User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 02:52
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > philips dvd+-rw dvd8631
Show topics

Forums
Forums
PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. May 2005 @ 12:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok.... my bad...... I hope all who is having a problem gets it resolved. I'm just a recoding freak enjoying my new toy! LOL
Advertisement
_
__
_
21. May 2005 @ 12:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No worries :) Welcome to aD.

Joker_15
_
21. May 2005 @ 17:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well Im glad atleast some people get a philips drive that works lol..
Im not saying that all the philips drives dont work but alot dont. I tried everything to get mine to work and nothing fixed it, I even tried burning a DVD in Linux and it still didnt work. Im guessin Dell just got alot of faulty drives.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. May 2005 @ 18:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just to let you know.......... since reading all about how poorly this Philips drive is...... I put it to a test....... burned a CD in about 1:30 mins .......that's a full CD.....21 songs 80mins in a min and a half!!!! And........ the Philips 8631 running on my DELL Gen4 XPS at 3.73Mhz with 2Gigs of DDR2ram with 320Gigs Raid 0 and the Radeon X850 XT Plat 256 ddrram is just the greatest machine I ever had! This is the 7 computer I bought since 1987 and the best one yet! I'm thrilled and tickled pink with the results I'm getting! If you still have the Philips 8631 use Verbatim or Sony disks! It makes a big difference! I was using Memorex....... worked great on my old computer with an NEC drive but terrible results on the Philips...... sooooooooo I went out and tried 3 different disk brands........ all worked sooooooo much better than Memorex! Sooooooo after burning a total of 15DVD movies and about 4 CDs I'm more than please that I spent the money on this new computer!!! with the Philips 8631 drive!!! I hope everyone solves the problems with the drive ...... I figure I'm the lucky one that workS! And I only came upon this forum to find out what brand of disks run best on this drive. I am very shocked that there are soooooooo many having problems with theirs! I feel so bad that mine works sooooooo great! I'm sorry and wish everyone the best! Good Luck!
Joker_15
_
21. May 2005 @ 19:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hehe well i got a NEC drive now and it works great.
nyjetfan
_
22. May 2005 @ 19:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have A Dell 4700 computer.I also got with this computer the phillips DVD 8631 burner with it.I tried to copy some movies using TDK DVD-R and they only worked on my computer not my dvd players.I gave my friend one of my blank dvd's and he made A movie on it for me and it played fine on my dvd players and we use the same program which is DVD Shrink.I decided to go out and buy Dynex DVD+R and they worked.Any suggestions on how I can get th TDK's to work.Its bugging me how my friend got it working and he dont know what the problem is.Also can you please tell me alittle bit about the NEC-3450A and all its capabilities like how fast it burns and all its options.Also when I decrypt A movie why does it take me so long to decrypt and burn.The whole process takes me about 1 hour to 1hour and a half.The DVD rom im using is HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B DVD/CD ROM drives.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
_
23. May 2005 @ 09:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Flip218,

I've been a tech for so many years, I forgot how long.

I aint no expert but I think I know what I'm doing :)

Tryed everything I know, and finally removed the Philips DVD8631 from my main pc and installed it in a TEST pc with a fresh copy of XP.

Well well, all the same problems again, so I knew 99.9999% it was the drive.

As soon as I installed my old LG-4040B in my main PC, all my applications worked (0 problems) so again confirming it was the Philips Burner.

I know have the NEC-3450A and very pleased with it !
Specialy that it burns/supports burning at 2x on DVD-R.

The Philips DVD8631 seems to have 4x minimum for the DVD-R.

DVD-R is all I have so no idea on DVD+R !

VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. May 2005 @ 09:06

_
23. May 2005 @ 17:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
And I do believe they know what they are doing, cause the problem has been fixed by just replacing the drive which shows it's not user error.
cougar_ii,

I did say you know what your doing :) lol

mgaudet
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
23. May 2005 @ 18:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi...just to say again to all who are having problems with that Dell 8631 DVD burner...IT is the burner...those of us who have had Dell replace that burner with the NEC have had the problems disappear.
I have burn many movies since my NEC was installed without any crashes or errors...I had nothing but touble with the Phillips.
I am up in Canada and the Dell representative here was wonderfull.
I got no argument when I ask Dell to replace the Phillips with the NEC..therfore I think Dell knows that the Phillips drive was just a bad choice...I have only tried +dvds...it was my understanding that Dell seemed to support them better.
jrocket
_
23. May 2005 @ 18:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey guys,

i had been using RIDATA DVD-Rs when i was having my problems (which worked perfectly with my old dvd burner). I went out today and picked up some Verbatim DVD+Rs and everything has been working smoothly so far. I've only burned 3 dvds so far, but no coasters yet.
annette14
_
24. May 2005 @ 01:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i have been burning cd's great for the past 2 months but now the drive won't even open. i've contacted dell and they've sent me a list of things to try but after reading this forum i'm wondering if there's any point. has everyone whose had a philips 8631 ended up replacing it.
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. May 2005 @ 04:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Annette....... my philips works just fine........ got my new computer 4/30/05 and I burned over 20 DVDs already!!!! and I hold a record of 4 DVDs in ONE HOUR! dvdXcopy plat and dvdxplat are great! sooooooo is my philips 8631!!! Glad that everyone is solving their probs by replacement. I must be the lucky one.
tieone
_
24. May 2005 @ 05:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you are here reading this forum, chances are that you have problems with your Philips DVD8631 drive.

I may not be a power user as described by IHoe over here but I can advice you to change your Philips drive for another make in order to solve all your burning problems.

No one need to be an experimented user to burn dvd & cds and this is not the point of this technology. Personally, I bought this Dell computer for my daughter. I own two HP DVD burners in the past and never had problem with them while burning CDs or DVDs. However, with this Philips drive, no TECH STAFF (not power users) at Dell could not figure out why my supposedly tested drive made freeze the computer or could not burn DVD properly and scrap 12 DVDs consecutively from the two first days we had this computer. Power user or not, soon we changed the drive?we did not have one single problem again.
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. May 2005 @ 09:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
tieone...... I'm no power user but I love my DVDs.......ohhh by the way..... I had HP DVD drives, too and I did have probs with them. So far I found out that it's the programs used with the drive that causes problems.... I have no probs with my Philips8631!! Sorry to disappoint you but I just recorded another DVD...... stuff I downloaded and now it's on DVD! I love my new computer and my drive is working just fine. I'm aware of others having problems....... but I'm not one of them. And I'm no power user.
annette14
_
24. May 2005 @ 23:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for your comments. It's really annoying when you've juet paid a lot of money for something and it won't work. I'm only copying photo's on to cd so it doesn't bother me about the downloading aspect i just want the thing to open.
Please don't think i'm really thick but one thing dell told me to do is something i've never heard of and that was to 'flash the firmware'??
In my old computer, which we still use, i had a 'PIKAONE' RW which always worked perfectly even in a tired old PENTIUM II.
Joker_15
_
25. May 2005 @ 08:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Flashing the CD-Rom is easy, basically you just goto Dells download page for your computer then look in the firmware section and find your CD-Rom and download the little program and run it. But very carefull that you dont get the wrong firmware.I did try this on my philips drive but it didnt fix it, tell dell you want a NEC drive if the person wont send one find a different tech to talk to.
Aepicia
_
27. May 2005 @ 06:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Glad I took a minute to google Philips DVD8631. Mine was non-working when I set up my new Dell 4700. Although I'm supposed to have on-site service, I instead ended up waiting for Dell to process an order for a replacement. The customer service rep said it would go out the same day, but I'm closing in on a week with my order for a replacement still in "Preproduction" Guess they're having trouble keeping up with the demand for replacements. I've now emailed them and requested that they credit me for the drive, since they say they can't replace it except with the same piece of crap that they originally sent me. They've offered a credit of $102.31 although the replacement order would have been billed at $172.00.

I'll go down to Fry's this afternoon and pick up something else.

Have to say that I've been really disappointed with the Dell experience.
Aepicia
_
27. May 2005 @ 06:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Also, when Dell had me flash this drive from their website, the firmware was older than the firmware in the drive they sent me.
Found that pretty interesting.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. May 2005 @ 07:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm just amazed at how many people are having trouble with the same drive that I have! I don't know why I'm having no trouble and you guys are!!! I'm really NOT a lucky person. I found that it is usually the programs that give the drive problems and not the drive itself. But I must concied that if so many are having problems and I am not that I MUST be the lucky one that is burning to my hearts content! Sorry, and I hope all will solve their problems fast! I am now ending this thread cause I have not problems with my Philips 8631 for the last 3 weeks(since I bought my DELL)and about 15 DVDS and 6 CDs recorded nicely the first time and every time! I hope I don't sound obnoxious or conceeded and you won't hear from me again. Good luck to all.
_
27. May 2005 @ 09:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi IHoe,

If you received your Philips DVD8631 not long ago (Manufactor Date: March 2005) yes, you should be ok !

Seems the new batch IS working. (Firmware CD21).

I was one of the unlucky bunch !

And NO it was not the software...

Removed the Philips DVD8631 and installed my old LG-4040B and all the problems went away.

Installed the Philips in an other computer with a FRESH copy of XP, all the same problems !

Dell replaced it with a NEC-3450A after arguing on the phone for 2 hours that it was the drive and asking firmly to get the NEC and not an other Philips !

VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester

jrocket
_
27. May 2005 @ 10:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
update from me....i had problems using RIDATA DVD-Rs and switched over to Verbatim DVD+Rs and it started working. i burned a few discs but then last night i burned 2 coasters. Granted, it was 2 attempts at copying the same disc. Each time dvdshrink said it was complete but you can see by looking at the bottom of the dvds after they completed that they were completely different in size. This is the first problem i've encountered with Verbatim discs so far. I dunno if it's a sign of things to come or just a bad disc im copying.

Oh, and i got my computer end of March 05 as well.
tieone
_
27. May 2005 @ 11:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Seems the new batch IS working. (Firmware CD21).

I had that one the CD21 and it was not working at all.
Dell even provided me a firmware, which was older than the one loaded at the manufacturer's plan.

I got my drive changed for a NEC 10 days ago and I am burning Cds and DVDs every day since without a single problem yet using different burning apps.

I mean the problem has been found and the solution has been post.
If you run in all kind of problems with your Philips DVD8631 drive, ask Dell to provide you another make and be insisting. You'll get one.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. May 2005 @ 11:40

nyjetfan
_
27. May 2005 @ 22:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have the Phillips 8631 and am having nothing but problems with it.I can only burn on DVD+R.I was using DVD-R and couldnt play them on my DVD player.I gave my friend A few of my blanks and he made A copy for me using the same software (DVD SHRINK) and it worked.I also called Dell and was on the phone with them for about 4 hours getting really aggravated with them saying they can only replace my phillips with the same one not the NEC 3450A.How do all of you persway them to get the NEC.Any help on what to do would be great.
Thanks..........
Joker_15
_
28. May 2005 @ 11:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Talk to a different tech. Instead of calling them try useing there online chat support, dont have to wait aslong like on the phone. i think i went through 2 or 3 techs before i found one that would send me the NEC.
Advertisement
_
__

_
lt1ta
_
29. May 2005 @ 10:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is this just mainly a dell issue? Is the frimware different for the dell pc's or did dell just get a big batch of bad burners or something. Every other complaint is about a dell issued burner. I personally have the phillips burner that came with my hp a810n pc and have never had any problems with it. as a matter of fact i had a pioneer a06 burner previously and i like this burner better.

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > philips dvd+-rw dvd8631

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork