User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 18:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > r.i.p. - the thread for dead cd-rs
Show topics

Forums
Forums
R.I.P. - The thread for dead CD-Rs
  Jump to:

Posted Message
bratcher
_
8. January 2007 @ 20:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a Plextor CD/DVD burner & if I load any disc in it then Nero's cd/dvd check disc quality start button is greyed out not clickable. No idea why. I can't even check this CD with my CD burner which normally allows me to check CD's. The disc is that bad. Like I said the extracted wav files are full of crackly buzzing on every word & the audio is weak & very difficult to understand.
Advertisement
_
__
SuperG03
_
8. January 2007 @ 21:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by bratcher:
I have a Plextor CD/DVD burner & if I load any disc in it then Nero's cd/dvd check disc quality start button is greyed out not clickable. No idea why. I can't even check this CD with my CD burner which normally allows me to check CD's. The disc is that bad. Like I said the extracted wav files are full of crackly buzzing on every word & the audio is weak & very difficult to understand.
If you have a Plextor, I believe it comes with its own set of tools to check for disc quality. If possible, use that tool and post. Not sure why Nero is not working. When you open up the Nero program, and after you put the disc in the drive, try up at the top drop down box, to switch to the other drive, and then back to the one with the disc in it. Then on the first tab, which is Benchmark, what does it say on the right, under "Disc" Type and Lenght. If something is there, then the disc is being at least recognized. If it is just "-" then something must be severely wrong with the disc. But it is weird that you were still able to "try" and extract the audio, because that would mean that the disc was recognized as an audio CD. Let us know what happens, with Nero or with Plextor Tools.

SuperG03
bratcher
_
9. January 2007 @ 04:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
If you have a Plextor, I believe it comes with its own set of tools to check for disc quality. If possible, use that tool and post. Not sure why Nero is not working. When you open up the Nero program, and after you put the disc in the drive, try up at the top drop down box, to switch to the other drive, and then back to the one with the disc in it. Then on the first tab, which is Benchmark, what does it say on the right, under "Disc" Type and Lenght. If something is there, then the disc is being at least recognized. If it is just "-" then something must be severely wrong with the disc. But it is weird that you were still able to "try" and extract the audio, because that would mean that the disc was recognized as an audio CD. Let us know what happens, with Nero or with Plextor Tools.

SuperG03
OK I'll load Plextools on the computer & check the disc out. Nero says the disc is Ritek as does CD Check but it still doesn't play as an audiodisc is any CD player or CD audio players on the computer like WMP or Winamp & yes it is a burned audio CD.

Oh & where do I upload the image for the AD picture to show up?
SuperG03
_
9. January 2007 @ 10:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
[quote]

SuperG03
OK I'll load Plextools on the computer & check the disc out. Nero says the disc is Ritek as does CD Check but it still doesn't play as an audiodisc is any CD player or CD audio players on the computer like WMP or Winamp & yes it is a burned audio CD.

Oh & where do I upload the image for the AD picture to show up?[/quote]It should be interesting to see what Plextools produces. As far as where to upload the image, I think there are many free hosting sites out there, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is http://photobucket.com/ You just have to do a free registration and then upload the image.

SuperG03
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. March 2007 @ 10:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Nero tools is the same with an LG burner.
Run regedit.It's probably blocked out.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
"Blocked"="PLEXTOR"
bratcher
_
1. March 2007 @ 12:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by attar:
My Nero tools is the same with an LG burner.
Run regedit.It's probably blocked out.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
"Blocked"="PLEXTOR"
Can it be unblocked? If so then whats the best way to do it & will the CD Quality scan work after I unblock my Plextor DVD drive?

I do my CD & DVD scans with Plextools Professional XL which works 100% of the time but takes awhile to run through all of the tests for a disc & yes I can select just one or more tests as I choose to.
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. March 2007 @ 13:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In my case I used Regedit and changed the entry from
SAMSUNG,TSST,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR
to
SAMSUNG,TSST,PLEXTOR

The deleted HL-DT-ST referred to my LG burner.

When that was changed I could use all the test features - but the scans were lousy.Which is probably the reason that Nero blocked these drives.
Either the drives are poor quality (not likely) or the results cannot be trusted to give a true indication of quality.
I restored the entry and left it at that.
I never followed up to see if it was the drive firmware or the Tools program that needed updates.
I believe (I think I read) that the names of the blocked drives change from time to time as Nero gets updated..

Cheers.
Advertisement
_
__

_
bratcher
_
1. March 2007 @ 19:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by attar:
In my case I used Regedit and changed the entry from
SAMSUNG,TSST,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR
to
SAMSUNG,TSST,PLEXTOR

The deleted HL-DT-ST referred to my LG burner.

When that was changed I could use all the test features - but the scans were lousy.Which is probably the reason that Nero blocked these drives.
Either the drives are poor quality (not likely) or the results cannot be trusted to give a true indication of quality.
I restored the entry and left it at that.
I never followed up to see if it was the drive firmware or the Tools program that needed updates.
I believe (I think I read) that the names of the blocked drives change from time to time as Nero gets updated..

Cheers.
In that case I'll stay with my slower Plextools Professional XL testing if I want to check a disc.

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > r.i.p. - the thread for dead cd-rs

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork