User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 11:24
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > power calibration errors
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Power Calibration Errors
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
7. July 2004 @ 12:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There are two common causes for power calibration errors.

Low Quality Media

At the start of each burn the drive will burn to a small section the the disc to adjust the laser power for the media being used. Low quality media is inconsistent and will frequently give hit or miss results during the power calibration. AN32, CMC and Moser Baer are common low quality media.

Keep in mind that many of the brands of media aren't actually made by the company selling them. To find out who actually manufactured the media you can use DVD Identifier.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Some of the best makes of media to try are Ritek G04/G05, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden.

The only recourse for power calibration errors with low quality media is to update the firmware for your drive and hope it works. Here's a link to the best firmware page to be found:

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

If you've never flashed a drive before I highly suggest checking out the forums there and read up on the process before attemting anything.

Your Burner Is Dying

This one is self-explanatory.

If you're using quality media, your firmware is up to date and you're still recieving power calibration errors then your old drive is dying or your new drive is most likely defective.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. July 2004 @ 12:29

Advertisement
_
__
roryoss
_
8. July 2004 @ 21:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i burned a couple dvd's on cheaper no name media but it worked fine !! now my nec dv 2500A seems slow on startup the light hangs and all programs freeze until i free the drive and my problem is i have Burned maybe 30 dvds without failure with 4 diff kinds and brands of media dvd +R -r and dvd-rw's. i have a nec dv 2500a,, and now thru Nero which was ver 6.028 now upgraded 6.3 i get a power calibration error right as it starts burning !! nothing has been changed except upgrade Nero but does same thing!! burned a cd so i think the drive works ?????????

_
9. July 2004 @ 21:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just to clarify, everything was fine until until you upgraded Nero and since then you keep getting power calibration errors, correct?

Are you running the latest firmware for your drive?

My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33
roryoss
_
10. July 2004 @ 01:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
no i upgraded Nero to see if that would solve it! its a nec 2500A with the firmware that has always been used 1.06 i saw the firmware page and theres a 1.07 but i dont know how to change it!! it seems the drive light stays on longer when i put a disc in and sometimes it freezes Nero!!!
Praetor
_
10. July 2004 @ 15:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A word from the "official" people:
http://www.nero.com/us/632181809668074.html#7

Cheers.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. August 2006 @ 03:55

_
19. July 2004 @ 10:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't know if this applies to you roryoss, but I have a story about Power Calibration errors that might be helpful to someone who has the same problem I did.

I have a Pioneer A06 burner and for a while it was giving me Power Calibration errors when I was using Ritek G04 discs.

To make a long story short, I figured out that it only happened when I burned a DVD-R after I had burned a CD-RW. I burned a Memorex CD-RW and then I would put in a DVD-R to burn a DVD-R. It would give the error. If I rebooted after the CD-RW then the DVD-R would burn fine. I went through this for a month before I finally stopped using the CD-RW's and the problem stopped.

So if anyone gets the Power Calibration Errors and you're burning different types of media, try only doing one of them until you discover if it's a certain type of media that's causing the error.

Wii baby!
PS2 V10 DMS4 EZI Lite Maxtor 120GB HDD - HD Loader 3.0
GC w/green LED mod
M3 w/1GB SDMini & X-ROM2 GBA 512MBit FlashROM
VZW LG VX9800 w/256MB miniSD card
roryoss
_
19. July 2004 @ 18:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that seemed to be part of my problem i still cant transfer files to cdrw but i did get a DVD-R to burn after i burned a cd-r <music> i had burned several several DVD+R but then used a cheaper dvd+Rs and problems started or it cudda been the cdrw's !!
i cannot erase or format a dvd rw or a cdrw in either Nero <latest version> or dvdinfopro!!!!up until those 2 burns the drive didnt even recognize a disk!! i did upgrade the firmware in the drive to 1.07 from NEC!!!!!!!
It starts to format then about 15 seconds later it says completed and ejects the disc!!!!!!!!!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. August 2006 @ 03:55

Oopsla
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
27. July 2004 @ 19:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I must disagree with the "only 2 reasons". The third reason is that dust has collected in the unit. Last week I posted a note saying my dvd unit would burn but not recognize. No answers from you all. This week it gave me the power calibration error. I took it out opened it up and using my compressor blew the hell out of it. It works fine now. Now of course I believed what you wrote and ordered a new dvd unit before I tried this. I will keep it on hold till this unit actually dies.
_
29. July 2004 @ 19:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I must disagree with the "only 2 reasons"
I believe I stated it as "there are two most common causes".
Quote:
Last week I posted a note saying my dvd unit would burn but not recognize. No answers from you all.
I'm sorry you feel slighted by our site whose members all have responsibilities such as jobs and families and come here on their own free time while recieving no monetary compensation. Send complaints to:

idontappreciatefreehelp@afterdawn.com

"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33
Oopsla
_
29. July 2004 @ 20:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Nephilim,

There was no slight towards your words. Don't get in such a huffy. All I was pointing out is that before one assumes it is dead that they open it up and clean it. A point which you did not make. I was trying to be helpful to the readers.
I sent the approximate same message to Nero when they gave me there list of 5 reasons. He thanked me for giving him one more suggestion.

Calm yourself,
Oops

Oopsla
_
30. July 2004 @ 03:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
and on another note. Sure I was hoping some feedback. Even a "dunno" would of been fine. I was just surprised that nobody jumped on it and said something. It has been my experience here that people jump on problem. My remarks were more of surprise then anything else. Pioneer didn't reply either, that didn't surprise me. I decided to tackle the issue which I've always done in the past. (Forgive me for wishing that someone might have had a similar issue that got resolved before I started ripping my computer apart) I was bummed that I had to stab at this blindly, but I was satisfied that I solved the mystery. I got an answer and posted it for others to benefit from. Probably a number of these drives that you say are "dying" are only choked up with dust. Finally get out of the baby pool your making the water yellow. In my spare time I gladly fix other peoples mistakes for free in my area whether it is computer, electrical, household, or whatever so go be pissy somewhere else.
RedAnt
_
30. July 2004 @ 04:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oopsla it's some times hard (or next to impossible) to correctly trouble shoot a malfuntioning drive with out physically seeing the said unit we do the best we can with the info we get.Thats why you should take all advise as it is given as suggestion.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. July 2004 @ 04:54

solo219
Suspended permanently
_
30. July 2004 @ 05:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
to oopsla....... regarding this issue as the saying goes "the proof is in pudding"if you don't know what your talking about ,don't waste your time and energy typing because the fact that you sit home
watching cartoons and getting ideas from the commericals should tell you something.... and big ups my boy red ant......
RedAnt
_
30. July 2004 @ 05:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey solo219 whats up.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
_
30. July 2004 @ 10:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
"Dust can be a factor as well" would've done nicely and stayed on topic with the thread.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. July 2004 @ 10:31

_
31. July 2004 @ 20:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
idontappreciatefreehelp@afterdawn.com
Ummm ... I sent a complaint here the a couple of months ago, and still have not gotten a reply :)

Jason_SSS
_
10. August 2004 @ 19:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What if you updated from 1.05 firmware to 1.18 firmware for a Pioneer 107D and then the power claibration errors start?

I was burning at 6x on Princo's with 1.05 but with 1.18 i wanted to test if I could go to 8x and got calibration errors 17% in both times while burning a 4000mb dvd iso.
_
10. August 2004 @ 19:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I was burning at 6x on Princo's with 1.05 but with 1.18 i wanted to test if I could go to 8x and got calibration errors 17% in both times while burning a 4000mb dvd iso.
Use better media. And burning at 8x isn't better.

Oopsla
_
10. August 2004 @ 20:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Red Ant,

My comments were only meant to ADD to what should be looked at when a unit is failing. Last thing I ever want to do do is throw away a good unit. I'd think everyone would agree with that.

Solo,
I checked out other comments you have made on the board. You are absolutely useless.

Oopsla
ceno82
_
24. September 2004 @ 04:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a pioneer AO6 drive and I'm having the power calibration issue. First the drive wouldn't recognize certain games. Burnout 3 and Dynasty Warriors 4 empires ,so far, to be exact. Now like 2 weeks after I find out some games won't even read on the drive I get that error message. I just got home and was able to burn an image and then when I tried to burn the same image again and I got the power calibration error. I'm using Ritek G4 trying to burn at 4x. Could it be dust becasue I must admit that since I got it (back when 4x was all the rage) I have used it more then any drive Ive ever owned B4 it.
frikoriko
_
12. October 2004 @ 02:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I fixed my calibration error problem. It was doing that with all the Memorex CDRs I had. I then tried burning them at a speed higher than 8x and it worked. 12x and 16x worked fine and everything else would cause the calibration error problem.
I have a NEC 3500A flashed to MadDog and it's brand new so it can't be a dying burner.
ReSpEcT
_
13. October 2004 @ 04:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I do not know if this anything to do with Calibration but I have just backed a couple of DVD's I was using
Nero latest to do Disk Copy, and DVD Santa to burn a Video_TS folder.
Both burns went fine. But when I tried to play them, nothing. One disk is a Arita DVD RW x 2. The other is a Pioneer DVD RW x 2. I cannot open either DVD, and I cannot Erase either of them. When I try to use Nero to Erase them it tells me both disks are not RW. I've had a few coasters in my time, but do not use DVDR disks now until I get it on a RW and then just copy.
Just for your info CDR-W seem OK. In my computer my burner shows up OK as DVDRW Drive E. As soon as I place a DVD in the drive it changes to CD Drive and
nothing shows up in properties
I have had the drive since it came out. Been quite
reliable upto now. Could this be dust on the DVD lens in my Burner. Ihave also heard that people have had problems since loading SP2. I only did this last week.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
roryoss
_
13. October 2004 @ 05:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
if you read my earlier posts you see the problems i had and they seem to be resolved now!!!
i had to reinstall winxp and at the time blew out my dvdrw drive w/air!! had been able to only record with dvd-r and for awhile couldnt do that,could not erase cdrw or dvdrw or transfer files to cdrw!!
now dont know which helped the most but i can now do all these things
havent tried dvd on an rw yet or dvd+r and will wait to try that as long as this other stuff works!!!
ReSpEcT
_
13. October 2004 @ 12:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I check and found Inhave the latest Firmware, official firmware.
I have tried a Pre recorded DVD,works fine
I tried a DVD I burnt from an image last weekend
and that worked fine.
Tried a brand new Arita DVDRW x2 on putting it the drive DVDRW Icon changed to CD only.
I started Nero and did a Disk Check and that showed up OK that it was a RW disk empty.
Could it be just dust, or something more serious.

Please advise
Advertisement
_
__

_
L33TNooB
_
30. November 2004 @ 13:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
After reading the post about cleaing out the drive i simply opened the drived and blew into it and there ya go it works and doesnt give me the power calibration error anymore so that if probly the problem thanx :)

IM A NOOB, DAMN I HATE BEING A NOOB

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > power calibration errors

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork