User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 18:11
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for newbies > doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
cryptdigr
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
4. March 2004 @ 09:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Now I realize I'm considered a newbie having just starting my account and all however ........ doesn't anyone look through the guides before posting a question relating to "how-to" questions? I think the website is great and it has definitely helped me out with converting etc. It blows me away seeing the same questions posted over and over. Ok, I'm alright now :)
Advertisement
_
__
_
4. March 2004 @ 10:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
We thank you for it cryptdigr :) and welcome to AD.

Consider yourself a very welcome exception to the rule :D

My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33
cryptdigr
_
4. March 2004 @ 10:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
: tips hat : Thank you for the welcome. I learn something new EVERY OTHER day here.

Cheers
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
4. March 2004 @ 10:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Welcome to the boards cryptdigr.

It's nice to see a newbie with a good attitude about doing their homework. Unfortunately a lot of people get into this without understanding the complexity and aren't willing to invest the time to do something as simple as using the search function or re-reading a guide a few times.

BTW, you probably should have posted this on the Safety Valve forum. OTOH it would make a good sticky right here. ;)

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. March 2004 @ 10:37

cryptdigr
_
4. March 2004 @ 10:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thought posting there, but then again I didn't think anyone would "find" it there. I gotta smile man.
_
4. March 2004 @ 11:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Definitely a good sticky.

I must have lurked here for 2 or 3 months before posting. The guides here are tops and along with searching I was up and running in no time discovering all the wonderful freeware to be had :)

My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33
cryptdigr
_
4. March 2004 @ 11:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The software is great and the user guides provided are explained clear enough for anyone to do well the first time around. It took a little bit for me to finally get caught up with the burner, but it's all been well worth it. Looking forward to many more posts ;) Thanks for the hospitality.
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
4. March 2004 @ 12:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Welcome :-) And stickied now.

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/
_
5. March 2004 @ 17:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Too true.

One of the things I had going for me, was having the guides open in several windows will doing the step by step process using the software. It helped tremendously, getting me from point A, to the brick wall I hit in no time! lmao...it had nothing to do with the guides though....those are very well written. I recommend having the guides open when first starting out.
cryptdigr
_
5. March 2004 @ 17:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I second the motion!

ASUS P4P800/ Intel P4 3.02 ghtz
Corsair/PCS Extreme/PC3500/DDR-1024 gig GeForce/5600FX/128meg
240 gig HDD (3x80)Seagate 7200 rpm
Kenwood TrueX 72x/Liteon 24x10x40x/Liteon 851SX
SoundBlaster Audigy 2/ Creative Gigaworks S750
MCSE+I/C++/Security
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
7. March 2004 @ 07:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Exactly. To really figure out what you're doing you need to read through some guides, decide which one you're going to use, read through that one a second time, keep it open while you're working, and follow it step by step. When you get stuck somewhere, as many (maybe most) people will the first time through, you should re-read some or all of the previous steps to see if you've done them right, retrace your steps to make sure you did what you thought you did, and then, if you're still stuck, search the forums. If none of that fixes the problem you should post a question.

When I started backing up DVDs it took me about 6-8 hours to do my first backup, and that was when making a movie-only backup meant using IfoEdit to re-author. By my third day I knew enough to split a movie across 2 discs. That wasn't because I understood what I was doing right away. It was because I read as many guides as I could find and eventually found some posts here on Afterdawn that gave me the final pieces of the puzzle.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. March 2004 @ 07:41

IMMENO
_
7. March 2004 @ 08:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i agree.... i had actually downloaded a couple programs and started using them before i began to question... typically the questions are answered in the guides, unfortunately i didnt know they existed until i asked a question and was told about the guides..

im still here
jeffreyh1
_
7. March 2004 @ 16:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've made a few DVD's and haven't had a problem using them on a few different DVD players but I have one DVD player which tells me there is an error. Does anyone here have that same problem?
grogey
_
25. March 2004 @ 03:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ah yes my favourite function on this site The Search Function . I agree with what was said afore me. I've been lurking around for a few months meself - but managed to find most info within the guides or already in the forums. Take yesterday for example. I was all gun-ho to ask whether I should have my dvd-player and dvd burner on the same or seperate ide channels. Did a search - found nothing. Changed what I was looking for slightly and after the third hit on the search (took about 2 mins total) found just the post!

I actually think it would have taken me longer to type the message for a post - let alone wait impatiently for someone to answer.

Just had to zip back in and edit this post - I hate reading a post afterwards and worrying that it doesn't come across with the same humour and meaning that you were thinking as you typed. I wasn't meaning to sound ungrateful about having to wait for someone to answer - so please don't anyone get offended. Infact I've been stoked that someone has replied to my messages everytime I've come back online to check. I was simply pointing out that the seach function can often find you the information quicker than you would by posting a message in the forum.

Grogeybear
My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE
Aim for Charm not Perfection

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. March 2004 @ 03:08

cryptdigr
_
25. March 2004 @ 07:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Grogey .....

Nice to hear from you as well as see your honesty. Welcome!

MCSE+I/C++/Security
grogey
_
26. March 2004 @ 19:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Seriously though - does anyone else have that problem? My mind is always racing ahead (comes from have adult adhd) and as I am typing in the message my brain thinks it is encoding it (lol) with the correct sense of humour or inflection.

But once posted and I go back and read it - I wonder if the person at the other end of the message will get it the same way. Hence you might see that a lot of my posts get edited!!

One disadvantage about being adhd is that I can't for the life of me work out why everyone else doesn't think the same way I do and often I expect them to get it just like I do.

On the other hand - controlled in the right way - having adhd as an adult is such a plus. I get sooooo much done in a day (pity I didn't stick to one thing instead of doing 50 at once though). I do have the ability to plan and am always full of ideas and new ways of doing things (following up on them is another thing).

Gosh........see what I mean - that was meant to be a nice short note and now look at the volume I have posted.

Grogeybear

cryptdigr
_
27. March 2004 @ 02:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Grogey ........

Did you notice that you didn't edit your last post?? You must be doing something right then, huh? My brother is the same way as you described yourself and is only recently learning to deal/cope/live with it. I'm sure we'll all look forward to many more "edited/unedited" posts from you in the future :)

MCSE+I/C++/Security
grogey
_
27. March 2004 @ 13:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks cryptdigr. You are a treasure! How old is your brother? It is difficult to cope with as an adult but luckily I have found medication makes a huge difference for me. It gives me the ability to actually complete a project.....and that given I often have 10 on the go at a time......it means that eventually many do get finished.

Love to talk to you about it!

Grogeybear

Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
28. March 2004 @ 04:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can sympathize. My sister severe ADD and while I've never been diagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have it as well. When I was a kid my teachers frequently had to put me somewhere by myself because I got distracted so easily and even now I have similar problems. When something has my interest I can work like a madman on it, but I can lose interest at the drop of a hat. Actually it's not uncommon for me to start a response to a post, either here or on another message board I frequent, and then lose interest before I'm done. Kind of pathetic now that I read it.

I'm currently looking into dietary treatments that have been getting more attention lately because my son appears to have ADHD and I'd rather not put him on any medication this early in his life (he's 5). Plus I wouldn't mind helping myself a little.

Probably should take this OT discussion to the Safety Valve instead of cluttering this thread up. ;-)

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
Steve672
_
5. April 2004 @ 17:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Try the book Scattered Minds by Gabor Mate. He is an M.D. who also has ADD. An excellent book.

Steve
cryptdigr
_
5. April 2004 @ 17:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Grogey,

My brother is 34 and just received his Master's Degree in Theology. I have to admit that he surprised not only myself, but many around him with this accomplishment. Determination got him there and determination keeps him going. If you'd like to talk further then feel free to contact me.
Take it Easy :)

MCSE+I/C++/Security
BenDover
_
9. April 2004 @ 23:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I second your sentiments cryptdigr. Here I am a newbie looking for simple infomation that I'm sure I'll find out is real basic. It would be easier just to post a question and wait for someone to answer me, but here I am in the "guides" thread first to search for my answer before bothering the people I'll need later on as I get better at DVD burning. If only everyone would do the same these boards would be much more efficent than they already are. The vets would be able to spend more time answering legitimate questions rather than answering the same questions over and over.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that participates in this forum ahead of time! I have seen in my short time here that there is all kinds of information to be had! Keep up the good work everyone!

Okay I'm off to read some guides! You'll be hearing from me shortly with my questions I'm sure. I'll try to make mine original questions too if I can.

Peace,

BenDover
cryptdigr
_
10. April 2004 @ 04:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, the guides are THE reason I first started using this forum. Everything else I've learned including some of the people I have talked to are just bonuses of a GREAT forum ;) However, the TMPGEnc guide might be a bit better if there were some "tweaking" guide to help with the numerous fine tuning available within the program itself. All in all, AD is the place to be!

Ciao!

MCSE+I/C++/Security
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. April 2004 @ 04:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i agree... thanks to everyone thats lent me a hand when i needed it!!!

this place and doom9.org got me into teh dvd backup scene and eventually the xbox mod scene..

like everyone else said, just read and read and read some more and hopefully what your reading doesn't contradict itself...

at times though it seems there are too many guides and which one do you use becomes an even bigger question...

so good luck! post ?s and we'll get ya going! :-)

oh yea, check out my dvd and xbox guides..

peace
seamonkey420

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. April 2004 @ 04:17

Advertisement
_
__

_
jimwat1
_
25. April 2004 @ 00:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I must say I agree with cryptdigr as regards performing proper research before asking questions. I just registered today but have been reading the guides for a number days. In common with most newbies I am perhaps a bit confused by the wide range of tools available. Is there somewhere an "unbiased comparison" of these.
If one has a question regarding a specific guide or guides what is the best way to post this ??

:-)

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for newbies > doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork