User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 01:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > ask your vista questions here.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Ask Your Vista Questions Here.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
toyotaman
Suspended permanently
_
12. March 2006 @ 07:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

[/url][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9744/toyotacopy7iv.gif [/img]
Advertisement
_
__
5c4ry_0p
_
12. March 2006 @ 08:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i think vista sucks MAJOR ASS. here r my reasons

1)vista a friggin memory hogger
2)most of the software for xp wont work on vista
3)ders alot of security holes(my friend found like 5)
4)demands a godlike pc
5)if ur pc is 2-3 years old...4get bout vista

basically wat im trying to say is...

DONT GET VISTA!IT SUKS!GET A MAC INSTEAD OF VISTA!seriously...

//PROUD OWNER OF A XBOX 360 PREMIUM PACKAGE:)\\
Currently waiting for Halo 3
toyotaman
Suspended permanently
_
12. March 2006 @ 08:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
quote >>.)most of the software for xp wont work on vista ?????
3)ders alot of security holes(my friend found like 5) ???????

please give me more detail on these 2

[/url][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9744/toyotacopy7iv.gif [/img]
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. March 2006 @ 05:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Samsung sees opportunity in Vista upgrades

Samsung Electronics sees a $370 million market springing up later this year for computer owners who want to upgrade to Vista, Microsoft's highly anticipated operating system, but do not want to buy a new PC, a Samsung executive said on Wednesday.

Some 37 million personal computers have been sold in the United States over the last three years with a processor that is powerful enough to run Microsoft's Vista, according to Don Barnetson, an associate director of Samsung's semiconductor division.

"About 10 percent of that 37 million represents potential upgrade candidates. They will buy, on average, about $100 worth of hardware, so that is (an opportunity of) about $370 million worth of upgrade components in the U.S.," Barnetson said.

To be upgraded, the machines need only to have certain hardware components improved, such as video and flash memory, which Samsung expects to sell in a bundle at retail.

"For $250, you can take your home PC and upgrade it to Vista" with Samsung's package, he said. "Or you can buy a new one for $1,000."

The business opportunity afforded by that low-cost upgrade option could expand as Vista is unveiled globally, he said, adding that while Microsoft would be involved in the marketing of the system, Samsung would be partnering primarily with retailers.
The vast majority of the world's personal computers run Windows operating-system software, and previous upgrades typically sparked a wave of PC upgrades, since older machines struggled to supply the power needed to run the software.

But overall adoption of Windows XP, the last major upgrade, introduced in 2001, was slow, Barnetson said.

A low-cost upgrade option could strike a sour note for PC makers like Dell and Hewlett-Packard, which would benefit from a rush to buy new PCs.

"We are not suggesting 'don't buy a PC,'" Barnetson said. "The PC upgrade cycle will continue. But don't delay the adoption of an operating system until you get a new PC."
http://news.com.com/Samsung+sees+opportunity+in+Vista+upgrades/21...
aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
18. March 2006 @ 23:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so it looks like alot of us are in for a reformat yay lol
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. March 2006 @ 12:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I dont care abotu security well i do but its almost last on my list

1.Compatiality
2.Stablity
3.Recoverabilty
4.Speed
5.Security

(this is why I run XP SP1)

LOL
I woud think they would have learned from 9X to XP that makehtign the dam new OS compable with the last OS >>

darnit where my google tool bar go..I needs spell checkings!!!

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. March 2006 @ 02:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A LONG READ,An inside look at Windows Vista

Set to ship at the end of the year, Windows Vista will be Microsoft's first major operating system release since it introduced Windows XP in 2001.

The new OS is designed to offer a shiny new user interface, better security, improved data organization and near-instantaneous search. It will be a major gaming platform release because it includes DirectX 10, an upgraded and rebuilt collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) that, according to Microsoft, will offer six to eight times the graphics performance of DirectX 9.0. We're opening our series of Windows Vista features with a look at the most striking feature of Vista, the 3D desktop and the new Aero interface.

Look and feel
http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/319423
_
23. March 2006 @ 15:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
regor
_
30. March 2006 @ 19:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
a couple of points...

keep in mind that the latest beta (does) and probably RC1 will have debug enabled that has a serious impact on performance. The release (possibly RC2) will afford better overall performance.

the other comment is that it does run on Virtual PC as well as Vmware. I know I'm running them.

to Irelan's comment on swallowing 800mb of ram... huh? exactly how are my VM machines functioning????

regor

Yuk Yuk... If only I was half cow...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. March 2006 @ 19:32

AfterDawn Addict
_
3. April 2006 @ 12:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The meaning of "Vista Capable": good, not great

4/3/2006 12:48:06 PM, by Ken Fisher

The delay of Windows Vista means that computers sold this holiday season will predominantly be running Windows XP. Microsoft hopes that Vista won't be far from the minds of new computer buyers, however, as they are pushing a new "stickering" campaign aimed at informing customers that most of these machines are capable of handling Vista. The basics of the announcement were covered last week by Matt on M-Dollar, so I won't repeat them here. Instead, I'd like to address a couple of concerns with the program, and highlight some little known facts about the new OS.

To begin, a note about what this move isn't about. OEMs started using the stickers before the Windows Vista delay was announced, and it would be wrong to look at this as a last ditch-effort to promote the OS in the holiday timeframe. Microsoft is looking for two things from this program: free advertising on new XP machines sold before Vista ships, and continued free advertising on "bargain-oriented" PCs that will ship after the Vista launch, sans Vista. The latter is more important than you might think. Vista's full-blown hardware "requirements," while still not official, will be greater than what you'll find on many of the $299 PCs out there today. With the Vista Capable program, Microsoft hopes to encourage the bargain builders to keep an eye on meeting the most minimum of specifications, making bargain PCs "future proof" and, more importantly, targets for eventual upgrade.

Flip3D in action

Hence, it's no coincidence that Vista Capable means something less than "Vista ideal." To get the Vista Capable sticker, a computer needs only to be able to sufficiently run Windows Vista's core features, not everything that the OS can do in all versions. In practical terms, this means that Vista Capable embraces systems lacking all of the graphical horsepower to run the Aero Glass interface. For some, this is a confusing set of affairs. I think it's confusing, in part, because Microsoft has touted a new user interface that is not actually present in all versions of its new OS.

Windows Vista Home Basic?the entry level OS in the Vista family?only supports a user interfaced that Microsoft calls the Windows Vista Basic GUI (graphical user interface). The GUI is similar in functionality to that found in Windows XP, except that it sports the new Windows Vista look and feel. It's also similar in that it will lack the 3D features found in Vista's more advanced Aero user interface, including Flip3D, live taskbar thumbnails, and translucency effects.

Flip3D, pictured right, is the next-gen "alt+tab" replacement, and it functions like a virtual rolodex. Collecting your windows into a bundle, you can flip through them with your keyboard, or better yet, your mousewheel. But as flashy as it sounds, it's not being billed as "standard fare" for the OS. The end result is that Vista is ultimately shipping with two user interfaces, although the two are closely related and appear to diverge primarily in their support for accelerated 3D effects. (Indeed, while official Microsoft documents speak of them as interfaces, they are perhaps best understood as "themes.")

The takeaway point is this: with Windows Vista Home Basic, Microsoft has created a very low bar to Vista capability requirements. We should not confuse "capable" with "ready to rock," however, as the capability designation is aimed only at this rather low entry point. Whether or not this will encourage OEMs to adopt DirectX 9 video and 512MB of system RAM as "standard" remains to be seen, but this appears to be Microsoft's intention. Meanwhile, Dell will continue to bewail such sticky situations.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060403-6511.html
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
3. April 2006 @ 16:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ireland
forgive if my brain "doth not compute" well but I will ask anyway

So unlike XP witch ran on lower PCs than its minuim but MS wanted to push newer part sales so they locked it at a minuim that forced most to upgrade VISTA is going to let things slide so they can push the OS even if vista minuims are ummm...to low?

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.
_
22. April 2006 @ 20:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What is beta? Is that mean i can try out the vista? Is it free? Just out of question, which os was the best selling for microsoft, windows 98?
aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
22. April 2006 @ 21:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you have to be a beta tester to try it for free

Windows XP is/was the best selling
_
23. April 2006 @ 07:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
how do you sign up for beta?
aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
23. April 2006 @ 09:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ireland would know ,he does it all the time with lots of programs
AfterDawn Addict
_
23. April 2006 @ 09:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
this is one puppy i will not touch for this reason,

Windows Vista includes copy protection
vista1The upcoming Vista version of the Windows operating system will not allow illegal copies of music and film. The Windows XP successor will include extensive copy protection mechanisms, according to the Munich-based magazine Windows Professionell.

This includes "Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management" (PVP-OPM), intended to prevent copies from being stored on the hard drive or the contents of the RAM from being read out. PVP-OPM also monitors how content is used by controlling monitor outputs like TV ports. The "Protected User Mode Audio" (PUMA) will also prevent the illegal copying of music. Microsoft declined to comment for this article. (dpa) Financial Mirror

http://www.financialmirror.com/more_news.php?id=2579

Top 10 Most Shocking Windows Vista ?Facts?

Below are the top 10 most shocking *cough* facts *cough* that have been announced by Microsoft for their upcoming Windows Vista operating system.

1. Running Windows Vista will require at least 1 gig of RAM and at least a Radeon 9800 Pro or GeForce 5900 Ultra video card.
2. There will be 47 versions of Windows Vista, including versions designed for gamers, students, bloggers, programmers, and vegetarians.
3. There will be a few free versions of the operating system but these versions will display ads.
4. Users will not be able to use Vista unless connected to the internet. Microsoft says this is for security, anti-piracy, streaming real-time content, and serving ads.
5. Solitaire will not be included in any versions of the software. This is supposedly meant to increase productivity in the workplace.
6. As reported earlier, Firefox will be pre-installed.
7. Google.com will be the default starting page for both Firefox and IE.
8. Xbox Live content will be able to be downloaded onto computers running Vista, including full, playable versions of XBox 360 games.
9. The new Media Center will not only connect with the Xbox 360, but also with Playstation?s PS3 and Nintendo?s Revolution.
10. Windows Vista will be safe and secure as it won?t be able to be hacked, exploited, or misused.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2006 @ 09:37

AfterDawn Addict
_
23. April 2006 @ 09:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
MICROSOFT LOVE'S YOU,NOT

New content protection on the horizon with Microsoft Vista
Posted by Dan Bell on 30 August 2005 - 18:54 - Source: ZDNet

ZDNet has put up an article that says Microsoft is going to prove that the PC is a very safe platform for copyrighted content. All it's going to take is for everyone and their brother to purchase their latest and greatest effort "Vista" when it hits the shelves in a couple years. The story goes into a little detail of how the new operating system could differ from XP. I say "could" because the OS is in beta stages now and anything can change. They may want to soothe content providers, that's for sure, but we all know who butters Redmonds bread- the consumer. So if you make too strict a platform you will lose to other OS'es. This is a double whammy for MS as the other cash cow they have is MS Office and they darn sure don't want people getting used to Linux and Open Office.

How does this work?
One of the biggest changes in Vista is a technology called "Protected Video Path." This will essentially keep video streams encrypted and inaccessible as video is being sent from a DVD (or other copy-protected source) to the monitor, TV or other display. The operating system will also check what the computer is connected to (a monitor, a TV, and so on), do another check to make sure the device really is what it says it is, and then see what kind of plug, or output mechanism, is being used to connect the computer to the device.

Vista will go much further than previous operating systems in checking devices that are several steps downstream, if several digital components are connected to each other. If it finds that there is a device that doesn't respect DRM rules, or if it finds a plug that doesn't support transmission of those copy-protection rules, it might not let the video be sent through that output at all.

Boy, that sounds lovely! I can't wait to pull out my wallet for such an awesome protection for the entertainment industry! Goodness knows they can't fend for themselves with only billions in profits each quarter to pay for their flamboyant lifestyles. It's up to us to fund such endeavors against piracy by purchasing a new operating system. I can see folks calling tech support due to a piece of hardware that discontinues to work, only to find out it's not the hardware, but rather a "feature" of their spanking new OS!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12328

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2006 @ 09:26

AfterDawn Addict
_
23. April 2006 @ 09:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

How Vista Disappoints
Posted by Zonk on Thursday April 20, @03:37PM
from the overdramatic-much dept.
Microsoft Windows
MCSEBear writes "Writer Paul Thurrott has given Microsoft a verbal dressing down for what has become of Windows Vista. He details Microsoft's broken promises over the years since Longhorn/Vista was first previewed back in 2003. He demonstrates where current Vista builds fail to live up to Microsoft's current hype of the much reduced feature set. From the article: 'I don't hate Windows Vista, and I certainly don't hate Microsoft for disappointing me and countless other customers with a product that doesn't even come close to meeting its original promises. I'm sure the company learned something from this debacle, and hopefully it will be more open and honest about what it can and cannot do in the future ... It some ways, Windows Vista actually will exceed Mac OS X and Linux, but not to the depth we were promised. Instead, Windows Vista will do what so many other Windows releases have done, and simply offer consumers and business users a few major changes and many subtle or minor updates. That's not horrible. It's just not what was promised.'"

READ IT ALL HERE
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp

Buy a Windows Vista PC Today
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_buypc.asp

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2006 @ 09:33

aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
23. April 2006 @ 19:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
looks like i will NOT be getting Vista OS anytime soon NO WAY!!!!!
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. April 2006 @ 08:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Why I Am Indifferent About Vista
Written by Thom Holwerda on 2006-04-23 17:40:49 UTC
Vista is all the rage at the moment (and now even the Sunday Eve Column is about it). I don't think there's a single piece of beta software that has ever been discussed as much as Windows Vista. Obviously this makes sense, since Windows powers roughly 95% of the world's desktop computers; hence an update to that system will surely spark some heavy debates. Personally, I'm indifferent towards Vista. Read on for why.

There are enough new things coming in Windows Vista. The most obvious thing is of course the new interface, known as Aero Glass. It all looks very flashy, and contrary to a lot of FUD being slung around, the new interface is by far not as heavy on the computer's resources as it might seem-- instead of repeating other people's words, I rely on my own experiences before I make any judgements. Whether I tested Vista on my new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, or on my aging desktop Athlon box, Aero Glass barely slowed the system down. Memory usage was comparable to ordinary XP's as well. The same applies for the new Sidebar; a place where you can drop tiny little programs known as Gadgets (similar to Dashboard, which is in turn a direct copy of Konfabulator, which in turn lends its basic idea from Apple's own Desk Accessories, which were in fact not tiny programs, but device drivers to give the old Mac OS the illusion of multitasking) (now ain't that a lot of information in one sentence). The Sidebar process eats up roughly 22-30MB of memory when using 4 gadgets (or widgets or whatever).

However, there are more new things in the user interface. The new shell, for instance, will have all sorts of tiny little additions. One of those is Shadow Folders, which allows any folder to be reverted into a state it was in at any time in the past. And, of course, you can use Vista's system wide search to organize files and folders (much like Apple's Spotlight, but from what I've seen of it, a lot more versatile. My guess is that Leopard will bring features to Spotlight/Finder to bring the Mac OS up to par with vista's system wide search).

GO HERE TO READ IT ALL
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14412
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. April 2006 @ 15:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I wonder how long it will take them to brak the copy protection for music and vidoes? it didnt take them long to break XPs own copy protction.

aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
24. April 2006 @ 23:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
looks like longterm we may ALL need to learn how to run and operate a "Linux" OS!!!! if we want to backup our dvds/music etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_operating_system

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. April 2006 @ 23:15

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
25. April 2006 @ 11:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
aabbccdd
..ouch...sticking I will to XP I am *L*

AfterDawn Addict
_
25. April 2006 @ 14:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As will I. XP as long as it can back up my DVDs.
Advertisement
_
__

_
aabbccdd
Suspended permanently
_
25. April 2006 @ 22:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
only thing sooner or later they will update XP so we cant use software to backup our dvds ,i bet it happens reverting back to SP1 XP is probably a good idea . or windows 2000

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. April 2006 @ 22:49

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > ask your vista questions here.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork