User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 07:33
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > which transcoding tools produce the best picture quality.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
brian100
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
28. June 2004 @ 13:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just a flying visit

S-Y-K-E-S. You may be interested in this (being a devout Shrink user)

DVD shrink development has re-started. It seems that the author is aware that his "project" is falling behind other similar products. He intends to concentrate purely on improving "image quality".

If anyones interested you can read about it here :-

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=c85e9fb3eca6d06f68080bbaf9b66f72&threadid=37290

It would be just soooooooo good if Mr Shrink could come up with some more magic !.

Looking for my old AD

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. June 2004 @ 13:40

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. June 2004 @ 13:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's still a damned good ripper expecially if one was going to use a transcoder with limited editing functions. I use it to gauge bot audio file size and the basic structure of a DVD, and then deselect those audio tracks I don't need. With rebuilder and CCE its uses are somewhat limited.

An interesting link brian, I'll look forwared to an improved DVD Shrink, I'd rather keep up for free but I'll pay to get better.
_

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. June 2004 @ 13:56

brian100
_
28. June 2004 @ 13:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have found DVDshrink very useful for CCE/Rebuilder. I have been experimenting "joining" 2 movies with shrink then running through rebuilder to re-encode. The results have been surprisingly good.

Looking for my old AD
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. June 2004 @ 13:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey brian, good to hear from ya. Glad to see you didn't totally disappear, you missed all the commotion. That's a very intersting forum. He's asking for input and is not familiar with instantcopy or dvdcopy2 either. it might be worth a visit to tell him our findings on the matter. He's not interested in cce because of time constraints. Still, we could have input on a major freebie software that has probably been all our mainstay at one time or another.

GO VOLS !
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. June 2004 @ 14:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When I say its uses are limited I mean that you can choose your audio tracks with dvdrebuilder and its structures and extras with DVDremake. Since you have to rip the whole movie to begin with its just faster and more secure with DVD Decrypter than it is with Shrink. But for uses with say instant copy or other transcoders with limited edting abilities it can be a real jewel.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. October 2004 @ 10:58

brian100
_
28. June 2004 @ 14:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bigo

There are some pretty "heavy hitters" on that forum. It's well worth spending a few hours on it. Any input, from us, I'm sure will be noted. A strong list of "beta testers" has been assembled, prepare for fireworks.

Wouldnt it be just typical of Mr shrink to come up with something "special" & blow (well close the gap) the competition apart ?

As you may well know ive had a few, how shall we say, "problems" recently on this forum. They appear, thankfully, to have passed.

Looking for my old AD
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 16:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Brian,
Checked out the site and DVDShrink's explanation of his engine pretty much complements what we have been saying here. The software is decent, but breaks down under heavier compression. I also noted a request for more editing options, such as inclusion of titles, when editing. Also, DVDShrink mentioned that compression of multi angles is a nightmare. Sort of goes to what we have been saying; problems occur more in the re-encoding (shrinking phase) than decryption phase.

Shrink was up front and asking for input. Seems he was dealing with a Shrink fan club, more than a group of honest testers. I'll go back and see if the waters change. A few did enter requests for improvement. Overall, I got the impression, Shrink is the greatest and no one should say anything against it. Note the author is wanting to make improvements due to the software falling behind. The author sees the problem the fans are missing.

I am a DVD Shrink fan as far as that goes. I do however notice its limitations. The software has saved my bacon in the past when other programs had headed south (not working for some reason or other). Like sophocles, I have found some extra uses for Shrink; such as an analysis and diagnostic tool. I go along with the author that some improvements are in order. I look forward to an improved DVD Shrink. I noted it was not going to be a rewrite, but improvement of what was already present. So there are no hopes for a new DVD Shrink.

A lot of your heavy hitters have devoted a lot of time to DVD Shrink and its promotion. So, some of the input from them comes off with a lack of impartiality.

Alcohol 120 (software, not the drink)
AnyDVD
CloneDVD2
Daemon
DVD Decrypter
DVD2one
DVDCopy2
DVDIdentifier
DVDInfopro
DVDShrink
DVDXCopy Platinum (XCopy and Xpress)
Nero (with Recode2)
Region + CSS Free (Region Free)
Roxio (The one that doesn't play well with others, works on my system)
Smartripper

The above list is some of the software and utilities I have (some retail and some free). The programs I have are not trialware. So, I have used them and can continue to do so. Some do a better job than others and some do a job when others can't. When I talk of these programs it is with experience and not just what I've read. As I get programs that do a job better, I tend to use the ones that do the best. Time differences for these programs are negligible, unless someone uses Shrink to write an image file to the HD. There DVD Decrypter or the like makes more sense. The above list is not all of what I have, but what I am willing to talk about at present. I have some things in the works that I don't have a very good understanding of and want to get more experience before opening my yap.

What I am saying is that there are a lot of programs and a lot of ways of doing things. We all carry our biases with us. The pursuit is the proverbial better mousetrap; which hasn't been built yet. So, one shouldn't get bogged down and limit oneself to a single software program. Sort of use your best and test the rest. When and if the better mousetrap is built, how would one know if they use only the one program, DVD Shrink or another?
_

'Brobear'

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. June 2004 @ 02:59

AfterDawn Addict
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
broooobeeeear, I agree mostly with what you say, but I did come away from the site with a feeling the author is genuinely interested in any ideas out there and a desire to improve his prog. Because most do seem pro shrink, there were some who pointed out IC8 and one with Intervideo, I think the author would listen to what we had to say. He as much as admitted he isn't up on IC8 or dvdcopy 2. I think someone needs to point him in their direction as far as video quality improvements. The basics of shrink are sound and it is user friendly and wouldn't it be great if we had something to do with it's overall performance in a new updated version? I believe he needs to see the results of these 2 softwares and what they have to offer as far as his search for improvement. I have a fond allegiance to shrink and would love to see it come to the video forefront again. I got my start with it(and decrypter) and so did many others. Brian, great thread, thanks for pointing it out.

GO VOLS !
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
brobear

Wouldn't it be all that and a bag of chips too(a line I picked up from my students)? I think it's wonderful that Shirink is working on his project again. If he can make an improvement in picture quality and make it as good as what I'm paying for then I say YES.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. June 2004 @ 17:42

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bigorange said:

I agree mostly with what you say, but I did come away from the site with a feeling the author is genuinely interested in any ideas out there and a desire to improve his prog.

Brobear said:

Note the author is wanting to make improvements due to the software falling behind. The author sees the problem the fans are missing.

I also noted a request for more editing options, such as inclusion of titles,

Guess I shouldn't have buried those little goodies so deep. The Shrink author shows the interest lacking in the devotees.

As you say BigO, there were some who mentioned other programs. Usually followed by all hail DVD Shrink. There were a few who brought up legitimate questions and suggestions.

The author made it clear this would be an improvement of the existing program. Some of what was said would be a major work if not impossible. An internal viewing tool would have to be incorporated to find a particular scene for locating for enhanced editing. How could the software locate scenes by itself, too many movies and too many scenes? So a time factor of involvement will be passed on to the operator. Some changes wouldn't be practical. His looking to a different manner of choosing frames and interpreting what to encode might be feasible. I am curious to see where the author goes with the improvement project. He seems to be well aware of the issues. He honestly appears to be seeking good input. Hope he gets it and DVDShrink comes back as a better program.

'Brobear'

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles,
I am in whole hearted agreement. I would love to see the DVD Shrink come to the fore front. It is little things like competition that fuels R&D. What could be more fuel than a competent free competitor?

'Brobear'

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
We new what you meant brobear.

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 17:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
-sawright-
but was the operative word for my response. Didn't doubt your catching the drift.

'Brobear'

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. June 2004 @ 17:56

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 18:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles,
Did you notice the author of Shrink addressed a bunch of the questions we were dealing with over the past weeks? Most notably damage to video files and the issues of multi angle support.

'Brobear'

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. June 2004 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes I did, and I think that he was surprised that there was an ongoing open discussion about it.Whether it caused a difference I don't know but anything is possible.

S-Y-K-E-S
Suspended permanently
_
28. June 2004 @ 23:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Seem's to me like bigorange has bin picked on his whole life, don't cry it's ok.
I did'nt come in here to pick on no one or infact anyones methods, I can't really put up any video quality pics for the matter that I'm to busy with a little 40 gig hd to even waste my time & effort on a forum full of such rude indaviduals (u know who u r)
As for my hardware being slow thats not the case at all (WELL IT AINT TOP OF THE LINE BUT IT'LL EAT ALIVE A P4)
(AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 512MB RAM 7200 RPM HD & 32 MB GEFORCE 3)

If it's of any help "I'm sorry verbal" But Bigpink needs to stay in his place. telling me & I quote
Quote:
you'd get your ass kicked but good where I live, which btw, you wouldn't last a day
I must be pretty lucky, cuz I don't have to goto jail over you, lets leave it at that.
You have no idea who your shit talkin yet you keep doing it, use your brain man, it was only chat !!

Anyhow enough of that BS I shared my personal experiences with you on TRANSCODERS !! not encoders get over it & if u all don't believe me about DVD Shrink 3.1.7 then transcode "Armageddon" with both nero2(2pass) & DVD Shrink & u will see where Nero fails, its such a blockY,wavy & blurry picture,
Then come talk like your the man, I'm 60 dvd's plus in experience, But that don't mean that I wont try another method, anyone know of a wicked trasncoder or even an encoder (besides DVD Rebuilder) ??
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
29. June 2004 @ 02:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Edited in case someone might make sense.

'Brobear'

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. June 2004 @ 10:22

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
S-Y-K-E-S

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

When you made your first post you began by insulting everyone who contributed to this thread. You used lanaguage that was both unkind and thoughtless. You also implyed that you were superior to everyone by calling some of the people followers and and then by declaring that we have to "take it from a pro."

What did you expect that members were going to do, coronate you while throwing flower petals in front of you of as you made your way to the throne? This no longer about choices of transcoders its about your disrespectful and thoughtless conduct. You keep making it sound like it was all the fault everyone else, as though you're the poor little victim and that you played no part in this mess which is absurd.

The statement below is by far the worse statment made by anyone during the entire exchange and I can only say that you're lucky I'm not a moderator.

"I dunno why some feel like your gettin raped in the arse or somethin, jus tell daddy to leave you alone at night or at least tell mom that daddy rapes you, don't take it out on me"

Who knows what darkeness lurks in the recesses of your mind that made it possible for you to pull this perversity out of it, but it must be of concern to someone.

Now if you want to continue this mess just keep returning and stirring up discontent but trust me it will eventually catch up to you.

_
_
_

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. June 2004 @ 06:54

siber
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In other words, S-Y-K-E-S, tone it down. An apology is not absolutely necessary but it would make things a lot easier.

When you come into a place where other people have spent some time already and know each other fairly well, the best thing NOT do do is the start throwing your weight around right from the start. If you are a 'Pro' and you have a lot of knowledge that could be very helpful to others, it is better to let those others recognize that all by themselves. Shouting never works.
S-Y-K-E-S
Suspended permanently
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ Sophocles ... Funny thing is that u actually believe the bs thats commin outta your mouth,
Why dont u post the rest of that page instead of jus 1 quote? let it be known how u lost control
LOL,
I never said i was a victim, furthest thing from it but go ahead play the "I'm mad at sykes game"
I used to play it when i was 10 too
like the bear said let the moderators do their job & stop complaining about it

PS on your comment
Quote:
Now if you want to continue this mess just keep returning and stirring up discontent but trust me it will eventually catch up to you
So let me get this straight its bad enough that u insult me but now i'm supposed to stop returning because u don'tlike me?
what planet r u on?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. June 2004 @ 05:35

siber
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
S-Y-K-E-S,

That quote cannot - under ANY circumstance - be considered acceptable. Taken out of context or not, it will only put you at risk for getting banned from the forum. I suspect one more like that will do it. Make sure you do check the rules of the forum.
S-Y-K-E-S
Suspended permanently
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Siber i'm new here give me a chance, My 1st intentions where to help on the forum so i signed up but at this point ppl here (not saying any names cuz they know who they are) can't stand to be wrong so they tryed to insult me & when that was too lame & it didnt work the next best thing is for them to complain against me like i said b4 about 4 or 5 ppl at KVCD.ORG told me this would happen at afterdawn but what can u do, I know i'm right so end of topic
I wonder how many other honest ta heart newbies left because of rude senior members, let it be known to the mods

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. June 2004 @ 05:43

siber
_
29. June 2004 @ 05:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
S-Y-K-E-S,

I think I AM giving you a chance...More than one, really.

I appreciate the thoughts in your last post. Regardless of the fact that you may or may not be right about some issue, it is always best to keep your cool, make your point with facts and evidence at hand and let the point stand for all to see.

I went through this when I joined and so did most of us.

I still think you should make peace by admitting that your choice of words, earlier on, was - and I'm being nice - 'poorly chosen'.
Praetor
_
29. June 2004 @ 07:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Me thinks this thread has become just a tad too personal .. time for everyone to take a breather.

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
Advertisement
_
__

_
Praetor
_
29. June 2004 @ 19:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
On second thought...

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > which transcoding tools produce the best picture quality.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork