R-120 should work fine with an 1090T, as it's about the coolest running chip out there! Even overclocked to 4.1GHz, it only hit 44C in a 23C room, fully stressed.

Maybe you got one of those bad Southbridge 750 chips. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Lan is controlled by the Southbridge!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. September 2010 @ 21:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is nuts! Now I can't edit my reply to Will. It kicks me back to the first page, but no edit! Some pages are still messed up and I'm not getting any notifications at all except when I'm on AD!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

bigwill68
Suspended permanently
_
15. September 2010 @ 22:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Russ Wrote:

Will,
I don't like huge cases at all. That and I don't have any heat issues at whatsoever. The R-120 should work fine with an 1090T, as it's about the coolest running chip out there! Even overclocked to 4.1GHz, it only hit 44C in a 23C room, fully stressed.

You made that known to me once b4 my friend. I was only making a statment that would fit perfect in mine. I don't have any heat issues either at the moment with mine. I was touching on the noise part about the matter it would'en be making with dual fan setup push & pull on the Radiator...with the scythe's 120mm Fans pulling these right here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...5-058-_-Product

I still got 1 in it's packaged not even opened yet.Lol(Scythe SY1225SL12M) Great Fans

Quote:
Red_Maw Wrote:

Nice find, didn't realize they finally made a 240mm rad. Might consider getting one if I ever put decent cpu in my old case if they're cheap enough.

If you be the First here to get One Please share cooling info>...Lol I'm goin to try for the Coolit Vantage A.L.C. on the next Build..Instead it's caught my eye..for sure

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/vantage.html
http://shopping.coolitsystems.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2125/.f

Done out of Here!
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 00:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey russ, have you tried wiping all of your cookies and temp files clean? I haven't had one bug with the new thread...

Red_Maw
_
16. September 2010 @ 02:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Will, it's pretty unlikely I'll ever use that case again but sure if I ever come across one I'll share my opinion on the performance.

---

One of my 140mm fans has developed a squeak and needs replacement. From what I can tell there aren't many 140mm fans on the market so it looks like my options are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146002
http://www.jab-tech.com/Yate-Loon-140mm-...12-pr-3594.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Kaze-Maru...pm-pr-4626.html

I was going to get the YL since I've heard nothing except good things about them but the noctua looks good since it's supposedly nice and quiet. The other two just got thrown in for good measure. What do you guy's think; YL, noctua or other?

TIA

redmaw

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. September 2010 @ 02:06

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 02:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Russ, since everyone seems to be affected in different ways, I would definitely wonder what's going on with the cookies and or temporary internet files ;)

_
16. September 2010 @ 03:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It'll be nothing to do with cookies/temporary files and all that annoying Windows nonsense, it's 'just' a new page bug. Also it's nothing to do with the old thread being many pages long, it's just that when threads get that long it's a good excuse to start a fresh one. We've let the Admins know a few times, don't know they're on holiday or anything as i only really frequent a handful of regular threads these days.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. September 2010 @ 03:32

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 03:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It was worth a try. :P

I haven't had any troubles with this thread...

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 06:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Would love a Kaze Maru 2, but they're only sold in the US, and expensive to import :P

As for big cases, they're wholly unnecessary for all but top-end systems, I support Russ' opinions on that matter.

updated 10-Dec-13
bigwill68
Suspended permanently
_
16. September 2010 @ 08:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
As for big cases, they're wholly unnecessary for all but top-end systems
I use Mid Tower cases Only why have all that extra room if you don't need it. I agree with Sam...

@ Red_Maw

I have a few of those NZXT in my 690II cooler master at the Top they work well for me getting the heat out and there not loud Sam suggest them back when. I was about to build the my AMD Rig:)

Done out of Here!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. September 2010 @ 08:46

Red_Maw
_
16. September 2010 @ 14:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sammorris:
Would love a Kaze Maru 2, but they're only sold in the US, and expensive to import :P

As for big cases, they're wholly unnecessary for all but top-end systems, I support Russ' opinions on that matter.
Just realized the Kaze Maru's are 120mm screw spacing so they won't fit.

I've ordered some stuff from the UK before and shipping wasn't outrageous at all imo.

@ Red_Maw

I have a few of those NZXT in my 690II cooler master at the Top they work well for me getting the heat out and there not loud Sam suggest them back when. I was about to build the my AMD Rig:)
The NZXT's eh. I have a few 120mm NZXT fans which are reliable but not exactly quiet lol. The white blades put me off though since it'll clash with rest of the system making it look like I scavenged parts for it :\ Such a tough decision lol.

As for cases, I like the huge ones. That's just my preference though, nothing to do with necessity. I really wanted to get a MM U2-UFO but spending that much on a case is just insane.

_
16. September 2010 @ 14:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by creaky:
Just bought a Hitachi 2TB hard drive, only £83. (was going to go down the WD20EARS route but can't be doing with the different formatting that those drives need, lazy i know but a change is as good as a rest). We use the Hitachi's at work, they seem like very good/fast drives, can't vouch for their noise though as they're in a very noissy server room.
So i've finally got around to starting my replacement of the (6) 500GB drives in my Antec 900. Have to do it piecemeal though, maybe one or two drives a month as i will need a backup 2TB drive for each internal one. Going to buy an Akasa DuoDock also, for easy mounting of the external drives as and when i make changes. I read that the Hitachi's can be noisy, which might well be annoying after 3 years of 13 silent WD5000AAKB & AAKS drives, but if the drives are too noisy i read that there's an acoustic utility that can be run to silence them.
Did some testing on the new Hitachi drive at work, it's quiet as anything, and have now almost finished copying the contents of one of my 500GB movie drives over to it. (Mounted both the source and destination drives internally for the copy, didn't fancy USB2.0 for that amount of copying).
Plus i got a 1TB 'WD My Passport' drive today, very nice indeed (once the crappy WD software was removed), it's for carrying around to different work branches. Loads of room for a ton of movies and music too :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. September 2010 @ 14:59

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 15:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Should be getting my WD20EARS today. Hope it was packed well. Or newegg is gonna know the definition of angry ;)

_
16. September 2010 @ 15:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mine was well packed, though the main supplier we use for miscellaneous PC bits and bobs are always very good at packing stuff, plus it's always next day delivery (which i don't have to pay as the postage is absorbed by whatever else we order), plus i don't have to pay the VAT for staff purchases either. Bargain. The Hitachi has just finished copying, time to shutdown and take out the original 500GB and boot up to stare in awe at all the free space. By the time i get around to replacing the other 5 internal 500GB drives, i'll have a whopping 12TB!. There's going to be 13 500GB drives spare by then, using them as backups for internal 2TB drives might be a tad confusing, i'll have to come up with a labelling system (it's either that or buy another 6 2TB externals for backups)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. September 2010 @ 15:17

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. September 2010 @ 15:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ebuyer?
Been a while since I ordered a hard disk from them. Scan's packaging is soso, CCL's was pretty good last time I used them for a drive.

updated 10-Dec-13

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the official pc building thread - 4th edition

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork