Show topics

Forums
Forums
PS3 Y.L.O.D
  Jump to:

Posted Message
ThePersonNo.873293
_
19. August 2012 @ 09:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello, Everyone. I am one of the lucky ones to have YLOD and I burned my board terribly.

It maybe a dumb question but do all PS3s with YLOD have badly burnt motherboards? because Im attempting to buy one that I found online that is also YLODed (because he did'nt have thermal paste). So that if the one I saw online isn't badly burned, the same paste may do the trick.

And how do I Identify a burned motherboard because the pictures posted by the said seller is not of good quality. And also I don't know how dismantle it. I only saw the board when I went to have it fixed.
Advertisement
_
__
xboxd00d
_
19. August 2012 @ 11:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would imagine not all ylod ps3 will show signs of burning on the mb, yours must av got very hot, u need it well ventilated (not jammed up near a wall/cabinet so the expelled hot air can escape).
As for buying another board with ylod, I would not bother, I looked into it extensively and the reason it happens is overheating causes the tiny solder traces to break, and all the online guides of using a hot air gun to reflow the solder may temporarily fix the ps3 but usually do more damage in the long run (similar to the old Xbox 360 towel trick).
The only way to fix ylod is to have a professional reball it, this can be quite expensive so it would prob be cheaper just to buy a used ps3 off eBay!

"Trying is the first step towards Failure" Homer.J.Simpson
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. August 2012 @ 14:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A) The cause of YLOD is not overheating (atleast in most cases). It's the changes of temperature (extension and contraction) that causes microcracks in the lead-free solder. Even consoles that have been well-ventilated get the YLOD (even the slims do). It's the same reason why Xbox 360s get RROD.
B) The board can show burn marks, mine didn't, but the harddrive had some brown heat marks on it.
C) Opposite to the Xbox 360 you can actually fix the YLOD for good by reflowing it, but I wouldn't bother with the one that had no thermal paste, that may be gone for good. Mine has been working for over a year now, what I did can be seen here:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-285/ps3_overheat-913152/

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
xboxd00d
_
19. August 2012 @ 16:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Eisherz:
what I did can be seen here:
I find this guide laughable, Sony spent thousands developing this machine which has adequate self cooling, and the few that r unlucky to ylod just got a bad egg, on one occasion mine was switched on during a hot summer evening and the fan sounded like it was gonna start pushing the console off the table it was blowing so hard, until this point it had never done this before so I didn't know it compensated in this way!
Like I say this only happened one time, and it's been on during hot days since!
If it needed extra cooling for use in extreme temps it would have been implemented in dev stages!

ThePersonNo.873293
_
20. August 2012 @ 06:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by xboxd00d:

The only way to fix ylod is to have a professional reball it, this can be quite expensive so it would prob be cheaper just to buy a used ps3 off eBay!
Probably.

And is a reball a 100% permanent fix? Is it worth it?
But If I buy a "bad" mb than keep my board that is in a "worst" condition, don't you think I'll have a better chance? What do you think?

A)
C) Opposite to the Xbox 360 you can actually fix the YLOD for good by reflowing it, but I wouldnt bother with the one that had no thermal paste, that may be gone for good. Mine has been working for over a year now, what I did can be seen here:
hmmm...My brother have tried reflowing it but its longevity was not guaranteed (Which I have forgot to include above) So I tried to consult a professional and said that it will be temporarily fixed and will last less than a couple of months. I guess I burned it too bad. Im very skeptical about this so I might consider xboxdoods suggestion. Thanks for the help though!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. August 2012 @ 06:38

xboxd00d
_
20. August 2012 @ 08:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The reball involves fully removing the CPU and resoldering it back in place with tiny balls of solder, the guy who offered to do mine assured me it was 100% permanent repair, he was charging £70 (or $110 usd), as for wondering if it's worth doing all depends on whether u can't get a cheap working one off eBay or something, but this could be dodgy cos someone may be selling u a time bomb what they bodge fixed with a hot air gun.
And I think buying another mobo which has ylod has even higher risk cos there is a very high chance they have tried to DIY fix (as making the board very hot to reflow can damage other components).
If you want to price up a pro reball try google "ps3 repairs in [your area]* or even same search on eBay, or even try local electrical repair store!
Although with yours having scorch marks it may be beyond repair, I still think your best option is to replace the console (with same model) and keep your old 1 for spares, but to be fair the only 2 things worth hangin onto r bluray drive and the hard drive!

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. August 2012 @ 13:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The harddrive isn't either, a 40 or 60 GB harddrive is close to worthless.
Find the "guide" as laughable as you want to, my box is still running after over 13 months, I did not have to reopen it.
"Adequate self-cooling...""The few that are unlucky to get YLOD..." Good one. First of all, the older Japan-produced models might have had adequate self-cooling (which I doubt, as mine is one of these units and still got YLOD), but after producing in China and switching the 19-blade blower with a 15-blade one that "adequate self-cooling" went down the drain. I also would call that self-cooling a bloody joke, the blower only transports the air through the lower part of the PS3, the upper part where the PSU and the BluRay-drive are located is standing air. And don't get me started on the fully-closed housing of the later PSUs.
Also I don't know if there have been any statistics on how many % of PS3 got the YLOD, but that number is quite significant (I read something about 50% of all Xbox 360s RRODing and about 30% of all PS3s YLODing, but I don't know how reliable that was, but coming from my own experience that can be true). The reliability of Sony's development team can be seen in the fact that the PS3 slim still gets the YLOD.
Oh, and by the way: those reballings only have a success-rate of like 50%, depending on the quality of the reballer.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
xboxd00d
_
20. August 2012 @ 18:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The harddrive isn't either, a 40 or 60 GB harddrive is close to worthless.
Find the "guide" as laughable as you want to, my box is still running after over 13 months, I did not have to reopen it.
"Adequate self-cooling...""The few that are unlucky to get YLOD..." Good one. First of all, the older Japan-produced models might have had adequate self-cooling (which I doubt, as mine is one of these units and still got YLOD), but after producing in China and switching the 19-blade blower with a 15-blade one that "adequate self-cooling" went down the drain. I also would call that self-cooling a bloody joke, the blower only transports the air through the lower part of the PS3, the upper part where the PSU and the BluRay-drive are located is standing air. And don't get me started on the fully-closed housing of the later PSUs.
Also I don't know if there have been any statistics on how many % of PS3 got the YLOD, but that number is quite significant (I read something about 50% of all Xbox 360s RRODing and about 30% of all PS3s YLODing, but I don't know how reliable that was, but coming from my own experience that can be true). The reliability of Sony's development team can be seen in the fact that the PS3 slim still gets the YLOD.
Oh, and by the way: those reballings only have a success-rate of like 50%, depending on the quality of the reballer.
You need to go outside get some fresh air pal, I ain't got the time or patience to get into a techno war of words, u plug the fucker in an watch movies/play games etc, if it's broke, get it fixed, if it costs too much fix, buy a new 1, only trying to help the guy out.
As for your retarded comment on reballing, of course it's success depends on the person doing it, my van needs a new head gasket, do I ask the dodgy guy down the street who just got out of prison, or do I get the respectable garage owner who has looked after my vehicles for years??
Lmao

ThePersonNo.873293
_
21. August 2012 @ 03:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Woah! take it easy, guys.

I already found a reballer less expensive than buying a used one.I guess I'll just let him see it first.
Thanks for the help everyone.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. August 2012 @ 03:58

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. August 2012 @ 12:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To stay with your example, xboxn00b, for 110 US$ all you get is the shady guy fresh out of prison, someone who does this legally, who has to pay taxes and everything, can't do this for that money, it's a 2 hour job, maybe more. Also in the EU (which includes GB) leaded solder is forbidden to sell, so of course it's not a 100% permanent fix.
But your head may be way too high up your own arse to realize that, so I guess I am out.

ThePerson, if that guy you got there seems legit, you might give it a try, but I personally wouldn't, just not worth it.

xboxd00d
_
21. August 2012 @ 16:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To stay with your example, xboxn00b, for 110 US$ all you get is the shady guy fresh out of prison, someone who does this legally, who has to pay taxes and everything, can't do this for that money, it's a 2 hour job, maybe more. Also in the EU (which includes GB) leaded solder is forbidden to sell, so of course it's not a 100% permanent fix.
But your head may be way too high up your own arse to realize that, so I guess I am out..
You seriously need to laid pal

Advertisement
_
__

_
ricosport
_
4. September 2012 @ 12:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
FIX YOUR PS3 NOW
check ps3lightsfix.com
Related links
Download PS3 trailers from AfterDawn's gaming site

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
Pachter: Sony likely to cut PS3 prices next week 6 15. August 2017 News comments
PlayStation 4 can stream PS3 games, reports say 12 24. October 2016 News comments
Sony reveals free PS Plus games for Vita, PS3 and PS4 owners 1 7. June 2015 News comments
PlayStation Now subscriptions headed to PS3 next week 1 6. May 2015 News comments
PlayStation Music powered by Spotify now available on PS3, PS4, Xperia 1 31. March 2015 News comments
Buying 'Destiny' for PS3, Xbox 360? Bungie giving vouchers to upgrade to current gen for free 1 8. September 2014 News comments
PS3 not spinning discs / new laser no light 3 8. May 2014 PS3 - Everything else
ps3 fat, ylod fix, can does not work right- 2 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
What is Cobra ODE for PS3? 1 7. May 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
how to unban my dex ps3? 10 16. March 2014 PS3 - Modding & Hacking

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps3 - everything else > ps3 y.l.o.d

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork