User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 04:51
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > divx / xvid > divx xvid cropping, really need help
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Divx Xvid cropping, really need help
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
17. February 2011 @ 19:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I really need help on this one. Cropping divx or xvid files. I have read discussions here and many other sources, and still nothing has worked. I have probably tried at least 10 programs which included VirtualDub, MediaCodec, Mpeg4 Modifier, and a bunch of rippers with presets on them. MediaCoder, the latest 2011 is very easy to manual crop with but, when I use this there is never video in the output file. Yet, if I don?t use crop in MediaCoder, the video file output is always just fine. I like Virtualdub as it is fast and gives good results, but doesn?t really seem to crop at all.

I belong to one of those download Movie clubs and have downloaded dozens of movies that are DVDRips, BDrips, Divx, XVid, whatever. I get the subtitles and put them in the same file as the movie. I change the movie extension to .avi and run AVIAddXsubs with the .srt subs and everything works great when I play them through my Home Theater Phillips HTS337D by putting them on a USB stick or through Divx Plus Player on my computer. I get nice movies and great subtitles.

Now, to the real problem. My HDTV is a brand new model, a Vizio M260VA that is supposed to be progressive scan capable through HDMI. I have the TV output HDMI going to my Philips
HTS 3371D Home Theater System. The Home Theatre remote has a fit to screen button which never works at all. That is because on the TV menu, progressive scan is blanked out and I have yet to know why or get an answer from Philips.

On the TV, I have Normal, Wide, Panoramic, Stretch, and Zoom picture mode. On the home theater is 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, zoom modes. And of course the one I really need which is the remote fit to screen that does not work. If this worked, I would be happy.

So, I am very unhappy because I just hate black bars above and below my movie being played, or it zoomed to much as in the case of the home theater zoom number two which is way too much zoom which stretches the pixel image to a little blurry on the screen. My HDTV native resolution is 1366 / 720. I realize wide screen specification of the ratio 1.77

So, I want a program and help on settings for cropping my movies to fit my screen as close as possible. I realize by cropping I am missing some outside portions of the movies such as cropping a photograph. But, I don?t care about that.

Now, here is another problem. When I take any movie I download from my movie site which is divx or xvid and change the extension to .avi it always works in AVIAddXsubs when adding the subtitles to make a divx or xvid embedded subtitle file. Yet every program I have used to try and crop or change these files after done, it doesn?t keep the embedded subtitles. And, also when trying to enter subs again, I get the message through AVIAddXSubs it is not a AVI File, no AVI mark.

I have spent days and days and hours trying to figure this out. I am wondering if you literally have to change the divx or xvid file back to an avi file. Then crop the avi file. Then again compress the file using divx or xvid codec. I even tried the program by iorgsoft called AVCHD exclusively for video cropping. Didn?t crop correctly and painfully slow.

Any help appreciated. Dennis
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. February 2011 @ 21:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Now, here is another problem. When I take any movie I download from my movie site which is divx or xvid and change the extension to .avi it always works in AVIAddXsubs when adding the subtitles to make a divx or xvid embedded subtitle file. Yet every program I have used to try and crop or change these files after done, it doesn?t keep the embedded subtitles. And, also when trying to enter subs again, I get the message through AVIAddXSubs it is not a AVI File, no AVI mark.
AviAddXSubs does not embed the subtitles (they are not hard coded).
The subs are another stream that is muxed (like the audio and the video).
Trismegis
_
18. February 2011 @ 15:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
StaxRip is the best DivX/XviD encoding front-end I have found. It will crop the video in the encoding process. However, it usually (via VOBSUB Ripper Wizard) outputs the subs to a separate SUB/IDX file(s). SubRip will convert SUB/IDX to SRT (assuming it is a good rip) if that is the format you need, and then I guess you could mux the subtitles with AVIAddXSubs. Honestly, I don't know much about the subs, but as far as encoding and cropping, StaxRip is the best front-end I've found. I hope this helps.
Related links
Download the latest version of DivX codec from AfterDawn.com!
Get FFSHOW from here -- free DirectShow filter for watching DivX movies, faster than original DivX codec!
Read AfterDawn.com's DivX guides from here.
Download XviD codec from here.

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
your opinion that Divx is no Longer standard ???? 3 29. December 2013 Video - Software discussion
where do i find xvid codecs for 360 2 29. November 2013 Xbox 360 - Everything else
DivX codec, trying to remove watermark from all encodes! 6 18. April 2013 Video - Software discussion
Xvid file stops playing after a few seconds 5 26. August 2012 Video - Everything else
AVI / Xvid media player 5 5. July 2012 Sony PSP - Homebrew software
Xvid upgrading to Virtualdub 2 24. June 2012 Video - Everything else
anyone have a panaonic dmp-bd75? -I can't get divx to work 1 7. June 2012 Blu-ray players
What kind of .avi format do Divx DVD players use? 3 1. April 2012 Convert video to another format
divx and any video converter 3 19. March 2012 Convert video to another format
Xvid resets to Xvid mobile after/while AutoGK 3 15. March 2012 Convert DVD to another format

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > divx / xvid > divx xvid cropping, really need help

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork