User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:54
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > regarding thread titles
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Regarding Thread Titles
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
25. December 2006 @ 18:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,... You may be asking yourself exactly what my problem is. You may be thinking I'm being incredibly petty and if I have a problem with the thread titles I can change them myself. Just to make sure there's no confusion about this I'm going to let you know why I'm doing it.

#1 - It's against the rules
Yeah it sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, but if you'll read through the rest of this post you should start to understand why it's a rule.

#2 - They're stupid thread titles
The vast majority of the threads here are asking for help. Saying you're asking for help almost goes without saying. There's nothing wrong with saying you want help, but given the scope of every forum here it doesn't really say anything. Plus there are people who won't read those threads because the title doesn't indicate it's something they can help with. If you want to maximize your chances of getting help you should put something in the title that will draw in the people with the knowledge required to assist you.

#3 - It's rude
If you want others to give you help with something the least you can do is put a minimal amount of information in the title. If you can't be bothered to put a little thought into your thread title why should other people put the effort into helping you?

Until now I've always either ignored this issue or changed thread titles myself. Today I've closed about a dozen of them and to me that's a ridiculous number. This is nothing personal and if your thread is closed for this reason you should feel free to start another thread for your question with an appropriate title.

Edit Jan 1, 07: If you have a complaint about my reason for closing a thread you should PM me, another mod, or an admin. Posting complaints in the Shoutbox of my AD profile won't get a response, but may get deleted. I have no intention of engaging in a public debate about my moderation. If you make a reasonable request for an explanation or wish to explain rationally why you disagree with my decision I'm more than happy to discuss it. If you want to bitch publicly you'll be doing it without my participation - although it may end up causing your account to be suspended temporarily or even permanently.

EDIT:

LOCO's abstraction...arrows added for emphasis.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. October 2008 @ 10:12

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. December 2006 @ 19:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
If you can't be bothered to put a little thought into your thread title why should other people put the effort into helping you?
Exaxctly! I can't stand a thread thats stated "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc.. I don't even glimpse twice at thread that has this as there title.

Thanks -vurbal-

BTW, where have you been? seen you posting as of lately aswell as -oner-
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
26. December 2006 @ 04:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I took about a year off from AD. I took over a small network and it was taking all of my time getting it out of the stone age.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. December 2006 @ 05:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice one Vurbal.

It's always good to know what you're headed @... before you open the thread! LOL :)

_
28. December 2006 @ 21:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
/me is going to borrow a leaf out of vurbal's book as i spend far too much time correcting silly thread titles myself

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
Pants01
_
29. December 2006 @ 03:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sorry for putting stupid thread title i am NEW and BLONDE! However i was extremely desperate having spent 3 days trying to sort out my son's psp-Probably much like many people on the forum it's ok for you guys who are experts you've probably heard it all b4-but for people like me its hard! However point taken no offence, although i expect it won't be the last time you will read thread titles like that as more Newbies join your site in desperation for help. Thanks Pants
The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
29. December 2006 @ 03:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So, does this mean you mods will now finally close down 3 quarters of the console forums, with all the unrelated thread titles flying around there ?
Need any help perhaps ?
And can we now start reporting unrelated titles as well ?

/me hides behind ripper

irc://arcor.de.eu.dal.net/wasted_hate

Wanna tell me off, go ahead.
I dare ya !

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. December 2006 @ 03:55

_
29. December 2006 @ 03:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
now would i have been doing this already today, surely not :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. December 2006 @ 03:55

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
29. December 2006 @ 03:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ahw d@mn, there go my hopes, shattered to bits...
Guess i'll have to make that "move the console forums to blasteroids, please, they're driving us nuts!" petition after all... :-D

I dare ya !
_
29. December 2006 @ 04:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
report away, all i need is ireland to come up with a relevant pic i can use for closure of lazily titled threads and i'll be sorted (and one re email addresses too ireland if you're reading).

AfterDawn Addict
_
29. December 2006 @ 04:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
/me hides behind ripper
/me wipes off all the blood and guts onto Dan X)

Lol, it's mean friday in the consoles today. Actually, I think that should be a new mod thing.. Mean Friday - Post cr@p on Mean Friday, and you're done for! ;-)

Heh :P

Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
29. December 2006 @ 04:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by The_Fiend:
So, does this mean you mods will now finally close down 3 quarters of the console forums, with all the unrelated thread titles flying around there ?

Well 3/4 is probably an exaggeration. Probably no more than 72%
Quote:
Need any help perhaps ?

Are you a psychiatrist?
Quote:
And can we now start reporting unrelated titles as well ?

Oh that kind of help...

Yes feel free to report those threads.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
_
29. December 2006 @ 05:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good idea I guess, Vurbal.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/441278

I wish I knew this before I read the HjT log, next time I'm not going to waste my time replying to a thread which is titled "help me" or something similar...I think sometimes people are worried/desperate for help and will just write anything like "Help" or "SLOW PC" to try and get a reply, hence the oddly titled threads. This should stamp it out.

Yours Truly; Rav
BitTorrent Safety Guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674
Free Security Software: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257
The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month. - Fyodor Dostoevsky

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. December 2006 @ 05:47

AfterDawn Addict
_
29. December 2006 @ 05:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
this is what i been posting in there asking for help threads

(users name)

i want ye to read this....

Regarding Thread Titles

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/440385#2663311

vurbal

Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,... You may be asking yourself exactly what my problem is. You may be thinking I'm being incredibly petty and if I have a problem with the thread titles I can change them myself. Just to make sure there's no confusion about this I'm going to let you know why I'm doing it.

#1 - It's against the rules
Yeah it sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, but if you'll read through the rest of this post you should start to understand why it's a rule.

and read the rules
here
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. December 2006 @ 05:58

The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
29. December 2006 @ 06:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually Vurbal, with "need any help perhaps" i meant getting you modboys some new firearms :-D.

I dare ya !
AfterDawn Addict
_
29. December 2006 @ 06:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh noes!

/me hides!

Lol~

AfterDawn Addict
_
29. December 2006 @ 07:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
creaky was that ye who knocked on me door..

heres what ye asked for..

_
29. December 2006 @ 08:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cheers ireland, all i'm missing is a pic re people posting email addresses if you could magic one up.

AfterDawn Addict

16 product reviews
_
29. December 2006 @ 13:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,...

I think this is something we have been expecting for a long time...

AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
29. December 2006 @ 18:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice one, highly annoying, and yeah i have just blanked some of them and clicked on because of it.

AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ban um all

join me,and other members here,on the "unofficial" afterdawn live chat channel ->
http://www.adbuddies.org/
elasu3
Suspended permanently
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i dont like those rules in my opinion

Get xbox360 games under 24pounds here :http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-52gn-

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. December 2006 @ 07:14

_
30. December 2006 @ 07:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by elasu3:
no offernce but those rules are shit
why,
because if it doesen`t say help people might think that they are telling news or explaining something
but,

if you put help people no that they are stuck on something and will go and help them !!
now remind me why you were banned 9 times before ?...

AfterDawn Addict
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by elasu3:
no offernce but those rules are sh*t
why,
because if it doesen`t say help people might think that they are telling news or explaining something
but,

if you put help people no that they are stuck on something and will go and help them !!

I don't make sigs for people with bad attitudes...

Is it really 9 times? I knew it'd been at least 3... **sigh**

/me sees no reason why another one isn't in order.

Advertisement
_
__

_
elasu3
Suspended permanently
_
30. December 2006 @ 07:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
sorry,

i just thought that wasnt such a good ideo in my opinion.

Get xbox360 games under 24pounds here :http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-52gn-

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > regarding thread titles

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork