User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 01:22
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > news comments > watch: dvd player used to hack ps2
Show topics

Forums
Forums
WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2
  Jump to:

The following comments relate to this news article:

WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2

article published on 29 June, 2020

Two decades after the PlayStation 2 console was released, a working exploit targeting the DVD player functionality is demonstrated. In its life on the market, the PS2 has been hacked in many ways. The most obvious and complete method of hacking a PS2 is through the use of a modchip, most of which have to be soldered to the mainboard of the unit. Outside of modifying the board, there were ... [ read the full article ]

Please read the original article before posting your comments.
Posted Message
MikeMoy
_
10. July 2020 @ 07:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You state "The holy grail for booting unsigned / unauthorized code on a PS2 would be a method that required no modification at the hardware level"

This has already been achieved many many years ago via Free MC Boot which is a soft mod which requires no hardware modification.

An indeed Free MC Boot would be considered to be the holy grail as it does not rely on old failing PS2 disc lasers as the above method does. Free MC Boot can run code from memory devices such as a HDD or SSD.
Staff Member
_
15. July 2020 @ 11:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by MikeMoy:
You state "The holy grail for booting unsigned / unauthorized code on a PS2 would be a method that required no modification at the hardware level"

This has already been achieved many many years ago via Free MC Boot which is a soft mod which requires no hardware modification.

An indeed Free MC Boot would be considered to be the holy grail as it does not rely on old failing PS2 disc lasers as the above method does. Free MC Boot can run code from memory devices such as a HDD or SSD.
Thanks for the reply MikeMoy.

As stated in the same paragraph I said the holy grail would be a method that required no modification at the hardware level, "just insert the disc and watch it boot."

I am aware of FreeMCBoot but afaik you require a memory card or HDD for that to work? With the new method exploiting the parsing of DVD-Video files you could create a disc that can load homebrew code or a backup without the memory card mod or the need for a HDD or anything.

I probably could have been clearer. Also, perhaps FreeMCBoot has changed over the years. It has been many years since I have touched my PS2, it is gathering dust somewhere (modded with IIRC DMS4 Pro).
MikeMoy
_
16. July 2020 @ 02:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Been about 8 years since I used FreeMCBoot myself. Yes you require a PS2 memory card for FreeMCBoot to work, note people playing PS2 games have PS2 memory cards. FreeMCBoot requires no hardware modification it is all done at software level i.e. if you remove the memory card from the PS2 the FreeMCBoot functionality will be completely removed from the PS2 and it will just run as a regular PS2. The PS2 memory card can still be used to store PS2 games saves as the FreeMCBoot data on the memory card only takes up a small amount of space.

The HDD is optional, you can run copied games from CD-R or DVD-R or you could put those same games on a HDD an run them from that and take advantage of faster loading times and avoid the hassle that comes with using 20 year old failing PS2 disc lasers.

In my opinion if you gave people the option in the present time of being able to play copied Playstation 4 games from burned discs or copied Playstation 4 games from HDD they would choose HDD for the convenience and performance benefits it provides.

Cool to see that there are still people working on modding the PS2 with this new hack.
Related links
For more PS2 discussion, please visit our sister site, Blasteroids.com
Read our PS2 backup tutorial & information package

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
First PS2 games on PS4 available now including GTA, Twisted Metal 10 13. December 2015 News comments
Sony: PlayStation 4 very likely to surpass PS2 in profitability 19 10. June 2014 News comments
ps2 can display 3 1. June 2014 PS2 - General discussion
how to mod a ps2 1 16. May 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Two PS2 Slims - One Accepts Swap Magic, one doesnt... All Detail inside 1 1. May 2014 PS2 - DVD backup discussion
How to burn PS2 games with Free McBoot 2 20. April 2014 PS2 - Software boot discussion
PS2 Hard Drive Loader 1 1. April 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Convert from PS2 to TV format? 1 4. March 2014 Convert video to another format
PS2 AR Max Hardware problem 4 21. January 2014 PS2 - General discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > news comments > watch: dvd player used to hack ps2

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork