User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 17:33
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for newbies > doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
25. April 2004 @ 01:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
If one has a question regarding a specific guide or guides what is the best way to post this ??
Probably to pick a forum room most suitable for that guide and state the topic like "Problem with guide 'DVD to DVDR with DVD Shrink'" or something. If you have an actual suggestion to improve a guide or to fix a specific bug in a guide, use the feedback feature (under "About us" tab).

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/
Advertisement
_
__
jimwat1
_
25. April 2004 @ 03:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanx dRd.
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. May 2004 @ 18:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Silly me, I had this thought, (I have so few now a-days it was really very special) wouldn't it be great if instead of that money generating "Flashing Ad sign" at the top of each page, the sign would read instead, "HAVE YOU READ A GUIDE?". How good would that be in that "Neon Pink" color we all know and love?

But then of course, on the other hand, - - - I have different fingers - -
(Far too much Nitrogen in that tank of air - - )

Cheers,

To know him isn?t necessarily a good enough reason to love him - - -

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. May 2004 @ 18:38

jarradb
_
1. June 2004 @ 04:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi I would like to know how to burn dvds properly. I put the disc in and copy through Nero and then back onto a blank disc. However when its finished it just doesnt work. All the files are on the new disk but the dvd title page doesnt come up and I cant choose the scenes and stuff when i try and watch it.
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. June 2004 @ 15:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Hi there jarradb and Welcome to our little Club -

Yea, I guess you just found out things aren't as simple as you thought - but then again we all were in your shoes when we first started :D)

I have just the place for you to go to learn about backing up DVD's.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79846

This is just a single thread loaded, and I mean loaded with tons of information about the proper media that you should be using (and if you think THAT isn?t important, you?ll wind up paying a costly lesson.), tips and even super duper guides and downloads that will save you time and money -

In the 12 pages of this thread you?ll find an answer to almost all of your questions and then some -

Grab a cup of coffee and read a while, be sure a take notes and I?ll bet you?ll be burning DVD?s in no time at all -

If ya get stuck with something, give a yell, we?ll be glad to let ya know where you slipped up -

Cheers,

Pete

The ?Old Man? Pete (ö¿ô)

Your DVD answers are at ScubaPete's DVD Backup Corner ~>

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. June 2004 @ 16:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
apparently jarradb didn't read this thread.

V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
Pioneer 107, ritek g05
DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. June 2004 @ 16:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

sometimes ya feel silly posting BUT, somebody will get some use out of it :P)

"P"
AfterDawn Addict
_
13. June 2004 @ 18:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wassup.. mods, let me know if you want to remove my link or not..
but i have my classic site on doing dvd backups 4 ways..
1. Nero 6 and recode 2
2. ifo editor and splitting
3. dvd2one
4. rempeg/manual transcoding

http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides

just did a total layout revamp...

peace
and happy backing up.!
seamonkey

AfterDawn Addict
_
16. June 2004 @ 13:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
seamonkey, am i allowed to say love your "matrix model"? oops, too late

GO VOLS !

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. August 2004 @ 17:08

AfterDawn Addict
_
16. June 2004 @ 14:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hehe... thanks!
i aim to please.. haha..
peace
seamonkey420

phsyc22
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
25. July 2004 @ 23:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is n e one in here?

I've tried Alchohol 12% and decrypter and record now and nothing has worked for burning my ps2 games
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. August 2004 @ 16:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's a good place for my guide -

a ScubaPete story guide to custom edit & backup your favorite DVD

Well Ok then, let?s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the ?Uncle ScubaPete Show? will be coming on the air ?
- CLICK ?
?Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the ?Fat chewing? champion?s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he?ll be until it?s been discovered that he?s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it?s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - ?

Ooohhh Boy, Ooohhh Boy, am I excited ! I couldn't wait to see you !

And what?s so great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

FREE STUFF that?s what, the new FREE DVD Shrink version 3.2 AND DVD Decrypter !
We now we can go from start to finish with just 2 programs (checkbook not necessary) and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

Come on and get your FREE DVD Shrink, right here ~ ~>
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now, over here in isle 5, get your FREE DVD Decrypter here ~ ~>
http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

"How good is it ?" you ask ?It's so good that you might want to
PRINT IT OUT NOW !
(Easier to follow, don't you know ? :)

NOW, IS EVERYBODY READY ???

GOOD -

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up there to burn'em to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:\All DVD work\ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink put your ISO image in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "Verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on false DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter by itself.

Let?s go get one of your favorite DVD?s and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen, like a waterspout hit the Mojave Desert and claim the original you?ll have a backup of it.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, PLEASE USE; TDK, Ritek G04, "Branded" RiData, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", Phillips, Sony , media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in older standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in.. Using quality media plays a major role in successful DVD burning. Certain "Name Brands" should not be trusted. If you're not sure, ask here before you buy.

Now, into DVD Shrink we go, let's "click" "Edit", then "click" "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300MB" to "4360". - We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK". Let's do that now !

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? Kweel ! Alright then, let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Cluster Mush OR Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments (also known as Outer Mongolian). This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture.
If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the very best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are additional choices, look at the time and select the title with the longest time as that is usually the main attraction. "Click" and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Additional editing may be done by using the "Start" \ "Finish" controls to the right of the "DVD Compilation" heading on the left-hand side of the Re-author window. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

NOTE:
If you want a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Mush-mouth, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway, it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (a good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

Since we are editing our DVD, DO NOT TOUCH THE "FULL DISC" BUTTON.
Clicking the "Full Disc" button will erase our editing work and reset DVD Shrink to do a full backup.
It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup.
If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\All DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and enjoy a peaceful cup of tea. DVD Shrink will work it's little heart out, obeying your commands and putting a copy of your work on your HD while instructing DVD Decrypter to toast your DVD to your waiting disc to a rich, golden "Done"..
- Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets -
We'll not have to mess with our settings again :)

I KNOW you won't go anywhere near that PC while it's working cause we don't want to mess up the burn this late in the game do we ?

Tell me now, . . . .

Wasn't that finer than frog hair ?

Slicker than a slimy, slithery, Southern, three-toed Sloth ?

Yep, ya see, . . . . I thought you'd say that - .
Me and thee, what a team :-D)

Thank you for choosing a ScubaPete Guide.

(Remember, when you want a guide with a "out of sight, out of his mind" personality, shop ScubaPete :P)

The ?Old Man? Pete (ö¿ô)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. November 2004 @ 14:28

ddlooping
_
26. August 2004 @ 11:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi all. :)

Pete, I just wanted to say ... I luuuuuv your guides. :D

They are both funny and informative, which is very rare. ;)

I hope everyone appreciate the time and effort it takes to write them.

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. August 2004 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Thanks much Mr. Senior ddlooping -

We tries ta makes it interesting, Yes Sir Boy, Boy, it's what we do :)

"P" :P)

Did I say congrats ? I meant too - "CONGRATS !"

The ?Old Man? Pete (ö¿ô)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. September 2004 @ 16:31

ddlooping
_
26. August 2004 @ 18:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the congrats. :)

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info
DrogoRA
_
19. September 2004 @ 22:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i'm new arround here! I just got my dvd burner and i want to download some movies on dvd and i don't know where i can find this! Help me !

KKND
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. September 2004 @ 16:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

DrogoRA,

"Google" for mIRC -

Cheers,

Pete

The ?Old Man? Pete (ö¿ô)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. September 2004 @ 16:34

HootOwl
_
15. October 2004 @ 16:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mr.ScubaPete
I started with X-Copy, then shrink and decrypter, with the famous cheap media along the way. I have recently followed your guide to the letter and a funny thing has happened, I have yet to have a failure. I was always taught best to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Sorry for the abuse you take at times from the experts in need of help. The only reason I signed up was to "THANK YOU" for the easy guides that work so great. Keep up the good work you are appreciated.
ScubaPete
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. October 2004 @ 20:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Hey there and "Howdy" Hootowl,

Welcome to aD -

It's nice to get a "thank you", you're more than welcome -

Hey, we're glad you're burning up a storm :)
Consider this a parting invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre) Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)

Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be looking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers my friend,

Pete :P)

The ?Old Man? Pete (ö¿ô)

dehustler
_
31. October 2004 @ 20:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
guess Im a very new-be. visited site several times before but never created a profile. Look forward to sharing experiences, also have a question, unsure where to post?

Shark
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2004 @ 03:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Welcome to AD, what's your question?

GO VOLS !
dehustler
_
1. November 2004 @ 06:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have dvdxcopy platinum installed. I was making a backup with dvdx rescue and I received an error saying Insufficient temporary space exists on a local hard drive. A minimum of 7.83 additional free local hard drive space is required. I have software before with no trouble. Please help, Thankyou Rob

Shark
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2004 @ 08:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Rob, here is where you need to take your questions concerning X Copy, good luck..:>)

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/

GO VOLS !
arky25
Suspended permanently
_
9. December 2004 @ 10:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
[REMOVED]

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. December 2004 @ 10:20

Advertisement
_
__

_
fgreco
_
11. December 2004 @ 10:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Hi Iam getting stuck at this point I have decripter 3.5.1 the new version and shrink 2.3 I dont understand most of the buttons suba tells me arent there to press. exspecially this one which is a process to set it up. please help thanks

We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK". Let's do that now !

frank greco

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for newbies > doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork