User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 00:16
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **
Show topics

Forums
Forums
**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 10:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Philips needs to be added to the list . . after all, the good model BenQ drives (1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1655) all use the awesome Philips chipset . . .

My favorite drive is still the DW1640 BenQ with a crossflashed 1655 (to 1650) just behind . . but let me tell you, the Philips SPD2413BD is a great burner . . I'm getting great scans and the darn thing is lightening quick! It will burn my Verbatim 16x +R discs at 20x without sacrificing burn quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827248006

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 10:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I thought Phillips drives were OEM BenQs, not that BenQ used Phillips chipsets? :O

AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 11:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
BenQ DW1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1655 all used Philips chipsets.

Also that wonderful utility, SolidBurn is a Philips creation . . .

Unfortunately, BenQ drives are no longer being manufactured so I started looking around. Being a person who likes to try drives that don't seem to be as popular, I was among the first to fall in love with the BenQ drives. Now, I feel that one of the best is the Philips.

I have quite a selection of drives and of the drives that are currently in production (and easily available) my current favorite is the Philips. It doesn't do LightScribe but I have a HP 740b that I only use for LightScribe . .

All in all, drives in general seem to be better now than the drives that were available 5 years ago

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 11:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
All in all, drives in general seem to be better now than the drives that were available 5 years ago
Agreed. I was by no means "in the know", so to speak, 5 years ago (I'd have been 10 5 yrs ago :P), but I have been around for over a year now, I can say the same in that small space of time.

docTY
_
16. May 2007 @ 14:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@catfreak

hi buddy, guess who? LOL

is there a Philips SATA burner you would recommend at this point? i have since stopped purchasing IDE burners and have taken the SATA route, however, my success (or lack thereof) in SATA opticals has been poor, returned a few Plextor and Sony/NEC Optiarc models already :( wanted to try Pioneer's latest SATA drive, but the 2 places i ordered from one etailer sent me the wrong drive (returned for refund) and the other was backordered the day after i placed the order, so no go there.

i still remember years back where you made me a loyal Benq drive fan and have since gone through (3) 1640s, and (2) 1650s; they've served their purposes and after thousands of burns, they have been retired from my burning arsenal (still serve as fast rippers, but burning DVD+R no more/occasional DVD-R is still fine) :)

just wondering if you have any experience/insight into a good quality/reliable SATA optical, i need to replace my aging PATA/IDE opticals (Benq, Pioneer, Liteon, NEC, Sony - various models of each) before i'm completely outdated with old tech. :)

thanks and hope you have been well~

docTY

Sickley
_
18. May 2007 @ 14:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
here's a cool link that mort81 showed me that may help people buying oem drives, or if your just curious on who actually made your drive.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters
i took a look at some benq's and it looks like a number of the DO use the philips chipsets
Sickley
_
18. May 2007 @ 14:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters?DVDn...0&Search=Search

looks like your philips might be a liteon catfreak ;)

liteons win!
ksaunders
Inactive
_
3. July 2007 @ 15:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am looking for a new DVD-R drive. Top I want to spend is 150.00. I have an hp dvd740e now and its not seeing DVD-R at all. I like the lightscibe feature but hardly use I just print labels instead. I would like external also. I burn 3-6 times a week. Can you give me a few options ripper?

Thanks in Advance
Sickley
_
3. July 2007 @ 19:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@doc
good to see you outside your thread :) you do wander around a bit here at AD don't you?
and don't worry old man, im still not up to sata or firewire myself and i'm a young'n. theres just not that much of a benifit imo to getting either. (well firewire would be a great jump over usb i guess.)

@ksaunders

i always have and always will be a fan of lite-ons. i've had a few external usb's from them and they have always been great drives, they also are available for quite reasonable prices. of course if you can find a benq i would suggest that as well, but they can be hard to come by.

newegg.com has a few ext. liteys (click that link)and they are under $60 :) and they are faster than the ext. plextor newegg has for around $140 (hmmm.....)

it shouldn't be hard to find a good drive for under 150, even with ls most drives aren't going to be that high.

_
6. July 2007 @ 06:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ripper
Can't believe I missed this post until now!

Great info and you even have my 2 fav's listed :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. July 2007 @ 06:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Heya :-)

Hehe, how'd you miss it?! Duh :-P

Hope you're OK - heard about the op. Hope everything is alright :-)

_
6. July 2007 @ 06:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah pretty much ok :)
What's ironic is this injury was also caused by staying in shape - then again I am a klutz :)
Doing the op between semesters - eck!!

Hey and if you don't mind I might link to this thread at another site in the next day or so - giving you all the credit of course!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. July 2007 @ 07:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh right! What did you do exactly? >.<

And sure, no probs Karen. I don't mind in the slightest :-)

_
6. July 2007 @ 10:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'll do a post over at BB sometime today or tomorrow w/ the details - pretty boring I think :)

I'll post a link here when I post your guide. Tks there young ripper :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. July 2007 @ 11:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Okie, sure. And it's alright :)

_
6. July 2007 @ 19:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What do people think of the new Plextor 800a? Or should I try to find a 716a on ebay.. My BenQ Dw1655 wants to retire. It's starting to make this really nasty grinding noise.. oddly when i push on it from the top through my casing this stops.. sometimes.. in kind of an unpredictable varying kind of way. Maybe something got loose inside the drive?
cybrspwn
_
7. July 2007 @ 17:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i found a fast and reliable dl dvd burner the pioneer dvr 112d its the fastest of its class and i couldnt find any problems on the net that hav occured with this 1
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. July 2007 @ 01:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For the most part Pioneer's are great drives - you got a good one there.

cybrspwn
_
8. July 2007 @ 17:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ripper:
For the most part Pioneer's are great drives - you got a good one there.
even some pioneers are crapy not a lot of them i guess and the dvr 112d is $38 at centrecom sunshine, VIC,Australia and its black/beige
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. July 2007 @ 23:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
even some pioneers are crapy not a lot of them i guess
That's why I put "For the most part". Learn to read and punctuate, please.

_
18. August 2007 @ 13:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How cheap can you get a CD drive for? 50 bucks? 100?

Dont die on me...
_
18. August 2007 @ 13:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh my much much less than that! Where are you located slimmy?
If you just want a cd burner - $20

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
19. August 2007 @ 01:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
May I ask why you want merely a CD writer?

Hi binkie :-)

How are you?

cybrspwn
_
19. August 2007 @ 04:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
what country r u from binki7 and ripper
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
19. August 2007 @ 05:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm in the United States. I think I could possibly end up going to best buy today.

Dont die on me...

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork