User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 01:22
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **
Show topics

Forums
Forums
**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
19. August 2007 @ 07:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ripper:
May I ask why you want merely a CD writer?

Hi binkie :-)

How are you?
I just want to be able to play cd games and such.

Dont die on me...
Advertisement
_
__
_
19. August 2007 @ 10:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
slimmy I'm in the US too (ripper is in the uk).
Check out newegg for some great deals.
You might want to look at getting a dvd burner - will burn & read cds & dvds. Look at LiteOn or Pioneer - they shouldn't be more than $40.
CD burner at newegg is $20 or less.

Hi Ripper
Doing ok til tomorrow - op day - eck!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
cybrspwn
_
19. August 2007 @ 22:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I recommend u get the pioneer 112d black dl dvd burner 18x i know here in Australia u can get it 4 $38 100% brand new not sure about America and if u want the sata version of it its the pioneer 212d sata dvd re-writer, Plus i looked on the net and haven't found any problems with these 2 drives example burning and reading prob's as i mentioned b4 unlike lite-on wich my bro got with his p4 and it stoped reading and writing all together and he got it 2 now read and write dvd but not cd so he has 2 switch drives when using cd

i know im not good with punctuation and that stuff

good price
good quality
good brand
good speeds
all good
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. August 2007 @ 00:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh right K, hope it all goes ok! Get in touch over at BB or something maybe? :-)

And I'm with them, a dvd burner is a better option as it's will still let you play/burn cds anyway. the price difference is minimal for the advantages gained.

DHua
_
12. October 2007 @ 17:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't know much about computer drives. My PC came with a drive, as all should. How do I tell if mine can burn DVDs or not? I am guessing it has something to do with the logos on the front of the drive. Mine just says Compact Disk ReWritable High Speed, and nothing else.
_
12. October 2007 @ 19:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi DHua
Look up the make and model & google it or post it back here to find out if it can burn dvd's.
To find the make and model right click on my computer>properties>hardware tab>device manager. Click on the + next to DVD/CD Rom drives - the make on model will be listed there.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
voicenyc
_
28. October 2007 @ 11:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've been getting the cycle redundancy check error too much now on my home pc which has a SONY DVD RW DRU-500A burner in it. I've switched media and same thing. At first I was using dvd xcopy and never had an problem unitl recently. I then moved to dvd shrink and now I'm still getting the error. I than tried AnyDVD and Clone DVD. Same results.

So I'm looking into buying a new burner. I want to be able to use it with my IBM T40 notebook and my home pc in my office. So I've narrowed my choices down to the Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-212DBK - OEM based on the reviews I've read about hear.

I want to place it in this External Drive Enclosure.

My question I have is about the SATA connection. Will this matter since I'm using a External Drive Enclosure? If yes is there a way around it or should I just buy the ATA version?

Another issue I have is I like the Lighscribe feature since i don't burn a lot of dvds the train on the laser shouldn't be affected too much. so which burner would be my next choice that has this feature?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. October 2007 @ 11:34

cleanface
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
13. November 2007 @ 11:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks guys! The info help me out alot. I brought my Lite-On DVD Burner at Wal-mart for $44.00 dollars in the United States. I purchase a HP computer from the same place and it came a Samsung DVD Burner which I tried to add DVD-ROM with no avail.

Keep the inside information flowing!

Wise men don't need advice; fools won't take it. -Ben Franklin
AfterDawn Addict
_
13. November 2007 @ 12:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Glad you found the info useful :-)
cybrspwn
_
14. November 2007 @ 02:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wise men don't need advice; fools won't take it. -Ben Franklin
actually a true wise man knows.......... ....wen to run like a little bitch *runs away* (got it from an anime called desert punk lol)
cybrspwn
_
14. November 2007 @ 02:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i still reckon the pioneer dvr 112d is da best $35 aud here black and no burning issues even over the sata version reason is ata is supported 100% sata im not sure wen it comes 2 cd/dvd

remember

good brand
good price
good color
good speed
good quality
all good
Frankwm
_
15. November 2007 @ 03:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
While my SL burns are fine, I'm getting really crappy DL burns, primarily on the return path, i.e. the second layer, especially towards the end of the burn.

I'm using decent software, AnyDVD + CloneDVD2. I'm using the best available media, TY for SL & Verbatim for DL. My current burner is a Sony SL cross flashed to a LiteOn DL. I've tried all the software suggestions from this forum, but still no luck. My conclusion is that I need a decent burner.

The consensus of opinion seems to be that both the Philips SPD2413BD and the Pioneer DVR-112D are both decent burners. They are currently both selling at NewEgg for just under $30. Is there any preference of one over the other?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. November 2007 @ 03:53

cybrspwn
_
15. November 2007 @ 09:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well if it helps pioneer could b owned by denon under another name and i know there stereo systms r over $10,000 aud because there the best but pioneer r rated as the best other than denon i think
_
15. November 2007 @ 11:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Frankwm
I'd go with the Pioneer or even a LiteOn from newegg - my 2 favs.
I use 2 LiteOns for dual layer burning and so far they have been decent using Verbatim, Ricoh and Ritek.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. November 2007 @ 12:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In my opinion, as far as DL burning, the Litey & Pioneer are equal . . .

However . . . If you plan to burn +R discs, the Litey is superior while for -R disc burning, I prefer the Pioneer

Both will booktype DL discs while only the Litey booktypes +R (without using hacked firmware)

Just my 8˝˘ worth . .

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
Frankwm
_
15. November 2007 @ 21:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the input folks. I'll go with the Pioneer 112D. Hope it solves my problem.
_
15. November 2007 @ 21:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Another suggestion - is the Sony's firmware up to date?
Though it sounds like an older burner so yeah I think you best bet would be a newer burner.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Frankwm
_
15. November 2007 @ 21:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by binkie7:
Another suggestion - is the Sony's firmware up to date?

If memory serves me correctly, I updated the firmware either late last year or early this year.

Considering how inexpensive DL burners are now, I'm quite happy getting a new one.

Just out of curiousity, if decent DL burners can be had for around $30, how much do top-of-line burners cost? Or are these considered pretty much top?
_
15. November 2007 @ 22:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Those are pretty much top of the line so that's about the going rate now.
Plextor was the 'king' of burners and they run about 3x as much but since they no longer make their own burners I'm not sure how they stack up anymore.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Frankwm
_
17. November 2007 @ 15:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Installed my new Pioneer 112D today & updated the firmware.

I burned a movie which had previously produced a lousy burn (coaster). As part of the test, I even used a lesser quality media (Memorex DL brand, Ritek manufacture). Played perfectly on my standalone player. Looks like my problem is solved.

Many thanks to all you knowledgeable folks on this forum.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. November 2007 @ 15:05

_
17. November 2007 @ 15:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good deal Frankwm :)
Looks like you have many good dual layer burns now.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
ben7337
_
30. December 2007 @ 00:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Did I get a bad Pioneer 112D or something? Back in May I got one and have burned at most 250 discs, and now it is making clicking sounds that match with the activity light flickering and it had issues accessing data on a disk which may or may not have been it's fault, and it just burned a bad disk where one of 15 episodes was completely trashed and nero said that the burn failed. Could this even remotely be caused by outdated firmware or a bad connection? I wouldn't think it could but just wondering.
_
30. December 2007 @ 00:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It can't hurt to check those 2 out. I'd definitely keep the firmware up to date.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
ben7337
_
30. December 2007 @ 01:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well having looked around quickly it seems the 1.15 firmware I got before was up to date and windows says that the driver is up to date. I took the case out, cleaned off a bit of dust on the outside, blew on and reconnected the power and IDE cables and tried letting ti access a dvd, things still make noise there there seems to be a bit less. Would you say that my drive is dying? would it make sense to get another drive? while it seems sata and ide don't really offer any major advantages over each other, I do find the IDE cable to be bulky and pointless, but the 212D by pioneer seems to be horrible, and the 215 is not available in the USA yet for some reason. Are there any drives that are known to be good for under $40 or under $100 that are guaranteed to last at least a year? I would feel safe with a NEC but there don't seem to be any around, Liteon makes so many drives and has such mixed reviews, it is just annoying finding a good drive.

I can say that I have almost no real requirements though, as long as it burns all types of dvds/cds it is fine by me, I really don't even want lightscribe and can live with sata or ide as they each have their disadvantages (sata would likely require me to buy another sata cable unless I find retail). So what would you recommend?
Advertisement
_
__

_
ben7337
_
30. December 2007 @ 01:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wait 1.15 is not the newest, I got a bit mixed up betwen firmware and drivers at one point as I was on an eu site and it made it seem as if the frimware was different between countries (I figured it could be based on region) and I was looking for drivers not firmware but 1.24 is the newest, I doubt it will do much as the drive is probably just getting old but here goes nothing.

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > dvd / blu-ray drives > **read first** dvd burners.. what to look for?! **

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork