User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 23:21
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > the summary of cd-r brands - read before asking!
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The summary of CD-R brands - READ BEFORE ASKING!
  Jump to:

Posted Message
OhSoS
_
28. April 2003 @ 10:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
what kind of problems you encounter?
under-run errors?

i use them primarily for audio compilations and have yet to experience any problems.
Advertisement
_
__
Anomander
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
17. May 2003 @ 06:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,

I've mostly used Memorex and never before encountered problems with them until last week when I bought a spindle with 50 CD-Rs, 700MB, 52x and was only able to burn the whole lot of them at a speed of 4x. The Nero CD Info identified the manufacturer as being Prodisc. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of my cd drive. All I can tell you is that it came with a Dell Laptop and is a CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R combo drive and can usually burn CD-Rs at a speed of 10x. Wether or not this means that Prodisc needs to be taken out of the trusted list I cannot say. I just wanted to have mentioned this...

CU all
_
20. May 2003 @ 21:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cd-rw.org you can edit Verbatim on the list to include Taiyo Yuden. I just bought a 50 Spindle of Verbatim which were Taiyo Yuden.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. June 2003 @ 13:18

cd-rw.org

4 product reviews
_
21. May 2003 @ 13:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks!

The old school is back. All hail the new http://BitBurners.com !
zamsak
_
3. June 2004 @ 02:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I had a very good exp with Moserbaer

Practice makes a man perfect but at the same time no on is perfect so why Practice????
bratcher
_
3. March 2006 @ 13:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have CDR brands to report. E3Works codes as Lead Data,
Imation is Moser Baer & the whire label Blue print Memorex is Ritek.

2nd & third I've seem before but not E3Works.

Got these from an old time radio group &I belong to. Borrowed from the group library. The 4 Bob Hope CD's get put on the HD then burned to a Sony DVD. The other two single discs get copied to Ritek discs. Then the original discs go back to the group library...
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2006 @ 15:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bought a 100 pack of Verbatim CD-R that were ProDisc ... work great!

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
_
19. May 2006 @ 12:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I thought Verbatim CD-R manufacturing would follow true-to-form like DVD+R. I got six 100 packs, and the boxes say Mitsubishi Chemical. The discs ID as CMC Magnetics. Did I get taken? TIA!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. May 2006 @ 12:54

LCLB
_
29. June 2006 @ 01:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is there an updated list of reliable cd-r brands/ manufacturers? this one is 3 years old. there are brands that aren't listed on it. as well as the fact that alot of brands have probably changed manufacturers since the list was made.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. July 2006 @ 14:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The only manufacturer I really trust is Prodisc, but it's hard to figure out which brand is using them.Fujifilm and Maxell are Prodisc (this month anyway).
The rest are a toss-up.
Recent Verbatims are Ritek, also some Dysan that I purchased were Ritek.The Dysan were a bulk pack and did not look very appealing out of the package.They weren't very good, even burning at reduced speed.
Although Memorex get a bad rap in the DVD forum, the CD's I see recently were made by Prodisc.I know people who use them a lot, with no problems.
I use Ritek white printables with no problems.
bratcher
_
29. July 2006 @ 03:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you run across any old stock Memorex Cool Colors CDR's the ones I got last year were made by Prodisc. Once I found out they weren't CMC I cleaned out a Blockbuster that was selling them off at $1.25 per 25 pack. 125 discs in all!!
bratcher
_
29. July 2006 @ 03:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The Prodisc Memorex I meantioned worked fine as audiodiscs burned around 32z with a small number of dats discs also burned at 32x.

Here are the stats from one I checked in Nero CD-DVD Speed.

General Information
Drive: CDWRITERIDE5232
Firmware: A030
Disc: Audio CD (Prodisc)
Selected speed: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 49
Average: 1.29
Total: 5941
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 2:17
Number of samples: 5246
Average scanning interval: 1.14 sec
Glitches removed: 0

I never had trouble with the Ridata branded CDR's or even the DVD-R's) I got from Meritline. They burned great in both my Emprex CDR writer & my Plextor 716-A. The Dysan ones that were meantioned must have been a bad batch. The CD's burned well at 52x in the Emorex (& 48x in the Plextor) plus the DVD-R's were fine at 8x. but then I don't burn CD's over 32x & often at 16x to try & get a better quality burn. Same with DVD's. I often burn them at half the rated speed.

Does anybody know how to post a picture (& where that pic is stored) to the group? I wanted to post the actual Nero graph I got from this disc.
AfterDawn Addict
_
29. July 2006 @ 05:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@bratcher
All of my 'Ritek' disks, the Dysan,Maxell and Ritek were the same code:
I agree that the Dysan were exceptions to the rule.
Images can be uploaded to many sites for storage, 'Imageshack' is one.
The code to insert in your post is stored with your image.
The format of the code can be seen when you edit your post.It can be seen when you edit your post (the little pencil and notepad on the top-right of the post).
The "img" on this forum must be lower case.
As here:

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. July 2006 @ 05:22

bratcher
_
30. December 2006 @ 18:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I picked up a MIJ 50 pack of Fugifilm at Randalls today while I'm waiting for my silver/matte TY's to arrive from Supermediastore. 48x & they code out as TY. Did I get some older stock or has Fugifilm gone back to TY for it's discs?
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 18:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
All of the FujiFilm CD-R media that I've been purchasing at KMart for the last year or so has been Ty . . Several month ago they had packs of 50 for $7.99 at KMart . . buy one get one free . . .I purchased two CASES and have had zero coasters in over 300 burns so far . .

Funny thing is that 2 of my burners, HP740b and Plextor PX712a won't burn them at all

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
Platy767
_
31. December 2006 @ 15:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is there variability / better / worse within TY CD-Rs and a way of identifying this?

Here is the Nero CD Speed info on 3 different TY discs (purchased as TY).
No 1 is a "Master grade" CDR - No branding
No 2 is a Silver/Silver CDR - No branding
No 3 is a Branded "That's CDR" Taiyo Yuden Made in Japan

All have MID 97m24s01f, which is fair enough as they are all TY, but there doesn't appear to be any differentiation between "Master grade" and normal EM or branded discs. All 3 types burned fine on my laptop at 24X.

No 1 Master grade:
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Taiyo Yuden
MID : 97m24s01f
Write speeds: : 10 X - 16 X - 24 X
Capacity: : 79:59.72
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 18 01 00 4F 3B 48 00 00 00 00 00 -

....a...O;H.....
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

No 2 Silver/silver:
Basic Information
Extended Information
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP

....a...O;H.....
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -

No 3 Branded "That's CDR" Taiyo Yuden Made in Japan
Basic Information
Extended Information
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP

....a...O;H.....
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -

bratcher
_
31. December 2006 @ 18:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
All of the FujiFilm CD-R media that I've been purchasing at KMart for the last year or so has been Ty . . Several month ago they had packs of 50 for $7.99 at KMart . . buy one get one free . . .I purchased two CASES and have had zero coasters in over 300 burns so far . . Victor
Wow. Wish there was still a Kmart in my area. Thats cheaper than online prices for TY media!

Originally posted by catfreak:
Funny thing is that 2 of my burners, HP740b and Plextor PX712a won't burn them at all Victor
My 716-A likes them fairly well.

Victor[/quote]
bratcher
_
8. March 2007 @ 09:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I wish the first message could be updated!!

Got an Imation CDR in the mail today made by Acer Media Technology whoever they are. Never heard of them as a CD manufacturer.
bratcher
_
8. March 2007 @ 09:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7 identifies the same CDR as Daxon. Strange......
bratcher
_
29. April 2007 @ 19:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here are 2 Maxell CDR's.

First one is a burned gold top color Maxell CDR Music thet turns out to be TY.

Indicative Target Writing Power: 4mW
Unrestricted Use Disc: yes
Disc type: 0 (CD-R / DDCD-R )
Disc sub type: 3 (Normal ReWritable (CLV) Media)
Start Time of Lead-in: M: 97 S: 24 F: 1
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Dye type: Long strategy - e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.
Last Possible Start Time of Lead-out: M: 79 S: 59 F: 73
Capacity: 702 MB (736,968,704 bytes) / 79:59.54 / LBA: 359,848

2nd is a unburned (not recorded yet) disc from a Maxell color pack with 5 different designs.

Indicative Target Writing Power: 4mW
Unrestricted Use Disc: no
Disc type: 0 (CD-R / DDCD-R )
Disc sub type: 2 (Normal ReWritable (CLV) Media)
Start Time of Lead-in: M: 97 S: 15 F: 17
Manufacturer: RiTEK Corporation / Philips / Maxell / Lacie / Tevion
Dye type: Short strategy - e.g. Phthalocyanine
Last Possible Start Time of Lead-out: M: 79 S: 59 F: 70
Capacity: 702 MB (736,962,560 bytes) / 79:59.52 / LBA: 359,845

So Maxell is using TY & Ritek lately....
JoeRyan
_
30. April 2007 @ 05:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Maxell is halting production of DVDs and CD-Rs in Japan and switching to purchasing from Ritek. They will continue with blue laser madia and holographic discs, but the standard optical discs will be made by Ritek in Taiwan.
bratcher
_
1. May 2007 @ 09:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by attar:
The only manufacturer I really trust is Prodisc, but it's hard to figure out which brand is using them.Fujifilm and Maxell are Prodisc (this month anyway).
The rest are a toss-up.
Recent Verbatims are Ritek, also some Dysan that I purchased were Ritek.The Dysan were a bulk pack and did not look very appealing out of the package.They weren't very good, even burning at reduced speed.
Although Memorex get a bad rap in the DVD forum, the CD's I see recently were made by Prodisc.I know people who use them a lot, with no problems.
I use Ritek white printables with no problems.
I had no problems with those Memorex (Prodisc) Cool Colors CDR's. They all worked great!!

In my experience Ritek CDR's work well as does Tayio Yuden manufactured CDR's. You said that Maxell was Prodisc? The ones I found recently were Ritek.

If you find any Made In Japan Fugifilm CDR's thats TY media.

The only minor problem I've found with TY silver /matte inkjet CDR's & the TY Fugifilm CDR's is that fingerprints show up when you touch the label side of the disc. Must be a thin coating or something. Other than that the discs are great. Ritek silver/matte (thankfully) doesn't have this problem.
bratcher
_
6. May 2007 @ 19:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Update on the Maxell Ritek & the Ativa CMC CDR's.

I've never had a problem with Ridata brand Ritek CDR's however a 30 pack of Maxell multi color CDR's my dad gave me in exchange for some silver matte TY's (because some of the Maxell discs have such little usable writing area) turned out to be either a bad batch or poorer quality Ritek than the Ridata I've used before. I can't burn it any faster than 16x without crackling & pausing problems when burned as an audio disc. 16x seems to be the max speed (at least for me) on these 52x speed discs. 28 discs left & I'll burn them at 8x.

Ativa 52x gold top CDR's are even worse junk! 16x gives uneven results. Some discs play fine while others crackle & pause during playback however at 8x they play back perfect. 90 of those left to burn.

When these 118 discs are done I'm going back to my silver matte TY's & staying there!! I can burn TY & some other brands (even Ridata) at 32x (48 to 52x works great too) & every one of them plays back perfectly in my home CD player, the car stereo plus a portable (with headphones) durabrand. I can see why the CMC is so bad but Ritek? No idea....
akaangus
_
13. May 2007 @ 22:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was able to score some Made in Japan Fuji discs from Honest Ed's in Toronto for like $12 for 50, assuming that TY is the best disc. I usually have Verbatims or MIJ Maxells, but thought these would be good too. They burned fine but my Samsung Xbox with XBMC barfed on the video. It also doesn't like the MIJ Maxells which were key to burning PS2 games. Quality of disc doesn't really mean anything when it comes to playing, apparently, as a white label made in CHINA disc that someone borrowed me played fine...
Advertisement
_
__

_
opticalc
_
23. May 2007 @ 21:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by cd-rw.org:
Ok folks, perhaps it's time to summarize. Lets list the brands, identifify who are they generally made by and then give an opinion whether they should be trusted.

The CDR-FORUM.DE database:

Search around this amazing database that features virtually all CD-Rs, with pictures and ATIPs: http://www.cdr-forum.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php

THE SUMMARY OF CD-R BRANDS:

Recommended:

-Manufacturers selling under their own label, or using an exclusive brand name:

Ritek (Ritek)
Taiyo Yuden (T.Y.)
Kodak (Kodak - manufacturing discontinued)
Mitsui (Mitsui)
TraxData (Ritek)
SmartBuy (Prodisc)
Ricoh (almost sure they are always from Ricoh)
Mitsubishi (Mitsubishi)
HiSpace (CDR section of MPO) Gold CDRs (*)

-Brands that so far have maintained high quality of media:

Hewlett-Packard (T.Y., Ricoh, previously also Mitsui)
Arita (Ritek) (can someone verify - always Ritek?)
Prostore (4M, Moser Baer India)
Plextor (T.Y.)
Teac (Mitsui)
Yamaha DiscT@2 (Mitsubishi)

Varying quality:

Mr.Platinum (NAN-YA (bad), Ritek (good)
MMORE (used to be CMC(bad), but now everything is Moser Baer India (quite good))
Verbatim (Mitsubishi, 4M, CMC, T.Y.) (Note that "Azo" on the box means Mitsubishi)
Sony (T.Y., Sony)
TDK (T.Y., Ritek, TDK, CMC)
Memorex (Ritek, CMC)
Fuji (Fuji, T.Y.)

Low quality:

Imation (CMC)
LG (CMC)
HyperMedia (CMC)

(*) HiSpace Carbon are reported to have problems (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59220). HiSpace Gold don't have the problems of the Carbon ones. We have no user reports about HiSpace Metal yet.

THE SUMMARY OF CD-R MANUFACTURERS:

High quality:

The manufacturers you can trust

Kodak (discontinued)
Mitsubishi
Mitsui
MPO
Prodisc
Ricoh
Ritek
Taiyo Yuden

Medium quality:

These manufacturers are slightly lesser quality, or display varying quality, or there isn't sufficient data to mark a manufacturer as 'high quality'

4M Multimedia Masters & Machinery (actually 4M makes CD-R plants, not CD-Rs)
Moser Baer India
TDK (quality varies a lot)
Sony (Good and bad reports)
Fuji (Good and bad reports)

Low quality:

NAN-YA Electronics
CMC Magnetics

Changelog:
15.05.2003: Mr.Platinum also ships Riteks

Moderators - feel free to update this list._

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > the summary of cd-r brands - read before asking!

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork