User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 19:13
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
27. December 2004 @ 08:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Glad to hear it's working out for you guys.

Regarding popcorn I would imagine DVD2OneX has many more features at this time (join, movie only, selecting audio tracks etc). Look into dvdremaster too if you want straight compression it is great.

Never used popcorn though.

Advertisement
_
__
yourmom98
_
29. December 2004 @ 06:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yea ive been Downloading AVI movies and i cant burn them to a single 4.3 GB dvd i was wondering if there is a program to compress AVI files for toast the AVI files themselves are only like 600 mb but when put to toast the program says that it needs like 5 Gb so is there a program to compress the AVI file for dvd and how do i use
_
29. December 2004 @ 07:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes this is an issue where the total video time is higher than the capacity of a dvd-r.

You could create a disc image that is 5gb and then run your video ts folder through DVD2OneX to reduce the size.

yourmom98
_
29. December 2004 @ 08:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
sorry man i really a noob with this so how do i make a disk image?
_
29. December 2004 @ 08:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well if you had it setup in toast but it was too big, all you'd do instead of hitting "burn" is go the the file menu and select "save as disc image."

When it is done saving as a disc image you "mount" the image with toast and then your computer just thinks you've inserted a dvd that is over 5 MB. It will pop up in dvd player and play just like a normal dvd (if you did it right).

Then you can load up DVD2OneX and compress it just like you would a dvd that you ripped.

yourmom98
_
29. December 2004 @ 14:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thx Media i got that to work i just have 1 more question is there and thing that can make the same thing work with MKV videos cause i got a few of those too
mettur
_
29. December 2004 @ 16:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Glad to hear it's working out for you guys.

Regarding popcorn I would imagine DVD2OneX has many more features at this time (join, movie only, selecting audio tracks etc). Look into dvdremaster too if you want straight compression it is great.

Never used popcorn though.

Well the price was right $30 for Popcorn, I bought it and tried it. Yes it certainly has very few options. No chance of selecting differnt audio or any thing else. All it does is compress, and burn.

Although in another forum some one else said about this - no guessing on what the compression ratio is. Popcorn automagically selects the compression ratio depending on the media you are using. On the other hand, we cannot store the final VIDEO_TS to disk (although we can store the image to disk). The best part of this compression and burn with one click. Especially when it is taking so long to compress, and then burn, there is no baby sitting to go from one to the other.

I still miss all the fancy features in DVD2OneX. I may still endup getting that.

_
4. January 2005 @ 08:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My RIP/COMPRESS/BURN GUIDE is a work in progress. I've just updated it a little today with the following.

1. a way to split the dvd into to with no video loss using DVD2ONEX

2. There is a problem with all versions of Mac The Ripper (up to 2.6) where the feature only will result in an unplayable backup. So just extract the whole disc for now. They are upgrading MTR and will hopefully fix this problem.

pfagan
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
7. January 2005 @ 12:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thank you Mediaguru for the great guide for beginners. I have successfully ripped a DVD onto my hard disk (2.5 GB), and now I'd like to be able to compress/encode to store on a 1 GIG CF card that I can put into my Pocket PC (ipaq hx4700) for viewing. I am using a Mac Powerbook G4 with the latest OSX. I cannot tell which software programs would allow me to turn the ripped content into the right format for use on the PPC. Would you mind to suggest one?

Many thanks.
_
7. January 2005 @ 12:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What kind of files does that unit play? Quicktime is probably the answer.

pfagan
_
8. January 2005 @ 00:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well, the PPC comes standard with a version of Windows Media Player that I assume plays .wmv files. Other media players are available that can play mpeg-1 files. There may be other supported formats as well. There is a popular program on the Windows side called Pocket DVD Wizard which both rips content and then compresses/encodes into .wmv format. I know of no such program for the Mac. I would assume that going for mpeg-1 would be of higher quality? Or would DivX be useful here?

Thanks for your help.
_
8. January 2005 @ 08:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That would depend on your settings what quality it would be.

magnum515
_
9. January 2005 @ 07:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I need help burnig a DVD. I have followed this guide to the letter. I ripped the movie using MacTheRipper, compressed it with DVD2OneX and burned using Toast 6.0.7. Each time Toast tells me it was sucessful but the disc wont play. I can not select the Video_TS folder from DVD player. (I am using a Mac G4 with osX 10.2.8. I have a Pioneer DVR-108 drive, using Imation DVD+R 8X discs. )

I have burned the movie using the data tab, as the guide says, I also used the video tab and burned dvd from video_ts folder option. All result in a disc that that wont play. I can play the compressed Video TS folder from my hard drive with no problems.

I can mount the disc after burning, it shows up on the desktop, but I can not navigate to it in DVD player. It simply does not show up in the find video ts window.

Why would I be getting discs that wont play? I have tryied to play then in my DVD player and they wont work. The player shows ERR and says check disc.

Please help!
abennett
_
9. January 2005 @ 09:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Which version of toast is this guide using? Toast 6 lite? titanium? with Jam? I'm just wondering since titanium is kind of expensive so it would be nice to get away with just toast lite. Thanks!

-Alex
umlautgrl
_
9. January 2005 @ 16:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mediaguru you are a star! Followed all of your direction and presto: I've got a playable copy of the movie that I wanted to dupe! You rock!

One thing I think should be noted is that not all DVD players play DVD-Rs. So, even though you followed Mediaguru's fantastic directions you may end up having to buy a new DVD player (which are cheap enough).

Again, you rock the world! I've copied your directions to my harddrive in case they ever get taken down from here. Thanks for the insight!

Umlaut Girl
mateijan
_
10. January 2005 @ 06:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello there,

First of all, thanks for the guides and messages, it's
all really useful..
I still have a question though, probably a silly one..
I've been trying to back up a DVD using mac the
Ripper to extract it. As it is over 4.7Gb and I didn't
want to compress it, I thought I'd divide it in two. To do
that I used the chapter only extraction mode in Mac
the Ripper; then I just created an image with DVD
imager (for the first half) and burned it onto a DVD-R,
using Disk Utility.
When i stick it into my Mac, it is recognized as a DVD
but it wont play. Of course it doesn'y work in a
regular DVD player either. Is this because if you
extract only chapters you don't get the menus? If so,
what' s the point in using this mode?

What I get after the extraction is a folder with the title
of the movie which contains a VIDEO_TS folder with
one VOB file in it. After creating the image I get A
VIDEO_TS folder with the same VOB file and an
AUDIO_TS folder which is empty. Should I be
getting something else?

I'm sorry but I really couldn't find an answer in the
other messages, and I've already ruined a few DVDs,
so if anyone can help me I'll be very grateful..

Thanks a lot

M

Ok, so I've read everything again and I can answer
myself: I need an IFO file too, I wonder where it went..
Never mind, I'll try again.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. January 2005 @ 06:37

_
10. January 2005 @ 07:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would use the DVD2OneX way of splitting it which I describe at the beginning of this thread.

Naughty76
_
10. January 2005 @ 16:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok.... what is the min. hardware you would suggest for backing up dvd's? I was thinking about trying to get by on my G4 700mhz and just buy an external burner. But it looks like that is a bad idea.
_
10. January 2005 @ 17:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You've got plenty of computer. Don't worry about that. Hell, I backup dvd's with an old Beige g3/233 when I have several machines doing work. The processor speed will simply define how long it will take to compress the video.

For instance: G3/300 takes about 1H15MIN-2H to compress a DVD9. My dual G5/2.0 takes about 8-13 min.

I do these with my titanium 667 all the time. It would take about 30-45 min to compress a dvd9.

Go for it. It will work fine.

mateijan
_
10. January 2005 @ 23:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, I was hoping to bypass the DVD2OneX step, since I don't want any compression, and it's not freeware... I read in another forum somewhere that you can just use DVD imager instead.. I think i'll try ripping the whole movie, then ripping just the chapters I want and then copy the IFo and BUP files into this second ripping folder, make the image from that and see what happens.. probably another coaster , you think?....
This time I'll check it with DVD player first!
_
11. January 2005 @ 06:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If yo split it with DVD2OneX there probably wouldn't be any compression. You could also experiment with splitting in other ways.

I'm going to have to look into dvdimager and see what is up with that proggy.

mateijan
_
11. January 2005 @ 06:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
mmm... I might have to get that DVD2OneX in the end.. My experiment didn't work. What I don't get is, why have all those "Title" and "Chapter" extraction modes in MTR if you only get a VOB file out of them? You can't burn a DVD with just that, can you.. Unless.. is there something that converts VOB files into quicktime or something of the like?
DVD imager is nice and simple enough but again i think it doesn't cope very well with large size files (over 2GB or so) though, that may have been due to me doing something wrong again.. Thanks for your help anyways
_
11. January 2005 @ 07:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For what you are trying to do DVD2OneX is the way to go. It will pay for itself very quickly.

MTR should generate a working video_ts folder in title mode but there's a bug that makes the disc not play sometimes. That will hopefully be fixed in the next version.

Naughty76
_
12. January 2005 @ 13:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Any good ideas on a decent external DVD burner?
Advertisement
_
__

_
gaspump57
_
21. January 2005 @ 09:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,
I am a new user to rip and burn DVDs. I have been using Mac The Ripper and Popcorn. You seem to know quite a bit about the mac ripping and burning. Thought I would turn to you first. You referenced MTR version 2.6 in your guide. I began with MTR 2.02. I have been going to the MTR website since Jan 18,2005 to try to download version 2.6. I keep getting a message in the download window stating "can't connect to host" I had a friend try it on his computer - he couldn't get a connection for the download either.

Do you happen to know why and or is the version 2.6 available by anothr means?

Thank you,

CD Jones mr57@bellsouth.net

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork