User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:20
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > 3d tv > 3d tv's - are they worth it?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
3D TV's - Are they worth it?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Page:12Next >
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
20. May 2010 @ 09:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi All, First post in this forum (yay!)

My question is are 3d tvs worth it then? Whats difference between them with say my 48" ambilight 1080p TV? Do you need any special glasses to view 3D movies?

Thanks
Mike
Advertisement
_
__
_
20. May 2010 @ 13:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No

Whatever you say, say nothing when you talk about you know what for if you know who might hear you, you know what youll get. Youll be sent off to you know where for you would not know how long. Maybe I could search through the threads so you dont have to ??
Paula_X
Suspended permanently
_
20. May 2010 @ 16:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
save your cash.. buy the best not 3d ripoff you can get... maybe it will last a couple of years past the warranty ..
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
20. May 2010 @ 19:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by miketrev:

My question is are 3d tvs worth it then? Whats difference between them with say my 48" ambilight 1080p TV? Do you need any special glasses to view 3D movies?

Thanks
Mike
i doubt they are worth it myself
but would like to see more a on them by someone i know that has 1 for a month or so
also you get the 3d glasses with the tv
otherwise they cost a few£££

ALL INFO FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY

HOOTER007
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. May 2010 @ 04:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you need good eyesight as 20% of the nation cannot watch it or if you have a lazy eye it wont work for you.went into the local DID as they had just got one in,looked very cool with images hopping off screen,if you look close you can see image juddering in fast action,i missed it,priced around e3000,maybe you still have to buy new 3d dvd or blu ray.
not rushing out to buy just yet,what happens when a big gang turns up who wears the glasses.maybe they should include 4 pairs for the average family.
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
22. May 2010 @ 07:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alright bud, you say if you look close you can see image juddering around in fast action
'but you missed it' thats a sign of that lazy eye starting to play around again,lol
id say in a month or 2 the price will drop a bit in some sale or you will get the family free glasses

HOOTER007
harry1938
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
25. May 2010 @ 17:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have seen and tried it sony it comes out next month Ithink you get 2pair of glasses with it extra pairs are £100 per pair and any one else watching without glasses will be watching blurvision
_
26. May 2010 @ 03:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I saw them on tv and yes you need the glasses to watch it and yes you get a pair with any 3D tv.Might look good watching one but the list of problems you can get from watching too much 3D tv is very long.Hopefully in a year or 2 they will be safer and cheaper.wouldn't recommend getting 1 yet unless your one of them people that likes to keep up with the joness.

as for eyesight my eyesight is really bad i can't read the writing on my computer moniter without my contact lens or glasses.havnt tried 3D tv myself except at the Imax cinama about 5years ago.Dont think it will do my eyes anygood.don't even know if it will work properly on my eyes.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. May 2010 @ 20:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
I saw them on tv and yes you need the glasses to watch it and yes you get a pair with any 3D tv.Might look good watching one but the list of problems you can get from watching too much 3D tv is very long.Hopefully in a year or 2 they will be safer and cheaper.wouldn't recommend getting 1 yet unless your one of them people that likes to keep up with the joness.

as for eyesight my eyesight is really bad i can't read the writing on my computer moniter without my contact lens or glasses.havnt tried 3D tv myself except at the Imax cinama about 5years ago.Dont think it will do my eyes anygood.don't even know if it will work properly on my eyes.
get a 30" monitor it has bigger writing lol,cant see tv guide.

2 product reviews
_
30. May 2010 @ 20:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Also, if you've got depth perception problems, you can't watch in 3D.

"Everybody Lies!"
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
30. May 2010 @ 20:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

just seen your post from earlier, tut`tut now we know why you want a 3D tv,lol

HOOTER007
AfterDawn Addict
_
3. June 2010 @ 15:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
new panasonic 3d is interesting as it has a viacess card stuck in the side,pity they dont have a dish to use it on lol,as all their sat dishes are on astra.
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
11. June 2010 @ 08:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cheers for all your input on this, guess ill stick with the blue and red glasses for now :D

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
chocco1
_
24. September 2010 @ 14:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
are the 3d glasses you buy from the cinema any good for the tv as there only cheap but seem to work ok ,they look like sun glasses
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
28. September 2010 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
no wont work mate -

frankacne
_
4. October 2010 @ 08:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by chocco1:
are the 3d glasses you buy from the cinema any good for the tv as there only cheap but seem to work ok ,they look like sun glasses
Originally posted by hooter007:

just seen your post from earlier, tut`tut now we know why you want a 3D tv,lol

Thanks
Mike
frankacne
_
4. October 2010 @ 08:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What a complete and utter waste of time all this is. My friend has spent a small fortune on HI Tec, HD stuff in recent months and now he learns he should be buying 3D. He will of course need a new pair of glasses and may need to check his contact lens prescription. What he really needs most of all is to get out more and get some exercise and fresh air. As for myself dealing with my blogs, my updates to scientific literature and to Windows update and all the other work which keeps me welded to my monitor and chiar far to long... its time to call a halt. Then their are my several hundred emails per day, 3D who needs this. Most of the movies are drek anyway. oh wait a minute the rain has stopped and the sun is shining, i am off for a walk and i can assure you it wont be to my 3DHD stockist and thats a promise.

28 product reviews
_
26. November 2010 @ 23:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't think it's worth it. Not only is there an extremely small amount of (good) 3D content available it's just way too expensive which really makes it not worth it all. If you thought you can just buy a new TV to "upgrade", think again. If you already have a decent Home Theatre setup like myself (Full HD Plasma, Receiver + Surround Sound System, Blu-ray Player), you have to replace EVERYTHING so that every device, cable, etc, is 3D compatible. Then you have to buy the glasses, which you guessed it, are way overpriced.

The ?3D? viewing experience will appeal to some, while others would much rather see it in a theatre, while to some others it just gives them a headache or it really isn?t that special now nor was it years ago. 3D TV?s are already made that don?t require glasses, so it just shows you that this thing is just a gimmick and anyone who buys into is going to look back and say why the hell did I buy this, it just isn?t worth it. Heck I?m not even too sure how long blu-ray and 1080p will last. Other countries (mostly Japan) already have TV?s that are at least twice the resolution of 1080p, and they?ve had these for years now. So if you are going to jump on the 3D bandwagon, just wait till you do and see how the market does for it, cause there's always something better right around the corner.
Speculant
_
29. November 2010 @ 20:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Until every single TV show and movie released is in 3D (by 3D, I mean without glasses), not worth it.
macblob
_
30. December 2010 @ 06:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I did buy the Sony 3D TV and Sony 3D BluRay player 4 weeks ago.

I did not try the 3D anything on it at that time because it was an option for later. Well 4 days ago it was later and I bought the 3D Glasses (one pair $149.95 US) and the 3D transmitter ($49.95 US). YES, it was pricey....I bought only one pair because I wanted to see what the hoopla was about it.

Well I have to admit it is true that the 3D movies I seen so far did jump out of the box and made a big difference in 3D imaging. The bad part is that the movies (3 of them) that were in 3D were all animation....Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Bolt, Monster House. All three movies were free. One came with the TV, one with the Blu-Ray player and the other one was free with the $24 blu-ray regular purchase(it was a promo). I did not have jittering or skips or anything. Maybe because I have a Sony 240Hz/55" LED TV.

As for buying $40 to $50 3D movie at those prices...I do not think so. Maybe if they come done in price in another year or two like the $8 Blu-Ray movies(aka Walmart specials). As for now I would say save your money and just by something that gives you the option of using it later. In other words do not buy the upgrades.

It is also TRUE that you need to have everything 3D compliant when going 3D. Do to HDMI v1.4(a) is the standard for 3D. My $400 Yamaha RX-V765 AV receiver is useless for 3D. I had to hook the BluRay directly to the TV to watch 3D and to listen to 5.1 surround sound I had to hook an audio optical fiber cable from the TV to the AV receiver. TV speaker suck!
macblob
_
30. December 2010 @ 06:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Also for anyone else thinking on 3D read the Wikipedia file on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_TV

It is a wear just like <Beta/VHS>, <DVD/laser-disc>, <BluRay-HDDVD>.
The 3D without glasses will not be for awhile....also to keep in mind:

What Sony and Walt Disney go with is usually the trend.
Kirsten2
_
4. January 2011 @ 04:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by macblob:
I did buy the Sony 3D TV and Sony 3D BluRay player 4 weeks ago.

I did not try the 3D anything on it at that time because it was an option for later. Well 4 days ago it was later and I bought the 3D Glasses (one pair $149.95 US) and the 3D transmitter ($49.95 US). YES, it was pricey....I bought only one pair because I wanted to see what the hoopla was about it.

Well I have to admit it is true that the 3D movies I seen so far did jump out of the box and made a big difference in 3D imaging. The bad part is that the movies (3 of them) that were in 3D were all animation....Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Bolt, Monster House. All three movies were free. One came with the TV, one with the Blu-Ray player and the other one was free with the $24 blu-ray regular purchase(it was a promo). I did not have jittering or skips or anything. Maybe because I have a Sony 240Hz/55" LED TV.

As for buying $40 to $50 3D movie at those prices...I do not think so. Maybe if they come done in price in another year or two like the $8 Blu-Ray movies(aka Walmart specials). As for now I would say save your money and just by something that gives you the option of using it later. In other words do not buy the upgrades.

It is also TRUE that you need to have everything 3D compliant when going 3D. Do to HDMI v1.4(a) is the standard for 3D. My $400 Yamaha RX-V765 AV receiver is useless for 3D. I had to hook the BluRay directly to the TV to watch 3D and to listen to 5.1 surround sound I had to hook an audio optical fiber cable from the TV to the AV receiver. TV speaker suck!
Thanks for all the good info. I was also thinking about purchasing the Sony 3D Tv.
_
9. February 2011 @ 07:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cheers for all your input on this, guess ill stick with the blue and red glasses for now :D

Thanks
Mike
no i wouldnt buy one because of tv and the new 3DS comming out it is pointless realy :)

:) :) :( :( 8) 8) 8( 8 (

28 product reviews
_
10. February 2011 @ 22:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by macblob:
Also for anyone else thinking on 3D read the Wikipedia file on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_TV

It is a wear just like <Beta/VHS>, <DVD/laser-disc>, <BluRay-HDDVD>.
The 3D without glasses will not be for awhile....also to keep in mind:

What Sony and Walt Disney go with is usually the trend.
Even Blu-ray isn't that great. There is, and has been for years, storage media that well exceeds the capacity of blu-ray discs. Even countries like Japan have TV's with higher resolutions then everyone else has (1080p). But why don't we have this? Money. The Blu-ray Association, Sony, other companies whathaveyou, all know that it is a lot cheaper to sell blu-ray discs and 1080p TV's. Even if they wanted to move on to better technology, they have too much money invested in Blu-ray and HDTV's. Everyone could be living with more advanced technology right now if it wasn't for corporate greed. 3D is nice, but it definitely isn't amazing.

Honestly, I would wait a bit longer to buy it, because the technology is still being constantly improved, yes 3D TV's that don't require glasses are coming out, however right now, the ones with the glasses gives a way better 3D experience but even then it's not that amazing. But it just shows you that 3D at home can still be improved, and is as we speak.

Another factor is content. There are very few good 3D movies out for home viewing. VERY FEW. Yes almost every movie you see now is hopping on the 3D bandwagon, but they're (directors/studios) just using it as a gimmick to sell their crappy movies. For example, the new Spider Man movie will be shot (of course) in 3D. Crappy Director with very little experience directing, let alone in effectively using 3D: check. Poor cast: check. 3D used as a gimmick and won't shine through the movie, or will probably distract viewers from the actual movie: most definitely. Pretty much every movie that has been "shot in 3D" has done this now. Yes it can be a very cool technology, but all signs point to stay away from it now, and give it time. It will be a long while till people rather watch 3D movies at home, instead of going to an IMAX theatre. By that time, one can only dream, but we might even have holographic TV's, even then I wouldn't be surprised if companies hold it back from the public. I'm a bit biased though, unless 3D really enhances the movie expereince, I much rather watch it in 2D. Except for IMAX only movies, and very few 3D Movies, the majortiy of the time I find 3D just too damn distracting from the actual movie. There's always a thing as too much of a good thing.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. February 2011 @ 22:52

Advertisement
_
__

_
Mathieu_A
_
28. February 2011 @ 13:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Are they worth it? I honestly don't know. I won't buy one, that's for sure. Wanna know why? Because watching 3D TV gives me a splitting headache after a couple of minutes. Tried a test setup at a Sony retailer last year.

So if you're in to this type of TV, first try out if it won't give you any physical problems. It would be a huge waste of your time and money if you can't enjoy it after you purchased the system.

Page:12Next >
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > 3d tv > 3d tv's - are they worth it?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork