Forums
Forums
Power Supplies
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 15:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Im not interested in Dual or quad Sli/Crossfire. I simply want a powerful single card that will last me a couple years like my 8600GT has. As ive said, im not an avid gamer. I just want a SHARP ENOUGH vid quality card. The 4870 seems to be the most talked about on the web!
It looks like ATI recommends 500W for a single card. I should be safe then. if it takes 2 6 pins, and mine can offer 36amps combined, surely that'll be fine! Especially considering im not a heavy gamer! LOL

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 16:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A 4870 can really be run off a 450W PSU, but you'd need an adapter, which I am not fond of using.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 16:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Sammorris:
A 4870 can really be run off a 450W PSU, but you'd need an adapter, which I am not fond of using.

Yah...I dont even know about modular, let alone running adapters. Sounds like mickey mousing to me LOL! Besides, there has to be power loss there, if only a minor one. Probably not much but...

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 16:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well, efficiency loss, it'd be very minor, but my main concern is the abysmal quality of the manufacturing in most power connectors like those.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 16:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yah...the very word adapter makes me cringe anymore! Most of my USB -->IDE adapters have taken a **** I'll be extremely selective in the future!

_
30. March 2009 @ 18:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
sammorris I agree to an extent on the Corsair the 520 I received the fan was just hanging in it ,no big deal to repair but their rebates suck to high heaven.But you are definitely right for money and quietness they are hard to beat.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 18:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I know maybe 10 people at my LAN party of 40 that I see regularly at the events that all use the 520HX, apart from one with a faster than usual fan, none of them have experienced any issues.

updated 10-Dec-13
_
30. March 2009 @ 18:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's the only Corsair I've had a problem with and I took that as something that slipped through. I seen a couple of other reviews after I bought it for fan problems including a yahoo who left some packing plastic in the fan.Not knocking the Corsairs for quality but their rebates are taking 3 months or more.That 520 is used on the new build that's being converted to home theater as soon as the price of quads come down a little more.Right now the tower sits next to my left ear and is playing movies with the only sound being heard is the movie and a little drive noise from the LG.The rebates should be illegal here in the states to!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. March 2009 @ 18:55

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
30. March 2009 @ 18:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Corsair never were any good at rebates. The way I see it, they're a bit of a farse, which is why they're illegal in the UK.

updated 10-Dec-13
ddp
_
30. March 2009 @ 23:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
31. March 2009 @ 01:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks DDP!!! This calculator(http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) says I should be way good with my current PSU. I realize this is simply a guidline though. And that does mean that im running at 75% of load. When I upgrade to 4870 Video card anyway :)

I might wanna consider going better in the fairly near future though. I dont like running over 50% load. Especially on a PSU that others think is garbage :(

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2009 @ 01:04

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
31. March 2009 @ 13:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Tut tut Omega, the pink bar and the HAF logo put you 3KB over the maximum forum limit for a signature image... :P

updated 10-Dec-13

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2009 @ 13:04

AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
31. March 2009 @ 13:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
its only 1.5! I thought that was within reason. And the line size is proper as well.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2009 @ 13:17

ddp
_
31. March 2009 @ 13:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
but your sig is 500x148 with 1 line of text. what does the forum rules state about a sig with picture & text?
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
31. March 2009 @ 13:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
100 high and 3 lines. I didnt think that 148 and 1 line was extreme. Ive seen others with larger. Dont remember where. If asked however, I will acquiesce LOL (RULES)

Sam, Wattage is more heat handling than anything, right? The thermaltake may have less power, but more Heat handling, correct? Ive read that more than once somewhere.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2009 @ 13:46

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
31. March 2009 @ 18:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wattage is maximum power throughput. The only thing with heat is the more watts something uses, the more heat it creates (since electrical energy in PCs is 99% turned into heat energy). This comes out of the components that use the power, not the PSU itself. The PSU does produce heat however through efficiency loss. Cheap and/or old PSUs like that Thermaltake are only 70-75% efficient, which means 25-30% of their max 300W will be ADDED in additional power drawn from the socket, and generated as heat in the power supply. At 300W D.C. load, that's 75-90W of heat generated in the PSU. It's worth noting that a lot of new PSUs especially in europe with 220-240V supply are nuding 90% efficient for a wide range of loads. A good 850W PSU like a Zalman may only be wasting the same 75-90W at 700W load.

updated 10-Dec-13
_
17. April 2009 @ 19:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey guys I have a question about the power supply in my server. The server is an hp ML 150 G3 and it has the stock 650 watt psu. I want to replace it with my corsair 450 because it runs really hot, is really big and the cables are setup weird. But I dont know if it is a proprietary psu or not. I have heard about big manufacturers using proprietary parts in their computers so that you had to buy replacements from them. Is there any way to find this out? I called hp customer support and they could not give me an answer.

GAMING COMPUTER - Intel q9550 @ 3.4ghz | EVGA GTX 260 core 216 | Gigabyte ds3l | 6gb Gskill DDR2 800 ram | Silverstone 700 watt psu | WD 640gb hdd | Seagate 300gb hdd | LG dvd burner | Samsung dvd burner | Antec p182 case | logitech 2.1 speakers | logitech g11 keyboard | Samsung 25.5in 1900x1200 monitor | 19in 1440x900 secondary monitor | Windows 7 64bit | SERVER - Gigabyte 785g motherboard | AMD Phenom 9650 | 6gb ram | three 1.5tb hdd | Seagate 1tb hdd | WD 750gb hdd | two 300gb hdd | Maxtor 200gb hdd | Ark rackmount case | CentOS 5.5
Steam name = "krj15489" alias = Jordan-k
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
17. April 2009 @ 20:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's difficult to tell other than to try it. I didn't have any luck with a basic HP Compaq system for home use, that did have a proprietary unit.

updated 10-Dec-13
_
17. April 2009 @ 20:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would try it but I'm afraid that it might short the board out or something. Its a nice dual 771 board and I don't want to ruin it. Did you damage anything with the computer you tried it on?

GAMING COMPUTER - Intel q9550 @ 3.4ghz | EVGA GTX 260 core 216 | Gigabyte ds3l | 6gb Gskill DDR2 800 ram | Silverstone 700 watt psu | WD 640gb hdd | Seagate 300gb hdd | LG dvd burner | Samsung dvd burner | Antec p182 case | logitech 2.1 speakers | logitech g11 keyboard | Samsung 25.5in 1900x1200 monitor | 19in 1440x900 secondary monitor | Windows 7 64bit | SERVER - Gigabyte 785g motherboard | AMD Phenom 9650 | 6gb ram | three 1.5tb hdd | Seagate 1tb hdd | WD 750gb hdd | two 300gb hdd | Maxtor 200gb hdd | Ark rackmount case | CentOS 5.5
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
17. April 2009 @ 20:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I couldn't really hook it up, it didn't fit in the case, so I never tried. Put the old unit back, kept the replacement for myself and cut the price of the upgrade to the customer. Its replacement PSU is the Earthwatts 380W I now run in my server... :)

updated 10-Dec-13
_
17. April 2009 @ 20:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well I guess I will just have try it. The psu I have in my server now doesn't fit. I bought a new rack mount case that can hold 9 hdd's and I could not get the psu in correctly. I had to break a little piece off and not the psu just sits in the spot but is not screwed in.

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
17. April 2009 @ 20:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Heh, considered that, but in my case it was completely the wrong size.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. April 2009 @ 22:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by krj15489:
Well I guess I will just have try it. The psu I have in my server now doesn't fit. I bought a new rack mount case that can hold 9 hdd's and I could not get the psu in correctly. I had to break a little piece off and not the psu just sits in the spot but is not screwed in.
Did you try turning it upside down?? Sometimes that's the way they are supposed to be mounted in the case. ;) Just thinking out loud really. :)

...gm

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
_
17. April 2009 @ 22:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The power supply is bigger than a normal psu and would not fit. I had to break off a little bracket just to get it into the slot. also the screws dont line up so I cant secure it in the case.

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. April 2009 @ 22:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by krj15489:
The power supply is bigger than a normal psu and would not fit. I had to break off a little bracket just to get it into the slot. also the screws dont line up so I cant secure it in the case.
Well that sux don't it?? lol. Sorry to hear mate... maybe you can try something like eBay.com for a "fit"?

...gm

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > power supplies

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork