User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 20:57
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > pc hardware sales and good deals (retail or online sales not personal sales) ....
Show topics

Forums
Forums
PC hardware sales and good deals (RETAIL or ONLINE sales NOT personal sales) ....
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. July 2008 @ 07:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
lol wel met. I have actually owned four DVD burners in my time, but they've burned less than a dozen DVDs between them, and that's how I like it... :)

OcUK will take RMAs when pushed but it usually means "i want to return x product" "we can't take those, you have to speak to the manufacturer" "It's UK business law to offer a 12 month retail warranty, as quoted... " "Oh, OK then..."
I get the distinct feeling OcuK prioritise their 'regular customers' so to speak, but the average users get left out somewhat.

I ran COD4 at 2560x1600 all maxed, 4xAA, 16xAF when I had crossfire, and got between 45 and 100fps in the section 'Game Over'. Given the performance of the HD4850, that looks like the sort of performance that can be expected.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
16. July 2008 @ 10:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Rob, think of it this way. Even with all your discussion about DVD burners, the performance gap between a average one and the best one is NOT THAT MUCH.

Now some of us like playing games. That's why we talk about GPUs. The performance gap between older GPUs and newer GPUs is HUGE, and helps feed our addiction.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. July 2008 @ 11:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by abuzar1:
Rob, think of it this way. Even with all your discussion about DVD burners, the performance gap between a average one and the best one is NOT THAT MUCH.

Now some of us like playing games. That's why we talk about GPUs. The performance gap between older GPUs and newer GPUs is HUGE, and helps feed our addiction.
first of all the difference in the so called best burner (plextor 710)and a average one there is a big difference in performance.
second there has only been 2 threads that have talked about drives. the one greensman started and the scan thread i started. we dont go all over every other thread and talk tem up.
third its just like everything else in the PC world a week after one so called great product is released another is right behind it.
fourth i didnt mean that as a slam at you guys. i just dont understand the importance of every thread has to wind up being about GPU's thats all. i know you guys like the games thats understandable, but every thread ya go in gets drawn towards GPU's
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. July 2008 @ 12:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
rob, dont take it personally, i certainly didnt, it was ajoke about how much u lot love ur DVD burners, that how we love our gfx cards :P

as i said, to me games for computers is pretty much the only reason why i build computers, not to encode or photoshop etc. its why i have a dual core or quad, why i bought a new monitor why i buy new graphics cards every 4 motnhs rather then upgrading ht mobo or cpu or ODD ever few months. (thtas one of the reasons i always talk about it, becuase i am constantly upgrading mine, and they are, to ME, the most important part for MY needs :) )

MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
16. July 2008 @ 12:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Rob, I didn't take it as a slam or anything. Plus, my laptops DVD drive burns my Xbox 360 games just fine, so I dont care as long as it works!
proxyRAX
_
19. July 2008 @ 08:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDet...ductCode=316510

I am probably going to buy this instead of the Corsair 650TX.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. July 2008 @ 08:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just an FYI, in testing that very PSU shut down at only 750W, it can't deliver any more. The Corsair 650W TX incidentally, can also manage about 720-730W. The OCZ is 10x as noisy as the Corsair, three times the cost, and probably less reliable.

http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-650w-.../206178324.html

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
proxyRAX
_
19. July 2008 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There is a rebate for the other one, and it is $5 cheaper. Can you point me to the place where it says it shuts down, cause all I find are good reviews.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. July 2008 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ah, my mistake it was the GameXStream 1KW not the ProXStream:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0NSwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
The comments about the frankly absurd noise level of the ProXStream are still valid, however.

That's a stonking rebate on that PSU. I hope it comes from OCZ not ZZF though, because if I remember rightly, ZZR seem pretty poor for rebates.

Originally posted by HardOPCP:
The ProXStream 1000w was at all times during testing a loud power supply on the order of a PC Power and Cooling Turbocool for those readers who are familiar with their acoustic profile. Even at 25% load the unit was audible from a number of feet away from the unit and by 50% it was rivaling the SM-8800 which runs in the 50dBa+ range. In a subjective evaluation at 80% loads and above the unit was exceptionally unpleasant to be in the same room with it running and it completely drowned out the SM-8800.
Originally posted by SilentPCreview on the TX650W:
Its voltage regulation is excellent, its acoustics very quiet, and its efficiency very good. The AC ripple on the 12V is bit higher (only at full power) than we've seen from Corsair models in the past, but still within the ATX12V spec. Corsair's five year warranty remains the longest for any computer power supply we know of. It sits nicely along with the HX520 and HX620 models, which it essentially matches for acoustics.

updated 10-Dec-13

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. July 2008 @ 09:19

proxyRAX
_
19. July 2008 @ 09:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Interesting. I guess I will think about it. People seem a bit to sensitive about the noise level thing, it is not like you plug your headphones into the power supply...

I'll go see if anyone put up the decibels of it and decide. Seems like a good deal though. Anyway, I will think about it. Corsair does seem more reliable.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. July 2008 @ 09:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
From what I can gather, the Corsair TX is under 23dB for all normal loads (i.e. any PC with a single standard graphics card, overclocked quad core processor included) which is about as quietly as its possible to whisper. The OCZ is around the mid thirties which is about as loud as most CPU coolers at full speed, during the same scenario. Push it hard (dual or triple graphics, the works) and the TX runs about this noise level, the OCZ is about as loud as one of those rechargable vacuum cleaners when fully charged, perhaps a bit louder.

updated 10-Dec-13
proxyRAX
_
19. July 2008 @ 13:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ew. Dunno how a rechargeable vacuum cleaner sounds like, but...vacuum? Damn. Corsair it is then.
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. July 2008 @ 13:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To bad Sammy doesn't live here. :) I found the perfect psu for him and his usual needs.. ;)

FSP 400W

NOT to much power and plenty quiet!!! :D

....gm

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. July 2008 @ 13:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Not too shabby, but fanless PSUs get HOT. I know someone who had a 300W fanless PSU with a huge heatsink out the back and that made fifty degrees or so. That's a 400W unit without a big chunky heatsink...

updated 10-Dec-13
REAM
Suspended permanently
_
21. July 2008 @ 22:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 05:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cheap, but is the top end OCZ stuff that good in 2GB modules?

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 06:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
STAY AWAY from OCZ Platinum. That stuff is horrible. I've had 6 sticks fail...
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 07:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
guess that's a no then... :P

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 12:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good guess lol.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. July 2008 @ 13:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
WOOHOOOO im back BABY :)

BTW boozer, i dunno if it a batch or america problem, but i have had HUNDREDS to say the least of OCZ stuff for customers, and whole forums, and i an recomends ALTO of them with no fails, and they clock amazingly.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 14:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
From what I read most of the OCZ stuff is alright, but not the Platinums.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. July 2008 @ 14:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i have only had experiance with and know peopel with platinums (most are PC6400 4x2GB) OR 2x1GB

MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 14:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Exactly, PC6400 is the 'safe stuff' - it's a lot harder to make PC8500 memory that works, as it requires a good overclocking set of chips. Crucial messed this up royally.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. July 2008 @ 15:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well my 444 12 pc6400 clocks to 555 15 pc8500, and so does the OCZ 444 12 stuff.

and if it doesnt reach the reated speed of 8500 (for 8500 ocz plats) then RMA, as that the reason you bought it. and for £70 you really cant go wrong.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. July 2008 @ 15:13

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. July 2008 @ 15:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Each to their own, I'd sooner wait for these to arrive myself:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qui...NavigationKey=0
£11.35 extra but with all the reports of dodgy 8500 RAM going around, if I was buying it, I'd go with the one company who can be trusted to get it right...

updated 10-Dec-13

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > pc hardware sales and good deals (retail or online sales not personal sales) ....

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork