User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 08:39
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > couple of improvements to bbml/ubb parsing
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Couple of improvements to BBML/UBB parsing
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Page:12Next >
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
28. August 2006 @ 05:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
We have a set of new UBB tags available for testing -- people note that as we're testing these, their functionality and looks might change at any time during the next 1-2 weeks, so please, don't adopt the habit to use them in all your messages -- and don't use these tags in your sig as of yet.

First of all, now tags will be rendered only if they are closed properly, so "open" [img] tags wont make the site look funny anymore.

The basic new tags are:

[ u ] for underline
[ s ] for strikethrough
[ pre ] or [ code ] for pasting something you wish to show in unformatted format, with fixed-width font

Furthermore, a new "experimental" tag is added:

[ myimg=(standard|thumb) ]image_id[ /myimg ] -- this will render either a standard or thumbnail -sized image from "my.afterdawn.com" images, using the ID of the image.

The improvements:

[ quote ] will now also include an option to add a nick of the person you're quoting: [ quote=dRD ]text here[ /quote ] (the =dRD part being the improvement)

[ url ]http://linkhere.example[ /url ] works as always, but now you can also have text labels for links, using them like this:

[ url=http://linkhere.example ]An example of a link[ /url ]

And one, weird, experimental case:

You can use color red now in your posts, by using

[ color=red ]the text here you want to have in red[ /color ]

No other colors are supported as of now and trying to use other colors wont render the tag at all :-)

Some examples:

This is strikethrough.

This is bold.

This is underlined.

This is italics.

This is in red.

This is A new type of link

This is pre-formatted text

And this is an example of the "myimg" using "thumb":

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. August 2006 @ 05:39

Advertisement
_
__

1 product review
_
28. August 2006 @ 05:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sweet...once again, you've gone above and beyond expectations. Nice pic as well...wink, wink.

tocool4u
Suspended permanently
_
28. August 2006 @ 05:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is so cool

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. August 2006 @ 05:46

3 product reviews
_
28. August 2006 @ 11:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
very nice addition , you're doing some good work there homeboy :-)

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
28. August 2006 @ 20:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice addition dRD, but the implementation of that color code worries me...

irc://arcor.de.eu.dal.net/wasted_hate

Wanna tell me off, go ahead.
I dare ya !
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
28. August 2006 @ 22:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by The_fiend:
Nice addition dRD, but the implementation of that color code worries me...
Why?

Webmaster

1 product review
_
29. August 2006 @ 00:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
At first thought only having one color available seemed wierd, but then thinking more, I see it as a good thing. It'll give members another option to add emphasis to their posts or make them stand out in some way or another without turning posts into total rainbow skittles meltdown. The only issue I see is people posting in red and red only.... that would be.... well.... unpleasant for lack of better words.

Can any of these tags be used within each other... ie underlined italics or red urls etc...? <---- Hope I didn't just cause another headache ;)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. August 2006 @ 00:16

I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
29. August 2006 @ 00:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
All the tags should be capable for nesting, so yes, you can make stuff to appear in bold, italics and red at the same time.

Webmaster
AfterDawn Addict
_
29. August 2006 @ 02:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Seems like great progress to me.

1 product review
_
29. August 2006 @ 04:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by zippyd:
The only issue I see is people posting in red and red only.... that would be.... well.... unpleasant for lack of better words.

Who would even try posting all in red, that is just absurd

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. August 2006 @ 04:23

_
29. August 2006 @ 07:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
people are gonna do it Loco, i'd better keep my sunglasses next to my laptop, next to my paracetamol

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
29. August 2006 @ 07:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
creaky: Don't worry, I have no intention whatsoever to make the forums look like an acid trip from 60s -- no smilies, no avatars and most likely I wont add more than 1 or 2 additional colors available to messages. Same goes for font size changes, I'll most likely add something like [head] to allow making sub-headers for stuff like guides, etc, but no wide range of font size changes you see in other forums.

Call me old-fashioned and I'll show you thousand sites that make a person with epilepsy to have seizures ;-)

Webmaster
_
29. August 2006 @ 07:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
phew! - old fashioned is fine by me guv :P

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

1 product review
_
29. August 2006 @ 07:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Call me old-fashioned and I'll show you thousand sites that make a person with epilepsy to have seizures ;-)
hmmm wouldn't be talking about mine would you..... ;P

AfterDawn Addict
_
30. August 2006 @ 05:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is so cool

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
30. August 2006 @ 06:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
/me likes old fashioned too. *Does like creaky and keeps sunglasses close*

irc://arcor.de.eu.dal.net/wasted_hate

Wanna tell me off, go ahead.
I dare ya !
_
30. August 2006 @ 12:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Very nice implementations, dRD.

The colour thing also worries me slightly, as I can see some people posting some ridiculously bright messages, and abusing them, but we'll see.

Hotlinking is something I have always wanted when posting in the aD forums, so good going.
_
31. August 2006 @ 04:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Very nice :-D

Yours Truly; Rav
BitTorrent Safety Guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674
Free Security Software: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257
The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
AfterDawn Addict
_
31. August 2006 @ 04:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't think it will be abused to much, as new posters usually have a hard time with the quotes and img so I doubt if the will get the color........now addicts are another story :)

_
31. August 2006 @ 04:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i've seen a few uses of bold red sentences this morning, its gawd-awful...

AfterDawn Addict
_
31. August 2006 @ 04:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Maybe the red should just be reserved for mods/admin......that way they can get their point across :)

_
31. August 2006 @ 04:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Only ones ill be using are the url improvements and the quoting ones.

SOrry, this immensely annoyed me when i joined that they werent avaiable here, on a few other forums i posted on to get help for games, they had them in use and are very useful. I think.

So, good!

Thanks ireland!![afterdawn legend]
_
31. August 2006 @ 05:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
it can be annoying billybob, but you know annoying when you do 400 Nero logs a day, quoting endless bits of logfile, it's almost like some kind of initiation ritual :P

_
31. August 2006 @ 10:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ha ha, creaky, you creak me up. I mean crack. :P

Thanks ireland!![afterdawn legend]
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
31. August 2006 @ 11:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i aim to please :)

Page:12Next >
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > couple of improvements to bbml/ubb parsing

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork