User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 16:37
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **
Show topics

Forums
Forums
**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. March 2007 @ 04:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok, so I have noticed there are quite a few threads asking about which Dvd Burner is best, or what to look for, so I decided to post this, which is a basic guideline as to what you should be looking for in a drive, and certain makes also.

So...

What Features Does My Dvd Burner Need To Have??
There are a few features that are necessities for Dvd Burning. These include:

* Booktype/Bitset Ability - This feature allows you to set the booktype of your DVD+R disks to DVD-ROM. This increases compatability of disks with dvd players, as DVD-ROM is the format that commercially bought Dvds are in. See this for a more indepth explanation.

NB: If your drive does not support booktype/bitset then do your research into hacked firmware; it is possible to enable these features on some drives with the correct know-how.

* Supports All Formats of DVD Media - To ensure you don't encounter any unwanted incompatibility issues when burning, it is best if your new burner supports all the formats. Most new ones now-a-days support all these formats. Just to recap, they are... DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW + DL media(s).

* Dvd Burn Speeds - Your new burner should be able to burn DVD+R at a minimum of 16x. There are new drives out which can burn upto 24x speed, but as of yet, there is no media to burn at that speed with, so it is not as important. However, there is 16x media now, and burning at that speed is becoming more and more desirable as technology moves forward.

Now, these ones are optional...

* Lightscribe - Lightscribe is a feature which allows you to put an image onto your disk via the Burner's laser. Note that you need special discs to do this and can wear away @ your laser.

*SATA or ATA (IDE) connection? - SATA drives are now commonplace in the DVD Burning market, and allow for faster speeds such as the latest 24x drives we are seeing. The following quote was added a few years back when SATA was still relatively new technology in the burning world and offered some useful insight. However, now in 2010 I would recommend buying a SATA burner if your motherboard/PC allows.

Quote taken from webmasterworld.com, written by user SEOMike, with his opinions on Sata vs Ata (IDE).

Quote:
While specing out some new computers I was thinking about the benefits of sata vs. ATA (AKA: ide) I did some checking around and didn?t find too many comparison reviews between the two technologies. I thought this information would be useful for my fellow WebmasterWorld members so I?ve decided to write a digest of my comparative research.

The ATA standard dates back to 1986 and is based on a 16-bit parallel interface has undergone many evolutions since its introduction to increase the speed and size of the drives that it can support. The latest standard is ATA-7 which supports data transfer rates up to 133MB/second. According to different articles I?ve found, this standard is supposed to be the last update for this aging technology.

In 2000 it was realized that parallel ATA was reaching the limit of it?s data transfer capability. 133MB/second is the limit of the technology due to data loss and electromagnetic interference. This prompted the invention of the Serial ATA interface (sata). sata is a fairly recent standard and has only been around for a few years. Because sata can support data transfers at about 150MB/second. Future versions of sata (like sata 2) will support data transfer of up to a projected 600 MB/second.

One benefit of sata for system builders is the fact that the cables which connect the drive are so much smaller than the regular tick grey ribbons which connect ide drives. The reduced size of the wires allow for better airflow which is becoming increasingly important as processors get faster and as systems support more RAM. All that speed and memory can make a lot of heat as you are well aware. Anything that helps keep your PC running cool is a good development.

Another noticeable change is the different power connector. Even though some drives still offer the 5v 4 pin power connector, most sata drives come with a 15pin 250mV power connector. This reduces the load on the computer?s power supply which will also help decrease in-case temperatures.

One final benefit of the sata interface is the ability to hot swap drives. Hot swap means that you can pull your drive from your machine and replace it with a different disk without restarting your computer. This will be especially helpful for people who are not familiar with configuring a RAID array for backups.

In conclusion, I?m excited for the advance in technology that sata has brought to the world. It?s been almost 20 years since ide was introduced and it's about time the technology was updated.
What Make of Dvd Burner Do I Need to Look for??
As with all tech things, there are good brands, and there are bad ones. These are the brands you should look at buying.

-Pioneer (personal choice)
-Sony Optiarc (NEC)
-LiteOn
-LG (Do your research, not all of their drives are good)
-Plextor (usually upper end of the price bracket)
-BenQ (Not in production under BenQ anymore - look for OEM Philips drives. "BenQ DW1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1655 all used Philips chipsets" - catfreak)

If you still have questions on in depth matters, such as media compatibility with certain drives, or you'd like our opinions on a certain drive model, then post that in the forum.

Happy Burning!

Last Updated: 14/03/10 by Ripper

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. March 2010 @ 06:33

Advertisement
_
__
_
24. March 2007 @ 08:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ripper

Excellent guide; should be required reading before anyone posts a thread asking what DVD Burner to buy.
dakewlndn
_
24. March 2007 @ 16:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sticky Worthy for da newbs
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. March 2007 @ 02:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks you two.

ddp
_
25. March 2007 @ 16:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
stickied
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. March 2007 @ 22:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks ddp :)

cybrspwn
_
31. March 2007 @ 00:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
lite-on u gotta b kiddin there the crapiest all there models hav crap lasers or something because after a lil while they stop burning and plextor i neva c any of them and only heard of them a few days ago pioneers probably the best considering i neva used or seen plextor if only denon made dvd burners there the best there stereo systems r at least 10,000 aud$ they may also own part of pioneer or sommmething like that altho u did say 2 do research on these drives but i now hav info 2 help but i still need 2 no the model name example pioneer dvr-s806 realy almost every1 needs to only hav 1 that burns at 16x for dvd and no laser or burning problems o and no aspi and firmware problems thats wat i need plz give model name and wat company makes the model

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. April 2007 @ 08:55

AfterDawn Addict
_
31. March 2007 @ 00:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
lite-on u gotta b kiddin there the crapiest all there models hav crap lasers or something because after a lil while they stop burning
Could you get any more ignorant? The fact that your drives don't work after [set period] does NOT mean that the brand or drive is to blame. It could be a bad connection, not up to date firmware, software issues etc etc.

Quote:
plextor i neva c any of them and only heard of them a few days ago
Yeah, and? Plextor went "out of production" but their drives are still around if you know where to look. The fact you hadn't heard of them till "a few days ago" doesn't mean jack to me.

Quote:
pioneers probably the best considering i neva used or seen plextor
You're really not qualified to make that decision.

Quote:
if only denon made dvd burners
They don't and [most likely] never will.

Quote:
and no laser or burning problems o and no aspi and firmware problems thats wat i need plz give model name and wat company makes the model
RE my first quote, all of that is not necessarily the drive's fault.

Now, if you'd like to get off my thread and go back to your own one where I will assist you further (on the agreement that you learn to type properly, punctuate and knock off the bold!!).

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 31. March 2007 @ 00:53

_
31. March 2007 @ 06:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cybrspwn - cum back wen u've learnt to type in plain engrish!

http://www.Lonero.net - friend of the forums, great guitar player
#afterdawn (well i have no idea where it is anymore)
orion6192
_
8. April 2007 @ 15:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm in market for new drive - maybe. I currently have a Plextor PX-708A and have loved it until the last 2-3 weeks. Playback issues - but the thing was installed in December 2003 and has burned ALOT of movies. WHat do you mean they went "out of production"? I see they are launching the TurboPlex 800A in April (this month) 18X +/- single and not sure of the dual layer speeds.

Any thoughts?
cybrspwn
_
11. April 2007 @ 04:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I use bold for those that skip past what they think is uneeded info.
I neva said that denon did or will make dvd drives for pc.
I neva said anything bad/good about plextor I just neva seen or heard of them i do live in australia.
Pioneer hav been known 2 be the best dvd company other than denon
and I just want 2 find out what brand and model name is most reliable for burning no burning prob's like laser stuff ups.
Lite-on hav a big rep for laser and burning prob's my bro and a lot of pro amatuers and in between have noticed this by a large number ask anyone that has a lite-on/lite on it dvd drive they use low grade lasers or something as a way of profit im not complaining or anything just pointing out the info I have learned and explaining what I meant by those comments

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. April 2007 @ 08:54

AfterDawn Addict
_
13. April 2007 @ 05:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by orion6192:
I'm in market for new drive - maybe. I currently have a Plextor PX-708A and have loved it until the last 2-3 weeks. Playback issues - but the thing was installed in December 2003 and has burned ALOT of movies. WHat do you mean they went "out of production"? I see they are launching the TurboPlex 800A in April (this month) 18X +/- single and not sure of the dual layer speeds.

Any thoughts?
You say playback issues.. well, what media are you using? What burn speeds? What file format are you burning? etc etc.. more info please.

@cybrspwn: Get off my thread, jackass.

ddp
_
13. April 2007 @ 08:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cybrspwn, i unbold to make a point which you better learn or leave this site!!
cybrspwn
_
15. April 2007 @ 22:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wats wrong with bold its not an offense or something not being a smartass ur the only 1 with a bold font prob
cybrspwn
_
15. April 2007 @ 22:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by cybrspwn:
wats wrong with bold its not an offense or something not being a smartass ur the only 1 with a bold font proband it seems wen i re go to this thread the font isn't bold anyway
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 23:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually, ddp and I both have a problem, so that makes two of us. I can also get you a list of hundreds of names who would have a problem reading these forums in bold.

cybrspwn
_
16. April 2007 @ 00:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
u still haven't told me y, just asking?!
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. April 2007 @ 01:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's not as easy to read, looks worse when used frequently etc etc

I could go on, but you're not worth my time. And btw, you said...

Quote:
I use bold for those that skip past what they think is uneeded info.
...well guess what?! Your posts are hardly required info, now are they! What value do you or your posts serve on this forum? I'm no longer obliged to help you at all, in any way.

Keep this up and you're on your way to severe sh!tcanning. You do realise that you have been asked by two moderators to a) type properly and b) knock off the bold. Do you have no respect for the rules of the site, the moderators requests or anyone/thing in general?

Btw, idiot, your posts aren't bold anymore cos a mod edited them. Yeah, they can do that.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. April 2007 @ 01:16

_
16. April 2007 @ 02:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh damn it i suspended Ripper by mistake, i thought i'd clicked on cybrspwn, i'll see if Janne's about to contact an Admin. Sorry Ripper :(

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
_
16. April 2007 @ 03:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sorry Ripper, just awaiting your status to be changed back from newbie :P

Even us evil mods make mistakes :P

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. April 2007 @ 03:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
LOL!

Don't worry about it. We all know how temperamental that ban button can be creaky ;-)

Thanks for sorting it quickly, though.

Edit: All back to normal now, ty

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. April 2007 @ 03:39

Sickley
_
16. May 2007 @ 07:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm suprised you didnt mention benq or sony, (both very good in my opinion)

also to be noted that drives in some cases should be treated like media when buying them; that is to say that not all models are manufactured by the company selling them.

and cybrspwn i love my lite-on. i can burn on any media at any speed with out burn/playback problems (except cmc's and prico's of course lol)
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 07:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I'm suprised you didnt mention benq or sony, (both very good in my opinion)

also to be noted that drives in some cases should be treated like media when buying them; that is to say that not all models are manufactured by the company selling them.
I was sure at least BenQ was on there. Well, anyway, I've added it. Lol. Sony isn't being added - most of their drives are OEM anyway, I think.

@2nd point...

Yes, there is no section on the guide about retail or OEM drives, i'll add it when I can be bothered to write something about it. :)
Well pointed out though.

Sickley
_
16. May 2007 @ 08:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
sony isn't being added - most of their drives are OEM anyway, I think.
this is true but i still check for sony drives when i buy burners since they can be benqs :D
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. May 2007 @ 08:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, I was pretty sure most of them are OEM. Most of their drives tend to be Lite-Ons.. I think ;)

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork