User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 06:49
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
  Jump to:

Posted Message
nepgunes
_
2. December 2004 @ 08:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Londor, thanks a lot...havent done it yet but thanks if it works..i dont have an external burner I jave a G4 iMac with the superdrive which has a dvd burner in it, is that OK? or do i need to buy another burner?
thanks in advance
Advertisement
_
__
Londor
Suspended permanently
_
2. December 2004 @ 09:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You will not have a problem using the Superdrive. You may have had trouble in you were using an external drive hence the PatchBurn thing.
_
2. December 2004 @ 12:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NO you don't drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto toast. You have to create a DISC_TITLE first. Then you can drag VIDEO_TS over it (obviously in UDF/DVD format).

The VIDEO_TS folder is a SUBFOLDER, not the DISC_TITLE.

Londor
Suspended permanently
_
2. December 2004 @ 12:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When you drag a VIDEO_TS folder onto the Toast window it will never be the title. Toast creates a title "My Disc" and the VIDEO_TS folder becomes a subfolder.

I have never created a disc title first nor used all caps and I leave blank spaces in the title and never ever had a problem but I have read that some standalone DVD players may have problems with this. Never came across one though.
_
2. December 2004 @ 12:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
One problem I run into when I try to drag a folder onto toast is that sometimes it doesn't default as DVD. So if I'm not paying attention I'll burn an HFS or ISO disc with a VIDEO_TS folder!

nepgunes
_
2. December 2004 @ 13:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Londor & media Guru, thanks.. i got it to work
appreciate it
zealous
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
3. December 2004 @ 08:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I NEEED HELP! ... im reading what you guys have said about ripping and burning dvds ...but this is the problem im running into... im using a mac to try to rip a dvd to VCD ...can anyone direct me on what direction to take... i feel likeive tried everything ... im even down to th epoint now of trying to rip dvd to AVI then send the AVI to my pc and use Nero to burn ... is there an wasier way ...helpppp? thanks
_
3. December 2004 @ 08:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This thread doesn't really cover going dvd to VCD. Toast can do it though with the video tab. You may have to extract to quicktime first but I'm not a pro in that area.

_
4. December 2004 @ 20:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've made some edits to my ripping guide and added some stuff so check it out!

swoop420
_
6. December 2004 @ 12:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
media guru, u rock. thanks fer clearing up the what the bleep do i do. and this goes fer all yall. couldnt figure it out without this info. thanx so much. wish i could return the favor somehow. hope i can in da future.
_
6. December 2004 @ 12:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a major problem with my superdrive burner. As i have said above I tried buring LOTR Return of the King and it came up with a error message. Now my Burner won't eveny reconize black DVDs and crashes the computer every time i insert one. What should I do to fix this?
_
6. December 2004 @ 15:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That totally sucks. Try to see if there is some kind of "reset"
for the drive. I know on my plextor drives holding down both
buttons on powerup resets their firmware to default and
sometimes helps. What brand and model #?

Is that drive external or internal? Perhaps you can look into
upgrading your firmware as well.

Not looking good.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 6. December 2004 @ 15:39

_
7. December 2004 @ 06:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for you help. I am using an internal superdrive on a 15" IMac. I will try and update my firmware. Hope it helps.
Londor
Suspended permanently
_
7. December 2004 @ 06:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

What speed was the media you used for the burning?

Have you ever installed the iMac Superdrive Update 1.0?
Hammer610
_
21. December 2004 @ 14:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I tried to split a DVD into two DVD's, so I would not lose resolution, without success. The DVD contained the following files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_03_0.BUP
VTS_03_0.IFO
VTS_03_0.VOB
VTS_03_1.VOB
VTS_03_2.VOB
VTS_03_3.VOB
VTS_03_4.VOB

VTS_03_5.VOB
VTS_03_6.VOB
VTS_03_7.VOB
VTS_03_8.VOB
VTS_04_0.BUP
VTS_04_0.IFO
VTS_04_1.VOB
VTS_05_0.BUP
VTS_05_0.IFO
VTS_05_1.VOB
VTS_06_0.BUP
VTS_06_0.IFO
VTS_06_1.VOB

I included the files down to where I inserted a space in the list. It would not play on my Mac or my DVD player. Any ideas?
_
21. December 2004 @ 16:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You have to have these files in both discs:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO

Does the first disc play?

If not you may be out of luck. The file structure of your disc has many ifo files so there must be a bunch of smaller clips or extras on this disc...right? if there are a TON of extras you may as well use DVD2OneX and select movie only. There may not be much, if any quality loss.

Remember: Don't burn one unless you have checked it with dvd player first!

gatorbbal
_
24. December 2004 @ 11:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i followed the guide at the beginning of the thread. i used mactheripper and ripped the entire dvd. then i chose the 'movie only' mode in DVD2OneX. i got the main file in the VIDEO TS folder (of the entire ripped folder). i clicked and highlighted the main title with basically the longest duration (over 2 hrs of the movie)... anyways i then opened up toast and put in the Video TS folder and Audio folder.. however the movie burned ... odd?
i cant open it on my powerbook. i just see a bunch of text files. when i stick it into my dvd player (with the tv), i had to go thru a bunch of diff choices to finally get the video to play, and when it did play, only the intro played with volume and the rest of the dvd was w/o volume. i know i ripped the entire dvd (including extras, etc). is it not possible to compress the entire dvd and be able to put it into my powerbook and on my tv and have the normal menu come up.. etc etc (movie with sound)?
please please email me if you can help! gatornicole@gmail.com
thank you!

gatornicole@gmail.com
Hammer610
_
24. December 2004 @ 11:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
>You have to have these files in both discs:

>VIDEO_TS.BUP
>VIDEO_TS.IFO

>Does the first disc play?

All those files, including those two, above the break in the list were on the DVD.

No, it did not play. Luckily, I ripped it on a DVD-RW, so no disks were sacrificed in this experiment. :-)

(yes, DVD-RW work in my DVD player)
_
24. December 2004 @ 12:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That theory probably won't work on that dvd. A dvd with a more "simple" structure would work.

gatorbbal
_
24. December 2004 @ 15:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so i just tried burning it again... i get the same weird menu at the startup of the dvd. i cant play it on my powerbook.... it appears the first few chapters are DVD and the rest are VCD and the VCD ones have no sound. can anyone help me?

gatornicole@gmail.com
_
24. December 2004 @ 15:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What the heck is this thing???

BTW you don't need to burn it to check it. Just load up DVD Player and use the "open VIDEO_TS folder" function.

gatorbbal
_
24. December 2004 @ 16:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks mediaguru... i did use the dvd player and the Open video_ts folder... apparently i'm doing something wrong in the compression process... does it matter what version of DVD2OneX i use? i had been using 'movie only' which i thought was the entire movie folder including all the extras and such, and i would click on the main chapter.. and then i would select any english languages for that one chapter. why cant i compress everything? sorry for all the questions. but i've been trying to figure this out all day

gatornicole@gmail.com
_
24. December 2004 @ 18:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would junk all that you've ripped and start over. Something is messed up. Then check the guide at the top of the mac forum and try to follow those steps.

mettur
_
26. December 2004 @ 14:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
mediaguru,

Thanks a bunch for the excellent write up at the beginning. I wish I read that COMPLETELY before I burned my first DVD. But there is always a silver lining to every thing.

I as able to rip the DVD properly. I ripped "Main feature only" using Mac the Ripper. Even though the full DVD for >7G, the "Main feature only" was about 4.3G, so I was able to go to "Toast" directly. Since I did not read your directions "Completely" I used "DVD-Video" options in Toast. I named the disc properly. After burning I realized every time I press menu it goes to a page at the beginning not the menu page I saw when I tested VIDEO_TS.

After reading your instruction properly, I used DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" options in toast, then I get error message "There's not enough free space on this disc: 2321712 sectors (4.4GB) are needed, 2298496 sectors (4.4GB) are available."

I tried the method of selecting "DVD-ROM (UDF) from the Data tab. Same error message. Seems like I have to go the route of "compression".

You have written about "DVD2ONEX". I am wondering how good is "POPCORN" from RoxIO? How does this compare with "DVD2ONEX" Before I spend $50x1.35 = 68, just wondering if "Popcorn" is same or better. Any comments?

Again thank for the great post, and thanks for your help on this forum.
Advertisement
_
__

_
gatorbbal
_
26. December 2004 @ 15:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks mediaguru. i finally figured out the problem. when i would compress the files, i was checking the audio boxes for all 'english' boxes that i could choose. anyways, i figured out which one i have to choose from now on. bc a few discs i burned had subtitles (which is odd bc i didnt check any of the subtitle boxes) or commentaries playing during the movie. but i finally got it (just burning the main feature only) so, thank you!

gatornicole@gmail.com

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork