User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:31
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the new amd building thread
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The New AMD Building Thread
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 09:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As it happens, Intel CPUs tend to last a lot longer than AMDs in all the long run tests I've shown, your CPUs are likely to have failed due to faulty motherboards powering them. CPUs very rarely fail by themselves. In any case, this is not the AMD vs Intel thread :P

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
Advertisement
_
__
_
19. November 2008 @ 11:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sammorris:
As it happens, Intel CPUs tend to last a lot longer than AMDs in all the long run tests I've shown, your CPUs are likely to have failed due to faulty motherboards powering them. CPUs very rarely fail by themselves. In any case, this is not the AMD vs Intel thread :P
Boo! You bring war to this peaceful land. :P

I'm also interested in the performance hit that an AM2+ chip in a AM2 board takes. Can anyone find a ballpark number?
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 12:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hehe, well, was just tru-ifying a post :)
As far as I can tell it's about a 10% hit. How noticeable that would be would depend on what you do.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 12:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
any reports on the clocks being achieved with the phenom II?
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 13:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What we need is someone to underclock their Intel quads to the Phenoms speeds to compare them at the same clock speeds. Also no using 3DMark for game performance. Use Far Cry 2 or something.
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 14:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
id say use an RTS as they are heavily CPU dependant or use FSX.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 14:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Crysis Warhead, and whack the resolution down to 800x600. My CPU frame rate cap is 21 for that game, seems a good place to start :P

updated 10-Dec-13
rick5446
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
19. November 2008 @ 18:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To underclock any CPU would still be an unfair test. CPU to CPU same MGz, also not games. Can't really see how games can define speed, if it works it works.
I mean really how many things do we really do that define the need for speed
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 18:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
They do, as the frame rate in games is not only limited by the graphics card, but also the processor as well.

Single-task apps like video encodes or renders tend to favour certain types of chips so they're not necessarily good tests either.

updated 10-Dec-13
rick5446
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
19. November 2008 @ 20:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
sammorris: Well like I said if it works, it works. Regardless of what CPU U use, I know Vid cards enhance the pic Quality, also they require a certain Speed of CPU to retain the movement in scenes
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 20:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes, but that's conditional. A stock E7200 for instance, would render some games unplayable at max settings where they'd be fine with a Q9550.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. November 2008 @ 21:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Shamb1es:
Boo! You bring war to this peaceful land. :P
I agree! Most of us here don't care about oveclocking, CPU speeds, Frame rates, or what you can do on an Intel! We are here because we want to learn about the new AMD Technology and use it to do a build that will suit our needs and do the job we want. Here, it's all about our individual needs! as long as it's About building the best AMDs we can to suit our needs! I'm no Mod, but you three getting "Off Topic"!

You all are welcome here any time as long as it's about the thread title. I understand that even I have to say "Intel" sometimes to explain things. So I'm not splitting hairs here. Please Respect what we came here to do and accomplish!

Thank You,
theonejrs

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 21:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by spamual:

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 21:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The Inquirer reckon up to 4Ghz on air, but the Inquirer reckon a lot of things...

updated 10-Dec-13
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 21:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
godd idea lets check news sites :D

mmm fudzilla also posts 4Gs (on air)
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 22:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Isn't this all AMD hearsay at the moment?

updated 10-Dec-13
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 22:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Could be but Unanomously we all agree that Now is the Time for it not to be
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. November 2008 @ 23:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Nothing more than rumors at the moment from mostly fringe sites. none of the bigger sites have said much!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 23:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i just hope the roumers are real, never had an AMD build, would like one, just have to clock well and actualyl perform good in games.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 23:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Until the Core 2s came along, that's everything I would have said an AMD was. Sometimes we get too lost in comparisons.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict

2 product reviews
_
19. November 2008 @ 23:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't see the point of comparing though. I thought it was pretty clear cut.

Everyone used to argue P4 vs AMD. It was obviously AMD, why argue?
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
19. November 2008 @ 23:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
same here sam, but comparrisons need to be made, or else youd end up with something not good your your money.

tbh if they clocked well, i wouldnt mind if they gave 10FPS less in games. id buy just to clock them.
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. November 2008 @ 19:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Isn't this all AMD hearsay at the moment?

What's funny about that, is everyone's talking except AMD! LOL!! They've been pretty quiet, and yet look at all the rumors!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. November 2008 @ 23:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
same here sam, but comparrisons need to be made, or else youd end up with something not good your your money.

tbh if they clocked well, i wouldnt mind if they gave 10FPS less in games. id buy just to clock them.

We understand the cost difference, but for our needs, this is what we want. The money isn't an issue either and we don't need comparisons to be made. Just think of us as an Antique computer club and take your frame rates and such elsewhere!

here, it's about what the individual wants, and right now we would all prefer, that you just go away and let us get this thread back in the direction of it's original goals!

Russ ):

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 00:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here's a review on a the 780G's game performance on 3 different motherboards with various video configurations using an HD 3450 with the 708G. A GigaByte GA-MA78GM-S2H is the test motherboard!
http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/reviews...x2-4850e-review

Available at Newegg for $80! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090

Unless I miss my guess, I would say that you are looking at roughly around the 2.9GHz 64x2 4800+'s performance level on AM2 using this particular MB with a 4850e. It's been Reported to be the most "Feature Laden" of all the presently available 708G motherboards!

AMD makes two 45w chips! The 2.5GHz 4850e and the 2.6GHz 5050e. Both will tie into the + part of AM2+ for performace gains at reduced wattage. The 5050e in this motherboard should perform up in the 64x2 5600+'s range. Maybe even higher! Amd has just walked smak into the middle of Media Center/IGP Solution computers, and proved they own the market! Second place is no longer good enough, and AMD is going to sell a ton of the 708G chipsets and the "e" CPUs to go with them. AMD can finally start to make some money again! You better get used to seeing computers like these!

You are going to see a lot of them in the not too distant future. I'm hoping it's my next case!

Russ

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. November 2008 @ 00:52

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the new amd building thread

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork