User User name Password  

Saturday 8.6.2024 / 16:51
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > playing .avi files on an xbox 360 elite - christmas gift for a friend - please help
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Playing .avi files on an Xbox 360 Elite - Christmas Gift for a Friend - Please Help
  Jump to:

Posted Message
jpersonette11
_
23. December 2012 @ 13:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi there,

I'm a newbie, but have tried to do my own research & tests before coming here to post a question. But I have run into some snags, and don't know where to go from here.

My friend plays .avi files through her tv, but only has her laptop to do so. So when her latop is connected to her tv via HDMI, she can't sit back and use her laptop to do work/personal stuff.

I just realized though (don't laugh), that her xbox (that I bought as a gift) has more capabilities than just playing video games. Hence playing videos, .avi files, and thas a 250HD built in.

For xmas, I want to get her xbox set-up so that she could play a movie immediately without her laptop. She has all her files on a larger Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB portable hard drive, so I first tried one of the front USB ports on the Xbox. It didn't recognize it, and then I checked the format. It was NTFS, and I have read that it will never read NTFS. I tried to re-format the hard drive to FAT32, but that didn't work either.

I also then learned that (even if it was in the right format) that an xbox only reads flash drives NO LARGER than 32gb. Is that true?

If so, I grabbed a flash/usb drive her, checked the format, and it read FAT32. I then put that into the system to see if it would read. Which it did.

But when I tried to play the file, the system mentioned I needed to update the system first. It ran a complete update, re-booted, and then ran a much longer update. When finished, I have a whole new xbox dashboard.

My problem, is I can't find the option to "click on a portable drive" and see the .avi file that I could see before the update. On top of that, my flash drive now only blinks for 2 seconds when I connect it to the xbox, and then goes dark. Almost like it doesn't recognize or give it connection anymore. Which is strange.

I re-checked the formatting, and it is still set at FAT32, so I am confused. I almost wonder if the "new updates my xbox received" has in fact taken away the ability to play external .avi files or or read other data.

So this is when I needed to come to this community for help! So if there is any help, advice, or suggestions you have...that would be great.

Do I have the right xbox dashboard?
DO we think it's not reading my drives anymore?
What devices or formats can actually be read?
How large can an external HD (flash/portable) be?
How do I just transfer .avi files to the xbox HD to keep the data there?

Thanks to all of you in advance.
Jp
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. December 2012 @ 15:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I use a 1 TB harddrive for that, formatted in Fat32. The onboard tools in Windows won't do the formatting, but any partitioning tool will (don't worry, Windows still recognizes it). My Xbox 360 recognizes it and I can play video files (avi is just a container format, that normally contains divx or xvid files). Also the update you need isn't a dashboard update, but the media update. Your friend's console has to be online and signed in to Xbox Live to get it. It cannot be downloaded anywhere else and then be placed on the harddrive or something.
It also isn't possible to transfer video files to the Xbox 360's internal harddrive.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. December 2012 @ 15:12

tongs007
_
24. December 2012 @ 15:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
paragon partition manager is a good one for taking ntfs to fat32, really fast and easy
edit....Do I have the right xbox dashboard?
DO we think it's not reading my drives anymore?
What devices or formats can actually be read?
How large can an external HD (flash/portable) be?
How do I just transfer .avi files to the xbox HD to keep the data there?

Thanks to all of you in advance.
Jp
there should be no reason that its not working unless the usb slot is damaged

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. December 2012 @ 15:27

jpersonette11
_
24. December 2012 @ 15:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks to both of you.

So it sounds like using a larger hardrive isn't a problem.
I want to use the Seagate free agent GoFlex 1.5tb that we already have.
That shouldn't be a problem then, right?

As for the updates, I never know which updates are happening, but I am connected to Xbox live.
I messed around a ton last night, and the best I could due is to stream movies thru windows media player.
Still cool, but certain files arent seen.

I did configure a 4gb flash drive yesterday thru the Xbox, but then I couldn't use it in my laptop. I am also realizing that its to save games, gamertags, and profiles. We aren't trying to do any of that, but rather bring movies or music to the tv.
The USB ports seem to work, because it noticed everything before the updates that was on it, and it still turns the flash drive on for about 10 seconds before it stops blinking. Any thoughts?

The reason you are both so helpful, is that I bought a WD live tv hub 1tb...for this very purpose.
But she already has apps and such on her tv. So the only thing we were going to use it for was the hardrive.
Then I notice the Xbox again, and think...thetes my easier, simplier, and already connected device.

This seagate hardrive has 500gb of files (personal and work) so let me know if that is going to be a problem .
As I mentioned. I am going to try and set everything up in 20 minutes, so if you get this, and have any other thoughts...thatt would be great. Merry christams. Jp
HomerV
_
3. January 2013 @ 15:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Using a large HDD should be no problem. Just have to make sure it's in FAT32 format. Like the others have said, do not use the Xbox itself as your means of formatting your HDD. Use a program on your PC to do so.

As for what kinds of movie formats can be viewed, that is always a hit & miss for me. Just because it's in AVI format, does not necessarily means that it will play it. And unfortunately, outside of modifying your Xbox, you're not going to be able to put any movies on to the attached HDD that comes with the Xbox and be able to browse it.

Once you have your HDD formatted and files placed on your HDD, you should be able to go to apps and I believe there is a box for some sort of Xbox media player and you can find your files there.
Letsdothis
_
10. January 2013 @ 16:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I use a 32gig flash drive for movies on xbox 360 no problem, formatted fat32, put the drive in xbox then scroll to browse my apps then xbox video player then portable drive, it plays my .avi and .mp4 files no problem but they have to be 2 channel audio if the file has ie 6ch audio the 360 won't play it, It also still works in my PC iam always swapping stuff round on it, it will play hd divx but not in a good quality, overall it's a nice touch as an extra, I use a 32gig integral neon flash only £12 on amazon and comes all ready no formatting needed :)
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. January 2013 @ 13:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
2@ Letsdothis
You little beauty no wonder my avi's wouldn't bloody play

@ jpersonette11
You may be able to set the xbox to auto download the required update if you sign into xbox live from the pc & search for optional media update

You can also download the update to pc & place it on a usb thumb drive for offline install

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/...em-updates-info

AfterDawn Addict
_
28. January 2013 @ 13:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by scorpNZ:

You can also download the update to pc & place it on a usb thumb drive for offline install

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/...em-updates-info

No, you can't. Again, you need the media update, not a dashboard update. With a dashboard update, you can go that way, the media update has to be downloaded from Xbox Live.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
megadunderhead
_
4. May 2013 @ 02:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yea the media update is needed but your seagate might still not work because very few devices still support seagate because they crash and burn i would recommend a western digital more reliable drive
tongs007
_
4. May 2013 @ 13:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
yea the media update is needed but your seagate might still not work because very few devices still support seagate because they crash and burn i would recommend a western digital more reliable drive
the xbox does support seagate as i have one and can hook it up to the xbox, the xbox will support any external hdd/ thumbdrive/ sd cards in a usb stick as long as its fat 32 format.
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
4. May 2013 @ 17:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
whats the point of dredging up yet another inactive 4 mth old thread with nonsense advice

Related links
Download Xbox 360 trailers from AfterDawn's gaming site

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
Microsoft finally discontinues Xbox 360 1 22. April 2016 News comments
Motorola unveils new series of Moto 360 smartwatches 2 5. September 2015 News comments
Microsoft makes 'Forza Horizon 2: Presents Fast & Furious' free for Xbox One, Xbox 360 7 31. March 2015 News comments
Moto 360 coming soon in gold and with a new leather band? 1 1. November 2014 News comments
Buying 'Destiny' for PS3, Xbox 360? Bungie giving vouchers to upgrade to current gen for free 1 8. September 2014 News comments
Best Buy leaks Motorola Moto 360 price, specs, features 1 18. August 2014 News comments
Google shows off prototypes of Moto 360 and LG G Watch 4 4. June 2014 News comments
Xbox 360 FLASH MOD HELP 6 2. June 2014 Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking
Dismantled my 360 to repair Disk Drive - Now Controllers won't sync (wired & wireless) 3 1. June 2014 Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking
Have 60GB hard drive on original 360, can put bigger hard drive in 60GB casing? 8 10. May 2014 Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > playing .avi files on an xbox 360 elite - christmas gift for a friend - please help

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork