Show topics

Forums
Forums
Power Supplies
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. February 2011 @ 12:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OT, but long time no see greensman! :)

MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
20. February 2011 @ 13:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah welcome back buddy, good to see you again :)

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. February 2011 @ 14:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by shaffaaf:
OT, but long time no see greensman! :)
Thanks fellas. ;)

NOT been gone, just lurking as the Gurnard PRO usually does. :p

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
Red_Maw
_
21. February 2011 @ 01:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sammorris:
What are you upgrading to? 600W is massive overkill for your current system.

Of those units:

Corsair CX 600W - crap, avoid

What makes the CX units crap? I think you mentioned it before but I've forgotten.

_
21. February 2011 @ 03:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was reading up on CX power supplies a little, from what i remember, Corsair went el cheapo on them, in respect of their max output. So a 500W unit wouldn't be capable of delivering anywhere near 500W, something like 380W. Can't remember the exact details, i'll see if i can find an example link ~ http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/837679-psa-corsair-cx-series-5.html - have a read thru the whole thread but posts 44 & 45 seem to sum it up.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
_
21. February 2011 @ 09:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK~ after checking the price for zalman ZM500-HP its nearly the price for a HX650w, but for my future build, i still think its a OverKill! but maybe i can keep it for longer?

SEX
Now Ive got your attention please read my post above
Own: Computer, PS2, PS3, PSP and Asus UX32VD i5 Ultrabook
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. February 2011 @ 10:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by GTR35:
OK~ after checking the price for zalman ZM500-HP its nearly the price for a HX650w, but for my future build, i still think its a OverKill! but maybe i can keep it for longer?
Nothing wrong with getting a little larger PSU. Especially modular, since u can use the cables needed and not worry about a bunch of mess to hide later. Let us know what u go with and how it does for ya.
_
21. February 2011 @ 10:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeah, will do. But won't be getting it anytime soon tho~ ^^

SEX
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. February 2011 @ 11:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by creaky:
I was reading up on CX power supplies a little, from what i remember, Corsair went el cheapo on them, in respect of their max output. So a 500W unit wouldn't be capable of delivering anywhere near 500W, something like 380W. Can't remember the exact details, i'll see if i can find an example link ~ http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/837679-psa-corsair-cx-series-5.html - have a read thru the whole thread but posts 44 & 45 seem to sum it up.
Yeah corsair have been cutting corners all over the place now, it's very disappointing. Negative reviews of their memory are slowly building up. A real shame as Corsair was one of the companies we used to really be able to trust.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
_
21. February 2011 @ 11:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
all companies will have their highs and lows...
but hopefully their psu is still in its highest quality tho~

SEX
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. February 2011 @ 12:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The TX units still seem OK for now, but the new CX units are garbage.

updated 10-Dec-13
_
21. February 2011 @ 12:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TX will always be my back up plan, if i don't have the budget for either HX or the ZM

SEX
Red_Maw
_
21. February 2011 @ 17:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by creaky:

Originally posted by sammorris:

Yeah corsair have been cutting corners all over the place now, it's very disappointing. Negative reviews of their memory are slowly building up. A real shame as Corsair was one of the companies we used to really be able to trust.
That is very disappointing. Seems like everyone is trying to churn out the cheapest product possible these days.

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. February 2011 @ 19:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by RedMaw:
That is very disappointing. Seems like everyone is trying to churn out the cheapest product possible these days.
Yes I agree... almost everyone is trying to cut corners instead of supplying the consumer with a worthy product and superior service. It's a shame, really it is!!! :(

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
_
22. February 2011 @ 01:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
they just want to make money now, they are more for quantity over quality~ its quite sad...

SEX
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. May 2011 @ 15:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The CX series are a no no eh? So you'd spend a little more on the Antec perhaps?
Power supply comparison

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
7. May 2011 @ 15:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Easily. The CX units haven't fared well at the moment, lots of reports of them failing short term. The Antec units seem a lot better this time round.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
7. May 2011 @ 15:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The reviews certainly speak for themselves ;) Too bad. Corsair have had my respect for sometime now. Now they remind me of Asus. Well...perhaps not that bad LOL!

I see that it does not come with a power cord. Rather silly, but ok. I of course have spares lying around. Probably 4 - 5 of them :S

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. May 2011 @ 15:23

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
7. May 2011 @ 15:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nah, if Asus made PSUs I'd run for miles, but at least Corsair haven't got that bad yet. The TXV2 units are meant to be reasonable.

updated 10-Dec-13
Red_Maw
_
12. December 2011 @ 19:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I bought a used psu and the seller accidentally shipped me a 800w OCZ elite X stream instead of the one I 'ordered'. Any reason I would want to avoid this psu? The reviews I read were mostly positive so for as little as I paid I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of returning.

Thanks,

redmaw

edit: user reviews seem to be pretty bad actually

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. December 2011 @ 19:34

Jeffrey_P
_
12. December 2011 @ 20:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Power supplies with brand names are rarely designed and assembled by them.

With all the garbage in my PC I also only use a 800w supply. Mine has been humming along since 12/09.

The only real way to know if a PS lives up to their marketing hype is to read up on tested supplies.

Tom's Hardware did/do testing on a bunch of supplies at one time. It's surprising how many so-called 1000w + supplies fail below their sticker wattage compared to much lower rated supplies.

Quality vs marketing BS.

Jeff
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
13. December 2011 @ 00:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I owned an OCZ for a time. 700W GameXstream I believe. It seemed to handle my array of components. My GPU being the most hungry. Now I have a Corsair. I knew when I held it in my hands the first time, that I had a quality power supply ;) Before my current Corsair, I had a 550 watt Corsair. I believe I was bordering on tapping the potential, so I upgraded to my current. The only way I could tax my current would be to run 2 very hungry GPU's in Sli/Crossfire. The 550W stayed in my old Secondary PC, which I sold to a work Buddy.

The reason I sold the OCZ, was because I believed it could be a problem with my overclocking. It was not. A user here on afterdawn probably still has it, if it's still running. You still using that PSU Russ? It seems like you may have told me once upon a time, that it ultimately failed.

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > power supplies

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork