User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 20:18
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps3 - everything else > ps3 start up/hdd problem
Show topics

Forums
Forums
PS3 Start up/HDD problem
  Jump to:

Posted Message
TimeStamp12
_
20. June 2013 @ 15:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Community,

Having a bit of problem with my PS3 lately. I've messed around with it and there is a bit of a rundown on events to explain it all:

-I currently own an old phat 40GB model PS3
-which I had bought/replaced with a 250GB 2.5" laptop HDD. (This worked amazingly for quite a while until during some update a few months back.)
-After the system downloaded and installed the update; it went through its normal restart routine, but on start up it would just sit at a blank screen, unresponsive.
-I would turn the power switch off, back on, and start up it
-Stars up just fine, but says the HDD is corrupted and would need to run a check
-check clears, system continues to main screen and everything works; but wants me to update to the latest version

-- rinse and repeat

-after messing around with this on and off for a little bit. I just let it go
-come back recently (after several months of being turned off), same thing happening.
-Mess around with trying to get it to update and not come up corrupted for a few hours.
-After some messing around, on one particular manual start up nothing appears on the screen.
-Decide something is major wrong with HDD and put original 40GB back in to format 250GB through PC.
-40GB was working perfectly fine when I took it out. Has been stored in the anti-static bag and packaging 250GB was received in.
-Put 40GB into PS3, turn it on. screens stays blank, 10 seconds later system shuts itself back down into standby mode. solid red light

biggest difference between my NOW problem and all other threads I've read and most people have a loss of power or blinking red that is unresponsive. Mine goes straight to a solid red "standby" light and I am immediately able to start up it up again

-At some point in messing around with the 250GB and 40GB, I did attempt to go into safe mode for do a restore. Looking back I am now under the impression I didn't give it enough time to start up and just assumed after a few seconds that it wouldn't; not realizing it does take a couple long seconds to actually come up.
-Attached both 250GB/40GB to PC, clear the drives, full-format to NTSC, then command-line format to FAT32
-Place 250GB followed by 40GB drive into PS3, start up safe mode.
-Attempt to Restore System, says "this may take a while". after a few seconds, goes to blank screen and powers itself down.
-Immediately go back into safe mode, try other options: Restore Database, Restore File System. Same things happens

-At one point during these up/down of trying to get it to do something with the HDD, it said something about not being able to access the device. Haven't been able to reproduce, though might've been when i quick formatted the drive originally
-I have also had a "serious error" message come up when trying to Restore File System.I havent been able to reproduce that either

-I also tried the fan test (power switch off, hold down eject, and flip switch back on)
-Ran the fan high speed for a good 15 seconds, then shut down into a blinking red light. Was unresponsive except for 3 beeps when touching the eject
-Had to switch power off and back on for it to become responsive again

At that's kind of where I am at. I just currently cleaned and repartioning/formating my 40GB drive through the CMD disk part command center. Which I have a gig-stick FAT32 formatted with an official PS3 update on it as per official website.

I am going to try to stick the 40GB back in as a full formated NTSC and System Update through the safe mode. If anything happens from there I will post back shortly. Otherwise, any insight on what you guys think the problem may be would be most appreciated.

And sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to be thorough.
TimeStamp12
_
20. June 2013 @ 16:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
UPDATE**

after full formatting the 40GB in NTSC. I placed it into the PS3 with the latest update from the Playstation website on a flashdrive.

I started it in safe mode, did a system update and went through drive format successfully.
It is now installing the System Update
TimeStamp12
_
20. June 2013 @ 16:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
UPDATE 2**

system as succesffully updated and is now going through first time set up.
Related links
Download PS3 trailers from AfterDawn's gaming site

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
Pachter: Sony likely to cut PS3 prices next week 6 15. August 2017 News comments
PlayStation 4 can stream PS3 games, reports say 12 24. October 2016 News comments
Sony reveals free PS Plus games for Vita, PS3 and PS4 owners 1 7. June 2015 News comments
PlayStation Now subscriptions headed to PS3 next week 1 6. May 2015 News comments
PlayStation Music powered by Spotify now available on PS3, PS4, Xperia 1 31. March 2015 News comments
Buying 'Destiny' for PS3, Xbox 360? Bungie giving vouchers to upgrade to current gen for free 1 8. September 2014 News comments
PS3 not spinning discs / new laser no light 3 8. May 2014 PS3 - Everything else
ps3 fat, ylod fix, can does not work right- 2 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
What is Cobra ODE for PS3? 1 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
how to unban my dex ps3? 10 16. March 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps3 - everything else > ps3 start up/hdd problem

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork