User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 17:09
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the ultimate dream computer
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The Ultimate Dream Computer
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
3. July 2004 @ 16:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Interesting thought - that the forum thread may be used as a idea generator - when building a new machine. This may not be dead on topic but I am in the process of building a new machine but within the constraints of a budget - a dream machine designed within the constraints of reality. Some one posted:

1 x Western Digital 36.7Gb 'Raptor' Serial ATA150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache - for the system drive.
2 x Western Digital WD740GD 74gb Serial ATA 150 10,000rpm 8mb Cache.

and others posted about Swap Files and Virtual Memory.

This got me thinking - When I was looking at MoBo(s) I was wondering why they were designed with two different RAID controllers (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe). After reading the post on swap files and the dream HDD post I was wondering, if a guy used two of these WD Raptor drives in a string array on one RAID for his primary HDD and two large drives on a second RAID array he could really increase the machines speed. Any thoughts?

JV
Advertisement
_
__
Praetor
_
3. July 2004 @ 22:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Huh? So you are talking about two SATA-RAID configuration? :)

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
_
4. July 2004 @ 08:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah! I have a stripe RAID set up now on two secondary drives that I use for video (Faster transfer to the burner) and am currently putting together the plan for a new system (mine is 3 years old). Well, anyway when looking at MoBos I noticed the better ones come with Dual SATA RAIDs and I wondered why. After reading this thread yesterday it came to me that 1. I did my RAID all wrong - it s/b the primary drive so that I would get the faster swap files as well and 2. That a dual raid configuration might be great for a super fast primary drive setup using two small Raptors and a very fast secondary drive using 2 larger drives in a stripe. The secondary drive could be an ATA 133 drive setup depending on the MOBo configuration.

JV
Praetor
_
4. July 2004 @ 09:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think i'm kinda understanding :) In the context of "Dream Computer" (or even "Resonable Dream Computer") -- wouldnt you get much much more performance from say 2 (or 4) GB of RAM and no swap? Like I mean for a nice (i.e., not Promise) RAID setup, the cards + the drives are pretty expensive (and too expensive IMO if you're just going to optimize it for swap).

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
_
4. July 2004 @ 09:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the input but I'm not sure Decent RAM prices out at about a grand (or more) for 3 GB and you still have to buy HDDs. The MoBO I am looking at maxes out at 3 GB with two chips. I can do the RAID with 1 GB RAM for that and have faster transfer rates throughout the system. I've noticed much fastrer tranfer rates from my HDD to my Burner with the RAID. In fact before the RAID would get errors from too slow a transfer rate to my burners. I think if a guy could put 5 GB of RAM on the MoBo at a reasonable cost that would be the ticket but I don't think 3 will do it. I'm not an expert and you may well be right on - I will have to look into this idea more.

JV
Praetor
_
4. July 2004 @ 09:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
you still have to buy HDDs.
Possibly -- but not so many are required.
Quote:
The MoBO I am looking at maxes out at 3 GB with two chips. I
To my knowledge they dont make 1.5GB DIMMs -- the mobo prolly has three DIMM slots with a total capacity of 3GB running at a slower speed or 2GB runnning at a higher speed. In either case, 2GB of memory is enough to ditch the RAID -- if all you're uisng it for is to augment the swap.
Quote:
I've noticed much fastrer tranfer rates from my HDD to my Burner with the RAID. In fact before the RAID would get errors from too slow a transfer rate to my burners
The faster xfer rates are expected however I'm disturbed that your HDDs had difficulty keeping up with your optical drives (which are orders-of-magnitude slower) -- PIO/DMA?
Quote:
I think if a guy could put 5 GB of RAM on the MoBo at a reasonable cost that would be the ticket but I don't think 3 will do it
Let's keep in mind that this thread is dedicated to the "no expense spared computer" but even then, 3GB is more than enough to eliminate the need for swap -- for the time being.

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
_
4. July 2004 @ 10:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's not a wonder you have this thread to yourself.

JV
Prisoner
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
5. July 2004 @ 07:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Still thinking in the practical world and with not too much expense line. Would it be possible to modify a PCMICA card addaptor with (8 in 1) capabilty to hold multiple Ram or Compact flash chips. So do some hardware alterations and make a hard drive from very fast 4Gb Compact flash or an array of 2GB Ram chips. This you could set up as your primary fast solid state hard disk. Should work, by I know I haven`t discribed this correctly.

I am not a number
I am a Free Man

Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 13:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
It's not a wonder you have this thread to yourself.
Quote:
Essentially, spec out the best money can buy!
Now now that was hardly required as the premise for this thread was for the most extravagant setup one can concieve :)

Prisoner
That's a dang good idea ... I completely forgot about solid state drives! :) That would definitely solve your swap. problems :)

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
_
5. July 2004 @ 14:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Praetor, Yesterday your response appeared to be more abrupt and harsher than it appears today. I apoligize, my remark wasn't warranted.

JV
Prisoner
_
5. July 2004 @ 14:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was thinking of a Ram chip array if you like soldering conected to a PCMICA addaptor or USB 2 or what ever. If not so much on the soldering, just buy a external enclosure and use it backwards, plug one end into the desired port of the computer and stack the USB2 or Firewire end with a multi card reader loaded with the fastest, large capacity cards you can aford. I think this would work and reconize as a primary drive.

Some one out there should have some fun, Compact flash are really small, and large capacity for the price.

I am not a number
I am a Free Man

Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 14:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Without drifing too far off topic, would CF be incredibly... uh... slow? :)

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Prisoner
_
5. July 2004 @ 15:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well you do have a point on compact flash. See:
http://www.supermediastore.com/ridhigtransp.html
This chip is the "fastest CF" and only 6MB/sec. Kind of really slow. SD has a chip that is 10MB/sec.

But with the fastest Hard drive being 500Mb/s that is only 27MB/sec if I can still do math, so not too far and most people do have 133 setups which is only about 16MB/sec. So its geting there, but for the cost really too slow and does defeat the point.

But you could buy this
which is what I didn't think was out yet. Only $900 for the board which max capacity is 4GB.

The write up was as follows:
Quote:
Cenatek offers solid state disks based on an innovative PCI-based form factor, making our SSD units very cost-effective, easy to install and easy to use. Rocket Drive's entry-level pricing for 1 GB capacity boards start at $499 without memory and $1,199 with memory. End-users such as gaming enthusiasts and multimedia editors truly appreciate the affordability of these units.

Our most popular model is the Rocket Drive with 4 GB capacity which is available as a board only for $899, or populated and tested with certified memory for $3,599. Rocket Drive supports Windows 2000/XP/NT, Red Hat Linux 7.3/8.0, FreeBSD, and Solaris 8/UltraSPARC II platforms, and can be found in use today on GIS, financial/trading, and other transaction-intensive database systems.
Professionals using data-intensive applications such as AutoCAD, Oracle, mail managers, and HTML document conversion software also appreciate the scalability and high speed performance of CENATEK's PCI-based solid state disks. Extending the life of existing infrastructure (e.g., not having to upgrade their workstations or servers) translates into cost- and time-saving benefits, in addition to the increase in productivity gained by using Rocket Drive. With an access time of 0.6 microseconds, Rocket Drive has been benchmarked by our customers at over 35,000 I/O operations per second and has provided transfer rates over 5X faster than that of hard disk drives.

I am not a number
I am a Free Man

_
5. July 2004 @ 16:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It seems to me that in the late 80s there were daughter boards that were built to carry additional ram through the system bus. There are possibly things of that nature today. A few years ago when RAM was dirt-cheap one could put 5GB on such a board for about $350. Anyway I would like to talk more about system memory, RAM and storage, as well as other configuration issues after I do some research. You guys are extremely well informed and I value your input. I'll see you guys on the "other hardware" forum before I commit to a particular set-up. I have read a lot here and know you guys have a vast knowledge of systems.

Quote:

Let's keep in mind that this thread is dedicated to the "no expense spared computer" but...

Praetor, I agree and I meant the apology. But it seems as I do more research my Computer Upgrade Venture is becoming more of a Dream Machine. Anyway when I'm ready to build I'll start another thread for building a dream machine on a budget. The budget is too embarrassing to mention at this point. You guys have a great evening.

JV
Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 16:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I'll start another thread for building a dream machine on a budget. The budget is too embarrassing to mention at this point. You guys have a great evening.
Awesome idea... i've been considering that kinda thread... justs didnt know how to start it off heehee ... as for the budget -- i know the feeling

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Prisoner
_
5. July 2004 @ 16:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well as my budget is usually only free stuff Labs throw out or stuff I find in the street. I can`t think your budget is that laughable.
Yes I am that guy going though the garbage in front of computer stores in Toronto. Hey thats How I got a couple 2Gb drives and some good ram.
Also Pawnshops are good for computer stuff. But you do have to love to solder to make the good stuff.

Yes little off topic, but I thought people should know my maddness in this hobby. I think I would like a budget computer thread as well. :P

I am not a number
I am a Free Man

Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 18:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Yes I am that guy going though the garbage in front of computer stores in Toronto
LMAO ... get ur arse back to 'loo on Thursdays then! UW Junk sale ... hell you can pick up a nice triple tube theater projector for $150 (which is the most expensive thing in the place by an order of magnitude). Hell you can grab a decent 19" for $1.50+tax heehee

Quote:
I think I would like a budget computer thread as well. :P
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. July 2004 @ 18:44

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
5. July 2004 @ 19:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hmm! I give my used stuff to the kids at a school near where I live, where I work. I rebuild the old computer parts into a computer with and for the kids. I wouldn't throw parts away if I thought they still worked. However if you're looking to stay on top of the computer technology curve you don't do it by dumpster diving.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/
Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 19:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Hmm! I give my used stuff to the kids at a school near where I live, where I work
Damn! So.... where do you live????? :)

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
5. July 2004 @ 19:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Tampa Florida!

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 19:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A tad to far for me so I'll stick to my dumpsters heehee ... however more on topic, has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20? :)

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
5. July 2004 @ 20:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20? No! What size of monitor? This is mine.

has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. July 2004 @ 20:33

Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 20:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
17" or bigger preferably (ideally 19") but it doesnt matter.... if the d.p. is less than 0.20, hell i'd switch to a smaller monitor!

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
5. July 2004 @ 20:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Praetor

You know that the dot pitch changes with size on CRT's, but I wouldn't trade CRTs 1:1 for the current LCD monitors.

Advertisement
_
__

_
Praetor
_
5. July 2004 @ 20:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Arent most LCDs sitting at 0.28-0.31?
Quote:
You know that the dot pitch changes with size on CRT's
Yes but it's not that much of a direct relationship. Dot pitch is still measured (roughly) the same way and still measured using absolute units (i.e., millimetres). Now i could be misinterpreting you ....

1GB KingMax PC3700
XFX 6800GT 256MB

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the ultimate dream computer

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork