User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:06
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > digital tv - united states & canada > dbox in ireland
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Dbox In Ireland
  Jump to:

Posted Message
macvity
_
11. January 2007 @ 12:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi to all here.where can i get gemini 3.3
Advertisement
_
__
padshea
_
16. January 2007 @ 07:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Guys, Great to see an Ireland specific thread.

I'm about to buy a dbox from Ebay.

Im using NTL digital in Dublin, can anyone recommend a tried and tested box/operating system from ebay for me.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Pad
benifa
_
16. January 2007 @ 11:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by padshea:
Hi Guys, Great to see an Ireland specific thread.

I'm about to buy a dbox from Ebay.

Im using NTL digital in Dublin, can anyone recommend a tried and tested box/operating system from ebay for me.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Pad
Well Pad,

I recommend this image:
http://ifawilson.com/downloads/Dbox/Spor...+%20uk05_2x.exe
pass=letmein

This image has worked flawlessly here in Waterford. Just do a scan for your channels selecting "cableIE Sym6887". You will get all channels, which should total 186..
If you need any more help please feel free to PM me..
padshea
_
16. January 2007 @ 12:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Benifa, thanks a million for that.

Can you tell me the hardware your using and what seller you bought from?

Once again thanks for helping a newbie out.
benifa
_
16. January 2007 @ 12:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No bother..
You need a Dbox2. They're going for at least 100 sterling on ebay right now (excluding shipping from Germany), and the price is rising.. If you've not yet bought one, PM me.. I may have some good news for you ;)
padshea
_
16. January 2007 @ 12:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi benifa, I've pm'd you.

Let me know the good news!!!

Thanks
onandon
_
18. January 2007 @ 03:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Im a complete novice and was wondering :

If I purchase a dbox2 from ebay what else do I need
to get setup. Do I need a card etc

Sorry for hasseling you
keithnola
_
18. January 2007 @ 03:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You don't need a card. Once it arrives it should be a matter of scanning for channels and off you go. It doesn't always work like that though, sometimes you need to install a different image, buy a splitter, change settings etc to get in up and running.
benifa
_
18. January 2007 @ 03:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No bother..

No you don't need a card or anything else. As far as hardware goes all you need is a Dbox2 connected to a live cable feed, either from NTL or Chorus. Live cable feed means you either subscribe to cable internet and/or analogue TV.
onandon
_
18. January 2007 @ 03:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks very much people - I have NTL at the mo and to say they are
pathetic upgrades them. Youre help is much appreciated
neila
_
18. January 2007 @ 07:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi All,

Looking for some advice - Thinking of buying the DBox 2 from from www.dbox2.com (120 euro plus shipping). There's no mention of it containing any image (so does this mean it has some German one?)

I say there's some on E-Bay that have the Sporster images - they're more expensive, but are they worth the hassle they save? Or is it straightforward enough flashing the above box with the Sporster image (I have downloaded the beginner guides etc that are linked on the forum)

I'm in Dublin on NTL by the way....

Thanks in advance.
Neil
macvity
_
18. January 2007 @ 07:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi can i load image with serial lead without it been conected to the internet.
benifa
_
18. January 2007 @ 08:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by neila:
Hi All,

Looking for some advice - Thinking of buying the DBox 2 from from www.dbox2.com (120 euro plus shipping). There's no mention of it containing any image (so does this mean it has some German one?)

I say there's some on E-Bay that have the Sporster images - they're more expensive, but are they worth the hassle they save? Or is it straightforward enough flashing the above box with the Sporster image (I have downloaded the beginner guides etc that are linked on the forum)

I'm in Dublin on NTL by the way....

Thanks in advance.
Neil
Hi Neil,

The ?120 price on that site is for a Nokia Dbox2 with Avia500, without a front flap, and with faulty display (note this will not affect viewing).

They charge an extra ?20 to put them into debug mode and flash a Neutrino image. To be honest even if the image they put is a German one you can change it in about 2 minutes. It's quite straightfoward if you read the guides posted around the internet. If you want to save the ?20 and put the device into debug mode yourself, you can, but it's a bit more tricky. Guides are available though.

If I were you, I'd get the ?140 Dbox2 which has the front flap and no display problem, for the extra ?20 I'd say it's worth it. Again, I'd also pay the further ?20 to have them put it into debug and load Neutrino. For a total of ?160 you'll have saved yourself a bit of headache and your box will be nice and pretty ;)

If you need some guides click here:
http://www.ifawilson.com/downloads/Dbox/Dbox2.rar.exe
pass=letmein
benifa
_
18. January 2007 @ 08:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by macvity:
hi can i load image with serial lead without it been conected to the internet.
Yes. The is no need to ever connect the Dbox2 to the internet unless you want to view NASA internet broadcasts etc.. Why don't you just use an ethernet cable rather than null modem?
neila
_
18. January 2007 @ 08:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Great thanks Benifa. One question - is Neutrino an image (just like Sportster etc) or is it related to the Linux operating system ?
benifa
_
18. January 2007 @ 09:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Neutrino is a type of image. Images will either be Neutrino or Enigma types. I don't believe there are any UK images that are Enigma based, and I've personally never got a German Enigma based image to work no matter how I fiddle with it ;)..

Thus, UK images, including the Sportster varieties, are Neutrino based. By the way, UK images are grand in Ireland..

If you want to use the Sportster image that has been good for me, the link is above..
onandon
_
18. January 2007 @ 09:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is all great info - cant wait for the dbox to arrive to get crackin g on it
a7v8x
_
31. January 2007 @ 10:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi all, great to see a thread specific to Ireland. I am thinking of purchasing a dbox2 or starview. I am just wondering if they work on chorus? I have the basic chorus cable tv (not digital) cable comes in from a box under my gutter. How often are the settings changing and where is the best place to buy the box (ebay?)

Thank you in advance
mgb17
_
31. January 2007 @ 19:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It depends if you get true cable or mmds.
If you get true cable from chorus a dbox2 is the better choice.
Chorus mmds is only functionable with a dreambox 500t.
NTL mmds is a other story.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. January 2007 @ 19:57

a7v8x
_
1. February 2007 @ 23:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As I said im totally new to this and just found out our cable supply from chorus is not digital just analogue so I take it nothing will work on it ?
debic
_
2. February 2007 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi
I've just ordered a dbox2 cable with linux sportster pro(uk edition) in de bug mode. don't really know anything about these and i'm hoping someone could help. Will they work in chorus area. My chorus comes into my house from an underground cable outside house. Also can anyone send me a user manual on how to get it going. I tried the replay lite but they'll only work on ntl. really appreciate any information i can get.
thanks
Debi
benifa
_
3. February 2007 @ 01:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Debi,

Should work with Chorus, though I've not tested it personally. NTL is grand sure, so as long as you've the cabled Chorus as oppose to the antenna service (mmds), all should be grand. You can d/l some useful info from here:
http://www.ifawilson.com/downloads/Dbox/Dbox2.rar.exe
pass=letmein
a7v8x
_
5. February 2007 @ 10:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi benifa maybe you could clear something up for me. As far as I know I only have analogue cable from chorus, so my main concern is will a dbox2 work or do you need to have a digital service?
benifa
_
5. February 2007 @ 10:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi a7v8x..

Nope, no need for digital subscription..

Analogue is grand so..

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. February 2007 @ 10:22

Advertisement
_
__

_
debic
_
5. February 2007 @ 11:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi benifa
thanks for that info. just waiting on d box to arrive to see if it works, i see from previous post that you said you have good news on geting d boxes, could you e mail me on that as if mine work am sure rest of family will want one too. Also couldn't open that link as it asked for a password.
thanks
debi
This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > digital tv - united states & canada > dbox in ireland

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork