User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 09:52
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps3 - everything else > ps3 not spinning discs
Show topics

Forums
Forums
PS3 not spinning discs
  Jump to:

Posted Message
bkgit
_
1. November 2013 @ 10:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello.

Ive searched these forums and scoured the Internet for answers for my problem. Ive tried a bunch of solutions other people managed to solve their similar problems with, but to no avail. Now I come here seeking help.

I have an old PS3 CECHG04 giving me problems; more specifically it doesn't seem to spin any discs anymore. I replaced this PS3s laser about a year ago and after that it worked perfectly. It was recently I discovered that it doesn't seem to want to read discs anymore. I realized this about a week ago and at that time I hadn't used it for disc games for several months.

After disassembling the blu-ray reader I noticed that while the laser moves, the discs aren't being spun. A blue light is being displayed, that from what I understand means that the PS3 is recognizing that a disc is inserted and the loading symbol is also visible in the top-right corner at the XMB.

As an experiment I tried to insert my old laser assembly with the defective lens, that I replaced a year ago. The PS3 couldn't read the discs of course, but it could spin them fine.

After that I dismantled this old assembly and put its disc spinning device(no idea what its called) into my newer laser assembly. I tried to attach an image of this device, but I couldn't as apparently new users aren't permitted to post links.

I had no luck replacing the new laser assembly's disc spinning device with the one I confirmed to be working.

So now Ive come here and created a thread of my own and I hope someone can offer some help. Ill gladly accept any suggestions or ideas as Ive ran out of them myself.

Some questions:

-Could it have something to do with the laser itself? I thought about this, but it seemed unlikely since the discs aren't spinning, but they spin fine using my old and busted laser.

-Could it be purely mechanical? That some plastic parts aren't aligned right or something? If so perhaps someone more knowledgeable could tell me what to look for.

Thank you for reading my thread. It I have mistakenly placed it in the wrong subforum I apologize and ask for the benevolent mods to move it.

TL/DR:

-Replaced old and broken laser assembly with a new one
-PS3 reads disc fine for half a year
-Recently it stops spinning the discs
-Laser still appears to be able to move
-Replace the spinning device on the laser assembly one I confirmed to work
-Discs still not being spun by the PS3
What do?
Advertisement
_
__
xbox09
_
2. November 2013 @ 16:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
did you replace the laser with the exact same one??
here is a guide to help you out - http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+P...uRay+Laser/3557

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. November 2013 @ 16:09

bkgit
_
2. November 2013 @ 17:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by xbox09:
did you replace the laser with the exact same one??

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I should have tried to type it out more clearly.

I did replace the original laser assembly in the PS3 with a new one(the same laser model) about a year ago. This new laser worked fine after the replacement. I didnt use my PS3 very frequently and just recently I noticed that it doesnt spin the discs anymore.

When inserting a disc now the laser moves very slightly as if its trying to read the disc, but while it does this the disc is still and is not spinning.

I tried to insert my old laser assembly which I replaced a year ago. This one actually spins the disc, but of course it cant read it because the actual laser is broken.

This is what made me question if my new laser was actually broken or not.

Could the problem still be that the actual laser is broken? I'd like to know before I shell out for yet another laser.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. November 2013 @ 17:08

_
2. November 2013 @ 18:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
its most likely the mechanic thing that spins the disc is broken.my paint work on that pic isnt the best but you get the idea.

2 other mechanic things that could be an issues.either side of the laser.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. November 2013 @ 19:05

bkgit
_
2. November 2013 @ 18:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
its most likely the mechanic thing that spins the disc is broken.my paint work on that pic isnt the best but you get the idea.
I tried to replace that one with one I had confirmed to be working, but it still didnt spin the discs. Ill give it another try though and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
bkgit
_
3. November 2013 @ 08:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
An update:

I think I've tried every combination of spare parts and it does not seem to work. My old laser can read DVDs fine, but not games. My new drive can't seem to read anything anymore and I guess it can spin discs fine, it just won't do it if it can't read the disc.

From this I can only conclude that I have a second dead laser on my hands and have to get yet another replacement.

I have ordered a new laser of model KEM-400AAA and I will report back when I've received it.
bkgit
_
10. November 2013 @ 05:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I ended up getting a new lens and it works fine and discs are being spun by the PS3. Contrary to what I first believed the spindle motor works fine and it seemed to be a case of yet another busted lens. At first I was under the impression that discs had to be spinning before the laser would activate and attempt to read the disc, so that's what confused me. So for anyone who encounter the same problem of the PS3 not spinning the discs I can only suggest that you replace the lens or the entire laser assembly. Like I said I only got myself a new lens and it works fine together with the old spindle motor.

Thanks to the people who replied and came with suggestions. As I mentioned my PS3 now works fine and I sure hope this third lens won't break down on me like the two before it.
Advertisement
_
__

_
rampipe
_
24. November 2013 @ 14:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello! I have the same issue and was just wondering if buying a new drive fixes the problem or is the issue to do with something else?

I'd like to save time and brain damage by swapping out the whole drive, but don't wish to buy one if it doesn't fix the problem!

Any help would be great. ;-)
Related links
Download PS3 trailers from AfterDawn's gaming site

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
Pachter: Sony likely to cut PS3 prices next week 6 15. August 2017 News comments
PlayStation 4 can stream PS3 games, reports say 12 24. October 2016 News comments
Sony reveals free PS Plus games for Vita, PS3 and PS4 owners 1 7. June 2015 News comments
PlayStation Now subscriptions headed to PS3 next week 1 6. May 2015 News comments
PlayStation Music powered by Spotify now available on PS3, PS4, Xperia 1 31. March 2015 News comments
Buying 'Destiny' for PS3, Xbox 360? Bungie giving vouchers to upgrade to current gen for free 1 8. September 2014 News comments
PS3 not spinning discs / new laser no light 3 8. May 2014 PS3 - Everything else
ps3 fat, ylod fix, can does not work right- 2 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
What is Cobra ODE for PS3? 1 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
how to unban my dex ps3? 10 16. March 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps3 - everything else > ps3 not spinning discs

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork