User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 12:19
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > digital video discussion for linux users > ripping encoding with linux
Show topics

Forums
Forums
ripping encoding with linux
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Page:12Next >
kebabs
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
24. June 2004 @ 10:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,
I'm running mandrake linux 9.1 and was wondering
if anyone knows of any progs for ripping dvds and
also for encoding to divx or vcdsvcd
Advertisement
_
__
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
24. June 2004 @ 15:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
kebabs
_
24. June 2004 @ 15:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cheers
PDR60
Suspended permanently
_
25. June 2004 @ 21:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
oops

It seems my posts keep getting edited by the Mod so I will try once again.

There is a how to on Linux loader dot com. give it a look

I'm not allowed to link to my site to help anyone?? www-dot-linuxloader-dot-com

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. December 2005 @ 06:38

_
22. December 2005 @ 03:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thread teleported to new Linux forum

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. December 2005 @ 03:03

xxschizo
_
7. January 2006 @ 06:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey - videohelp.com is a great source for apps and whatnot for Linux and other users - they have the transcode files, which are good. Should check them out.

gm
gogochar
_
27. December 2006 @ 14:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm running DVD Shrink under Wine. I already have LibCSS and all that other junk. Question is: will it transfer all of the new Sony ArcossDVDs to my harddrive? Or will I need something else like DVD::Rip?

xxschizo
_
4. January 2007 @ 12:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi. i don't know the answer to your question but there is a thread, although rather old, on videohelp which might help . . .

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t279395.html

it seems you might need to use DVD Decrypter or perhaps AnyDVD if decoding is the problem....since you say will it 'transfer' the sony dvds... i'm not sure what that means... i assume you mean rip and shrink, etc......???

xx
gogochar
_
4. January 2007 @ 13:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is a Linux thread. Those programs are for Windoze. I was looking for a Linux solution. I guess there isn't one though. And no, if it takes buying Windoze, then no, I won't bother backing up DVDs. I will just have to buy a new one if they get scratched up, which is a PITA.

xxschizo
_
4. January 2007 @ 20:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well... you were asking if you could continue using DVD Shrink under wine..... or would you need another program.... so......

anyway, i've used dvd::rip and acid rip, both with great success. acid rip is faster; dvd::rip has more features/options.

you probably know this page of linux video tools:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=23#23

but i thought just in case . . .

i have never had a problem copying a sony, or any other, disk. sometimes i've had to update a program or whatever but it's never been a big deal.

i know how you feel about microsoft. i never want to pay them money for anything again. ever.

xx
gogochar
_
4. January 2007 @ 22:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by xxschizo:
well... you were asking if you could continue using DVD Shrink under wine..... or would you need another program.... so......
Yeah, I know, but DVD Decrypter and DVDFab Decrypter don't work under Wine.
Quote:
anyway, i've used dvd::rip and acid rip, both with great success. acid rip is faster; dvd::rip has more features/options.

you probably know this page of linux video tools:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=23#23

but i thought just in case . . .

i have never had a problem copying a sony, or any other, disk. sometimes i've had to update a program or whatever but it's never been a big deal.

i know how you feel about microsoft. i never want to pay them money for anything again. ever.

xx
I tried Acid Rip, but to no avail on Arcoss discs. I have yet to figure out DVD::Rip. Know of any good guides?

janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
6. January 2007 @ 03:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
** edit **

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. May 2007 @ 08:31

xxschizo
_
7. January 2007 @ 06:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
gogo:

my biggest problem with dvd::rip was the install and thankfully there is a neat install package for ubuntu users. other than that, i'm pretty sure i just used the help info available from dvd::rip. it's a little confusing but very 'doable'.

xx
janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
8. January 2007 @ 08:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
** edit **

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. May 2007 @ 08:32

1 product review
_
8. January 2007 @ 16:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

gogochar
_
8. January 2007 @ 17:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks. Hijack: what happened to your old train sig? I liked it.

1 product review
_
9. January 2007 @ 02:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I got tired of it...needed something different.

I don't use linux yet, but the thread I linked you to suggests that at least a few of the popular ripping tools work with wine.

_
16. January 2007 @ 17:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Yeah, I know, but DVD Decrypter and DVDFab Decrypter don't work under Wine.
DVD Decrypter & Ripit4Me work great with Wine. ImgBurn is also very stable so far. I have even seen a couple of posts saying DVD Rebuilder & Cinema Craft Encoder will work under Wine.
janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
17. January 2007 @ 04:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
** edit **

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. May 2007 @ 08:33

_
18. January 2007 @ 02:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There are lot's of great Linux tools out there, I am still trying to learn most of them.So far I have had good luck with Wine and the few programs that have me left using Windows. Getting closer to ditching Windows all together as Vista approaches.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. January 2007 @ 02:29

drakshug
_
25. March 2007 @ 10:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There is a linux version of DVD Shrink. I use it along with K9copy, videodvd rip and K AVI to VCD.
_
29. March 2007 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Maybe it's just me but I have had great success running all my favorite Windows DVD programs running under Wine with very few issues and in some cases better performance on my dual boot Linux/Windows XP machine. Here is a list of the programs That I have been able to get going.

DVD Decrypter
DVD Shrink
RipIt4Me
DVD Rebuilder Pro & Free
VobBlanker
PgcEdit
ImgBurn
DVD Info Pro

And working on more, as well as some bugs in the above programs.
xxschizo
_
29. March 2007 @ 06:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
just a reminder - i believe this thread at least started out to be an inquiry into dvd ripping/encoding programs that work with linux - WITHOUT a WINE interface. I think everyone knows you can run (some) Windows programs using Wine, including DVDShrink, etc.

For the record, there is NOT a DVDShrink version that runs on Linux without the Wine interface.

I use Acidrip to copy DVDs to mp4 (XviD) files in about the same time it takes to convert a commercial DVD movie to DivX running Windows. Quality is comparable.

xxx
janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
29. March 2007 @ 23:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
** edit **

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. May 2007 @ 08:34

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
30. March 2007 @ 16:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
just a reminder - i believe this thread at least started out to be an inquiry into dvd ripping/encoding programs that work with linux - WITHOUT a WINE interface. I think everyone knows you can run (some) Windows programs using Wine, including DVDShrink, etc.
Here is the original post

Quote:
Hi,
I'm running mandrake linux 9.1 and was wondering
if anyone knows of any progs for ripping dvds and
also for encoding to DivX or vcdsvcd
I don't see any mention of programs about programs that run under Linux without Wine in the original post. Windows programs are not the problem Microsoft is!

Page:12Next >
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > digital video discussion for linux users > ripping encoding with linux

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork