User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 05:29
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > blu-ray players > the players, the recorders, the discs and the films
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The Players, The Recorders, The Discs and The Films
  Jump to:

Posted Message
VJbob
_
5. September 2006 @ 16:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This thread has great info on Blu-ray. Was wondering if anybody has made a similar thread for HD-DVD? I was wondering how long until major brands or Toshiba develop alternative HD-DVD players.
Advertisement
_
__
JaguarGod
_
8. September 2006 @ 09:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think Toshiba will release the players annually. There is no reason for them to make different models because it would only cost them more (there are two available now). Also, it is a new technology so you should expect limited availability. I was also shocked to see the A1 version for only $400... Already a $100 price drop!!
ste0
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
19. September 2006 @ 12:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Very intersting reading STICKY

I cant wait to play a game about 50 gig id say ill be waiting a while
raperape
Suspended permanently
_
21. October 2006 @ 20:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sony players is working good?

Thanks.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. October 2006 @ 20:58

Adamontar
_
10. November 2006 @ 01:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When comparing the pros and cons of a standard dvd and that of Blu-ray, I will stick with the standard dvd.
-I saw the comparison between standard and high deffinition on a tv screen side by side, the high deffinition looks a bit better, but its not like going from black and white to colour. The only time I think you can see the difference if you watch a hd movie on a big screen such as projector, and how many people have those.
- and who says all those movies you purchase on blu ray are really hd, just as much as you see bad quality standard dvds.
- dont they use alluminium in blu ray discs, the data layer is just 0.1mm from the surface, only 0.1mm protects the alluminium from oxidizing, compared to 0.6mm on a standared dvd. If this is such good technology they would use gold.
-Most connections between TVs and dvd players cannot show true hd picture quality. They dont even use fibre optic cables, which I believe is the only true digital connection between a dvd player and a TV.
_
14. November 2006 @ 19:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have something too say about the guy that says screw that look all you have too do is upgrade too the new player it will play all your movies current and then if you dont have something buy it in BD format although won't look very good on a regular tv I imagine.

It is too live life too the fullest then never lived at all.
opiate691
_
14. December 2006 @ 07:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a Sony Blu-ray-DVD recorder and cannot fill the disk's space with more than 10 Gb. Why? Maybe I should take my money back?

_
30. December 2006 @ 14:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I Think that it was a good idea by sony to make A 50GB disk for Great Videos, but it won't cetch on for a while because of the price the players are $1000 and i don't even want to talk about recorders and again sony has keep the Product to there selves , just like the beta tape, the beta tape was shot out of the air because they wouldn't give the patent up so others got to gether and made the VHS.
And i have heard that there are already people that are making a new disk to compete aginst the Blu-ray
bratcher
_
2. January 2007 @ 06:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I won't be an adoptee of either format until about 2009 (when high definition over the air TV is mandantory) before buying a recorder & player plus a brand new High Def TV. First off they are way too expensive right now & I want to see which HD DVD format wins the format war if it's won by then.

When Beta & VHS came out I chose VHS & thankfully it won the war so I hope I pick the right HD DVD choice some day.

As far as the DVD -R vs +R formats I chose -R from the beginning for single layer & am staying with +R for the double layer discs. I'm very happy with that.
_
3. January 2007 @ 22:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i hear alot of complaining about buying the same movie over again, and it makes me wonder how long it will take after the relase for the movies to be up for download on Blu-ray, also how many people actually pay for there dvd collection as of now?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. April 2007 @ 08:41

elasu3
Suspended permanently
_
7. January 2007 @ 04:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wow they look nice.

Get xbox360 games under 24pounds here :http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-52gn-
_
11. January 2007 @ 14:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
really informative. I still don't know which one to get but very informative.
jlbomba
_
18. March 2007 @ 04:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you people are allowing yourselves to be sucked in by sony again. I refuse to buy anything from sony. I don't trust them especially after their computer invading software.

Lord of the Rings
mglez86
_
29. March 2007 @ 08:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so everyone said by 2006 Blu ray would be selling all over, it's 2007 and i can hardly find anything on the matter, it seems to me like Blu ray is more for computer people than for movie fans, i think it will serve better as back up media becuase of the size, or for movie fans only if they want to make back ups of their movies, maebe they could fit 10 movies but not in hd, just the regular format that runs around. so i came to this to see if i felt interested in Blu ray, but i am not feeling that motivated into spending money on it.

- MG -
X_X
Wylee
_
27. April 2007 @ 17:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey i just posted this to see what it sed under my name (newbie or w/e) please just ignore this while i hope its not against the rules.
mutapsyc
_
8. May 2007 @ 23:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm still gettin' hip to the DVD's LOL,....so is there any significant superiority in the quality of bluray visual media???? and can we make something like a Blu-ray rip?????

Manitoba Progressive Conservatives
Manitoba NDP
Manitoba Liberals
Vote Manitoba
Gary Doer
koerwise
_
20. May 2007 @ 19:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
many thanx

i am a big fan of blue-ray tech

----------------------------------------
iPhone Converter
http://www.iphoneconverter.com/

Dfeyeant1
_
23. May 2007 @ 20:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you want to play ball, buy a PS3. The PS3 has superior processing speed to any of the Blu-ray players on the market for 60% of the price; and the thing plays games. For most PS3 owners it's the other way around (games and then maybe movies), but if you want to buy a player it should be a no-brainer. Processing speed may not seem like a big deal, but compare a PS3 to the next fastest player out there and you could be watching a BD-J (Java enhanced Blu-ray title) in a matter of 1 minute 15 seconds vs. 2 minutes 45 seconds and for less money. As long as an HDMI connection is used I can't tell the difference on any of the players -and trust me I've seen them all. Test me on any them if you have any doubts. And as for the LG Hybrid player, looks pretty, sounds pretty, and it's the most unstable unpredictable unreliable piece of junk I've worked with in this age of High Definition -nice try LG. 4 of the players out there are just dupes of each others innerds with identical results, such a waste. Support Blu-ray, it's got all the right stuff and is utilizing the coolest programming language known to man -ever wondered what language the first successful AI maid or house will be written with because I can assure you it will most likely be Java. Step into the future, spend 2-Grand on a PS3 and Plasma and start piecing together a 7.1 sound system as $$$ permits then live a more exiting life for it. Or... just save your money for 15 years until HVDs get the bugs worked out and are just as cheap at a higher resolution than the theater.

BD OWNS!!11!
varybarry
_
5. June 2007 @ 06:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Do the benefits of owning a blue ray player and discs outweigh the initial investment? I'm curious because the system is expensive and the discs are much more than dvd's.

Great Sites

[url= http://www.comcastinfo.com/high_speed_internet.html] high speed internet [/url]

[url= http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxes.step.1.asp] TiVo [/url]
JaguarGod
_
5. June 2007 @ 10:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just wait. I have a PS3 and there are no games and the movies are pretty much the same quality as DVD. The only difference is it makes people look a little uglier.

Some movies look worse than DVD, but most are a bit better. It is not worth it now as it is way too expensive.
Dfeyeant1
_
6. June 2007 @ 17:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
First of all, the resolution is 4X higher. Even on a 720p(minimal HD resolution display) display, this stuff looks faboulous. Unfortunately, a lot of BDs are MPEG-2 encoded. Look for the MPEG-4 stuff, it's a much more efficient codec allowing for a much nicer PQ. To say it looks the same as DVD is ridiculous; buy a proper display. Even DVDs look way better on the BD players, few people are aware of the "upconversion" feature available on new DVD players and all BD players. Upconversion is an alternative to stretching a standard def image and does a great job. Maybe, Jaguar, you are comparing a DVD on an upconverting BD player to an mpeg2 BD on a BD player; then maybe, just maybe I might believe what you're saying, but even then I would suggest a new prescription eyeware or maybe a decent HD TV. Try a 42"+ plasma from Sony/Panasonic 1080i on an mpeg4 encoded title should blow away any DVD.

Varybary, the answer is No. Only because the benefeits are only a higher form of entertainment and don't actually pay for themselves in any way. I'm big on real investments and this isn't one of them. I'm personally waiting at least a couple more years till all the kinks get worked out and the prices come down a bit because I, much like Jaguar am not impressed enough to drop the $$$ on what some may describe as a subtle improvement(I know I'm contradicting myself a bit here). -I work with the stuff, in case you're wondering why I act like I know what I'm talking about. Although, when I do put the $$$ together it's definitely going towards BD not a cheap DVD collection, or a dead-end HDDVD setup. A lot of people are overlooking the advancements in audio technology, these new home receivers and speaker systems are really starting to kick some butt and are responsible for at least 40% of the experience IMO.

Check out Master and Commander on BD to see and hear what I am talking about. Nothing on HDDVD or DVD can come close to this experience. Then come and tell me that the "people look a little uglier" is the memory you're left with.

BD OWNS!!11!
asianm
Suspended permanently
_
18. July 2007 @ 21:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sony players is good!

Please visit my afterdawn:
http://my.afterdawn.com/asianm

China Manufacturer & Product Directory -- Professional Manufacturer & Exporter Directory Trade of china manufacturers, products, supplier, exporters, factories, is a best channel between worldwide buyers and chinese manufacturers.
Asian-Manufacturer.com
asianm
Suspended permanently
_
29. July 2007 @ 21:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sony players is good!

Please visit my afterdawn:
http://my.afterdawn.com/asianm

China Manufacturer & Product Directory -- Professional Manufacturer & Exporter Directory Trade of china manufacturers, products, supplier, exporters, factories, is a best channel between worldwide buyers and chinese manufacturers.
Asian-Manufacturer.com
tripplite
_
9. December 2007 @ 09:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wow, great data base glade i saw this
Advertisement
_
__

_
dshah101
_
16. December 2007 @ 16:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The blu ray players are great but very expensive

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > blu-ray players > the players, the recorders, the discs and the films

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork