User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 18:24
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > power calibration errors
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Power Calibration Errors
  Jump to:

Posted Message
phaserule
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
22. December 2004 @ 19:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Pioneer A04, with updated firmware, was recording on a 4x dvd (memorex) at a 2x speed and was working fine. Until, I uninstalled a trial copy of htburndvd32shareeng. I discovered imedately(!!!) afterwards that I now had a power calibration error with burnatonce and recordnow that was not there before the uninstall. Burn4Free can burn at 2x with no power callibration error but doesn't do videos. To repair this I cleaned the drive serveral times, double checked (triple checked) that I had the updated version of firmware and even reinstalled it. To no avail. Followed this with a reformated hd and clean reinstall of win xp. Given that I've excepted the fact that most problems that I have are due to my lack of knowledge, still I think that it was a strange time for a power callibration problem to occur - during the removal of a program.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. December 2004 @ 19:11

Advertisement
_
__
madmurdoc
_
20. January 2005 @ 22:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi

I use to suffer from the ballache of power callibration errors until i turned of Win XP's burning engine, to do this follow:

1 click start
2 select control panel
3 click on administrative tools
4 click on services
5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8 make sure you click APPLY

After this i was able to burn anything i wanted at quite fast speeds with shody media.
webben
_
25. July 2005 @ 18:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Another one bites the dust...
I'm on a pionner 108 and got the power calibration error this morning and I was really the dust. I work only with sony and ritek dvdr so the I think the media quality couldn't be the cause

a little air duster can after scrapping 10-15 dvds fix everything

thank for your replies Oopsla
havanaja
_
14. August 2005 @ 12:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Began to get "power calibration error" after upgrading Nero - uninstalled the Nero upgrade and reinstalled the "old" Nero version but could not get rid of "power calibration error"!
havanaja
_
14. August 2005 @ 14:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Began to get "power calibration error", for DVD burning, after upgrading Nero and i had used the same-two Sony dvd burners for several years with virtually 100% success!!! Used TDK, Sony and Maxell disks.

Imediately after upgrading Nero, I got the "power calibration error" 100% of the time burning dvds...same failure rate for several months now.

Then I uninstalled the Nero upgrade and reinstalled the "old" Nero version but could not get rid of "power calibration error"!
Pariah333
_
6. September 2005 @ 17:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm using a Sony Dru-500a with the latest firmware, Taio Yuden DVD-R, and Nero 6.6 something or another. I have been getting the same Calibration error as everyone else, but I've noticed that if I slow the unit to 2X instead of the max 4X the disc will burn. I've tried everything from using 3 different burning programs to taking the drive apart, and cleaning it. It's rather frustrating, but at least I know that it will function at %50. Anyways I hope that this helped out in some way. Good luck
Pariah
webben
_
6. September 2005 @ 17:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The power calibration error came back on my pionner 108.. I tried to downspeed it.. the burner only work at 4x and less... I try to reclean it etc.. but nothing this time... must be the end for this burner (I burn at least 1500-1600 dvds' with so isn't so bad)...
Pariah333
_
9. September 2005 @ 20:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Webben is the disc starting to record, and then failing, or is it just failing from the start?
If it is just giving you the error from the start then drop the speed, and give madmurdoc's solution a shot. It can be found earlier in this thread. If you have already tried this then try checking your wnaspi32.dll (providing your running XP). It may have corrupted somehow, not sure how, but it does happen. I believe that there is a program to test it on Nero, or Adapttec's websites I'm sorry I can't remember which one it is. I really hope this helps you out
Pariah
webben
_
10. September 2005 @ 04:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for you answer...

The problem isn't always at the same time.. and sometimes 8x burning works... Like, I try to clean it up with a compressed air can by the drawer of the dvd. The straw of the can was shoot in the dvd (yeah that's dumb :P) so I was force to open it to widthraw it. By the way, I do a better clean in the dvd.. I was able to do about 5-6 8x burning before get back the power calibration error...

I will try your sugestion and give you feedback.. but I think the burner will die shortly... (it made a great job for the times it work... 1500+++ dvds')
Ravix
_
10. September 2005 @ 07:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Has anyone tried madmurdoc's approach? I hadn't heard of that. (MeSoNOOB)I'm going to give a try and report back. I've got a NEC ND1300A and i've been getting P.C.E. too. I'll try the dust first. I've only burned 5 DVD since new using the supplied Roxio garbage, just upgraded to Nero so I suspect the drive is OK.

Ravix
webben
_
10. September 2005 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
> Has anyone tried madmurdoc's approach?

I'm trying it at this moments... for so far, I burned 3 dvds at 8x without errors, look good...
Ravix
_
13. September 2005 @ 08:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've discovered a possible cause of my problem but haven't tried it yet. Appreantly DVD-R have a problem with encoding. I picked up some DVD+R yesterday and will try one tonight. Wish me luck. or carma, providence, prayer, whatever...
Ravix
_
13. September 2005 @ 08:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
BTW, i tried madmurdoc approach without any difference, but, as mentioned before, with DVD-R disks.

Also, do DVD-/+RW disc play in DVD players.
webben
_
13. September 2005 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ravix, what's the model of your DVD writter ? For me, My pionner 108 doesn't burn movies corectly on DVD+R but it's ok for data. I only use DVD-R since that.

by the way, for the madmurdoc approach I tried it since my last post and look fine. Got only 2 errors (no "power calibration error") on about 20 dvds
Ravix
_
13. September 2005 @ 10:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NEC ND1300A
kickbak
_
17. September 2005 @ 21:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Firmware is very important.
Your firmware must have the writing strategy for the media that you are trying to burn too.
Here is what Nero has to say about calibration errors.
http://www.nero.com/en/FAQs_Error_Messages.html#9

Dust should be blown out, every now and then.
Some times simple things are overlooked.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. September 2005 @ 10:46

waleedwc
_
13. November 2005 @ 01:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Didnt see this sticky, I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with a dvd burner DV-U50A, but the thing is that it gives me a calibration error if i change the drive is well? anyone know what i should do?
Does anyone have a disassembly guide for sony vaio laptops?

blaktooth
_
22. December 2005 @ 07:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a power calibration error happening, and it is strange because it started happening half way through the spindle of media I have. It's a no-name brand, but I'm used them for quite a while and have had no problems, as long as I burn at 2.4x

I did just update my Nero and immediately started getting the error. I have uninstalled and re-installed the older Nero that came with the drive, but am still getting the error.

I have a Memorex DVD+/-RW True 8x and the firmware is the most recent available.

Any ideas on this?
exxitar
_
4. January 2006 @ 11:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey guys im a bit of a noob here lol power calibration meaning? pixel brake up or frezes? any ways i have a memorex burner i used to use memorex media and i notice no problems but then i switched to some generic crap and i got some pixel brake up so i switched to ritek white printable for the first few months no problem then i got a bunch of brake ups on the first 10 minutes of the movie and at the . I started to burn at x4 instead of x8 and it help a bit but now it got worse so i was going to buy a sony burned Dl with all the features x16 speed etc .. but then my friend told me he had a pioneer and he had no problems etc... so i bought one yestereday and i plug it in but ZERO it did not work. so i switch it from where my dvd player was and it worked fine i tried to burn with nero and i got error!! 4 disc shot to hell so i tried to use dvd decrypter and it was doing fine untill 49% in to the burn it said error pioneer blah blah blah, and then it prompt me to retry or cancel so i try retry and it kept doing it for about 40 times, it took 8 min to finish the burn at x8 and it finally finish burning succesfully and i try to view the movie and a perfect copy no skips,pix brakes up or frezes i did 6 more movies that way and they all came out perfect exept for the error on dvd decrypter nag so i had to stay infront of my pc to keep clicking the screen untill it finish the burn so perfect burns but the bloody nag of keep clicking by hte way the fastes burn i ever experienced, my memorex would take 30 min at x8 and 45 min at x4 where this pioneer took 8 min at x8 and 12 at x4. So i continued burning i tried to update the firmware but i got a error saying not succesfull then my original firmware i guess got errased so the darn burner stoped working and i had it with it so i sent it back and got a replacement a LITE-ON so my question here is LITE-ON is it reliable or one of the best ?
Best Double Layer Deal!
LiteOn Dual Layer Internal 16x DVD+/RW Driv any thougt? sorry for making this a long story just thought id share this with you guys and any other noob like me lol

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2006 @ 12:06

exxitar
_
4. January 2006 @ 11:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey blaktooth my memorex does the same thing i think is cause the drive is worn out or spent or something of teh sort go figure change the drive try a new one like NEC maybe or try the LITE-ON ill be getting my new one by monday and if it is any thing like the pioneer clean crisp free of break ups then it is worth avery penny

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2006 @ 12:07

_
4. January 2006 @ 12:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@exxitar

you had your entire replies in bold, not good on the eyes so i edited out the bold quotes

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2006 @ 12:08

exxitar
_
4. January 2006 @ 12:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
my deepest apologies for that creaky wont happen again just wanted to make sure it got read sorry about that mate
_
4. January 2006 @ 13:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
no worries

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
alinsdau
_
23. January 2006 @ 18:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I had the same thing happen with my drive, Nero gave me a power calibration error. After cleaning up my shorts, I looked online and found the user above mentioning blowing off the lens and that worked. I've burned to these Sony CD-Rs tons of times without trouble and then all of the sudden bam! I threw away the potentially troublesome CD, blew off the lens WITHOUT getting chemical on it and it works again. Thank you!

Aaron
http://www.aaronlinsdau.com
Advertisement
_
__

_
blakroach
_
24. February 2006 @ 05:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I know that this is an old thread,but I'm having the same prblems as many in this old thread. No one else describe their problem the way mine is but it could be the same issue, I don't know. But when I insert a blank dvd disc, windows does read it as a cd, but once that happens, I hear a whirring sound for about a minute or two than stops. Admittedly i'm not using high grade media, but up until a couple of days ago I never really have since its just movie backing up that I use these disc for and never had any issues before.My question is that since I've cleaned out the drive, or have I? Do I need to remove the drive to clean it? Two I'll be trying A quality media this weekend, as well. If I come out striking out with those methods does that mean The drive is toast.I've made (burned) a couple of music cd's with no problem. I have a pioneer DVD-RW dvr_106d model drive that I use in conjunction with Nero 6. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > power calibration errors

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork