User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 12:58
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **
Show topics

Forums
Forums
**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Trane1
_
21. September 2008 @ 03:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by varnull:
Theres probably a good manufacturing reason why dvd burners only go so slow on cd's..
personally I don't think dvd burners do a very good job burning cd's.. which is why I have a few cd only burners hanging around.

Good point. So you think that CD Burners will always be available even with the advent of DVD Burners? Seems to me like they might eventually get phased out
Advertisement
_
__
ncasx
_
1. November 2008 @ 15:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Which one should I get?
[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=5&Description=&Type=&N=2010100005+1038406818
+1036506653+1038206813&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&Manufactory
=1336&Manufactory=11747&Manufactory=1167&PropertyCodeValue=365%3A6653
&PropertyCodeValue=382%3A6813&PropertyCodeValue=384%3A6818][/url]

i used to always buy nec, but imnot sure, what to buy. I dont care about lightscribe.

thanks

edited by creaky - above url link was destroying page margins - to access it just paste the different lines back together in the browser's address box

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. January 2009 @ 18:35

bratcher
_
1. November 2008 @ 15:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't see any problems burning CD's on a DVD burner. Works well for me although I have a 48x CD burner & a 52x CD burner on a shelf from former computers I unce used.
_
1. November 2008 @ 18:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ncasx
Anyone one of them would be good - I'm a big Pioneer and LiteOn fan and that open box Pioneer is a steal for 18 bucks (not sure on newegg'e warranty on open box).
I've also heard good things about the Sony NRC Optiarc too.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
_
4. January 2009 @ 01:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is a great drive, for anyone who cares: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2009 @ 06:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Spam post on my own thread - apologies, I was testing something, and if you say "You should PM yourself to test things", I'll shoot you.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. March 2009 @ 06:09

_
7. March 2009 @ 09:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
if you say "You should PM yourself to test things", I'll shoot you.

You'd shoot a lady :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. March 2009 @ 18:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh I'd never shoot you K! How is life treating you?

_
8. March 2009 @ 17:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey J - well life would be treating me better if I'd hit the lottery for a few million :D Still the same ole same ole here work and school and trying to have some fun in between!
Hope all is good with you across the pond!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. March 2009 @ 18:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Within the last couple of monthe, I purchased 2 LG GH22NS30 drives from NE . . total cost was less than $50 shipped.

Great drives, surprisingly quiet and my scans are excellent . . .

Hello Binkie, long time since I gave you a 'shout out'
How have you been?

Victor

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
grampyga
_
8. March 2009 @ 18:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
(edit deleted, I must have been wrong place)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. March 2009 @ 20:35

_
8. March 2009 @ 22:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey there catfreak!
Yeah it's been awhile. Good to see you're still stopping by!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. March 2009 @ 14:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by binkie7:
Hey J - well life would be treating me better if I'd hit the lottery for a few million :D Still the same ole same ole here work and school and trying to have some fun in between!
Hope all is good with you across the pond!
Hehe, good stuff. I'd like to win the lottery too, but life on this side of the pond isn't too bad :)

Pop by again soon!

Asafa
_
27. August 2009 @ 14:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It is my understanding that the Pioneer 115d/215d/116d/216d are top notch drives. I've looked everywhere for them, but nobody seems to have stock (I'm in the UK).

So I want to ask what a good alternative would be? It needs to be IDE and be able to burn 360 backups (so dual-layer and change booktype)
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. August 2009 @ 15:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Samsung and LG both make excellent drives that will fill your needs . . .

Asafa
_
27. August 2009 @ 15:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by catfreak:
Samsung and LG both make excellent drives that will fill your needs . . .
Thanks!

Are there any particular models that stand out from the rest, or would any Samsung/LG be just as reliable?
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. August 2009 @ 17:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I live in the US and use SATA . . so I'm not sure exactly what models are available in IDE . . but anything made by Samsung and LG is going to make you happy . .

_
27. August 2009 @ 18:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here is a link of some IDE burners from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...406818&name=IDE

AfterDawn Addict
_
27. August 2009 @ 23:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My last 5 DVD-RW drives

LG SATA
Pioneer SATA
Sony/Optiarc IDE
Sony IDE (premature death within warranty period)
Lite-ON IDE

I was happy with all 5. I am VERY hard on burners. I replace every 6-8 months but I feel I've gotten my money's worth from each on.

All were $40.00 USD or less.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. August 2009 @ 23:48

Asafa
_
28. August 2009 @ 01:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for all the help. I finally decided to go with the Samsung SH-S222A

My previous drive was an IDE Sony Q30A/Lite-on 1635S
It didn't get any use for 2 years, but when I did start using it, it burned perfectly (however, the drive didn't eject properly, even the emergency hole didn't work so you had to hit the eject button 40~ times before it gave in). Then it just started giving me coasters, and soon it didn't recognise anything at all. I updated the firmware and cross-flashed it to no avail, but everything has to die eventually, right? I just hope I get more use from the drive this time around.

Thanks again.
Advertisement
_
__

_
August59
_
31. December 2009 @ 01:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Any suggestions for a 9.5mm SATA DVD/RW DL drive?

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork