User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 16:47
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > posts made here don't count towards member level
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Posts made here don't count towards member level
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
5. June 2006 @ 23:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
edit: posted twice sorry!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 6. June 2006 @ 12:13

Advertisement
_
__
_
5. June 2006 @ 23:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@kzm007 - it is case sensitive, ie quote & /quote

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
regor
_
8. June 2006 @ 20:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ahhhh... there's my latte!

thanks very much.

regor

Yuk Yuk... If only I was half cow...
regor
_
22. June 2006 @ 20:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok here goes, I'm going to get this off my chest.

To start I don't give a rats dropping whether I am a hoot or a howl or a newbie or an oldster --so a specific title other than 'senior' (and that doesn't matter either) is not what I am trying to accomplish with this reply. What matters to me is in principle...

You say that the threads associated with 'safety valve' do not warrant any incremental post levels to another 'higher' advancement --to another plateau or realm or status or symbol or achievement or whatever you want to call it. Yet abundant and relevant posts to a technical forum does. I don't think that is right --notice I didn't use the word 'fair'.

Folks join AD to get info primarily. Then when they see what is being offered they may opt to contribute with special interests. It is all noble. In fact AD wouldn't exist otherwise. However opting to contribute to a forum called 'safety valve' with numerous threads of interest is also noble yet now segragated from the rest of AD because of the lack of technical merit. I do not understand that.

If I were to open threads on IPSec or Mobile IP or IPV6 or SSL VPN or Network Behavioral Anomalies or Network Intrusion Detection and get an abundance of interest and make many posts would it count toward my addiction status? If so, why? Those technical topics have nothing to do with DVD's or Copy Rights or Portable Audio Players....

I figure I'm an afterdawn addict, in priciple, merely by being 'addicted' or 'drawn' to AD. You all can clamour over the inconsistencies of that given the 'savety valve' forum is 'non-technical' but you are wrong. IMHO

and by the way I have an extensive technical backgound in many areas - areas not encountered on AD)

and btw2 - I am not seeking a change in status, I'm merely giving you my opinion, wanted or not :)

Regor

regor

Retro_rc
_
11. August 2006 @ 16:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well i suggest two seperate counters one for the member level and another for total
i am having a queue of posts thanks to your 3min limit
even in the saftey valve, they don't even count

1 product review
_
11. August 2006 @ 16:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
25 posts later and you will not be restricted to how often you can post...

regor
_
14. August 2006 @ 20:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
RAILROADS
Does the statement, "We've always done it like that" ring any bells? Read this email to the end; you'll love it!!

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?

Because that's the way they built them in England , and English expatriates built the US Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did "they" use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England , because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England ) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification and wonder what horse's ass came up with it, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back ends of two war horses!

Now, the twist to the story

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs.
The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory at Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains.

The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel.

The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

- And -
You thought being a HORSE'S ASS wasn't important!

regor

pimpmex
Suspended permanently
_
22. September 2006 @ 20:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey can can a moderater tell me how many post i have in safety valve just curios

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. September 2006 @ 20:32

ddp
_
22. September 2006 @ 21:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
do it yourself by doing a search.
regor
_
24. September 2006 @ 18:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
then what happened?

regor

r3dvsblu3
Suspended permanently
_
4. December 2006 @ 16:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nice sig

Why don't they make viruses for macs, Oh yeah they have enough problems already lol! ~quote from domries~

1 product review
_
5. December 2006 @ 04:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nice visit

_
5. December 2006 @ 04:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
just a childish idiot signing up again

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
J_Bone
Suspended permanently
_
7. December 2006 @ 16:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i think posts here should count cause regaurdless of the topic you are still an active member of these forums therefore u are contributing there for drd and the staff is still making green therefore it should count towards our ranks

AfterDawn Addict
_
7. December 2006 @ 17:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
J_Bone

Don't you think you should be around more than 1 month to start asking to change the rules at this place! LMAO

AfterDawn Addict
_
7. December 2006 @ 17:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
garmoon
the amount of posts J_Bone posts in the Safety valve he would be a AfterDawn Addict in 20 days or less..

J_Bone and that was the main reason the posts do not count..
janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
7. December 2006 @ 17:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
See "horses ass" above...who really gives a s*** about post count. I said it before. The worst mistake made at afterdawn was the auto-promote feature..red rag to a bull for all the pointless wa****s who just want to post s*** and get a senior status. Bring back the good old days when it was judged by quality not quantity..

And very often the lower the IQ score and intellectual capacity with the new "addicts"
And in conclusion.. (thanks D..lol)

Not my sig..^^^^^ stolen and used with no permission whatsoever..bite me..*grins*

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. December 2006 @ 17:58

AfterDawn Addict
_
7. December 2006 @ 18:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
janrocks
who are ye posting that to,See "horses ass" above...
janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
7. December 2006 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Do ye think I would call ye a horses ass ireland?..lots of people want and posted after j bone while i was composing that little masterpiece..
It's not my fau;lt that 1..the site is slow tonight...and 2 j_bone is an idiot (jk)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. December 2006 @ 18:05

AfterDawn Addict
_
7. December 2006 @ 18:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
janrocks
reason i asked my post was above yours..
thanks for clearing that up..
_
8. December 2006 @ 04:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
J_Bone is having another week's holiday, this time it's for begging for money in shoutbox. Maybe J_Bone should have his own thread entitled "Posts made here don't count towards usefulness level", how many bannings does it take to shake some sense out. i turned him upside down first and even the crumbs that fell out were hollow

tigmong
_
28. January 2007 @ 12:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Do I still have to wait 3 minutes before I post again? :)
ddp
_
28. January 2007 @ 13:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
as long as you are a newbie than yes
tripplite
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
5. March 2008 @ 23:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
{test}

Advertisement
_
__

_
tripplite
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
5. March 2008 @ 23:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alright am going insane here, if a mod will like to help me that would be great, am at senior level and any post i make in the safety valve is being calculated into my overall count?
should this be happening?
i have tested it and am sure!
did we have a rule change?

am sorry this is probably a mix up, but i'd like to make sure!
-tripplite

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > posts made here don't count towards member level

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork