User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 18:34
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - games > tes oblivion graphics help
Show topics

Forums
Forums
TES Oblivion Graphics help
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. April 2006 @ 09:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Open your oblivion.ini and set verticalLandBias to -1000.00.
(The ini located in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion is what you are looking for. The file located in your Oblivion game directory which is called Oblivion_default.ini is NOT what you want to edit.)

Possunt Quia Posse Videntur.
Advertisement
_
__
betjo
_
27. April 2006 @ 09:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can't download any of the files which you mentioned in the second post of this topic... most of the files don't work

My problem is: When I run the game, I can see the title screen, I can even see the movie which you see when you play for your first time. but then it happens, I have to create my character.. I can edit everyone what I want, I can fill in my name and I can choose a class, but the character example doesn't show up.. I thought it was just a glitch, but when I was actually in the game, I could see the menu things etc, but the whole world was white. I could see some blue things in the distance and I heard someone talking to me, and I saw some shadows of a chair, but everything was just white, including my character. I couldn't make a screenshot (the prnt scrn button didn't work for me) and when I try to edit the video settings, and error shows up which says that Oblivion has occured an error in windows.

My PC:

Graphic card: Ati Radeon 9250
2.20 GHZ
512 MB Ram
AMP Athlon(tm)XP 3100+
Windows XP Home Edition Server Pack 2

Please help me

EDIT: Never mind, the oldoblivion fixed it :D Thank you very much!!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. April 2006 @ 09:45

AfterDawn Addict
_
27. April 2006 @ 10:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for letting me know some of the links were down,
I have fixed the links AND included the lastest Oldblivion
release.

Thanks and enjoy the game.
(I suggest getting the newest Oldblivion I just added),
The shaders ARE IMPRESSIVE in this version.

Cheers!

_
27. April 2006 @ 10:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Do the above mentioned fixes do anything for framerates? I've got the ol' 5700le w/256mb. I'm not about to replace it, because it was just given to me for my birthday.

Can this patch get me back to a good framerate? Maybe something higher than the oh; 2-3 frames per second?

"Its not stupid, its advanced!" - The Almighty Tallest, Invader Zim
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. April 2006 @ 10:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Replace the shaders and forcing 1x mode WILL increase the framerate,
Also simply turning down some of the details will help too.
Distant Trees grass and water effects kill the framerate.

Cheers!

betjo
_
27. April 2006 @ 22:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What do you mean with 'forcing 1x mode' ?

And my FPS is 6, I turned off the water, trees and grass details, but I still have only 5 á 6 fps. Anyone knows how to increase that without editing the graphics?

my PC:

Graphic card: Ati Radeon 9250
2.20 GHZ
512 MB Ram
AMP Athlon(tm)XP 3100+
Windows XP Home Edition Server Pack 2

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. April 2006 @ 09:07

lastrednk
_
27. April 2006 @ 23:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My problem with Oblivion was when I hit the opening movie, when I hit space to skip forward, it would crash right then and there. I downloaded and installed everything from the 2nd post of this thread up to the Oldblivion download, ran Oldblivion and it worked fine, plus it improved the graphics quality (graphics were laggy before). Gracias!
lastrednk
_
27. April 2006 @ 23:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
BTW, I should point out I'm using:

Processor: AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.17 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Video Card: 256MB GeForce 5200 FX

It runs well, I must say!
_
28. April 2006 @ 08:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
What do you mean with 'forcing 1x mode' ?

And my fps is 6, I turned off the water, trees and grass details, but I still have only 5 á 6 fps. Anyone knows how to increase that without editing the graphics?
Amen, brother. I have all settings minimal/off. I have the resolution set to the lowest available in the drop down menu.

Aside from forcing 1x mode (Still unsure of what that is) there is nothing else to turn down.

My system specs might help...

P4 @2.4Ghz
1gb ram
SB Audigy 2
GeForce 5700LE w/256mb

Now; I'm not expecting to be able to run it at great settings or anything... But I think I should at least be able to RUN it over 5 frames per second...

"Its not stupid, its advanced!" - The Almighty Tallest, Invader Zim
AfterDawn Addict
_
28. April 2006 @ 10:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

9250 (ati)and 5200 and 5700 (Nvidia) are UNSUPPORTED cards,

Supported Video Card Chipsets:
ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series
ATI x800 series
ATI x700 series
ATI x600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9700 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

If your card IS NOT in this list you MUST run the fixes and shaders.

Older cards will not perform well without the shaderpacks.
The only way to get a good framerate is to use the fixes.

There is a setting in the .ini bforceshadermode1x
Change it from 0 to one.
You need to apply the shader fixes and .ini edits.

Another option may be in the console,
I would try each of these seperately as they might not work well together.

Press '~' to open the console and enter ONE of these commands.

1) SLP 1
(sets the current lighting passes to one)
WILL NOT WORK unless you have the shaders installed.

2) TLB
Changes the light in the textures,
Will change the brightness and CAN increase the framerate.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. April 2006 @ 15:03

bg2095
_
29. April 2006 @ 08:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Anybody know how to get rid of blue trees and all those changes like to ground and stuff, do i put the in the ini in mydocuments or the one in my main oblivian folder?
AfterDawn Addict
_
29. April 2006 @ 11:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Anybody know how to get rid of blue trees and all those changes like to ground and stuff, do i put the in the ini in mydocuments or the one in my main oblivian folder?
I have already eplained this but I will again.

In order to fix the Land issues:

Open your oblivion.ini and set verticalLandBias to -1000.00.
(The ini located in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion is what you are looking for. The file located in your Oblivion game directory which is called Oblivion_default.ini is NOT what you want to edit.)

( I have already mentioned SEVERAL times Which .ini to edit.)

As far as the trees in the console (press ` to open console),
And enter the following (without the '')
'Setfog 50000 50000'.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. April 2006 @ 11:36

GalloGlas
_
29. April 2006 @ 14:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The fix posted at the beginning of this thread only half works for the Intel 915gm video card.

CURSE THIS LAPTOP! I can't wait till I get my base housing and get my desktop back.

Anyway the fix works for the game up until you leave the kings corpse and gaurd behind. When you pop the hatch to go down into the sewers, the game crashes after loading the next level.

The game kicked ass until that point though. Much improvement over morrowind as far as weapon usage goes. I guess its back to staring at the oblivion box while it laughs and curses at my laptop.
bg2095
_
29. April 2006 @ 16:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I still can not get rid of this, i have tried everything you guys have sugested.(trees)

I have the water fix in place.
AfterDawn Addict
_
29. April 2006 @ 18:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ Gelloclas

You need to turn off the water shaders when exiting the sewers,
By editing the ,ini files.
Quote:
Q2. When I get out from the initial dungeon it crashes!
A2. Try disabling the water. In the Oblivion.ini make sure that bUsewatershader=0.
Make sure you are editing the CORRECT .ini file.
The default_oblivion.INI IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT.

@ bg2095

The water shaders are NOT installed properly,
They will fix the purple water.
You most likely put them in the wrong directory.

The water package must be extracted into your Oblivion\Data directory. This will create the proper folder path which is Data\Textures\water\water00.dds.

Check the path is correct and make sure the .dds file is there.
(you will have to create the texture/water directory as NORMALLY
it is not there.)

http://games.build-a.com/oblivion/watertexture.zip

Also To fix the trees is easier.
Start the game and while playing press ` to enter the console.
In the console type SETFOG 50000 50000
And press enter it will fix the trees, only catch is for this fix,
You have to manually enter it each time.

These fixes are GUARANTEED to work IF you do them properly.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. April 2006 @ 18:19

lastrednk
_
29. April 2006 @ 20:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
After all the fixes and shaders are done, would I be able to run Oblivion on medium quality with a 5200FX NVidia card with the specs I posted before?
dbwidget
_
30. April 2006 @ 04:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good news for all you ppl with old pc's. A mod has been released that simplifies the game's most visually demanding graphics. I was originally going to get this for myself, but I just sucked it up and got a new motherboard and processor.

Called OLDblivion, the mod adds support for older video cards as well.

LINK:

http://www.oldblivion.com/

LINK TO ARTICLE:

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/news/53633.shtml

As you can see, the game still looks good. There may still be some bugs in the mod, but it's better than nothing.
bg2095
_
30. April 2006 @ 07:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
umm yeah your about 10 posts late
lastrednk
_
30. April 2006 @ 08:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
"For you people with old PC's".

My video card is only a year and a half old....geez, make me feel like I'm on an Apple II, why don't ya?

:)
bg2095
_
30. April 2006 @ 08:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES HELP. this is the best i am gonna get my game looking and i am not complaining.

Before

After

cheers
lastrednk
_
30. April 2006 @ 10:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to upgrade my video card. Even with the fixes, it still runs a bit clunkier than I'd like it too. No worries, I found a GeForce 6200 128MB video card online for about 30 bucks, which should make Oblivion playable if I'm not mistaken. You think that video card would suffice?

As for the current card, even with the new .exe file, it still crashes when I access the menu on the main page and it crashes when I access the video menu during the game. Is there something I'm forgetting or just does my video card completely suck?
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. April 2006 @ 13:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ lastrednk

Make sure you have the .exe file (as you stated before),
But you need to run Oldblivion EXE to run the game.
To fix the menu crash, be sure to change the following in
your oblivion.ini file.

bForce1XShaders=1
bHighQuality20Lighting=0
bAllow20HairShader=0
bAllowScreenShot=1
iMultiSample=0
bDoTallGrassEffect=0
bForceMultiPass=0
bDoTexturePass=1
bDoSpecularPass=1
bDoDiffusePass=0
bDoAmbientPass=0
bDoCanopyShadowPass=0
bDrawShadows=0
bUseRefractionShader=0
bUse Shaders=1

All these should be changed in your .ini
The ONE in BOLD is causing the crashes.
With these changes if your framerate is still slow,
You can also try these console options.
WHILE PLAYING IN GAME
Press '~' to open the console and enter ONE of these commands.

1) SLP 1
(sets the current lighting passes to one)
WILL NOT WORK unless you have the shaders installed.

2) TLB
Changes the light in the textures,
Will change the brightness and CAN increase the framerate.

You wont see much of an increase witha 6600 as it is still
the bottom of cards (because this game requires uber shaders).
I would try these fixes beacuse your still going to need them
even if you upgrade to a 6600.

You will need a 6800 at least to get a good framerate
WITHOUT changing the shaders.
Quote:
Recommended:
3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video car

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. April 2006 @ 13:09

bg2095
_
30. April 2006 @ 13:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Las, I promise you that card you have is 392394829378 times better then the one i have, it should be able to run that game. I have a Radeon 9200SE 128 mb card.
lastrednk
_
30. April 2006 @ 19:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok, I changed the value in the .ini file (under My Games, not the actual Oblivion folder) from 1 to 0, saved, and started the game. Go to the video menu, make the adjustments I want to make, and it crashes again. I go back to the .ini file and the diffusevalue IS BACK AT 1 INSTEAD OF 0! What gives?
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. April 2006 @ 21:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I dont know why that is happening.
Unless you are running the oblivion launcher,
When you should be running Oldblivion instead to the run game.
If your running Oldblivion and still crashing at the video option,
Edit the .ini file again and make it read-only.

Simply running the oldblivion program worked for me on this crash,
but other people had to change the .ini as well.
I am running an ati card (9200 se) nvidia cards may act
a little different.

Either way you should have this working by now,
I will be here to offer my support,
Cheers and good luck!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. April 2006 @ 21:25

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - games > tes oblivion graphics help

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork