User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 08:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - general discussion > ps2 official hdd installed not found.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
ps2 official hdd installed not found.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
spyrek
_
18. February 2010 @ 00:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i just purchased a hdd for an old ps2 i borrowed from a friend. it was the ff11 bundle. i put the hdd in, with the network card. i didn't use the network start up disc, but i used a game with online ability's and the connection test was fine etc. so i think the net adapter is installed, but on the dash/browser on the ps2 no hdd or ff11. i put in the terta disc that came with ff11, and it says no hdd found. i don't know if i really need the start up disc ill get one on ebay i just didn't know if maybe there was a trouble shooting methond some one might know. thanks (p.s) i tried Google, but everything led to modding etc, id rather get the hdd working before i worry about game back ups. - thanks kev.
Advertisement
_
__
spyrek
_
22. February 2010 @ 00:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
id like to throw an update, i did a little research and attempted to connect the ps2 hdd to my pc via ide, i have one ide port on my mobo, but with all jumpers removed i still could not get the pc to boot past bios, if i could even hit del to edit etc, it wouldnt even show a hdd in ide on master or slave.
_
12. March 2010 @ 21:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
2 possibilities why the the PS2 browser is not displaying the HDD.

*1 - The HDD needs to be re-formatted. You can use the HDD format disc (comes bundled with the Final Fantasy Online pack) to format the HDD. **Keep on mind if you format the drive, all data (even pre-installed software like Final Fantasy and Tetra) will be deleted. You will then need to re-install Final Fantasy onto the HDD. How? I don't know. Try using FFO disc 2 (because disc 1 certainly will not install anything).

*2 - The HDD may be dead or damaged. These drives are extremely fragile and can short circuit or damage with even the slightest static/shock (I went through 2 of these official Sony HDD). If the HDD is dead/damage, it will not be detected by the PS2 nor the PC.

From the PC. Again, 2 possibilities.

*1 - Like I said above - Dead/damaged HDD.

*2 - If the HDD is not dead, look for, and download an app called "WINHIIP". Any HDD for use with the PS2 has to have a PS2 Master Boot Record, which explains why Windows/Mac will not and can not detect the HDD (regardless the jumper settings). Using Winhiip, it will help you "see" the Sony drive. You can use Winhiip to format and write the PS2 MBR onto the HDD as well (really useful if you do not have the original HDD format disc). If your PC still does not detect the HDD even while using Winhiip, it's more than likely the drive is dead/damaged (throw it away).
onehanded
_
5. October 2013 @ 17:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by 0951751:
2 possibilities why the the PS2 browser is not displaying the HDD.

*1 - The HDD needs to be re-formatted. You can use the HDD format disc (comes bundled with the Final Fantasy Online pack) to format the HDD. **Keep on mind if you format the drive, all data (even pre-installed software like Final Fantasy and Tetra) will be deleted. You will then need to re-install Final Fantasy onto the HDD. How? I don't know. Try using FFO disc 2 (because disc 1 certainly will not install anything).

*2 - The HDD may be dead or damaged. These drives are extremely fragile and can short circuit or damage with even the slightest static/shock (I went through 2 of these official Sony HDD). If the HDD is dead/damage, it will not be detected by the PS2 nor the PC.

From the PC. Again, 2 possibilities.

*1 - Like I said above - Dead/damaged HDD.

*2 - If the HDD is not dead, look for, and download an app called "WINHIIP". Any HDD for use with the PS2 has to have a PS2 Master Boot Record, which explains why Windows/Mac will not and can not detect the HDD (regardless the jumper settings). Using Winhiip, it will help you "see" the Sony drive. You can use Winhip to format and write the PS2 MBR onto the HDD as well (really useful if you do not have the original HDD format disc). If your PC still does not detect the HDD even while using Winhip, it's more than likely the drive is dead/damaged (throw it away).
my hardrive is detected in ps2 but not detected in pc.
Its detected in device manager but not detected with winhip or usb util etc
set it to slave and master (tried both)
Sorry to barge in on the thread but maybe tryin to solve both our problems in one hit
onehanded
_
5. October 2013 @ 17:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just thought.
If I remember the ps2 hardrive tends to work better with older pc motherboards.
I am connecting it to a quad core gaming pc.
Could be wrong as I have not done this for around 6 years
Advertisement
_
__

_
megadunderhead
_
3. December 2013 @ 22:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wow really!!!

Ok let me explain the sony ps2 hard drive cannot be read in a computer if it was formatted in a computer your out of luck as it will no longer work on the ps2 because once you format it out of the ps2 format you can no longer boot from the drive!!

See this is where it gets good!!!!!!

the ps2 hard drive once installed has the new updated ps2 o.s on the hard drive and if it can't find the o.s the ps2 won't boot!!!
Related links
For more PS2 discussion, please visit our sister site, Blasteroids.com
Read our PS2 backup tutorial & information package

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2 3 16. July 2020 News comments
First PS2 games on PS4 available now including GTA, Twisted Metal 10 13. December 2015 News comments
Sony: PlayStation 4 very likely to surpass PS2 in profitability 19 10. June 2014 News comments
ps2 can display 3 1. June 2014 PS2 - General discussion
how to mod a ps2 1 16. May 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Two PS2 Slims - One Accepts Swap Magic, one doesnt... All Detail inside 1 1. May 2014 PS2 - DVD backup discussion
How to burn PS2 games with Free McBoot 2 20. April 2014 PS2 - Software boot discussion
PS2 Hard Drive Loader 1 1. April 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Convert from PS2 to TV format? 1 4. March 2014 Convert video to another format
PS2 AR Max Hardware problem 4 21. January 2014 PS2 - General discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - general discussion > ps2 official hdd installed not found.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork