User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 15:34
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 encoding (avi to dvd) > convert avi, xvid, divx to dvd
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD
  Jump to:

Posted Message
kiamaian
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
16. March 2004 @ 02:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have spent days trying to convert a movie in AVI format to SVCD using TMPGEnc Plus.

I finished with two mpeg files but when I try to burn them to disc with Nero 6 using the SVCD format Nero doesn't see my newly created files.

Nero has been set to find files of type 'All Nero compilations and images' but if I change the setting to 'All Files' my images then appear. When I select the image I get the popup message 'Unexpected file format.'

I would appreciate if someone could suggest where I may have gone wrong in the conversion process.

In life, you reap what you sow.
Advertisement
_
__
dustybin
_
16. March 2004 @ 02:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Try using stomp record max, i use it often and had no probs.
sankeerth
_
26. March 2004 @ 16:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey.. i need help guyz.. i am runin divx 2.5 on a windows me platform... and some of movies refuse to open.. i get an error message sayin..illegal AVI or MPEG-4 format.. what could be the problem.. please direct me to any links from where i can download the required file
thanx
ice3
_
27. March 2004 @ 11:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi, im trying to convert an AVI to dvd using tmpg, the video source file is 560x240. when ever i encode it, it is mashed and everything on the screen is made thin. how can i fix this?
thanx
maxim2
Suspended permanently
_
18. April 2004 @ 13:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey everyone,
I'm pretty new at this pirating stuff, basically I have a ps2, some empty 700MB cds, and a computer. What I was wondering was is there a chance I can download some divX movies from kazza, change the format or something, and be able to play the movie on my ps2 when i burn it. I have no modchip or no programs such as ps2 reality player or Nero. If anybody has any good tips they're greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Max Power
Praetor
_
18. April 2004 @ 20:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
maxim2: No multiposting. I already answered your question.

To All Applicable People:
READ THE BLOODY TITLE FOR THIS THREAD!!!!
Reply to thread: Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD
There shouldnt be any SVCD, VCD or AVI playback discussion going on here!

:-)

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
nickle916
_
20. April 2004 @ 19:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Please help
I have a movie in divx
I used tmpg author the file to 2 seperate files one video one audio
I then tried to put it on dvd but there was no sound.
I found that when i use IFOEdit to make my VOB files that it wont read the audio which is in mp2 fomat
Please help I need sound in my VOB files
rob6021
Account closed as per user's own request
_
21. May 2004 @ 17:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi I tried changing paycheck from xvid to DVD, I got it to work ok, only the movie skips somewhat frequently (sound doesn't seem to skip though - and is perfectly in sync), I know it's not the dvd-rw media i'm using because I played it off hd using powerdvd and it's the same. What could i be doing wrong I followed the guide exactly. Btw the movie uses AC3 DVM sound if this helps. Thx for the help in advance.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. May 2004 @ 17:55

newbiee
_
22. May 2004 @ 06:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi i have a AVI movie that has xvid compression and when i convert it to dvd it wont fit on 4.7gb and for some reason when i take that AVI file and encode it to divx5.1 the output video is slower and the audio does not match any ideas ? why does the output file get slower
plur
_
23. May 2004 @ 20:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello averybody ;]

Well im a newbi and i dont even know if im onthe right forum but i read your guide of how to AVI to dvd i follow it step by step, i printed out and everything.
But at the end when i burned the movie to Nero 6 i think so, there was no video, only sound, so i tryed again followed your guide and the same happens so i dont really know what is it that im doing wrong.

So if any of you guys can help i'll aprecciated.

Thanks

this is the only way i can learn
shiroh
_
24. May 2004 @ 10:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
PFC-Kluge
_
24. May 2004 @ 21:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have the same problem as A-LOLO. I can watch all the videos fine, and normal AVI's will convert, but with Xvid's it says it's unsupported. I downloaded the recommended FFDShow, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to TMPEnc. TMPEnc still says that my XVid AVI file is unsupported.
plur
_
27. May 2004 @ 06:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Still the same problem, no video?????????
Ive spend 3 days trying to get it right, but still no video, what can i do?

PFC-Kluge
_
27. May 2004 @ 08:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Plur:
I ran into similar issues to you when I first started. A couple of ideas:
Step1
The AVI file that you are starting with could be either raw digital footage from a digital camcorder (probably very large in size 1-4 Gigabytes) -or- it could be a Divx or Xvid compressed format with the .AVI file extension (maybe something you picked up off the web) but it is likely much smaller in size (100 MB - 500MB). A program called AVICodec will tell you what kind it is exactly, and you can download this from the AfterDawn site. The size of the file is also a good indicator.

Step2-
If the file is a raw (uncompressed) AVI, then follow the guide using TMPGEnc to convert it to MPEG2 format. Nero 6 will easily burn this .MPG file to a DVD, but follow the guide. Note - before you start the Nero 6 burn process try playing the MPEG2 file that TMPGEnc created using a player like Windows Media Player. If you have both video and sound, then the Nero burn will be a snap. If you don't, then try playing the original raw .AVI file that you started with in the same Media Player. If you have both video and sound, then TMPGEnc will create the MPEG2 appropriately.
NOTE2- When using TMPGEnc, make sure you select the "System (Video+Audio)" in the Output Stream type otherwise it will create 2 separate files one for video and one for audio and they are not as easy to work with and could be why you are only getting audio.

Step2B:
If the original file is compressed (DIVX or XVid) then TMPGEnc will still do it but you will need to load something like FFDShow which you can also download here. This will provide TMPGEnc with the codec it needs to deal with this file.

Step3: After making sure that your MPEG2 file works in a media player, just use Nero 6 to burn it to a DVD.

Good luck.
If the file is
Gredlen
_
31. May 2004 @ 13:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi, I'm trying to convert some Xvids to DVD using TMPG, but when I try and adjust the source range, I get an "Invalid Pointer Operation." message. Is there any way around this besides just not changing the source range? =\
plur
_
2. June 2004 @ 00:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well first of all thanks PFC-Kluge for ur help, but
the
problem was with the div4 codec but i alredy fixed it, now
get audio and video =] <--- very happy about it. but now
the problem is with the video is al weirdo, the actors look like
if they were on a diet everething is really really long on the
screen so i went from 720 to 320 i think so and still nothing
changed so i dont know what to do so if any of you guys
would give a hint ;] ill be very happy and thank full..

Happy Encoding/burning to you all
_

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. June 2004 @ 00:19

PFC-Kluge
_
2. June 2004 @ 08:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gredlen,
I haven't had good success changing the source range either. The best way to modify the file is while it is still in AVI format with an AVI editor (Windows Movie Maker in XP works). Then don't even mess with the source range box, just go to "next".

Good luck.
PFC-Kluge
_
2. June 2004 @ 08:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Plur,
It sounds like you are converting the video from wide screen to 4:3 format. If you use the standard settings in TMPG for DVD NTSC, it should convert it to look exactly it the way it looks in your AVI file.
shiroh
_
2. June 2004 @ 11:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@gredlen
try in enviromental settings and set priority to directshow higher. (said this countless times)
Will27
_
4. June 2004 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have been trying to encode divx files with TMPGEnc...about 700mb in size, exactly the way the guide states
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm ) . I m having a problem though. When i am either going to NTSC or PAL I cant seem to go under the disk capacity. I try to lower the vid under 2000 for 720 x 480 but u cant cause it will be low res. And i was told i shouldnt lower the audio under 384. So now i cant seem to get the disk capactiy under 100. I have tried NTC or PAL low res but u cant use 720 x 480 , which causes problems b/c u TMPG author and IFO edit dont let u author dvd files with 352 x 480. What should i do? Should i lower the audio rate, which sometimes wont even do the trick at 160. Does it even matter if i go a little over the disk capacity? SHould I split the divx file? I would like to have these divx flies on one dvd with decent quality. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me =). Im sure there is a solution to this .
imblotto
_
4. June 2004 @ 15:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How long does it take most to convert the AVI using TMPGEnc? Mine takes 9 hours for low quality. Im using a 2.0 ghz pentium 4. Should it take that long?

wasabi
newbiee
_
7. June 2004 @ 14:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nope it shoud not take that long i have an AMD 2000+ (1.67ghz) and mine takes about max 5 hours for highly encoded video so i think that your procesor does not have enough multimedia extensions or packages (i think thats what it is called)or something is wrong with your processor
RyanZ06
Suspended permanently
_
7. June 2004 @ 16:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just Used MainConcept MPEG Encoder ---> then TMPGEnc author to create dvd files and chapters--->Tryed to burn with TMPGEnc didnt work (some error came up) so i simply used Nero 6.

Benefits are MPEG Encoder is quicker than TMPGEnc Plus, but i wasnt to happy about the quality of the DVD made with Mainconcept so i am going to go through the method using TMPGEnc plus this time, and see the difference. (Not looking forward to the long wait of converting though) :(

I'll let u know what i think :)

happyuser
Suspended permanently
_
19. June 2004 @ 16:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There is no need to convert your AVI back into mpeg2 for the DVD: go out there and rent a DVD movie, then use DVDDecrypter to rip as image this DVD movie onto your hard drive, and then use Daemon tool to mount this image, then use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the menu file ( VTS_01_0.VOB if VTS_01 is your main movie )( use this DVDShrink to reduce ONLY THE MENU, but nothing else ), and then feed the result into DVD-REBUILDER and make a multi-pass dvd conversion using CCE. Refer to the link below for some important tips on how to use DVD-REBUILDER:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/87438
Tmpegenc will be a name of yesterday, the name of old technology: it can be used to extract some files.bmp out of your VTS_01_0.VOB if VTS_01 is your main movie, and can be used to see how long a particular piece of video is: Tmpegenc should not be used for encoding mpeg2 for DVD anymore: it is too slow: a solution would be DVD-REBUILDER or the Big 3 methods: refer to the above link for some important tips on how to use DVD-REBUIDER.
Advertisement
_
__

_
RyanZ06
Suspended permanently
_
23. June 2004 @ 06:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That kinda defeats the object of converting, obviously u can do that but its no good if u have .AVI :)

Related links
Download the latest version of DivX codec from AfterDawn.com!
Get FFSHOW from here -- free DirectShow filter for watching DivX movies, faster than original DivX codec!
Read AfterDawn.com's DivX guides from here.

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
your opinion that Divx is no Longer standard ???? 3 29. December 2013 Video - Software discussion
DivX codec, trying to remove watermark from all encodes! 6 18. April 2013 Video - Software discussion
anyone have a panaonic dmp-bd75? -I can't get divx to work 1 7. June 2012 Blu-ray players
What kind of .avi format do Divx DVD players use? 3 1. April 2012 Convert video to another format
divx and any video converter 3 19. March 2012 Convert video to another format
help needed with playing divx on surround system 1 28. January 2012 Receivers and amplifiers
Divx buffering problem 0%-100% 1 26. November 2011 Video playback problems
DivX USB DVD player - judder in certain scenes...water, live music etc.... 5 21. November 2011 DVD players
Samsung DVD Recorder DivX 2 13. November 2011 DVD recorders
want to convert h.264 video file to divx 3 4. September 2011 Convert video to another format

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 encoding (avi to dvd) > convert avi, xvid, divx to dvd

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork