User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 21:12
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the new amd building thread
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The New AMD Building Thread
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. November 2008 @ 00:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hehe, for HD video that's the perfect board. DX10 Mainstream Gaming though, if only. I'd still want to slap an HD4670 in there for that.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
Advertisement
_
__
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 01:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well i am not going to leave, but from now on i wont discuss the performance of AMDs nor price.....
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 01:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sammorris:
Hehe, for HD video that's the perfect board. DX10 Mainstream Gaming though, if only. I'd still want to slap an HD4670 in there for that.

True! I would like to see the Hybrid CrossFire made compatible with the 48** series. It will never do for a Hard Core gamer like yourself but for the Average computer buyer who wants a Media Center/IGP solution, and he wants to play Crisis, it's like Music from Heaven.

Sure, it's not playable up to your standards but to Mr. Joe Average, all he cares about is that for the first time on a Media PC, he can actually play "Crisis", and that's all that counts!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 01:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeha thats true. and most people, (not enthusiasts) dont know what framer per second is, nor do they go into the settings menu, they just fire away. and anything above 25 doesnt seem choppy, if you dont measure it, so it will be perfect for those kind of people. the 780G has been out for a while now. any new ones on the horizon with a 4 series intergrated chipset?

also is AM3 basically AM2+ but with DDR3 support?
_
21. November 2008 @ 01:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is AM3 semi-backwards compatible with AM2 like AM2+ is?
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 01:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
spamual & shambles,
The answer to both questions is Yes!

I think I saw a motherboard the other day that had both DDR2 and DDR3 for AMD. I didn't think anything about it at the time with DDR2/DDR3 being a fairly normal thing with some Intel boards for quite a while now. I just hope they don't change sockets again for AM3! LOL!!

I've heard a rumor from a friend who has a reasonably substantial interest in AMD, and he says that AM3+ is going to change the way we interface with our computers. Talk about leaving a big door wide open! LOL!! The Speculation alone could go on for months. I love rumors, I've just never been picked to be the person to start one, but I'm pretty sure that's what he intended me to do, so why not! Besides we here, will learn a lot more with a good strong rumor floating around than they would normally tell us anyway, why not! You heard it here first Kiddies!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. November 2008 @ 02:02

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 02:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by spamual:
yeha thats true. and most people, (not enthusiasts) dont know what framer per second is, nor do they go into the settings menu, they just fire away. and anything above 25 doesnt seem choppy, if you dont measure it, so it will be perfect for those kind of people. the 780G has been out for a while now. any new ones on the horizon with a 4 series intergrated chipset?

It's funny because it's been the number one thing on every computer wish list I've seen, for a couple of years now. I guess you have to expect that when roughly 90% of all computers sold have OBG. The 6100 drastically change that a bit followed by 6150 with HD Video. The Intel HD3100 lacks all the good things the HD 3200 has in it for video decoding/encoding. The HD 3100 finishes a distant second to the HD 3200! AMD has just created a market where second place is not an option! I think considering the performance it gives and the performance it can gain with the addition of an HD 3450. They are going to sell a lot of Chipsets and the "e" CPUs to go with them! I seriously think that AMD has found it's salvation! They can finally make some money again!

Russ

spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 03:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
tbh its been out a while, i think they have been making money for awhile :D
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 04:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
more roumers:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option...=10564&Itemid=1

Quote:
We've head a chance to see Deneb, 45nm K10.5 with 6MB L3 cache and we can confirm that this CPU overclocks well. We've seen close to 4GHz overclocked part with AMD stock cooler on air and if you use water you will get over that milestone.

With LN2 you will get even higher than 5GHz and it will run stable in any of these circumstances.

We will get you more details soon, but I've just wanted to share with you guys that Deneb exists and a few people could see and play with it at the Austin, Texas Lone star campus. Stay tuned for more.
seems good.
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 10:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
something concrete?:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11/21/...ned-for-ocing/1

Quote:

AMD's latest 45nm CPU apparently has a large range of temperature operation, and overclocks extremely well.

AMD's latest 45nm CPU apparently has a large range of temperature operation, and overclocks extremely well.
In a ravenously positive post on Theo Valich's blog, formerly of Inquirer and TGDaily fame, he claims that AMD has worked specifically with extreme overclockers for the first time in years to achieve a 45nm design that is claimed to work flawlessly from -200C to +100C!

AMD has tweaked the on-die sensor to not lock the part when below zero and AMD techies have apparently worked around cold bugs in the new K10.5 architecture.

Apparently a with a good aircooled heatsink "4.0 GHz is a given on almost every Black Edition CPU that will hit the stores starting January 8, 2009." Watercooling is then claimed to hit 4.5GHz+ and extreme cooling has hit 6GHz in AMD, claims Theo.

Phenom II will launch as part of the new "Dragon" platform in January, along with the 790GX/FX northbridges and SB750 southbridge that includes the new ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) function. This ACC function is apparently crucial to these overclocking escapades though, effectively making those who own boards with SB600 southbridges or Nvidia chipsets unable to achieve such levels of performance.

We approached Nvidia and asked if future Nvidia MCPs will also feature ACC and it confirmed that it's not an exclusive AMD technology and Nvidia products will feature it. This will enable better choice for the consumer, rather than the one horse race Intel is currently having.

Theo also claims AMD's latest AM3 Phenom II CPUs generate 16GB/s from dual channel DDR3 1,333MHz. While this is clearly less than Intel's triple channel malarkey with Core i7, we've seen in our initial Core i7 review it does little to further performance over dual channel.

The advantage Intel has is a higher integrated memory controller clock and faster core-uncore access over AMD. We can only hope AMD improves this internal latency with K10.5.

Finally, if a Phenom II 940 Black Edition (this is AM2+ however) is "40 percent of the amount you have to shell out for Core i7 Extreme 965," this could be perceived as good value. However, 40 percent of ~£875 = £350, 35 percent more than the very popular Core i7 920 that also hits 4GHz and is just £260. When we consider the platform cost though - AM2+ uses far cheaper DDR2, and AMD motherboards are generally a fraction of the price of the current Intel X58 boards out there, so it could all work out remarkably well balanced. The only final consideration is performance.

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. November 2008 @ 12:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I really don't see what's to be excited about with hybrid crossfire. To play games at all well you need a card like a 4650, and enabling hybrid won't make any difference at all, as the graphics card you've chosen is ten times faster than the onboard. You may as well just have that graphics card and leave it at that.
The very fact that the IGP is too slow to play games properly is why it's no use in Crossfire.

". and anything above 25 doesnt seem choppy, if you dont measure it, so it will be perfect for those kind of people" - haha, depends on the game. Crysis, maybe, but almost any other game you need at least 40, usually about 45.

That fudzilla article is utter bull. No CPU runs at even 4.2Ghz stable on a remotely realistic voltage so far. I don't believe it for a minute.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
updated 10-Dec-13
spamual
Suspended permanently
_
21. November 2008 @ 12:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
which was why i said roumer. and infact bit tech quotes inquierer so thats another odd one. hexus are claiming to have seen plus 6GHz on LN2 which is more than i7 gets on ln2 :D

and yeah, i meant crysis. motion blur helps :D

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. November 2008 @ 12:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yet the game still looks smooth at a low frame rate when you turn off the motion blur... :S

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 16:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
sammorris,
Quote:
". and anything above 25 doesnt seem choppy, if you dont measure it, so it will be perfect for those kind of people" - haha, depends on the game. Crysis, maybe, but almost any other game you need at least 40, usually about 45.

"Those kind of people" account for roughly 90% of all the computers sold and aren't hard core gamers. No, it wouldn't be suitable for you, but to the people that buy the most machines, it means a lot. Also, game compatibility doesn't seem to be an issue as it has in the past with OGB. There are many games that won't play at all, with older OBG technology. The list of games tested in that article that do work is impressive! and with hybrid CrossFire using an inexpensive HD 4350, it's a reasonable alternative for a wide range of people that have been begging for better, higher quality graphics that allows them to play the latest games, for years. Before the 780G chipset with the HD 3200 graphics, this simply wasn't possible!

You wouldn't be satisfied with it, but hundreds of thousands of people will be! And they don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. They can now have that small "Stereo component looking" PC that fits in with their entertainment center that runs cool and quiet, and plays all the new games as well! I for one, will be happy to get rid of the Tower, and have some more room on my destop for other things!
The case I posted will be perfect for my uses!

It's a perfect match for my needs, and with the 4850e or the 5050e in a 780G/HD3200 MB, it will run very cool and will all do the things I do with a computer now, faster and better than my present rig! All without having to OC! I like that! It will look real good with my Digital Audio control Center sitting right on top of it!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. November 2008 @ 16:58

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. November 2008 @ 17:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As I said, the performance of the HD3200 is better than any previous Onboard chipset, but that doesn't make hybrid crossfire any more useful.

updated 10-Dec-13
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 17:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As I said, the performance of the HD3200 is better than any previous Onboard chipset, but that doesn't make hybrid crossfire any more useful.

I think the last line of the AMD Zone article says it all!
"Overall we think the 780G speaks for it's self, integrated graphics you can play today's games on, excellent features, overclockability, power consumption, and price. It is still definitely a more mainstream solution but it's the highest-end of the mainstream and as we mentioned earlier seems like an obvious choice for an HTPC, second box, but more than likely should be a big boon for OEMs and if they make the right choice, finally bring capable integrated graphics to the masses".

I think that the Hybrid CrossFire technology will be refined and improved over time, and you can't take away what all of this is going to do and mean, for 'Mainstream" computing, as the masses have finally gotten what they've been begging for, for years!

Russ

sytyguy
_
21. November 2008 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
theonejrs,

Do you have links to those cases? If you posted them I could not find them.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 17:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sytyguy:
theonejrs,

Do you have links to those cases? If you posted them I could not find them.

Here's the entire listing from Newegg!
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory....a-Center-Cases.
I really like that Antec I posted as for my purposes, it's ideal!

Russ

sytyguy
_
21. November 2008 @ 17:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by theonejrs:

Russ

I was just looking at those, but wanted to be sure.

Many thanks.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 18:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sytyguy:

Russ

I was just looking at those, but wanted to be sure.

Many thanks.

Your Welcome! I just discovered that the Antec only has one ODD bay, not two as I thought, so I've shifted my focus to something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163043. I have all those nice silver drives and It should do the job nicely!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 21:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here's a full review of the GigaByte MA78GM-S2H motherboard from Ligit Reviews!
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/676/1/
Enough goodies to keep anybody happy!

Russ

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. November 2008 @ 21:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Without even seeing the review, that's the very board I recommended my friend who was considering an upgrade. By the looks of things though he'll either simply stick a new CPU in his existing board, or be going with an Intel P31.

Having seen those results, that is better performance than I expected for HD playback. Every IGP i've seen before has been like the 690G they tested, 100% CPU and juddery, the HD3200 has done well.

updated 10-Dec-13

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 21. November 2008 @ 21:23

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. November 2008 @ 21:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Without even seeing the review, that's the very board I recommended my friend who was considering an upgrade. By the looks of things though he'll either simply stick a new CPU in his existing board, or be going with an Intel P31.

Having seen those results, that is better performance than I expected for HD playback. Every IGP i've seen before has been like the 690G they tested, 100% CPU and juddery, the HD3200 has done well.

I think I'll spend the extra $15 for this MB. It's worth it!

Russ

sytyguy
_
21. November 2008 @ 22:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here's a full review of the GigaByte MA78GM-S2H motherboard from Ligit Reviews!
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/676/1/
Enough goodies to keep anybody happy!

Russ

Wow, many thanks!!!
Advertisement
_
__

_
rick5446
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
21. November 2008 @ 23:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
theonejrs..How do this Motherboard stack up against the original one the you recommended
Its a few bucks more but is their any advantage
BIOSTAR A780G M2+ SE AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138134

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the new amd building thread

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork