User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 01:16
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > regarding thread titles
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Regarding Thread Titles
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Fair enough, but there are more pleasant and better ways of voicing your oppinion than that...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. December 2006 @ 07:11

Advertisement
_
__
elasu3
Suspended permanently
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeh, sorry,

i`ll edit it now

Get xbox360 games under 24pounds here :http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-52gn-
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That'd be wise.

_
30. December 2006 @ 07:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
too late, abit of decorum would've prevented posting crap in the fist place, especially after 9 bans. If you don't wanna do the time, don't do the crime.
What kind of example does that give anyone that's referred to this thread after thread closure, Tsk tsk elasu3

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Another one bites the dust.. well he might come back; god forbid.

Tsk Tsk indeed, Lol.

AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Creaky i see that ye are at the back door,now

heres the other one ye wanted on e-mail

tabletpc
Suspended permanently
_
30. December 2006 @ 19:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thank you for banning these because not only do these get boring if they are not nessesary
but do not help at all eather
TBundy505
_
31. December 2006 @ 01:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How can you tell what motherboard your psp uses?
AfterDawn Addict
_
31. December 2006 @ 02:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Posting in the right forum might be a start.

AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
31. December 2006 @ 02:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here Mr. Bundy.

PIH
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
31. December 2006 @ 11:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by vurbal:
Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,... You may be asking yourself exactly what my problem is. You may be thinking I'm being incredibly petty and if I have a problem with the thread titles I can change them myself. Just to make sure there's no confusion about this I'm going to let you know why I'm doing it.

#1 - It's against the rules
Yeah it sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, but if you'll read through the rest of this post you should start to understand why it's a rule.

#2 - They're stupid thread titles
The vast majority of the threads here are asking for help. Saying you're asking for help almost goes without saying. There's nothing wrong with saying you want help, but given the scope of every forum here it doesn't really say anything. Plus there are people who won't read those threads because the title doesn't indicate it's something they can help with. If you want to maximize your chances of getting help you should put something in the title that will draw in the people with the knowledge required to assist you.

#3 - It's rude
If you want others to give you help with something the least you can do is put a minimal amount of information in the title. If you can't be bothered to put a little thought into your thread title why should other people put the effort into helping you?

Until now I've always either ignored this issue or changed thread titles myself. Today I've closed about a dozen of them and to me that's a ridiculous number. This is nothing personal and if your thread is closed for this reason you should feel free to start another thread for your question with an appropriate title.
You know alot of people do that because some of the more knowledgable guys on this forum don't always come to your assistance. Sometimes you can be left without help at all even with a thread that describes what you need help with. In a few of my threads I have had no response at all. Not even a "Sorry but there isn't anything you can do about it" response. You run the forum so I will go by those rules but I am just voicing my own opinion and saying I personally disagree with closign threads like that for fear of spamming or whatever.
_
31. December 2006 @ 11:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@PIH - it seems you post primarily in the PSP forum, and that's why some of your questions are being overlooked. Of all the console forums that's the forum that i have to spend the most time in due to the sheer amount of threads in there (most of which seem to be lazy repetitive questions hence why it takes me so long sorting things out in there). It's not due to the PSP's popularity as to why that forum is so jam-packed, but down to the never-ending questions in there, most of which are asked over and over and over by posters who won't/don't/can't be bothered to read the huge amount of info in there..

Have a look thru this thread where someone suggested improvements in that forum - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/443598

- i even stickied that thread temporarily while the regulars come up with ideas to redo the forum stickies as it vanishes off the first page virtually straight away.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
31. December 2006 @ 19:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
You know alot of people do that because some of the more knowledgable guys on this forum don't always come to your assistance. Sometimes you can be left without help at all even with a thread that describes what you need help with. In a few of my threads I have had no response at all. Not even a "Sorry but there isn't anything you can do about it" response. You run the forum so I will go by those rules but I am just voicing my own opinion and saying I personally disagree with closign threads like that for fear of spamming or whatever.

I didn't say anything about spamming. Why does someone who can't be bothered to type a short description of their problem deserves someone else to take extra time just to find out if it's even a subject they know anything about? If you want to attract help why not come up with a thread title that will attract people familiar with the subject that's giving you problems? If someone wasn't looking at your question with a decent thread title they're not taking additional time because you decide to type Help Me. Additionally, if someone is searching for help to avoid posting a question that's been answered 50 times it's harder to find those questions if they're simply titled Help Me.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. January 2007 @ 03:26

AfterDawn Addict

16 product reviews
_
31. December 2006 @ 20:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I found a picture, and I think mods will like it...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. December 2006 @ 20:44

_
1. January 2007 @ 00:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by OneMember:
I found a picture, and I think mods will like it...

~Lmao~ , thats perfect!

Yours Truly; Rav
BitTorrent Safety Guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674
Free Security Software: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257
The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2007 @ 01:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lol, the girl's not bad looking either. :P

_
1. January 2007 @ 01:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ripper:
Lol, the girl's not bad looking either. :P
Yeah, notice how we don't get attractive women presenting our news??

Yours Truly; Rav
BitTorrent Safety Guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674
Free Security Software: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257
The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2007 @ 02:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I know! Most of them are old... or men!?! Lol - I'm gunna go sulk now. :P

_
1. January 2007 @ 03:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by creaky:
@PIH - it seems you post primarily in the PSP forum, and that's why some of your questions are being overlooked. Of all the console forums that's the forum that i have to spend the most time in due to the sheer amount of threads in there (most of which seem to be lazy repetitive questions hence why it takes me so long sorting things out in there). It's not due to the PSP's popularity as to why that forum is so jam-packed, but down to the never-ending questions in there, most of which are asked over and over and over by posters who won't/don't/can't be bothered to read the huge amount of info in there..

Have a look thru this thread where someone suggested improvements in that forum - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/443598

- i even stickied that thread temporarily while the regulars come up with ideas to redo the forum stickies as it vanishes off the first page virtually straight away.
@PIH - well there we are, i spend time to type the above and do i get a reply from you ?. do i buggery, i do however find this -

Originally posted by PIH:
I am getting pissed off already. you guys are just being assholes. Could someone please help me I've been more then nice up to this point.
- from here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/440980/2683640

Guess what, i've been nice up to this point, ungrateful idiots like you prove i waste my effort in the console 'forums'.

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2007 @ 03:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
"And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust..."

**Rolls eyes**

_
1. January 2007 @ 03:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i think i'm one of the more lenient mods, but times they can be a'changing... i can quite happily make it a New Year's Resolution

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2007 @ 03:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lol, that may be one new years resolution that is actually kept!

Personally, I don't make resolutions, I'm far too busy to think about things like "stop biting my nails", "don't eat as much cr@ppy food", "oh, i need to join a gym", etc etc.

:-P

I think, seeing as it's new years, the admins should maybe give the consoles the old "heave ho"; now seems the appropriate time. ;)

Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
1. January 2007 @ 05:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'd like to point out that no complaints have come from posters who spend a lot of time helping others. I think that speaks for itself.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. January 2007 @ 05:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I think that speaks for itself
Indeed, I for one have no problems with this. :)

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
1. January 2007 @ 05:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
me neither, funnily enough :P

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > regarding thread titles

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork