User User name Password  

Wednesday 29.5.2024 / 00:21
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > nintendo gamecube - general discussion > tutorial: how to play backups w/o mod chip, only max drive pro memcard
Show topics

Forums
Forums
TUTORIAL: How to play backups w/o mod chip, only Max Drive Pro Memcard
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
1. March 2006 @ 15:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm pretty sure all you need to adjust the POT laser is a multimeter (5$ at circuit city/best buy if you don't alrdy have one) and a screwdriver. There is a faq on modthatcube that explains it better than I ever could, but the site is down ATM. So when it gets back up, you can check it out.
Advertisement
_
__
j9990
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
2. March 2006 @ 02:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Will this one do?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-7-FUNCTION_W0QQ...

And also, do I need to buy any special screwdriver, or will a standard one do?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. March 2006 @ 03:29

jbones
_
2. March 2006 @ 05:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This worked for me after a little experimenting. The reason some are getting the not recognizing the media is because it is not being burned on the disk as an image. That was my first mistake, once I corrected that it has worked every time. Burning these small disks works differently burning images than the standard size disks. I'm using Nero 6 and it actually corrected me and asked if I wanted to burn the image.
xerofyre
_
2. March 2006 @ 12:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ya Nero 6 corrected me too and burned it as an image, still no luck :(
_
3. March 2006 @ 08:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yea a philips head screwdriver should do just fine. Any digital multimeter will do I can't see that one on eBay because it's been taken off but anything will do.
j9990
_
3. March 2006 @ 09:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Okay, I bought one. It's a digital multimeter, and here's some from it's description on eBay:
Quote:
New Pocket Digital Tester Multimeter 830B LCD 2 Leads

This model 830B Digital multimeter and tester features the following Scales:

# DC voltage 200mV to 1kV
# AC voltage 200V-750V
# DC current 200 microamp-10 Amp
# Resistance 200-2meg Ohm
# Transistor & diode test

Additional Features include:

# 5.5" x 2.25 " x 1.5" overall size
# 3.5 inch visible and easy to read LCD
# Positive set selector switch
# 28" (red and black) leads
# Fuse and diode protected circuit
# 9 volt battery included
# Instruction manual included
And a picture of it:

Will that do?

I noticed: "# Resistance 200-2meg Ohm"
I'm guessing that means it won't measure below 200 ohms, but that's alright because I'll be adjusting it to between 180-210 ohms, so and it can measure down to 210... right?
_
3. March 2006 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that multimeter is fine. the range 200Ohms doesnt mean that, you have to actually set the dial to 2k before taking any readings. It will still work fine.

http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/content/pot.htm

Check there for more details on how to do this.
badmonkey
_
3. March 2006 @ 10:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So a strange thing happened..last night while playing Legend of Zelda Wind Waker when we went to a room after beating the first dungon.I got a DRE ... reset the game and it has been working fine eversence..anyone else have this problem with while in a game you get a DRE and after a reset all is well??
beermunky
_
3. March 2006 @ 11:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think someone asked a question about what I've just done:

I burnt an ISO to a full size (yellow datawrite from ebuyer)DVD-R and cut around it with sharp scissors (about 3 mm larger than 8cm discs because that just still fits).

To look at the dye side it looks messy around the edges but i put it in after my max drive and tried it and it works! (I'm the guy thats been using orange mini tuffdiscs too)

Hope that is useful to someone somewhere

---
beermunky
_
3. March 2006 @ 11:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Also a note to everyone, My cube's booted every back up i threw at it using GCOS1.5 but it wont boot original games using gcos1.5 as if i was booting a backup

---
_
3. March 2006 @ 11:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
good way to ruin your gamecube just to save a few bucks.
Xian
_
3. March 2006 @ 13:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I had a problem with the Max Drive Pro card last night. We had a power outage while it was trying to save a file. After rebooting the card was corrupt. The manual says to reformat it hold down Start then press Z on the game cube controller. As soon as I did that it would go to a red screen with a hex dump. The PC would not read the card either. I ended up just using the normal game cube cartridge format and it worked fine. I stuck it in the game cube and it said it was corrupt and asked if I wanted to format it. I said yes and it formatted it fine. Of course I lost all of the saves that were on there but most I had backed up on the another card. What I am wondering is what the Max Drive system file does? The manual states that it is essential to the operation of the Max Drive, and since I formatted the card using the Game Cube instead of the Max Drive software that file was not restored. Everything as far as I can tell is working properly without it.
contempt
_
3. March 2006 @ 15:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So, definitely starting out with problems. I got the gcos, got the mem card, and hooked it up to my computer. I installed and opened the software and dragged gcos on, and it formatted it and put it on there. I put it in my gamecube, and held start when opening a (normal game). I didn't try a swap yet, I haven't burned any dvds, i wanted to test it as a mem card. And first i pressed start to see how many game blocks it had.

However, it said the memory card is corrupted, format? So I did. I ended up formatting, and then it created a save game file or whatever. I then rebooted holding start, and again it said the mem card was corrupted. I let it format again. I then removed it and hooked it up the computer. Now with MD I'm getting an error reading card... AHH

Any idea what the heck to do?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. March 2006 @ 15:41

j9990
_
3. March 2006 @ 16:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
So, definitely starting out with problems. I got the gcos, got the mem card, and hooked it up to my computer. I installed and opened the software and dragged gcos on, and it formatted it and put it on there. I put it in my gamecube, and held start when opening a (normal game). I didn't try a swap yet, I haven't burned any dvds, i wanted to test it as a mem card. And first i pressed start to see how many game blocks it had.

However, it said the memory card is corrupted, format? So I did. I ended up formatting, and then it created a save game file or whatever. I then rebooted holding start, and again it said the mem card was corrupted. I let it format again. I then removed it and hooked it up the computer. Now with MD I'm getting an error reading card... AHH

Any idea what the heck to do?
Hmm... well, when I got my MAX Drive Pro, I tried using it just as a memory card too, and when it said "There are no Paper Mario save files on this memory card. Would you like to create one?", I said yes. Then after a few seconds it said it is corrupt (I didn't format, afraid it'd delete that system file).

Then, I go to my friends house and try it on his cube - same error. But then, using GCoS, I play a backup, and when it asked about creating a save file, I said yes, and no error. Odd o_O

BTW, my multimeter has been shipped - can't wait to get it so I can make my cube work :).
xhardc0re
_
3. March 2006 @ 16:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Xian, so you had a power outage? I always suggest ppl buy a backup system that protected lightning and surges. They will pay back their costs in a yr. Try these: http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=22
Xian
_
3. March 2006 @ 18:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a UPS on the computer, just not on the game cube, n64,and PS1 in the kids playroom. I really never had any trouble before in 24 years of gaming since my first Atari 800 in 1982, just bad timing on that one to be in the middle of a save process when the power went out. No harm done, and it still appears to work okay, I just wanted to know what the system file was for since it is working without it even though the manual for the Max Drive says it is essential for correct operation.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. March 2006 @ 18:54

_
3. March 2006 @ 21:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ Xian: Did you ever notice how every time you save a game it says "Please do not remove memory card or press the power button while saving" ? That's exactly why ;). Your lucky the memcard didn't get completely fried.

@ Contempt: If @ Anytime your MDPro isn't being detected by your comp, stick it in your gamecube and boot up the Max Drive Pro Gamecube software. When it loads up, press "A" button (it will be scrolling on the bottom of your screen saying "Press A to prepare the MDPro for usage on the PC) and it will prepare the Max Drive Pro for usage on the PC. I also believe this will restore the "File System" you are all so worried about.

@j99: good luck! Post your troubles/results for others to learn from.
contempt
_
4. March 2006 @ 05:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks man, will try that.

I should able to hold down start when I boot the gamecube to see what files are saved on there shouldn't I, or not? Can't I use it as a memcard for normal games also?
_
4. March 2006 @ 07:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's wierd but for me, I have to hold down A, not start, when I load the gamecube to go into the default GC Setup (where you change the time and look in your memory cards). However, it does make sense that the MDPro isn't detected via this method, because it has it's own filesystem. If you wanna look at the contents of your MaxDrivePro memorycard, you should boot up the MDPRo software and that will allow you to take a look @ it.

Also, I personally have been able to use it as a memory card I currently have plenty of games saved on it, even from the SNES emulator. However, I have only saved games that have been loaded through GcoS. You should be able to use it normally too, but I haven't tried it personally and it seems j9990 says it doesn't work. I guess it's hit or miss, but I will try to use the MaxDrivePro as a regular memory card on a normal gamecube game booted directly and tell you if it works.
contempt
_
4. March 2006 @ 08:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I formatted the MDP again. Then, I played a normal game (splinter cell) and it let me save. I then ran the MDP dvd on the gamecube and hit a, it it changed the Splinter Cell game file to pc ready or whatever. I then hooked the MDP up to my pc, and it recognized it. I also dragged the gcos on there and converted it. I then put the drive back in my gamecube, and booted using the MDP dvd. It saw both files on there.

So then I turned it off and put splinter cell in. However when i tried to load, it said it was corrupted. I didn't format, but...

When I converted the splinter cell to be able to be used on pc, does that automatically make the drive not able to be used with gamecube until I delete it or change the format via the pc or something?
_
4. March 2006 @ 08:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
formatting the MDPro for PC use shouldn't affect the saved game itself, I've done this many times and my saved games were unaffected. Once again though, I've yet to test it on an original game, so far I've only saved games which were burnt.
contempt
_
4. March 2006 @ 10:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I got it to work with a burned game after formatting and putting gcos back on and all. Eternal Darkness. However, the video did stop at one point after opening a door after a bit... but I'm going to hope that was a fluke or a game burn problem and not worry about that.

I played with a normal game again, and save was working. However, once I put the MDP disk back in to play another burned game later, I got a hardware read error again. Now on my computer I am getting an error reading card. I guess I'm going to format and put gcos back on and try with just saving burned games and not mess with normal games and see if it works.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. March 2006 @ 11:00

contempt
_
4. March 2006 @ 11:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ugh. I tried to play burned call of duty: big red one, and it let me create a save file and all, but once I selected new game and it started loading, I get an error. Black screen and it says something like, "An error has occured. Please refer to the gamecube manual for more instructions." Sigh. Dunno if it's the game or whats the problem.
beermunky
_
4. March 2006 @ 14:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
brucedlx i dont see how it could damage my gamecube, its not like there are any loose bits on the disc. If cube had a tray drive like ps2 then i could see how it would, but as it is I can't see how it could possibly do any damage. Surely it couldnt be damaging the laser as the inner bit of the disc is completely fine (obviously as it works!). brucedlx do you know much about gamecube laser and should I stop using cut up discs (I've now burned over 40 games to fullsize DVDs and cut them (Saving about £10 compared to minis! & £24 and risk of damaging due to replacing case)) Are you telling me I shouldn't use them?

---
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
4. March 2006 @ 16:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am telling you that you shouldn't use them. The reason is because when you cut the discs, the layer of dye gets moved around and that is very sensitive. Immediately, you might not see any mal effect, but over time the dye may shift around and your data may get corrupted. The gamecube laser will keep trying to read it though, and this puts excess strain on it.

I personally can't believe you would go that far (snipping DVDs) just to save 10 pounds! Your not saving enough money by not having to buy originals? Snipping DVD's is absolutely unheard of, and I'm very surprised your games even work.

However, my comments above are just speculation, and there may not be any damage at all to your GC. But I do strongly recommend against it.

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > nintendo gamecube - general discussion > tutorial: how to play backups w/o mod chip, only max drive pro memcard

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork