User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 17:23
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > r.i.p. - the thread for dead cd-rs
Show topics

Forums
Forums
R.I.P. - The thread for dead CD-Rs
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Pio2001
_
8. November 2002 @ 01:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
New one, reported by Madah : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?&act=ST&f=20&t=4147&st=50&hl=

Pioneer Video :

Manufacturer : Pioneer
Code : 97m27s31f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 74:50.01
657 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Burned in 1998.

Pio2001

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. November 2002 @ 01:13

Advertisement
_
__
thargor
_
11. February 2003 @ 12:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hope you guys don't mind me butting in here, slightly off key, but I have found that sometimes my DVD player which runs at a slower speed will actually work on CD's I thought had died. Interesting to me is the info you guys have about your discs, and I thought price was the only factor? I will let you carry on now.
Pio2001
_
12. February 2003 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Some of my Mitsuis are completely dead for sure. I used one to check the C2 accuracy of my drives : http://pageperso.aol.fr/lyonpio2001/dae/dae.htm
westgrveg
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
21. February 2003 @ 14:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pio are you sure all the links/CD-R you have reported have no physical damage?
Pio2001
_
22. February 2003 @ 11:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mine have no physical damage.
You can read all the posts and links by yourself, I've got no more info. It seems that most posters paid attention to this. Several of them states that their CD has no visible damage.

Pio2001
vipera
_
27. February 2003 @ 07:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Verbatim Valuelife

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

not only is there major slowdowns while reading, but recently the backs have started falling off of them
im seriously considering reburning them all, if any are still readable
_
28. February 2003 @ 02:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Not surprising, CMC are well known for their poor quality CD-R's.
FoxMulder
_
2. March 2003 @ 21:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
BTC CD-R 74min/650MB 4X, 2X, 1X

ATIP: 97m 22s 18f
Disc Manufacturer: Seantram Technology Inc.
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 650.83MB (74m 05s 00f / LBA: 333225)

The disc is in perfect conditions but it's completely unreadable. Junk.

Burn baby, burn!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. March 2003 @ 22:21

cd-rw.org

4 product reviews
_
2. March 2003 @ 22:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Fox,

How old is it? Was it crap from the start or has it just faded away?

The old school is back. All hail the new http://BitBurners.com !
FoxMulder
_
3. March 2003 @ 20:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's was burned in 1999 and some time ago it was still readable. I managed to recover the files today with CD-R Diagnostic, but Windows cannot see the CD-R at all, it just keeps trying forever. I have another BTC CDR burned in '99 that it's showing a lot of errors with Nero CD Speed.

Burn baby, burn!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. March 2003 @ 20:24

_
4. March 2003 @ 06:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wonder when they will invent a CD-R that doesn't fade away like current ones do.
EF9
_
5. March 2003 @ 11:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
CDR's can grow some type of fungus on the dye. When this happens, the CDR become unreadable. It doesnt matter on how you store them!! There was a site that wanted fungus infeasted CDR's to see what types of fungus they are and y they grow. I forgot the site but if i find it i will let you guys know.
Phr3d
_
10. March 2003 @ 16:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok, prolly a noob response here, but wouldn't a methodology be warranted here? Is it possible that our faster than bejeezus drives are having something to do with these poor relics' readability? Does storage placement/type warrant looking into? Before we all go off the deep end thinking our Maxells, mitsui golds, etc. are Going to fail, it seems to me that we should narrow the variables wherever possible.
I have Misui golds, Maxell HK's & Riteks, TDK riteks, and Ricohs. I decided to test all my oldest cd's, and had Not One failure (1997-98, 2x burn speed). My disks live in a humid basement, and are contained in tyvec sleeves, with the flap inside. They have not been moved or used much at all. The Pioneer DVD has no problems reading them, but it would not be my first choice to determine CD validity. My Plextor 8/20 had no probs, and both it and the plex 32 were able to provide ATIP info, when my Pioneer was not. I did not bother to hook up my old Ricoh, but if any Had failed, I certainly would have given that a try.
Since this is not a fail message, I'll forego the 6 ATIPs unless someone thinks they are of value. I don't know what sort of list we could compile to narrow the variables, but it seems like it would be very helpful. my noob .02
Liquid86
_
11. March 2003 @ 13:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Though I'm not sure of the fine details of the disc, I have found Dysan CD-R's (1-4x) to be of low quality...However the rich blue color makes for a great coaster for your mini bar!

~Life is a liquid dream...let it flow!
Carpe Diam, Quam Minimum Credula Postero!
Pio2001
_
18. March 2003 @ 11:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Tayo Yuden reported dead here : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=20&t=7614&

Not sure if it comes from the CDR or the drive, though...

Pio2001
SuperG03
_
26. March 2003 @ 10:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pio2001,

That was my thread originally on hydrogen, and it turns out that the CDR by Taiyo Yuden is perfectly fine. I have tried it in multiple CDR/RW and CD-ROMs and they all come out with a 0 Error using Nero CD Speed, and the CDR/RW drives I verified report C2 Errors. So I guess we can scratch one off the list.

SuperG (DayWalker)
Pio2001
_
27. March 2003 @ 02:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, SuperG3.

Wanted : dead Tayo Yuden, dead gold CDRs.

Pio2001
Pio2001
_
27. March 2003 @ 03:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To summarize gold CDRs :

1 Mitsui Gold, "it was an audio disc from the beginning of the 4x era, and slowly developed lots of C2 until one day it couldn't be read properly anymore,"

1 Samsung made by CMC : "Mysteriously died after about 4-5 years, it's not really fully dead, but a couple files are already unreadable and the rest reads at 0.5x "

Kodak are unsure, they can be silver+gold.

Anyway, gold is not the ultimate answer. I'm glad I got an external HD to backup MPC instead of burning CDs.

Pio2001
westgrveg
_
3. May 2003 @ 18:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
CDR's can grow some type of fungus on the dye. When this happens, the CDR become unreadable. It doesnt matter on how you store them!! There was a site that wanted fungus infeasted CDR's to see what types of fungus they are and y they grow. I forgot the site but if i find it i will let you guys know.
Well humidity would in part be the cause of this so yes climate is an issue
HiSpeed
_
7. May 2003 @ 20:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok, one more sorry comment on dead CD-R media. I just junked about 200 each of 8X and 12X CD-Rs that were brand new, never had light exposure, chemical exposure, or other than normal room temperature. They would burn ok but then would fail to be recognized in most drives. These are all CMC-Magnetics media, both short and long dye strategies and are all silver/silver. Also, the same CDs (as above) that had data on them for 18-24 monthh are now un-readable. This has to be caused by aging of the CD-R materials. This just sucks.
devilhunt
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. January 2004 @ 23:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi to you all i usualy spend most of my time around the ps2 forum but came here to see if you could help i recently bought 25 infiniti white top cd-r(48x i think) discs(on special localy)to use for data backup and out of the 5 i have used 3 failed data verification after being written at 16x so tried nero6 cd-dvd speed tests nero disc info gave me no info about the brand of discs or any info of any kind so i ran the quality test and got 38500 c2 errors i'm sure this isnt normal so i downloaded cdr identifier from this site and it gave me this info on these discs
ATIP: 97m 26s 26f
Disc Manufacturer: SKC Co., Ltd.
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)
just thought i'd let you know

_

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. January 2004 @ 03:52

_
27. June 2005 @ 13:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
good thing i havent seen no fuji films, i use those alot and they have a very deep green dye. good so far. the ones that died on me were some old school PNY discs, and some memorexs got faded out quickly, so did some HP's.
Hopefully Fujifilm doesnt go that route.. its all depends on how well you take care of these cd-r's to begin with.

parsley5
_
11. August 2005 @ 08:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just bought a cake of 100 DataWrite disks two weeks ago, burned about ten with no problems, then i started getting errors ranging from power calibration to buffer under runs - Checked the disk and they turn out to be made by CMC, checked the disks i burned last week - Yes, 2 of them dont work anymore. Looks like i've got about 90 coasters (maybe i could sell them on E-bay lol) Should have had a look at this site first, and i'm only going to buy in 25 packs from now on. :-)
bratcher
_
8. January 2007 @ 05:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ever had a Ritek CD-R go bad? I've got an audio CD (Ritek) made in Febuary of 2003 that none of my CD players (not even the DVD burner in my computer) will play. Extracted all of the tracks with Isobuster (that took a long while) then played the WAV files in Windows Medis Player. Tons of buzz & the speaking voice (it was a sermon CD) was very difficult to understand for 90% of the extracted disc. Most of track 4 cleared up (still buzzy though) as did about half of disc 5. I'll order another copy of that CD & hope the church's duplicator can read the master disc. Oh & the bottom of the CD looks normal plus the disc was kept out of direct light.

I'm surprised the CMC, Lrad Dats & Gigastorage sermon discs still play ok. At least the old ones (from 2003) do but this one disc doesnt.
Advertisement
_
__

_
SuperG03
_
8. January 2007 @ 07:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
Ever had a Ritek CD-R go bad? I've got an audio CD (Ritek) made in Febuary of 2003 that none of my CD players (not even the DVD burner in my computer) will play. Extracted all of the tracks with Isobuster (that took a long while) then played the WAV files in Windows Medis Player. Tons of buzz & the speaking voice (it was a sermon CD) was very difficult to understand for 90% of the extracted disc. Most of track 4 cleared up (still buzzy though) as did about half of disc 5. I'll order another copy of that CD & hope the church's duplicator can read the master disc. Oh & the bottom of the CD looks normal plus the disc was kept out of direct light.

I'm surprised the CMC, Lrad Dats & Gigastorage sermon discs still play ok. At least the old ones (from 2003) do but this one disc doesnt.
Bratcher,

Run Nero CD-DVD Speed and choose the Disc Quality Section, change the speed to 32x and click start. Once it is finished, please post the screenshot of it. Make sure you use a CD/DVD Burner drive when running this test. If you don't know / have Nero CD Speed, go here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ and choose the first one to download (it is freeware). Extract and run.

The reason I say this, is because this test will show how many errors the disc really has, and how many are correctable, so we can see just how bad the disc deteriorated during the past 4 years. Thanks.

SuperG03

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > r.i.p. - the thread for dead cd-rs

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork