User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 18:17
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > the summary of cd-r brands - read before asking!
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The summary of CD-R brands - READ BEFORE ASKING!
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. May 2007 @ 22:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
. . . of course that list is over four years old and media quality is constantly changing

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
Advertisement
_
__
opticalc
_
23. May 2007 @ 22:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thank you for the site it helps a little

I think the real high quality disc are those who are selling their disc with a unique package,design,features etc that no other manufacturer doing that but surely with this population no one can maintain that
so one thing to get the real media before buying is to check out the manufacturer website if there are convincing information about that product and for sure buy a copy only before letting go a big money

what else test the cd or dvd and dont buy media that the manufacturer are imitating other products and putting their ID in the same design,package etc they dont have integrity
JoeRyan
_
24. May 2007 @ 10:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
CMC Magnetics does not belong in the poor quality group for CD-R production. Testing on sophisticated equipment shows their quality to be as good as most others as long as the material is A-grade quality (sold to brands such as HP, Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, and Verbatim among others). No-name brands with CMC MID codes or retail brands with prices "too good to be true" are often mixed with B-grade production, which these days is chiefly process flaws (dye filters that failed or dropped debris during switchovers; production whose processors were found out of calibration; handling problems; etc.) The anti-CMC sentiment in this forum should not spill over to CD-Rs.
bratcher
_
15. June 2007 @ 14:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Some newly bought CDR packs I just tested.

Imation: Acer
TDK: Ricoh

Sony CDR Music: Tayio Yuden

We need to keep an updated list!!
bratcher
_
15. June 2007 @ 15:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JoeRyan:
CMC Magnetics does not belong in the poor quality group for CD-R production. Testing on sophisticated equipment shows their quality to be as good as most others as long as the material is A-grade quality (sold to brands such as HP, Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, and Verbatim among others). No-name brands with CMC MID codes or retail brands with prices "too good to be true" are often mixed with B-grade production, which these days is chiefly process flaws (dye filters that failed or dropped debris during switchovers; production whose processors were found out of calibration; handling problems; etc.) The anti-CMC sentiment in this forum should not spill over to CD-Rs.
I'm not saying that CMC CDR's are great quality media however the 100 pack of Ativa (CMC) is burning & playing back well in all of my CD players. The 5 year old CMC Khypermedia CDR's I tested that hold an audiobook are still playing back good too. Perfect playback....
bratcher
_
15. June 2007 @ 16:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Tested some recent sermon CD's from my church on Memorex CDR's.
Add Ritek to the list of Memorex manufacturers.....
Cmetzger
_
6. November 2007 @ 12:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have read this entire thread and I am totally confused. All I am trying to find out is a reliable CD to burn music on. I have used Sony, Memorex, Verbatim, and a few others.
They all burn perfectly, but after a few weeks of use, they begin to skip. Can someone please tell me the BEST CD that I can purchase that will not skip after a few weeks.
Any and all help would be MOST helpful.
Thanks
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. November 2007 @ 15:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Cmetzger:
I have read this entire thread and I am totally confused. All I am trying to find out is a reliable CD to burn music on. I have used Sony, Memorex, Verbatim, and a few others.
They all burn perfectly, but after a few weeks of use, they begin to skip. Can someone please tell me the BEST CD that I can purchase that will not skip after a few weeks.
Any and all help would be MOST helpful.
Thanks
     Sony, Memorex & Verbatim all sell very reliable CD media. Personally, I like Maxell but that is a personal preference. If all of the CDs that you've been burning end up skipping I'd look elsewhere for the problem. What speed are you burning them at? I always burn my CDs as slow as my burner will allow (usually from 8x-16x) depending on which burner I'm using.
     You also need to make sure that your firmware up to date. This is crucial in producing the "perfect" burn. I have also found that my BenQ burners, while doing an awesome job with DVDs, simply don't produce results as good as my Pioneer and Litey when burning CDs . . .

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
_
12. November 2007 @ 09:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi there!
Just ordered 4 cakeboxes(200cds)
of verbatim 52X and they are made in Japan.I assume they are Taiyo Yuden manufactured,right?How are they rated?I paid them around USD9.35/cakebox after conversion.

bratcher
_
12. November 2007 @ 19:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TY4ever:
Hi there!
Just ordered 4 cakeboxes(200cds)
of verbatim 52X and they are made in Japan.I assume they are Taiyo Yuden manufactured,right?How are they rated?I paid them around USD9.35/cakebox after conversion.
Where did you order them from? Verbatim CDR's here in the USA is not MIJ but rather made by CMC and they play back fine as audiodiscs, I've never used one for data. Some Fugifilm CDR's are made by TY if you can find them in the stores. I found 4 hundred packs in a Randalss grocery store once that were TY's & MIJ.

I've been burning Imation lately (made by Daxon) & where they are gone then I'll burn some Ritek & Prodisc manufactured Maxell that I bought at Office Depot for $6.99 per 50 pack.
_
12. November 2007 @ 23:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok,today i've received the verbs i ordered and they are indeed from Japan,to be more exact,it's verbatim cd-r extra protection surface.I ordered them from Shanghai,where i am actually,got an online seller(some kind of local ebay called taobao).I'm aware that lots of stuffs are fakes here but if you look well you can get some pretty good deals on genuine stuffs too,like the time i found a shop which was the only place to have verbatim DVD+R 8X from Japan(Taiyo Yuden-genuine with the right inner hub coding)and i got myself 15 packs of 50,which i did well because now it's nowhere to be found.

Here's a link to that online seller,i myself can't understand chinese but i got it translated by google translate and also i have my wife who helps me in the ordering process like asking informations to the seller before buying.

Vincent.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. November 2007 @ 23:40

bratcher
_
13. November 2007 @ 09:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TY4ever:
Ok,today i've received the verbs i ordered and they are indeed from Japan,to be more exact,it's verbatim cd-r extra protection surface.I ordered them from Shanghai,where i am actually,got an online seller(some kind of local ebay called taobao).I'm aware that lots of stuffs are fakes here but if you look well you can get some pretty good deals on genuine stuffs too,like the time i found a shop which was the only place to have verbatim DVD+R 8X from Japan(Taiyo Yuden-genuine with the right inner hub coding)and i got myself 15 packs of 50,which i did well because now it's nowhere to be found.
Vincent.
I don't see Verb CDR extra protection surface discs on either Meritline or Supermediastore nor do I see them in a few local stores I checked. Must be for another part of the world. And as to the Verb MIJ DVD media I'd say you were really blessed to find it!!
_
13. November 2007 @ 09:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Must be for another part of the world
Yeah,i think so too mostly when it concerns Verbatim made by Taiyo Yuden.Because from some other posts here in AD it has been mentioned that UK does get the TY Verb DVDs time to time and not the US.And also i've read it here that the TY Verb cdr extra protection surface does exist in some parts of Europe too.So sad that it's not available worlwide because i know there are some good folks always looking for top notch medias.

But hey,if you intend to drop in Shanghai one day,do let me know,if i'm still around i can order some for you online or show you some good places where you can get very good medias:)

Vincent.

varnull
Suspended permanently
_
18. November 2007 @ 21:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey.. Doc TY

I have been getting really good lasting results from Gigatain cd-r

They even read in my old dodgy samsung xbox drives.. made in India, but hell.. we can't all afford top notch media.
_
19. November 2007 @ 04:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Hey.. Doc TY
Hmmm?I think you have mistaken me for DocTY,but i do know him and his knowledge is really much higher than mine when it concerns medias,burners and a lot of stuffs i guess,i've learned so much from him.But if you say that you're having luck with a particular media which plays flawlessly on your dodgy drive,then i guess you can stick with that brand.There's noone here saying that we MUST use any particular media,we just advise what's the best but it's the user who's the only one to decide what to use:)

Have a nice day!

Vincent.

dr_ml422
_
22. November 2007 @ 21:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi fellas, checked out the posts in this forum. it's true there are varying results w/media. could be anything suggested here from burners and compatability to maybe even the pc's or dos.

that being said, there's a sale on sony cd-r's starting sunday at staples. 100 pk. $15.99. but newegg has ritek on sale for the same, lil more or less. free shipping.

i've had no problems w/sony dvd-r's but never used their cd's. they seem to have mixed results here. again could b many factors.

from some of your experiences would the ritek b a better buy, especially for the same price?

i've used only hp for cd's so far. mostly into video. the hp's have been good.

i get the best bang 4 the buck though. so these sony and ritek got my attention.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. November 2007 @ 22:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I personally like the Sony CD-Rs better than the Ritek. I think you would be fine with them

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
dr_ml422
_
22. November 2007 @ 22:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thnx zo. i figured since i've used their dvd-r's how bad can their cd's be. doesn't always have to follow that way. but it's sony.

i've had no problems w/maxell dvd-r's 16x either. i would take a chance 1 day on their cd's. pro-disc seems to throw out both.

is ritek a good catch these days nyway? was posted here as 1 of the recommended manufacturers. just curious.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. November 2007 @ 23:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
dr_ml422
_
22. November 2007 @ 23:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
this site reputable like newegg? are the ones shown here more or less same good quality? have, shiny, inkjet, etc...

i'm leaning towards the sony nyway. don't mind trying new media so i could have more selection.

just like the ripping proggies.
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. November 2007 @ 00:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yes newegg.com is a great place to buy anything PC related. my first choice is supermedistore.com then meritline.com and newegg

dr_ml422
_
23. November 2007 @ 00:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
good enough 4 me. my luxury problem at this point is whether to walk over to staples n snatch the sony. or order from newgg and snatch those ritek.
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. November 2007 @ 00:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm sure you will be happy with either brand

you could have the Sony NOW though compare to having to wait for the Ritek

bratcher
_
23. November 2007 @ 00:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ZoSoIV:
I personally like the Sony CD-Rs better than the Ritek. I think you would be fine with them
Yes I've used Sony CDR's & they are very good.
Advertisement
_
__

_
dr_ml422
_
23. November 2007 @ 08:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thnx fellas. they're gonna cost about the same also. staples'll will have them sunday on sale. newegg right now. i'll probably give my cc a break.

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > the summary of cd-r brands - read before asking!

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork