User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 00:29
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > ask your vista questions here.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Ask Your Vista Questions Here.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. April 2006 @ 03:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As of last week I turned automatic updates off. I will install them only after a month or two of being tested by others.
Advertisement
_
__
regor
_
16. October 2006 @ 18:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hmmmm... no recent comments on Vista. Everyone elated?

Any opinion on RC2? Seems like RTM may in fact make the November schedule with RC2 actually making it in October.

Any comment on driver readiness from the big players --Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenova, etc. etc.??

Does you car have 4-wheel-drive? I just threw that in for good measure :)

regor

Yuk Yuk... If only I was half cow...
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. October 2006 @ 18:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For people that are using the BETA and RC candidates Have they locked down the video playing ability of windows like some fear?

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.
_
16. October 2006 @ 22:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Vista schmsta. Linux all the way (even 64-bit); who needs an OS that's so locked down and so anti-consumer, that's not progress that's medieval

Oh and more bloated ie needing faster more expensive machines. pah, i'll stick with my existing PC's thanks

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. October 2006 @ 03:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm with you creaky. Mine's working fine!

regor
_
21. October 2006 @ 20:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have my hands on RC2 and it looks pretty solid. Found new drivers for my hardware anyway, that was a treat.

regor

Yuk Yuk... If only I was half cow...
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. October 2006 @ 22:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
regor
Have they locked video and audio down yet?

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.
The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
21. October 2006 @ 22:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
DRM won't be implied in the beta clients so people aren't too turned off by vista's need for a powerfull system *marketing techniques, bleh. microsoft maggots*.
They do that so they can catch unsuspecting consumers "with their pants down" so to speak and force that DRM sh*te on them.
I'm not touching vista in any way shape or form untill someone cracks the DRM and Kernell lockouts.
And i say that any self respecting computer fanatic that uses a vista beta just because of the slick looks should trade in their computer for a teething ring and some brain stimulating drugs and vitamins.

irc://arcor.de.eu.dal.net/wasted_hate

Wanna tell me off, go ahead.
I dare ya !
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. October 2006 @ 22:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The_Fiend
aaww I miss...the old sig..I miss foamy :P

I thought the DRM was not turned on yet...MS is not that stupid they know better they have to show people vista wil be a ok OS before you buy then to find out its a POS after you buy it,I hope staples and best buy take note alot of people are going to be returning that POS.

Aculty you will have to wait until the first version of vista is no longer updated you forget MS cracks cracks now ^^

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. October 2006 @ 22:58

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
21. October 2006 @ 23:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually, once the first cracks are made, i can probably make workarounds for new M$ patches by downloading the patch manually *without installing* and decompiling it, analyzing the fix, and making a simple workaround. Then i'd install the patch, and laugh my b@lls off.
Easy peasy.

I dare ya !
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. October 2006 @ 23:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
lucky you I have not had much luck getting rid of WGA so I am stuck with SP1

ddp
_
22. October 2006 @ 08:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
zippy, pm sent
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. October 2006 @ 11:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
From helping family members with tiher SP2 computers WGA is only 40% of the problem Driver and compatibly issues are the other 60% 0-o

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. October 2006 @ 14:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Vista won't see the light of day on my computers. Windows XP may give some folks problems, but it has always been rock solid for me since day one.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce - Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Computer: Intel Core i7-920 Nehalim;Asus P6T Deluxe V2
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. October 2006 @ 14:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
GrandpaBW
XP is alright but hates some programs and hardware its like lunix is nowadays but runs more stuff *L*

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
22. October 2006 @ 21:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Zippy, i take it you do realise that if you dare to compare Linux to windows XP again, i will be forced to torture you to death, right ?

I dare ya !
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. October 2006 @ 21:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The_Fiend
Yes dear I know lunix is better but thats not the point,XP has better software/hardware support,Lunix has everything else,Mac is almost the same but Lunix runs on more hardware than mac thus I never talk about mac.

Have I confused you yet?
:P

AfterDawn Addict
_
23. October 2006 @ 06:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
only mac i will ever use is a big mac

_
23. October 2006 @ 08:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
lol. me too. I never tried linux so i can't judge.
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. October 2006 @ 14:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Vista Home Basic: of lemons and lemonade

10/28/2006 4:03:45 PM, by Ken Fisher

Back in 1998 there was one consumer Windows OS release tier, just like in 1995. Come 2001, there were two: Home and Professional. In 2007, there will be four: Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, and Business (I've left out Enterprise since it is a volume licensing product). Of the four editions, Home Basic is decidedly feature light. It will lack the bells and whistles of the fancier consumer tiers, which means no Media Center functionality and no Aero Glass, among other things.

Is it a fundamentally flawed product? Acer is talking openly about what many OEMs are privately expressing frustration over: the weak value proposition offered by Windows Vista Home Basic. The many-headed hydra that is Vista has at least one gimp head, according to complaints.

If you ask Jim Wong, senior corporate VP at Acer, Microsoft has crippled Home Basic so thoroughly that it is essentially just an excuse to wring more money out of OEMs. Wong told PC Pro that "Premium is the real Vista," drilling home his view that Home Basic is a lemon that consumers will shun entirely. The real problem, Wong says, is that "[OEMs] have to pay more [for Home Premium] but users are not going to pay more." This, he says, will result in a 1-2 percent increase in the cost of manufacturing a new PC, and Wong insists that the OEMs will have to eat that cost rather than pass it on to consumers. He did not elaborate why this cost cannot be passed on to consumers.
Demanding Home Premium?

When Vista's pricing was announced, many commentators picked up on the parity in pricing between XP Home and Home Basic. Microsoft hadn't raised prices, it seemed. Yet if Home Basic is not a feasible product, then that is no longer true in some sense.

Wong's views on the weaknesses of Home Basic beg the question: will "consumers" really shun Home Basic? He clearly assumes that they will, but it's hard to have that discussion without noting that more than 90 percent of all Windows sales stem from new PC purchases, and consumers tend to purchase whatever is offered. This is no more clear than in the case of Windows XP Media Center, which is now found on scores of PCs and laptops, with their owners having no idea what Media Center is or what they can do with it. How does this happen?

Consider Dell. The OEM currently offers XP Home and XP Media Center Edition as base options on many of their consumer and home office systems. They're the same price: $0. An upgrade to XP Professional will cost $99, however. This is one of the ways in which Microsoft has been able to dramatically boost Media Center sales, and many OEMs have taken advantage of the situation to market laptops in particular as great entertainment solutions.

The takeaway here is this: there's no evidence that consumers en masse will reject Home Basic. For every guy looking down a a feature list there's a handful of people who don't. This leaves the ball in the OEMs' court.
The role of Anytime Upgrade

Thus to the accusation that Home Basic is a ploy to force OEMs into using Home Premium, we have serious doubts about that, too. First, Microsoft could have simply nixed Home Basic altogether, and raised prices regardless. There's another reason why we think Microsoft takes Home Basic seriously: Anytime Upgrade.

In Microsoft's eyes, a Home Basic sale is an upsell opportunity. If Joe Consumer decides that Aero Glass is the spice of life, the company will sell him an upgrade for a nominal amount. Microsoft has not yet released pricing on Anytime Upgrade, but we fully expect it to be based on the difference between retail versions. With the retail price difference between Home Basic and Home Premium (full versions) coming in at $40, we expect Anytime Upgrade to price an on-the-fly move between Home Basic and Premium somewhere south of that number (but not much, lest the company accidentally create a way to get cheaper upgrades).

The end result is that Microsoft has the best of both words. If OEMs shun Home Basic, Microsoft sees a 10 percent revenue boost on OEM Home Premium sales, but if OEMs keep Home Basic in the lineup, those users may generate significantly more revenue when they drop $30-$40 on an Anytime Upgrade that has no middleman.
Seeing the future

The big unknown here is how Joe Consumer will really react to Home Basic. In expert and enthusiast circles, Home Basic is indeed shunned, but there's big difference between these groups and your average Dell or Gateway customer. Media Center functionality is most certainly not a "must have" feature for an operating system. Then there's Aero Glass. Home Basic lacks the transparencies and other 3D-accelerated Windows Effects of Aero Glass, but otherwise the standard interface looks quite similar. 99.9 percent of all Windows users live without transparency in their User Interface today. When Vista ships are we really to imagine that consumers overnight will shun anything less than a full Aero Glass experience?

OEMs like Acer appear ready to make that decision for their customers, and some would say that they have to, since the company's system-building business focuses on retail PC sales, not the build-to-order (BTO) market. Acer has to worry about how their product looks next to an eMachine at the local Best Buy, which is most likely why Wong feels such pressure to ignore Home Basic altogether.

Will larger BTO OEMs also follow suit? I think the answer to that question is not to be found in consumer preferences, but rather in the OEMs' assessment of Anytime Upgrade's potential to cut into their own BTO upsell efforts. That's a topic for a different (torrentially) rainy day.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061028-8097.html
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
28. October 2006 @ 15:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can gleam what they are tryign to do,force OEMs to use a non media playing version of vista so they can try and limit the music and video playing across the board on new releases of PCs,vista ultra basic is like XP home minus a few thigns,to keep pesky vid and music downlanders at bay...least until someone fixs it..

On the other hand tho tis simple streamlined vista minus all the bells and whistles people like us dislike media palyer..oh wait they cant be that good....its the media center thigny not media palyer..hell....I was hoping for vista lite....never mind ><

cyntek
_
15. November 2006 @ 16:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well i just got vista up and running so far it has been smooth sailing. I have had no trouble other than retrieving all my sofware compatilibity issues that i have not have. The Version of VISTA is RTM Build 6000 i believe, if im wrong please correct me. However, I was amazed by how fast the installation went. It Was WAY FAST than XP pro it seemed that it took less than an hour to install this amazing OS Comapared to WINXP clean installation and reformatting process. Any how, as for web searching and browsing i have installed Firefox 2.0 it is great. I have had no problems with the add-ons and extensions and themes. My ATI 9600SE is also Great as well. My sounds by Creative Audigy se is superior. It seems that overall i give window vista 10.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. November 2006 @ 16:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by cyntek:
Well i just got vista up and running so far it has been smooth sailing. I have had no trouble other than retrieving all my sofware compatilibity issues that i have not have. The Version of VISTA is RTM Build 6000 i believe, if im wrong please correct me. However, I was amazed by how fast the installation went. It Was WAY FAST than XP pro it seemed that it took less than an hour to install this amazing OS Comapared to WINXP clean installation and reformatting process. Any how, as for web searching and browsing i have installed Firefox 2.0 it is great. I have had no problems with the add-ons and extensions and themes. My ATI 9600SE is also Great as well. My sounds by Creative Audigy se is superior. It seems that overall i give window vista 10.
SO hows video and audio playing?

cyntek
_
15. November 2006 @ 19:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Originally posted by cyntek:
SO hows video and audio playing?
Well my creative sound is not all up to par at the moment since it's still in beta release for Vista. I'm using the Creative Audigy version 6.0.1.1220,and Video is excellent since im using the Catalyst driver version 8.31.100.0. I tried playing a converted Superman Returns ext. .vod file in nero's 7.50.70. will not play i keep getting this error in Nero showtime : cannot play this media file. The file is either corrupt or the application does not support the format you are trying to play. however, i am able to watch it in a .avi extension in Windows Media Player 11 which is very good thus far without any hiccups. Also, I have Hp Photosmart2610xi all in one printer and I have talked to hp if they have a compatible software for my device and they said than the all in one has a built in software that would be compatible to Windows Vista. And surely enough they were right. I was able to print my documents and stuff. But, they are working on a compatible software for the hp photosmart2610xi. I even ran Azures 2.5 Win32 on Vista and it work A-okay with out any hiccups as well.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. November 2006 @ 20:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cyntek
when they do release it Audio and video will be dead since they will lock down the streams.

I would not be surprised if they started to black list programs altho...the mafaa has not enslaved MS just yet

I am just staying away form vista right now..

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - general discussion > ask your vista questions here.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork