User User name Password  

Wednesday 29.5.2024 / 03:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > request for all regular users of our forums
Show topics

Forums
Forums

Request for all regular users of our forums
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
10. August 2005 @ 06:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi everyone,

I just ran across this thread and was impressed with how everyone can express themselves in a mature manner. A thread in which fastfrank posted made me re-think how I reply to posts. Personally I have not been a 'victim' of text lashing but have read many posts that were ummm...abrasive if taken wrong. Like all that have come here at some point in time we were clueless as how to the forum works, personalities, info that was helpful vs. rubbish, etc. In so little time I have learned alot and address all in a cordial manner especially with the multiposting,. I know its not my duty but considering the massive amount of posts in some small manner it points the newbies in the right direction to get the answer/ help they seek. Sometimes I 'peek over the senior, addict, mods shoulders to see what i can learn but as with anything it takes time and sticking around to see that is where you get your bread and butter. The newer folks don't seem to get that concept. I feel if you take the time to reply to a thread then take time to encourage them to use the search function or read the forum rules. As many have said in this thread the manner in how you reply to a post is not meant to humiliate but is taken as such. I always put myself in their shoes and try to maintain the attitude that I am addressing an adult (I would hope most are at least 18) so they get the feeling that it might be good to stick around. Heck some might even have info that would be helpful to the forum. All in all thank you all for taking time from your personal lives to help folks like myself and in keeping with the AD spirit as long as I am able to give back and make a postive contribution. Everyone keep up the great work.

Also would like to thank kivory, creaky, brobear, rotary and the rest of the regulars who are very helpful when they ccould have turned their back. Almost forgot bbmayo for the excellent guides that I regularly refer to if I get a brain cramp. Oh while I'm at it mort81, arniebear thanks to you guys too. Oh I forgot flip, neph, dela, (I always get a kick out of their posts) they keep it together well wth some of the attitudes that appear on a daily basis here.

*forgot to thank scubapete but don't see him around much.

to burn or not to burn that is the question

need help w/ media read this http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. August 2005 @ 06:31

Advertisement
_
__
_
10. August 2005 @ 06:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@matt72 - nice post. thanks for the kind words, and you know i'm always glad of your help around the Nero area and you're doing good too. also you always do something that i rarely do (i just charge in and dissect the content i'm afraid), you say hi and welcome whenever you start a reply to posts.
Keep up the good work and hopefully your workplace will be more forgiving for you using forums at work. it's all research at the end of the day, it's not like we're spending hours looking at sports scores or whatever :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. August 2005 @ 06:43

_
10. August 2005 @ 06:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
you say hi and welcome whenever you start a reply to posts.

thanks creaky that is due as I stated from a post where I as well as a few others replied and after reading it I would have felt belittled as well( fastfrank made the point of we were wrong in the sense of how we responded). Also by starting out like that gives the newer folks the feel that someone is trying to help them...not try to embarass them. Sometimes being cordial and asking the usual questions can get directly to the problem and for the more experienced folks that drop in it gives them the scenario of what is going on so they don't have to start from scratch. For example I simply watched the replies you and a few others posted regarding Nero logs, took the info and ran with it trying to sort the minor stuff out to save you guys some time. In trying to keep the peace and the relatively good nature of AD alive and well I feel alot beter knowing that i helped in some way. Heck I even browse through the newbie and advanced forums answering what is within the scope of my knowledge/ research (damn web blocking son of a **%******** here at work). Doing ok over there so far as most questions could be found with the search function but I keep my replies simple enough where I don't entice folks to try something that looks right but is wrong and mess something else up. I even found someone that was able to help me with graphic designs..go figure he can answer everything about graphics but can't remember the location he ripped a movie with DVD Decrypter :))

to burn or not to burn that is the question

need help w/ media read this http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
NEIL1712
Suspended permanently
_
11. August 2005 @ 10:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Removed

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 11. August 2005 @ 16:04

_
11. August 2005 @ 10:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Irrelevant post..

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
ddp
_
11. August 2005 @ 10:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
goodbye spammer neil!!! do you hear the approaching thunder??
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. August 2005 @ 11:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Did someone report this guy yet? ddp?

Gif by Phantom69

ddp
_
11. August 2005 @ 11:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i didn't as creaky was here before me!
_
11. August 2005 @ 11:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
oops sorry guys i didn't report it, i was just clearing the runway for one of you to call in the thunder

ddp
_
11. August 2005 @ 12:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i'll report than if you hadn't yet
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. August 2005 @ 12:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just been out in my mates new R-Type Honda Civic. NICE!

Gif by Phantom69

andmerr
Suspended permanently
_
11. August 2005 @ 13:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ NEIL1712: you lying pice of do do.I entered 54 of these so called surveys and never won anything or got paid, wonder if it had something to do with me not being a resident of the states

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
11. August 2005 @ 23:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nope, you just get more spam if you're a resident. LOL

'Brobear'

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. August 2005 @ 00:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bye bye baby, baby good, bye baby, baby, bye bye!

Bay city Rollers, very apt me thinks!

Pulsar

Gif by Phantom69

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
12. August 2005 @ 00:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Be gentle, remember what the thread is all about. LOL But then, the bossman said he didn't like spammers either.

'Brobear'

_
15. August 2005 @ 14:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Funny thread! Most popular forums have a certain amount questions that come round like, a merry go round. The way you have to think of it is this. Afterdawn is funded in part/whole by adverts these adverts are inserted and viewed by all these newbies and other persons replying.

Without topics being repeated this forum might lose revenue from a drop in posting. I cant really see much of a problem because its always nice to have fresh look at old problems this is how new solutions are proposed and technics improved.

And one last thing! As the forum membership grows in size with new members. The older members may be sick of the "which is the best dvd converter" question, but to the newer members here wont have much of a problem filling in the blanks thus keeping the forum continuing to grow. Or could i be wrong!
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
15. August 2005 @ 15:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Now you've gone and got all serious and philosophical, bordering on the melodramatic. We were just kidding about a spammer. The adverts that are paid for I guess we must suffer through for the sake of the site. But those characters trying to sell us time shares and wonder hair tonics can take the leap.

LOL I feel an editorial coming on. ;)

Most of the people that have been around for a bit don't mind answering questions for the newbies. But when things have been repeated a few hundred times, they shouldn't have too much trouble finding an answer by using search. I've seen people start new threads and have one next to it with the same question and the same answer. In fact on occasion I've advised some to check out a certain thread because it had already done such a good job of describing a particular task. We want the newbies and we don't want to jump on them. So, there are enough threads so older members can answer something different if we don't want to keep repeating ourselves. I just tire of people posting so they can run up a post count.

I remember what it was like to be a newbie. I came on the forum and one of the Senior members thought it necessary to jump on every post I made. Sort of set him on fire that a newb could post in his thread. Some newbies are only fresh faces to the forum, but not to recording work with a PC.

I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they start acting foolish, newbie or addict. My pet peeve is when I try to help someone and then they say, "oh thanks, I knew that". If they knew, why ask. I've actually seen people ask a question and then answer it, just so they could post and look good in their own eyes.

Newbies and even addicts run the gamut from being serious and trying to help to being showboaters and making a nuisance of themselves. Seems there has been a change over the past year to where people try to see how much they can post as opposed to how many posts they can make that are helpful. I've been guilty of making a few nonsense posts, but the majority of posts have been in threads where I've made serious contributions. It's okay to keep things light, but it has to get back on track.

Forums have to do 2 things in particular to survive and thrive. First there has to be an atmosphere conducive to learning where the newbies can gather info they're looking for. Second there has to be a pleasant enough atmosphere to keep knowledgable members around that can impart what they know to those needing the info. It has to be a give and take among the members and newbies and senior members have to respect each other. After all, those of us who know a little about what we're doing didn't always have that knowledge. Even the smartest members started somewhere, they weren't born with the knowledge they have. Even as an Addict, there are still things I want to learn. Don't tell anybody I don't know it all. LOL I won't admit it. ;)

Back to one of my pet peeves, angry people. I've actually seen people who act like it hurts them to help someone. Then there are those who get angry because they think they've not received the help they think they deserve. This is a free forum and those who try to help should be doing it because they want to and like to. Likewise, those who ask shouldn't get angry if they don't always get the help they need, they're not paying for anything. So, as long as it can be entertaining, fun and a learning experience things will go nicely.

'Brobear'

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
15. August 2005 @ 15:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hmmm... Did I write all that? LOL

'Brobear'

ddp
_
15. August 2005 @ 17:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yes, thought you would never stop!!
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
15. August 2005 @ 17:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Let's see... Now where does that comment fit into the scheme of things? ;)

'Brobear'

_
16. August 2005 @ 04:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well put Brobear, has covered all angles there.
Quote:
LOL I feel an editorial coming on. ;)
- 'twas quite a short post from you this time :)

brobear
Suspended permanently
_
16. August 2005 @ 08:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
- 'twas quite a short post from you this time

Thank you Creaky, seems some don't realize when I'm really being verbose. ;)

'Brobear'

stan1
_
16. August 2005 @ 14:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Since we no longer have a contact of any kind at 321, how do we go about activating the software we currently own if we move it to another computer? I have the "Perfectly Legal" programs DVD Xmaker and Xshow as well as Xcopy. They ALL require activation codes.

Anyone know how to activate the products off line?

its making me crazy? should i just throw it away?? thanks
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
16. August 2005 @ 14:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You need to click the link at the bottom to access the XCopy Forum. This isn't it and they have pretty strict rules about XCopy discussions. Last I checked, http://www.dvdxcopy.com was still there and accessible for those who were registered before 321 Studios went bankrupt. For those who purchased from DVDXCopy-International, I hear there is a problem contacting them now and the site doesn't seem to be working. You could check the Contact and Support links at http://www.dvdxcopy-international.com if you purchased there. You can check with NYC Software, they had a reactivation patch, but I'm not sure what that was all about. http://www.nycsoftware.com

'Brobear'

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. August 2005 @ 14:52

Advertisement
_
__

_
logitechp
_
16. August 2005 @ 20:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Post removed by Mod. Post in the appropriate forum

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. August 2005 @ 20:19

This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.

afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > request for all regular users of our forums

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork