User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 15:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > mobile devices > portable audio players > nomad jukebox zen xtra 30gb serious problem
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB serious problem
  Jump to:

Posted Message
random776
_
12. June 2008 @ 08:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ok so i got the updater to respond to the player and all goes smoothly for the most part but than............ it goes through about 90% of the update, reboots the player (it remains at the EAX screen) and doesn't do anything after that, and i left it running for more than 2 hours still nothing. what could i have done wrong?
Advertisement
_
__
nomad78
_
7. November 2008 @ 03:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30g screwed up somehow tonight. I was deleting songs on it and on the last one it just croked. Then it would do the same thing as others mentioned here. I'd turn it on and it would act like it's booting up but just freezes on the loading screen with the background light on.

I found the procedures for recovering from this and saving all the data on the website below. It gets you to the Rescue Mode menu.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=4794

Expand the "Zen series of players" tab if you have the same model as me.

Note: If I remember correctly the unit came on when I pluged in the AC cord. I just waited for it to finish booting up, at which point it froze up, and continued with the directions.

When the Rescue Mode came up I first hit Clean Up, then Reboot.

BTW I've had mine for about 3.5 years and this isn't the first time something like this has happened. But everytime so far it's miraculously come back from the dead.

Also, I'm working on making a solar charger for it. The 4.8V, 3" x 3.7" panel ought to be able to fit on the back side of it. Not sure if I want it permanently attached though.
zappa54
_
7. December 2008 @ 00:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,
I have a Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra. I've been through most of the problems I have read about and have found usefull information on the creative support site. The one thing I was unable to find was how to get the Zen Xtra to restart. It failed to complete the firmware update for play for sure. It froze around 80%. The Message on the computer screen said Updating Firmware Please Wait. After a while I looked at the ZEN display and it showed the link image but no animation of transfer. I listened to see if the hard drive was running and there was no sign of activity. None of the function buttons would work so I hit the reset. The screen went black and the unit would no longer power up or reset to get to restore menu. It was fully charged and connected to USB and AC Power but no signs of life. Its out of warranty and creative won't help. I think they should because it was their software that killed my perfectly working Zen. Anyone have any Ideas of how I might breathe some life back into this unit so I can try once again to reload firnware.
hashpoque
_
12. May 2009 @ 00:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello zappa54!

Exactly the same happened to my Zen Xtra.
"
It failed to complete the firmware update for play for sure. It froze around 80%. The Message on the computer screen said Updating Firmware Please Wait. After a while I looked at the ZEN display and it showed the link image but no animation of transfer. I listened to see if the hard drive was running and there was no sign of activity. None of the function buttons would work so I hit the reset. The screen went black and the unit would no longer power up or reset to get to restore menu. It was fully charged and connected to USB and AC Power but no signs of life."

what's the solution?
Jahon_K
_
27. May 2009 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK. I created an account only to post here. I've observed you all have the same problem as I do.

Those ones who solved it by installing the new software updates are happy.

But I want something very specific: I want to downgrade the PlayForSure firmware to the previous one. I don't want to make PlayForSure work. I already know how to do that.

I already have WMP9 running on my XPpro PC. I have my original CREATIVE NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra CD with the original software.

In creative.com, they say there's NO WAY AT ALL to rollback to the old firmware. I assume that's a market issue that isn't convenient for them. That's why I'm posting. I need to HACK it. And by "hack", I mean illegal, warranty violating, computer genious geek programming.

It's NOT enough to replace the HD, as the firmware isn't installed on it. The firmware is installed on the NOMAD itself, I don't know how to call it, but I think it's the ROM, the root memory with the setup menu and all that.

I've read ALL this thread and many other forums and there's no single site that have answered my question yet. Read those befor answering me.

Best regards and long life to the one who really can help me out.

Jahon Karpsen.
coachop
_
29. May 2009 @ 14:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The only way to go back would be to change the motherboard to one that doesn't have the PFS firmware on it.The ROM is the chip on the board.
Jahon_K
_
29. May 2009 @ 15:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
And where do you think I can buy a new ROM?, would it be possible to phisically unatach the current ROM chip from the motherboard and simply atach a new one and install the first firmware, that which I want for my Xtra?

I'm even daring to do that, if possible. Thanks for your answer
coachop
_
30. May 2009 @ 04:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Buy one off Ebay that has a bad hardrive & use that board just confirm before purchase that the firmware was not updated to PFS.
megaman5
_
2. September 2009 @ 06:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you are having any problems, know that YOU MUST HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA 10 installed as it is the one with the driver to get your firmware to flash!!!
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. September 2009 @ 09:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Try using Media Monkey to sync. It is more careful than you are. Sometimes it does not delete all the tunes it should in the first sync but it gets them by the second. The free version is pretty nice.

Some other advice, if your player is working fine why upgrade? Only upgrade if it is not working. WHY? Every now and then ALL the compaines including Apple and M$ have put out killer versions. If you did the wrong thing they are toast! A third of all Zunes were wiped out by an early killer version. That is why they never made it. They killed their customer base and word of mouth killed them. M$ should have offered to replace all the ruined players and the Zune might be still viable. Apple put out a killer version this year.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. September 2009 @ 09:48

fireman00
_
24. September 2009 @ 11:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is what got my 30gig Zen Xtra back up and running after a FUBARed firmware upgrade. I was MediaPlayer 11 on an XP desktop because I did not use MediaPlayer to manage my music files.

1.) Uninstall all Creative software & drivers
2.) Uninstall Media Player 11 and Media Player 11 runtime. This is done by going to add/remove programs and uninstall. This entire process will require 2 reboots.
NOTE: this does NOT put your PC back to MediaPlayer 10, you will HAVE to manually reinstall MediPlayer 10. Side note, I had to pull down the files from Microsoft's site to reinstall MediaPlayer 10.
3.) After the final reboot of the PC, plug the Zen in. You should see a balloon stating new hardware detected.
4.) Open the firmware upgrade file on your desktop/ latop.
5.) On the Zen, select "reload OS".
6.) After several seconds the upgrade should begin.
7.) For some reason the firmware upgrade seemed to have locked up on the Zen. I did a hard reset, the firmware upgrade window on the PC then showed the firmware completed and my trusty 4 year old Zen is now working again.

Here's the link to Microsoft's page on how to remove MediaPlayer 11: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows...sionofthePlayer
richardag
_
25. January 2010 @ 11:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a 60gb Zen Xtra from about 2005-6.

It is pretty much full of songs,and had been good as gold since I got it.

However after not switching it on for 6 months,it seems to have totally died.Assuming it was the battery that was faulty,I bought a new one,but I am unable to charge it through the USB port.

I have tried the reset button and so on,but I can get no life at all.

Can anyone suggest anything? I am very loath to give up on it,as I don't have the music backed up,and it must have taken many hours to download all the music on to it.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
coachop
_
25. January 2010 @ 12:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The battery does not charge via USB You need the wall charger for that. USB is for transferring data only.
nomad78
_
26. January 2010 @ 01:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm pretty sure my 30g doesn't recharge thru the usb, just the power cord.

Are you positive your 60g can? It'd be a nice upgrade if so.
coachop
_
26. January 2010 @ 03:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by nomad78:
I'm pretty sure my 30g doesn't recharge thru the usb, just the power cord.

Are you positive your 60g can? It'd be a nice upgrade if so.
I am positive that it can NOT. I have a 30,40 & 60GB Xtra.
richardag
_
26. January 2010 @ 05:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks for your very speedy responses - my mains charger is broken,can you suggest where I can buy a new one?

Thanks
coachop
_
26. January 2010 @ 12:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't know where you can buy it but,I can tell you that the wall charger for the Sony PSP will work since the polarity is the same. I use one to charge mine.
richardag
_
27. January 2010 @ 04:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks for your response,I'll try a different charger
richardag
_
13. February 2010 @ 06:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
a message for Mr Coachop

I can't seem to find a charger on ebay or anywhere else - do you have a spare one I could buy from you?

Thanks very much

Richard Gray
coachop
_
13. February 2010 @ 14:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Where are you located?? I do not have a spare charger. Remember the wall charger for the Playstation Portable will work as well.
nomad78
_
13. February 2010 @ 18:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Anyone ever buy a car charger for your nomad that didn't work? I got one off Ebay that was supposed to be compatible, however, the player just goes on the fritz, turning on and off in a loop till I unplug it. Once in a blue moon it seems to get it right. And YES, I switched it to car mode! At least it was only 10 bucks. Even the cigarette lighter adapter is falling apart now.
coachop
_
14. February 2010 @ 05:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Anyone ever buy a car charger for your nomad that didn't work? I got one off Ebay that was supposed to be compatible, however, the player just goes on the fritz, turning on and off in a loop till I unplug it. Once in a blue moon it seems to get it right. And YES, I switched it to car mode! At least it was only 10 bucks. Even the cigarette lighter adapter is falling apart now.
I have one I bought on Ebay. works fine. The only time I have ever had a player do what you described was when the battery was really drained & that was with a wallcharger BTW. I never allow my batteries to become totally dead before I charge them to avoid that.
nomad78
_
14. February 2010 @ 15:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually it could be that. My nomad is on its second battery and it doesn't hold as long a charge as the original. It's seems 30% or less every time I try to use the car charger. Guess the car charger just can't keep up with the power demands. Thats never happened while using the wall charger on mine. Hmmm, I wonder how finicky it is with getting the exact voltage and amperage its supposed to.

ANd on another note: Who likes the newer players Creative's been making? Seems they're not making large capacity stuff anymore. They're all multifunctional, video players. Although the Zen 32gb, might be enticing with its smaller physical proportions, and looks like its gone down in price.
coachop
_
14. February 2010 @ 17:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

ANd on another note: Who likes the newer players Creative's been making? Seems they're not making large capacity stuff anymore. They're all multifunctional, video players. Although the Zen 32gb, might be enticing with its smaller physical proportions, and looks like its gone down in price.
I have many Creative players. I still think of the newer models the Zen VM is still the best PMP they have ever made. They are easy to repair or replace parts,upgrade the drive & are cost effective to do so.I have a couple of the Zen (creditcard size) players.They are nice but not as DYI repairable as the VM.
Advertisement
_
__

_
richardag
_
15. February 2010 @ 06:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks coachop,I have ordered a playstation charger from ebay.

afterdawn.com > forums > mobile devices > portable audio players > nomad jukebox zen xtra 30gb serious problem

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork