User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 16:48
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > audio > converting a danish dts audio format to ac3
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Converting a Danish DTS audio format to AC3
  Jump to:

Posted Message
whftherb
_
30. March 2014 @ 18:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a movie which is in a .mkv file. The specs show the audio stream signal is entitled: "Danish DTS 5.1 Channel 1510 kbps". I took this movie on a USB drive and plugged it directly into my HD TV which has a USB port and the facility to play many different video/audio formats. The video is perfect. But the TV reports that the "Audio is in an unsupported format". And in fact there is no audio nor is there subtitles. The movie plays vid and audio on my computer with VLC which does play the subs.

Do I have a chance at just converting only the audio to some other compatible format like "AC3"? How would I do that?

Hoib

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. March 2014 @ 18:08

Advertisement
_
__
_
30. March 2014 @ 18:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You can, but it requires a lot of work, and it is not for novices.

You will have to first demux the video and audio tracks( separate them). then use a encoder to recode the dts track to ac3. Then you have to remux them together(put them back together) making sure that the audio track syncs up.

Playstation 2-Free McBoot,HDloader 8.0c,Open PS2 Loader 0.7,80gb Maxtor HDD,SMS Media Player,PGen,SNES Station- Installed
GameCube-SDload,SD Card Adapter,BBA Adapter,2 Color Case,GnuboyGX,MPlayer- Installed
whftherb
_
30. March 2014 @ 19:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by keebles:
You can, but it requires a lot of work, and it is not for novices.

You will have to first demux the video and audio tracks( separate them). then use a encoder to recode the dts track to ac3. Then you have to remux them together(put them back together) making sure that the audio track syncs up.
Interesting...

OK, I just searched around a bit more and found that VLC has some converting capabilities. Am I barking up the wrong tree with that?

Thanks very much for your input.

H

Hoib

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. March 2014 @ 19:03

AfterDawn Addict
_
31. March 2014 @ 08:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
VLC re-encodes the video - I wouldn't.
As keebles said, it is tricky the first time, but you can handle it.

Open the MKV file and extract the DTS audio using MKVcleaver.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVcleaver

Run 'DaudioK' load the DTS file.
Set ouput format as ac3.
When prompted to 'play' the dts file, click 'yes'.(don't check the 'don't ask me...' box)
and 'convert' the DTS audio to AC3.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DAudioK

Open/drag the original MKV file in MKVmerge (part of MKVtoolnix package).
Open/drag the new ac3 file.
Uncheck the box for the dts stream in the lower window.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

whftherb
_
31. March 2014 @ 09:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Most generous of you both to help me out with this. You've given me a great head start. Let me get to it then and I'll try to post back with results.

H

Later in the day: Worked perfectly. Now I have another skill I can use. Fortunately, I have partners here who make instructions clear and easy to follow. This was not hard at all, once you had the "script" down.

Easy-Peazy....

Thanks again.

H

Hoib

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2014 @ 18:56

Advertisement
_
__

_
shmaun
_
30. April 2014 @ 14:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just came across this while looking how to convert True HD to AC3 and thought I'd mention an easier way to convert DTS to AC3.

Just google mkv2ac3. It's a piece of software and the only thing it does it convert a .mkv with DTS to a .mkv with AC3. Drag and drop your file, check the settings, click go and that's it.
Related links
Download the latest AC3 Filter from here. It's 100% freeware and you need it in order to play 5.1 DivX movies!

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
how to convert 2 channel ac3 to 6 channel 1 8. June 2014 Audio
DTS to AC3 5.1 10 18. October 2012 Convert DVD to another format
Getting AC3 to play in WMP 12 15. September 2012 Windows - Software discussion
Trying to properly watch a AC3 Dolby Digital, 5.1 film using 2.1 speakers 1 18. June 2012 Video playback problems
m2ts to x264+AC3 7 13. May 2012 Convert video to another format
convert AVCHD with TrueHD/AC3 for portable devices 1 8. May 2012 Convert video to another format
TS with ac3, 5.1 on the ps3 with real 5.1? 1 16. January 2012 PS3 - Modding & Hacking
Help Applying Dynamic Range Compression to AC3 File 1 14. September 2011 Audio
avi with ac3 2 22. August 2011 Video - Everything else

afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > audio > converting a danish dts audio format to ac3

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork