User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 11:59
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > nintendo gamecube - general discussion > soft-mod tutorial: how to play backups with only sd media launcher + extra info
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Soft-Mod Tutorial: How to play backups with only SD Media Launcher + Extra Info
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Kenohki
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
28. February 2007 @ 08:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Wulfie66:
which version of gcos are you using? are you using 'auto detect' for the region or are you using 'force ntsc'?
1.5, Force NTSC, (Sometime I use Auto detect and it still works)
Advertisement
_
__
_
28. February 2007 @ 08:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfie66:
which version of gcos are you using? are you using 'auto detect' for the region or are you using 'force ntsc'?
1.5, Force NTSC, (Sometime I use Auto detect and it still works)
Hmmm, I'll have to give it a shot, as some games I can only find in PAL format.

ps2 v7 with matrix infinity and 160gb hdd
pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
psp with 3.40oe-a custom firmware
Gamecube with SD Media launcher, SD Gecko, and Action Replay.
_
28. February 2007 @ 09:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I actually haven't tried any PAL games yet....but I will give it a go and post my findings. Is there something different I should expect from running a PAL game?
_
28. February 2007 @ 09:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by graeme123:
I actually haven't tried any PAL games yet....but I will give it a go and post my findings. Is there something different I should expect from running a PAL game?
normally when trying to run a PAL game on an NTSC system, you'll get a black & white rolling screen. There IS an option in gcos that will let you 'force' NTSC although I haven't heard of anyone having any success with it

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
_
28. February 2007 @ 14:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wow...you're right. Just burned and tested Donkey Konga (UK) and it didnt work. That sucks. But oh well, 99% of my isos are NTSC anyways. That still sucks though. And no fix for this?

Nintendo DS Lite w/M3 Simply & 1GB MicroSD
PS2 Slim w/Swap Magic
XBox softmodded
Gamecube w/ SD Media Launcher GCOS 1.x
Kenohki
_
28. February 2007 @ 15:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wow...you're right. Just burned and tested Donkey Konga (UK) and it didnt work. That sucks. But oh well, 99% of my isos are NTSC anyways. That still sucks though. And no fix for this?

Well when I run PAL games on my NTSC, a screen comes up and ask me if I want to run it at 60hz. I say yes and it runs the game... I will take A picture of this and post it, to show it does run...
_
28. February 2007 @ 15:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What are you using? You have it modded? I am using the SD Media Launcher with GCOS v1.x I tried every option to boot the game. PAL and PAL60. Nothing worked. I only tried Donkey Konga though....could it possible that other PAL games may work? I don't know. Not really willing to waste more mini dvd-r's to find out.

Nintendo DS Lite w/M3 Simply & 1GB MicroSD
PS2 Slim w/Swap Magic
XBox softmodded
Gamecube w/ SD Media Launcher GCOS 1.x

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. February 2007 @ 15:59

_
28. February 2007 @ 23:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:

Well when I run PAL games on my NTSC, a screen comes up and ask me if I want to run it at 60hz. I say yes and it runs the game... I will take A picture of this and post it, to show it does run...
eagerly awaiting this picture ;)

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
ttocs230
_
2. March 2007 @ 11:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Mine does that with Mario Kart DD, It's not a backup, and I use Freeloader, but I know of what screen he's talking about, I hit a button and it loads in color.
zurk78
_
12. March 2007 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for this great post.
I have a question: how does this swap thing works on 2 disc games?
I have the orginal Resident Evil 4, and know that you can save at the end of disc 1 (chapter 4-4), but how does it works on games like RE Code Veronica or Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes???
Thanks.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. March 2007 @ 04:37

_
12. March 2007 @ 03:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the latest version of gcos (1.x) supports multi-disc games, when it tells you to swap discs, that's exactly what you do.

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
zurk78
_
12. March 2007 @ 04:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for your quick response!
ttocs230
_
13. March 2007 @ 09:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm still waiting for a guide on how to run emulators and roms using my sd card and not burning them to disk.
_
13. March 2007 @ 15:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

that's what i'm getting for zelda: tp... =/
maybe my cube doesn't have the option.

specs:
drive= 20010608
pot= 225
NTSC
BIOS revision 1.0
DOL-001
bought used from ebgames.
Quote:
I'm still waiting for a guide on how to run emulators and roms using my sd card and not burning them to disk.

SNES GX
that should work. just run it. select load from SDCARD.
you might also want to stop dvd drive to save your laser's life.
-if that doesn't work, it's your sd card. at least that's what this guy says (scroll all the way down). i'll try to get more info possibly...
so far, my sandisk 128MB doesn't work...

/edit: read my other post about snes stuff.

XBuyer's Guide for the Confused and the DS NewcomerZ: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/466339#2829654
jgarces07:The shoulder buttons on my DS (not Lite) are not working. Any advice?
nintenut:This is going to sound a bit odd, but it works, put your lips around the trigger and blow really hard, it works.
bee_cup: My DS Lite L button don't work...
nintenut: Put your mouth on it and blow, gets the dust out, and sounds obscene!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. March 2007 @ 21:52

_
13. March 2007 @ 17:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
looks like your trying to play a PAL game on an NTSC cube, or vice versa.

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
_
13. March 2007 @ 17:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
exactly. this twilight was PAL and i have NTSC... ken says it works... but not for me. T_T

XBuyer's Guide for the Confused and the DS NewcomerZ: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/466339#2829654
nintenut:This is going to sound a bit odd, but it works, put your lips around the trigger and blow really hard, it works.
_
13. March 2007 @ 17:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
did you try the 'force pal' mode on gcos 1.x?

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
_
13. March 2007 @ 17:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yup.

_
13. March 2007 @ 18:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hmmm...no idea then, I only use NTSC images myself for that exact reason. Nobody has been able to PROVE that you can run PAL games on an NTSC system.

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
_
13. March 2007 @ 18:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks!

/edit:
about snes emulation...

ok. i got bahamut lagoon running on the cube now. this method takes some work (cmd, typing, copy/paste), but it works. also, it saves space on the SD (compression when converting).

LOOK HERE.

now that part about making the initial .dol to load other roms only appies to roms burnt on dvds... so... the workaround is just repeating the initial .dol making step[under "setup and installation"] but for a different rom. so now i have chrontrig.dol(chrono trigger), bahlag.dol(bahamut lagoon), and mmx.dol(megaman x) all running on the grandson of the snes.

tips:
short names are good since you won't have to type as much. (mmx as opposed to megaman x)
L+Z trigger brings you back to the menu.
'PSO/SD restart' will bring you back to the startup menu so you can select different .dol's [such as when you want to play another game...]

does anyone know how to make command patch/compile all the games at once?
besides typing:
sgxi.exe rom.smc rom.dol & sgxi.exe rom2.smc rom2.dol & etc...
the "&" is helpfl for performing different commands, not the same one over and over...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. March 2007 @ 21:55

cybrspwn
_
18. March 2007 @ 14:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is it absolutely necessary to change the pot or is it optional btw i hav a PAL gamecube and i wanna play NTSC and PAL games backups and originals
example i hav PAL originals and NTSC and PAL backups
_
18. March 2007 @ 18:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
it is absolutely necessary if you can't get the backups working(as in: you need to adjust the laser to make it stronger, thus enabling the reading of dvd-r).
it is not if the backups work(the laser would be strrong enough in this case).
more likely than not, it is the first one.
most people say 170-200 is a good range for the POT; it is also true that they say the lower the laser, the stronger the beam and the shorter the laser's life, so i have it working at ~370 from 450(before mod). i'm not sure if such a high number is acceptable, but i tested it at 200 and went up just to see how little i had to change.

does anyone know if such a "high" number would be bad for the cube?

-----------------

no one has presented concrete 'proof/working methods' of pal>ntsc or ntsc>pal.

i suppose my gamecube just doesn't support it. others too...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. March 2007 @ 18:53

_
18. March 2007 @ 19:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you have your laser set to 370?! if that's the case, I'd have to say your laser is pretty much on it's last leg.

pioneer a05 dvd-rw
Nero Burning Rom
Windows XP Pro
_
18. March 2007 @ 19:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the higher it is, the lower the output, right? it was originally 450 and they say 170-200 is the range to get backups working, so, in theory, if i can get backups working at a level closer to what i was originally(450->370), is that not a good thing?

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
18. March 2007 @ 20:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the higher it is, the lower the output, right? it was originally 450 and they say 170-200 is the range to get backups working, so, in theory, if i can get backups working at a level closer to what i was originally(450->370), is that not a good thing?

Originally posted by Kenohki (where is this guy???):
NOTE: Lower the number stronger the Laser
NOTE: The average for most system is 200 ohms
NOTE: The lower the Ohms, The lower the life of your laser

i have "higher" ohms... so "higher" life expectancy?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. March 2007 @ 20:01

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > nintendo gamecube - general discussion > soft-mod tutorial: how to play backups with only sd media launcher + extra info

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork